What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

@kasie 2m

CONGRESS (TEMPORARILY?) PARALYZED 

— House still finalizing technical corrections to coronavirus bill
— @replouiegohmert currently holding it up anyway, insisting bill be read on the floor, which would require House returning 
— Senate fighting about other issues

i find myself messing with my beard and chin alot when reading . need to tie a rope around my body & arm
Disclosure:

I can limit face-touching, but only briefly. I have some mild eye ailments that (IMHO) necessitate fairly frequent eye-rubbing.

That, plus general germo-phobia, leads me to keep my hands uber-clean -- I need them to rub my eyes. Call me Monk, I guess.
I had an epic beard going, but with the weather turning and this virus I figured it was time to shave it off (I normally shave it off once or twice a year). Felt as I was always rubbing my fingers through it, so better to be safe.

Well #### - now I have a shaved face that I haven't seen or touched in 7 months. I'm fingering my face more than ever

In all fairness this is a tale about 72 hours if I read it right. So, should be prefaced with "preliminary observations"
If you Waingro's post describes a small sample size over a brief time period, point taken.

I will say I'm seeing a good number of accounts of under-50 people being laid low. Until recently, I thought that 30- and 40-somethings were generally skipping through COVID.

Yeah, a lot of them. Europe is just a big red dot now.
Europe is handling it far better.  They are in quarantine and lockdowns and doing a much better job of testing.  I suspect that as bad as it looks there right now, you'll start to see a decrease in new infections in European countries.  

This is what's truly scary.  In our town we have one serious case.  Guy is 40 years old.   I know someone who knows 2 people ages 28 and 30 who are in serious condition.  It's starting to feel like this isn't an older person problem as we were led to believe.   
Who lead you to believe that? Because I'd distance myself from them or the source.

@kasie 2m

CONGRESS (TEMPORARILY?) PARALYZED 

— House still finalizing technical corrections to coronavirus bill
— @replouiegohmert currently holding it up anyway, insisting bill be read on the floor, which would require House returning 
— Senate fighting about other issues
There is a joke in there somewhere but now is not the time.

Government just released another statement saying there's a "misinformation campaign" trying to cause "undue panic" and that there's no national quarantine.

moleculo said:
you literally said worst case, this doesn't sniff top 10.  maybe you have a different understanding of "worst case" than I do.

ETA: regarding the bolded above: if true, thats thanks due to social distancing and stores closing - the exact things you are claiming are killingthe economy.  You don't get to cry about the measures being taken at the same time claim the benefit from said measures.
Worst case scenarios are for projections which are reasonably possible.  Something with an 0.001 percent chance do no qualify.  

If the district does decide to extend this break, I will be posting daily assignments on google classroom with instructions.  I will also be available for questions and guidance as well.  Hopefully it does not come to that, but we are preparing for online learning should the need arise.  More information will be available to you as time goes on.

This was from my daughter's middle school teacher. 

My take away from this is - our school system is absolutely planning on extending our break (currently to April 6) - hence preparing teachers to move course work online.

I will say I'm seeing a good number of accounts of under-50 people being laid low. Until recently, I thought that 30- and 40-somethings were generally skipping through COVID.
Ii think we have seen that in Italy, where recently the ICU cases turned younger. That would seems to contradict the farality rates of the Wuhan study by WHO, but at the same time you have to realize we have no idea of the cause of this supposed shift (have these younger people been sick for a longer time than earlier patients? What about extraneous factors (someone mentioned vaping) etc)?

Number of new MN cases by age:

20-29:  6

30-39:  2

40-49:  2

50-59:  3

60+:  1  (94 years old ☹️)
Guess: old people have been paying more attention to this, reacted quicker and reacted more dramatically.

ETA:  "cases" hit everyone.  It's serious cases that skew old.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just really don't get this - how is literally every other country apparently better than us at testing for this?  It makes no sense to me.
Rules and Regulations?? Nothing in this country gets done quickly due to the amount of red tape that's involved. 
Right on. The non-political answer is that the U.S. healthcare system** is not built to be nimble or to turn on a dime in response to rapidly-changing conditions.

** "Healthcare system" here meaning not just providers + facilities ... but also health-care research, manufacturing, and pharmaceuticals.

snogger said:
How many of you have curtailed spending now??
I hate to be "that guy" but.....
We have estimates coming in to extend and screen in our front porch for this spring.. Cost is anywhere from $6,000 to $9,000.

But with all the uncertainty with how this is going to shake out we've decided to hold off on large purchases.
I want to think since I am in IT and our company sells applications and other items for businesses we should be ok.. But so much is unknown right now I can't justify spending that much on something that is not essential.

Which brings me back to my original question as I fear many are thinking the same thing... less buying leads to less money in the economy which leads to less buying, etc.. :oldunsure:  
We actually have some major purchases (siding, new boiler) that we need to do in the next few years so we may actually spend a bunch on those projects if/when recession hits and the prices drop. 

For folks in states that have had sit-down restaurants shut down.... does that include fast food?  Are they doing drive-through only?  

For now I'm still working from my office and absolutely need the hour away from my desk.  

For folks in states that have had sit-down restaurants shut down.... does that include fast food?  Are they doing drive-through only?  

For now I'm still working from my office and absolutely need the hour away from my desk.  
Drive through only...I believe

Basically open dining areas closed 

Basically any news source for the past month.  Over 65 and underlying conditions was the overall message.
You should have come here sooner.

Seriously, while I know this skews toward the older (as pretty much any virus does because well, they're old) I wasn't under the impression that this was laser focused on that group. Seems like a pretty non-discriminate virus that really only leaves the very young alone.

parasaurolophus said:
My search for sanitizer has come to an end in a fun way. 

Learned how to turn 70% isopropyl into 90+ % isopropyl. Then mixed with aloe. Fun science experiment to do with kids.

I had three bottles of 70% in house but hadnt been able to find 90%. You take 70% and mix with salt 4 parts liquid to 1 part salt. Then shake the heck out of it. Then let the salt settle out. You will see a distinct line in the container where the alcohol and water have separated. Then just carefully remove the alcohol with a baster. Then mix three parts of that to one part aloe. And Wa La! 

Eta: thanks to @siffoin for unintentionally leading me on the path by giving me a lead on a product that involved salt and chemistry. 
Is it a crystal blue color?

This is what's truly scary.  In our town we have one serious case.  Guy is 40 years old.   I know someone who knows 2 people ages 28 and 30 who are in serious condition.  It's starting to feel like this isn't an older person problem as we were led to believe.   
Who lead you to believe that? Because I'd distance myself from them or the source.
"Elderly person illness" has been the party line for a long while now. Hopefully some awareness kicks in, though.

I want to thank those of you who are being informative (treatments, gov't declarations, updates of new tests and vaccines, etc).

I want to curse those of you who are trying to turn this political, some more thinly veiled than others.

I am gathering info and knowledge that will help me make decisions on how best to ride this out and care for my family. Decisions like when and if to go to the store, what medications to take and avoid. I swear if you political jerkoffs ruin this conversation, it will be a permanent stain on this website. Any veiled attempt to take a political jab should be met with a swift ban.

So, story just relayed to me by a coworker that has me convinced that, as a nation, we are doomed.

Older gentleman, 50s, gets a call Saturday from a female friend that she and some of her friends are going to the movie and asks if we wants to come along. His area in Michigan hadn't been hit yet so he was willing and agreed to go. Poor decision but it is what it is. Anyways, movie  ends and as they are leaving the theater, girl A says "I am staying with girl B for awhile." Natural follow up is why? Her answer, "My husband just got back from Milan last week and he tested positive for Corona so he thought it would be better if I stayed with her." So, she was DIRECTLY exposed to the virus and not only didn't self-quarantine, but is out in the public like it is nothing.

I asked my coworker, what did the group say when she dropped this bombshell, did they freak out? His answer, "No, they were all fine with it. No one thought it was a big deal" and they all continued on their merry way. So yea, we're gonna lose this one. This country is chock full of idiots.

If the district does decide to extend this break, I will be posting daily assignments on google classroom with instructions.  I will also be available for questions and guidance as well.  Hopefully it does not come to that, but we are preparing for online learning should the need arise.  More information will be available to you as time goes on.

This was from my daughter's middle school teacher. 

My take away from this is - our school system is absolutely planning on extending our break (currently to April 6) - hence preparing teachers to move course work online.
My wife is in a meeting right now in Michigan.  They are discussing 8 weeks minimum.  In reality there is no minimum she just told me. 

Thing im most depressed about is likely cancellation on my son's entire little league and travel schedule. So much practice put in for nothing. Sucks
There will be more little league and travel games for you. Our son is a senior in high school and his team won and advanced last week in the D-I state basketball tournament. They had a legit chance to win the tournament. And then the world went crazy and his playing days basically ended with no notice. The tournament is officially suspended (not cancelled), teams are not allowed to practice, the state has closed schools for at least three weeks, they're not allowing any HS sporting events, and there is a limit on the size of gatherings. So I don't see any possible way they finish the tournament. All the seniors in high school and college sports got the short end on this one.

Joe Bryant said:
Do not do this.

One last warning - we are not going to turn on each other here. 

If we can't keep from doing that, people won't be allowed to post here. 

I hate that as I truly want us to all be together on this. But if a few people are ruining it for everyone else, we'll be forced to limit who can post. 
i'm a few pages behind.  it's becoming unbearable.  hopefully they stopped, or you dropped the hammer.  

I had an epic beard going, but with the weather turning and this virus I figured it was time to shave it off (I normally shave it off once or twice a year). Felt as I was always rubbing my fingers through it, so better to be safe.

Well #### - now I have a shaved face that I haven't seen or touched in 7 months. I'm fingering my face more than ever
I just started on my covid beard.  Week one. I hope to have a full beard by the time I return to the office.  I'm not a fast grower.  

So, story just relayed to me by a coworker that has me convinced that, as a nation, we are doomed.

Older gentleman, 50s, gets a call Saturday from a female friend that she and some of her friends are going to the movie and asks if we wants to come along. His area in Michigan hadn't been hit yet so he was willing and agreed to go. Poor decision but it is what it is. Anyways, movie  ends and as they are leaving the theater, girl A says "I am staying with girl B for awhile." Natural follow up is why? Her answer, "My husband just got back from Milan last week and he tested positive for Corona so he thought it would be better if I stayed with her." So, she was DIRECTLY exposed to the virus and not only didn't self-quarantine, but is out in the public like it is nothing.

I asked my coworker, what did the group say when she dropped this bombshell, did they freak out? His answer, "No, they were all fine with it. No one thought it was a big deal" and they all continued on their merry way. So yea, we're gonna lose this one. This country is chock full of idiots.
Wow

Also, 50s is not old 

:rant:

Ugh..this is a tough one. Its needed but so many will not go out out of fear/distancing
Agreed. I'm no saint. Can't say I didn't struggle with the idea of blowing it off, but it just feels like the right thing to do. Actually going to go play nine holes of golf with a friend first. Don't want to pass out walking down the first fairway.

Doug B said:
Ah. Well, the touching only matters if the handler coughed/sneezed/licked/nuzzled on their hands and did not 'wash up + don gloves' before handling your order. Straight-up coughing on your food shouldn't be happening, but ... that's a matter that speaks to each individual's risk tolerance.
This is enough to keep me dining in my home. I've seen enough irresponsible food handlers. 🤢

Woke up this morning with a dry cough that has progressively worsened. No fever at this time. As an asthmatic my concern level is pretty high but I’m doing my best to keep my anxiety in check. Hoping the worsening cough is from my anxiety triggering the asthma.

First sign of fever and I will be calling my PCP. 

Wow

Also, 50s is not old 

:rant:
I'm older than him if it makes you feel better. His Skype IMs slowed down after I told him his friends were idiots. I wanted to feel bad about hurting his feelings but I just really couldn't because, well, this is just high-level stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be more little league and travel games for you. Our son is a senior in high school and his team won and advanced last week in the D-I state basketball tournament. They had a legit chance to win the tournament. And then the world went crazy and his playing days basically ended with no notice. The tournament is officially suspended (not cancelled), teams are not allowed to practice, the state has closed schools for at least three weeks, they're not allowing any HS sporting events, and there is a limit on the size of gatherings. So I don't see any possible way they finish the tournament. All the seniors in high school and college sports got the short end on this one.
I understand but I think sports is the least of our worries right now.

Users who are viewing this thread