What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (21 Viewers)

Last night, OH Gov DeWine issued in-dining to be stopped immediately.  Only Carry-out/Delivery/Drive-thru.

Today, police raided a Cincinnati restaurant (Queen City Lounge) who had been serving Dine-in customers.  Police evacuated the restaurant and are boarding it up.  They also found firearms onsite.
Not surprising based on IRL comments and some opinions here that a few restaurants would do that.

It's kind of mandatory for success that national and state level emergency health proclamations are followed.

You guys keeping regular doctor appointments in the near future? I have a routine physical scheduled for 3/30 (blood work on 3/20) and my wife is freaking out that I should reschedule. My doctors office hasn't cancelled and at this point is recommending keeping appointments.
Still going on Thursday AM if they don't cancel on me.  Would like to get some blood work in before everything shuts down.

You guys keeping regular doctor appointments in the near future? I have a routine physical scheduled for 3/30 (blood work on 3/20) and my wife is freaking out that I should reschedule. My doctors office hasn't cancelled and at this point is recommending keeping appointments.
No way would I go unless I really needed to.

They will already be busier than usual and can reuse that time for someone that is potentially sick.

Also you'd be walking into a petri dish.

They just had Yang on CNN. Says his team has been offering advice on giving money to every adult. His opinion is to give 1k to each adult and 500 for each kid a month until things turn around for the better.
HA!!!!!  FINALLY, MY FECKLESS WAYS OF FERTILITY ARE STARTING TO PAY OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111
Future headline:

PHILIP RIVERS BUYS BOTH MICROSOFT AND AMAZON ON RECORD-BREAKING DAY

Pays cash for both megacorps. Hires Gates as chauffeur, Bezos as pool boy

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to chance it. I have a few docs. Since I have a port that must be flushed and I'm not feeling swell, I kept my labs/port flush appt at the infusion center and pcp for next week. I need her to take over writing rxs for my oncologist who quit. All else is canned. 

I live in Austin proper, but in a pretty secluded neighborhood with a lot of greenery. Went for a two mile walk with my son today ... Except for those 13 people, no one was out and about. Saw 3 cars the entire walk. Feels a tad bit zombie apocalypsy. On a normal day, I’d have expected to see 20x the cars and 10x the people.
Similar experience in the New Orleans CBD today, except my walk was only about 1/2 mile round trip. Way fewer walkers than usual, and people were actually going out of their way to avoid walking near others (including me).

First two masks worn in public I've seen in New Orleans, too, though one was worn by somebody on the job (building security at a nearby office building). Wearing masks out is a BIG social hurdle locally ... but I can see the switch being flipped once critical mass is achieved.

Similar experience in the New Orleans CBD today, except my walk was only about 1/2 mile round trip. Way fewer walkers than usual, and people were actually going out of their way to avoid walking near others (including me).

First two masks worn in public I've seen in New Orleans, too, though one was worn by somebody on the job (building security at a nearby office building). Wearing masks out is a BIG social hurdle locally ... but I can see the switch being flipped once critical mass is achieved.
Agreed on the social hurdle.

I also think most people that have them have probably have a small number of masks, so best to save them for when you may really need them.

What in our recent history makes you think this is a smart nation?  The wrestling Governor?  
Whoa.  Not to PSF this, but I voted for Jesse Ventura (I assume that is who you're talking about) and I'd do it again happily. He was an excellent governor,  IMO. Not beholden to the parties.

The overall point of your post is spot on, though. 

Any chance of setting up a video based business for the interim?

I know there won't be any exercise machines for the clients to use, but there's improvisation that can be done.

Either way, it's admirable you are working hard to keep paying your employees.
It’s a national franchise company with a 90 US locations and corporate is putting together some at home recommendations. We can’t just release body weight exercises and things because some of our clients have limited range of motion or other physical limitations where we don’t want to encourage them to do things that you could probably recommend to a younger more healthy person.

I live in Austin proper, but in a pretty secluded neighborhood with a lot of greenery. Went for a two mile walk with my son today, and passed 8 people at a distance (closest 10 feet), and saw 5 others in their garages or front yards. 3 of the 13 were wearing masks, including one older guy in his garage. A guy in his 60s or 70s that intersected a street we were on after we passed coughed a bunch of times, but it’s Spring and there is a lot of pollen. Except for those 13 people, no one was out and about. Saw 3 cars the entire walk. Feels a tad bit zombie apocalypsy. On a normal day, I’d have expected to see 20x the cars and 10x the people.
My walk today wasn't quite that different than normal but definitely less cars. A few people doing what I did though and getting outside. 

https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/1239972373647872005?s=20

Also, not that I ever had any doubt my people are old dorks, the fact I had as much laughing at the had confirmed it. All good. Crocs and Cargo shorts next time I guess. ;)  

Belgian Doctor says lung scans for young patients were terrifying

A Belgian doctor working to battle the coronavirus says he’s treated several seriously ill young patients — and their lung scans were “nothing short of terrifying,” according to reports.

Dr. Ignace Demeyer, who works at a hospital in Aalst, said an increasing number of people between the ages of 30 and 50 have presented with severe symptoms, despite having “blank medical records” which show no underlying conditions that would make them high risk, the Brussels Times reported.

“The images we took yesterday are nothing short of terrifying,” the doctor told the station.

“They are people who do not smoke, who have no other conditions such as diabetes or heart failure,” Demeyer added.

Last night, OH Gov DeWine issued in-dining to be stopped immediately.  Only Carry-out/Delivery/Drive-thru.

Today, police raided a Cincinnati restaurant (Queen City Lounge) who had been serving Dine-in customers.  Police evacuated the restaurant and are boarding it up.  They also found firearms onsite.
Did they grab some take away while they were there?

But dang I did not see the Toilet Paper thing coming.  My wife keeps us overstocked in paper products even in the best of times, so she's feeling proud.
Please interview her and report back as to why. What is this phenomenon and why. Please, someone. :crazy:

They just had Yang on CNN. Says his team has been offering advice on giving money to every adult. His opinion is to give 1k to each adult and 500 for each kid a month until things turn around for the better.
Are the talks on all of this involve income limits?  Meaning if you make over a certain amount, nothing for you?

I know you don't mean ill will and I know you're a good poster. Please help the board. Thank you. 
The #1 thing we all need to do to beat this is give up our freedom until we beat it. The percentage of people not willing to do that will determine our degree of failure. There is zero chance that percentage will get anywhere near China, as people in China didn't have to give up any freedom at all to fight it. 

I'm not sure why you find my post offensive at all. It's simply numerical fact. 

For older people it's a mixture of ignorance, a tinge of fatalism due to their age, and a healthy skepticism based on what they've seen happen throughout their lives - i.e. serious warnings at times throughout the years, but rarely a resulting serious event.
In my time in Louisiana (pre-Katrina), this was the mindset of the "ride-out the Hurricane" crowd

What is your business?  Do you have a website?  Can I buy a gift card?
Thanks for thinking about us. We offer personal training but don’t really have any online sales.

Honestly the response we’ve had from our clients is that they are willing to keep their monthly memberships running for the most part to allow us to continue to pay the trainers.  Not sure how long that will last and honestly we might be better off cutting them so that they can get ahead of the line for unemployment if this thing goes months and months these are difficult decisions to me

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
The #1 thing we all need to do to beat this is give up our freedom until we beat it. The percentage of people not willing to do that will determine our degree of failure. There is zero chance that percentage will get anywhere near China, as people in China didn't have to give up any freedom at all to fight it. 

I'm not sure why you find my post offensive at all. It's simply numerical fact. 
Not offensive at all. I'm saying I think you're smart and you can tons more to help the board than we can't do what China did and beat this with the sarcastic 'murica.

Thank you. 

Something getting kicked around on another board is the idea of putting multiple patients on one ventilator in dire circumstances (someone heard from "a friend in the medical field" that this was on the table for COVID patients). I was curious and did a quick bit of Googling to see what was written about this. Reminder: what follows is just what I found in two minutes, not an exhaustive search.

Splitting ventilators to provide titrated support to a large group of patients (PulmCrit blog, 3/15/2020. Link to blogger's credentials and caveats regarding content.)

The blog is dense -- I haven't read through it thoroughly and don't know all the terminology. The author presents many caveats and does not sell it as a cakewalk or something without significant risk. However, he does attempt a way to "map out" balanced use of five ventilators to treat 20 patients (scroll down about halfway down page to the sections titled "Bigger picture:  Five ventilators to provide personalized settings to 20 patients" and "Evidence?")

One of the commenters to that blog posted an account of the immediate intake of the mass casualties of the 2017 Las Vegas shooting (Emergency Physicians Monthly, 11/3/2017). An excerpt:

Around that time the respiratory therapist, said, “Menes, we don’t have any more ventilators.” I said, “It’s fine,” and requested some Y tubing. Dr. Greg Neyman, a resident a year ahead of me in residency, had done a study on the use of ventilators in a mass casualty situation. What he came up with was that if you have two people who are roughly the same size and tidal volume, you can just double the tidal volume and stick them on Y tubing on one ventilator.

Gosh, I am so conflicted.  Like one minute I feel like going full prepper and hunkering down and buying a gun, and the next I feel super hopeful about this passing quickly and want to get back to my regular life.

Is there an in-between?

So I have been seeing articles from "experts" warning people not to make their own hand sanitizer. When I read them they say how common it is to mess up and end up with a product with a % below 60% alcohol. I kind of laughed at the thought because it seemed almost impossible to mess up.

Well there we go. A video that if followed will probably be wrong just as often as it is right. If you start with 91% isopropyl(common % sold) and you first put in essential oils, then eyeball the container to 2/3 full and top with aloe you have to basically eyeball exactly at 2/3 to get 60% alcohol. 

5 drops is a bit ambiguous, but depending on drop size you could actually eyeball exactly 2/3 and you would still be below. 

Not offensive at all. I'm saying I think you're smart and you can tons more to help the board than we can't do what China did and beat this with the sarcastic 'murica.

Thank you. 
I know these are stressful times but Spock’s point seemed legit and not offensive.   It is America that expects total freedom and we will not have the compliance to the new rules or guidelines that a suppressed nation will.  

The French Minister of Health suggested anti-inflammatories like Advil might be doing harm.  But I haven't seen that validated yet.

The country’s health minister, Olivier Véran, who is a qualified doctor and neurologist, tweeted on Saturday: “The taking of anti-inflammatories [ibuprofen, cortisone … ] could be a factor in aggravating the infection. In case of fever, take paracetamol. If you are already taking anti-inflammatory drugs, ask your doctor’s advice.”

Health officials point out that anti-inflammatory drugs are known to be a risk for those with infectious illnesses because they tend to diminish the response of the body’s immune system.

The health ministry added that patients should choose paracetamol – which is known in the US by the generic name acetaminophen and commonly by the brand name Tylenol – because “it will reduce the fever without counterattacking the inflammation”.

found this , thanks @zoonation
I think that's the norm due to being able to take them every 4 hours and can alternate (so every 2) - don't quote me on that or the other but that's what I'm also hearing - take acetaminophen only I think is the suggestion.  Need one of the medical folks in here to confirm.
I usually favor Tylenol over NSAIDS like ibuprofen because there are more potential side effects/harm from the latter - chiefly gastrointestinal bleeding and kidney damage. That being said, I don't think the Health Minister's statement has been validated, and is at best a theoretical concern.

So I have been seeing articles from "experts" warning people not to make their own hand sanitizer. When I read them they say how common it is to mess up and end up with a product with a % below 60% alcohol. I kind of laughed at the thought because it seemed almost impossible to mess up.

Well there we go. A video that if followed will probably be wrong just as often as it is right. If you start with 91% isopropyl(common % sold) and you first put in essential oils, then eyeball the container to 2/3 full and top with aloe you have to basically eyeball exactly at 2/3 to get 60% alcohol. 

5 drops is a bit ambiguous, but depending on drop size you could actually eyeball exactly 2/3 and you would still be below. 
Feel free to ignore.

With the shortage in the store, I offered a solution that can work for people.  Err on the side of more alcohol :shrug:

Gosh, I am so conflicted.  Like one minute I feel like going full prepper and hunkering down and buying a gun, and the next I feel super hopeful about this passing quickly and want to get back to my regular life.

Is there an in-between?
Staying calm?

Thank you. 
My intent in using "'Murica" was referencing those who will never give up any American freedom for any reason. And the percentage of those we have in this country will determine how far less effective we are at fighting this than China. 

Given they will be, or even are, the source of what degree our failure will be, they need to hear more than just sarcasm. They will be directly responsible for more deaths than needed to happen. They need to be slapped upside the face and told to snap out of it. This is not the time for tolerance towards those who are causing greater degree of deaths. With all due respect to you, and Koya, your "we understand" approach to these people enable them cause more deaths in this country than needs to happen. Again, with all due respect to you, please stop  protecting them. 

Had to run out to my work to grab some stuff to WFH for as much as possible over the next few weeks. Also needed to go to my kids school to get his ipad and packets of homework.  While I was out, thought I would stop by Home Depot and Costco Business Center.

Hone Depot was a litte slower than usual, but still a bunch of people. Saw some workers hamming it up and pushing and touching each other. Made me want to get out of there ASAP. But, picked up some lumber and drywall for a basement project. Used self checkout line.

If anyone has a Business Center Costco, it is likely a better bet than the big one. Plenty of foods and cleaning supplies. Were limiting wipes to one giant box. Didn't check on TP. Bought some fish and veggies and snacks.

Felt weird to be out and about. Could kind of sense similar feelings in others. In some, got the sense that they didn't think much of this and were just kinda wondering why it seemed more crowded than usual

Feel free to ignore.

With the shortage in the store, I offered a solution that can work for people.  Err on the side of more alcohol :shrug:
I am not saying to ignore, at least not completely and I am definitely not saying for people not to make their own. I posted already in here about my search for hand sanitizer and then for rubbing alcohol to make my own, and then ultimately how I made my own. The criticism isn't of you, but it doesn't hurt to point out that is a bad recipe and shouldn't just be followed as is. 

Staying calm?
I'm certainly staying calm, despite being diagnosed with fairly high anxiety (or the potential for it).  

I'm just worried about 2-3 weeks from now when things are potentially worse and I haven't had any outlets to alleviate the pressure, so to speak.

No sports sucks. Lockdown sucks.  Impending doom sucks more.  Just need to find a middle ground.

Sorry for rambling, just need to type stuff out sometimes.

About a half hour ago, I did a bunch of pushups, jumping jacks, punches with the light dumbbells, etc.  I feel much better now.

Even if you can't get outside, move around.  You'll feel better.
i've used my rower two days in a row!  inconceivable!

When I made my own, I used an empty 12-oz witch hazel bottle to mix the "mother" batch. The bottle has marks on the side for every three ounces. While I have posted using 7 parts 91% isopropyl to 3 parts gel to yield a ~63% alcohol sanitizer ... that's a slight oversimplification. What I actually did was mix ~9 oz of the 91% with ~3 oz of gel to yield a ~68% alcohol sanitizer.

But I were making a larger batch, like in a gallon jug or something, I would go with the 7 parts / 3 parts measurements.

I'm certainly staying calm, despite being diagnosed with fairly high anxiety (or the potential for it).  

I'm just worried about 2-3 weeks from now when things are potentially worse and I haven't had any outlets to alleviate the pressure, so to speak.

No sports sucks. Lockdown sucks.  Impending doom sucks more.  Just need to find a middle ground.

Sorry for rambling, just need to type stuff out sometimes.
It’s all good. Fresh air can help. I find walking my dog to be therapeutic after being inside all day. 

ETA: keeping your distance from others obviously 

Kudos to the guys who a week or two ago seemed like they were overreacting to this whole thing. You guys were right on the money—sorry to have ribbed a couple of you so hard for it.  Dr. Fauci explained this concept pretty well yesterday I thought — basically in a situation like this, it’s always a bunch worse than the numbers show, and so in order to address it, you need to take measures that seem way overblown at the moment (but which make perfect sense a week later, when the numbers catch up to reality).

Over the last week, the magnitude of this thing has blown wide open. I can’t turn away from the news. Mrs O., who is irreverent and can get church giggles at a funeral with the best of em and never gets rattled, is downright anxious and depressed. My almost 9 year old daughter has such anxiety. She’s old enough to understand or at least sense the gravity of it, and to be upset by the fact that we don’t have all the answers. She keeps getting upset and demanding some kind of normal schedule or routine; her school has been woefully slow in getting the distance learning up and running. 

My BILs have been out trying to buy shotguns for home defense, and there has been a complete run on those. It’s impossible to get one. I’m glad I bought one a couple years back. I doubt I’ll need it ever but also I’m not sad about having it, just in case. And I find pretty unnerving the fact that there is a run on guns here in this N.Y. suburb.

The president is now taking it seriously. Yesterday when he conceded it was very very bad, and the stock market had, what, the largest percentage drop in history?, right as San Francisco went on lockdown, all as I was in the middle of my first ever forced work from home day?  That was unnerving.  

My family is rattled, and it’s palpable in my house each day now.  Am I right that others are feeling the same way?  Such a deep sense of anxiety, bordering on depression?

I can tell you after just one day that being at home and trying to do all the work and conference calls from home with a relatively young family and small kids is not easy. And having no routine, or having to develop a brand new one, is also not easy.  But I also know other folks have it plenty tougher. 

Be well all. 

Oats
That chest freezer I order a couple of weeks ago is full of meat and ice cream.  I got 20lbs of Coffee, propane, and all kinds of supplies and entertainment. I buttoned up all my work and responsibilities until fall.  I won't leave my house for weeks probably.

I usually favor Tylenol over NSAIDS like ibuprofen because there are more potential side effects/harm from the latter - chiefly gastrointestinal bleeding and kidney damage.
Oof to me. I had thought that acetaminophen was by far the more physiologically-risky drug of the two. I have taken ibuprofen for many years (and my therapeutic dose is 600-800 mg) for normal headaches, body aches, etc. Not every day, maybe an average of twice a week over time.

This seems extremely unlikely to be proven.  When in pain or feverish who honestly doesn't go for that stuff unless maybe you have a liver issue.   
NSAIDS usually aren't a problem for the liver...they can rarely cause damage, but only if you take a lot, typically in combination with other hepatotoxins (alcohol). They're much more likely to ding your kidneys and gastrointestinal tract.

Tylenol can cause liver failure, but requires huge doses, usually > 6g/day.

If you are young and otherwise healthy, both are fine if taken at the recommended dosage. If you are elderly with common medical problems (like high BP or diabetes), I'd pick Tylenol 9 times out of 10. Avoid both if you have liver disease or drink excessively.

As far as harming the immune response to COVID, I think that is purely theoretical.

It’s all good. Fresh air can help. I find walking my dog to be therapeutic after being inside all day. 

ETA: keeping your distance from others obviously 
I am in a private office at my work, a good 15-20 feet from anyone.  Only interaction I really have is with my assistant who comes to the doorway of my office maybe 2-3 times a day.  

I'm still going out to eat (probably not smart).  Hoping that my favorite local BBQ joint is open for more than just take-out.  I'd love to sit at their bar (only like 6 seats) for a couple of beers this or next weekend.  Not sure that's gonna fly.  

I do need to get outside more.  Will likely take the kids for a walk this weekend.  The wife is getting them outside a couple times a day.

Users who are viewing this thread