What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

Why is everything going to Memphis?
Memphis used to be one of the, if not the largest (?)  distribution hubs in the world. 

- FedEx Hub / Global World Headquarters. 

= Home of the 155th Airlift Squadron (one of the core arms of US Military Air Cargo )

For starters. :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found out from an acquaintance that one of my high school classmates just died of COVID-19. I didn't know her well, but she was my age (49) with kids. WA State. This is getting too close to home.

UPDATE: She had no underlying health conditions. According to her mother-in-law, she thought she had a cold a few weeks ago, but continued to go to work (dentist, Tacoma, WA). Was admitted 11 days ago to the hospital (via ambulance) with a fever, was put into a medically-induced coma, given some experimental drugs which seemed to help, then her fever went up, her oxygen went down and she died of cardiac arrest. She was the primary source of income for both her mother and 11-year-old daughter. I am not sure which hospital she was at, but it was likely one of the two Tacoma hospitals (my husband works at one).
I know this was just a story you relayed from a facebook group and not your actual quote, but this story appears to be made up or at least perhaps greatly modified. Two things immediately stood out. "experimental drugs" and the fact that she was a dentist that was going to work for a while. That would have been a pretty big story and a lot of people affected. I guess technically three things since it was a two degrees of kevin bacon facebook story.

The individual counties in washington have been very good at updating deaths and cases. Pierce county(where tacoma is) has only one case of a woman in her 40's and she isn' t dead and was just tested march 14th. In the neighboring two counties there is one woman in her 40's that died but she wasnt a dentist(or even hygienist) and had underlying conditions. I cant find any other cases, let alone deaths, of women in their 40's near tacoma. Like even a two hour commute.  

I actually think the US only has two deaths under 50 one was a male(with health problems) and one was the above mentioned. CNN is actually reporting no deaths under 50 in their article today, but if you read it you will see they name the deaths I am referring to, they just only have the county and sex listed not the age(which is odd).

So perhaps the county sites just haven't been updated yet and they didn't find out she had coronavirus until today, but that seems unlikely. Pierce county still has zero deaths so I think a death of somebody that was a dentist there would be reported on almost instantly, even if they happened to reside in another county so I don't think this will be a lag issue, but possible. Also possible she died of something else and somebody took the liberty of assigning it as coronavirus to post on facebook. These kinds of stories are often at least based in truth and are just relayed several times and become a telephone game. 

I guess there is also the possibility that somehow this case just hasn't been considered very newsworthy at all yet but that also seems very unlikely. 

The weather being nice isn’t helping matters.  Just went to a trail to go for a run and there are a million people out.   Definitely no social distancing going on.  I quickly left but not a good sign that everyone wants to be out in the nice weather

Here's some more of that "coy" info I'm sharing that's purely fear mongering... 

Monday I posted pics of a unpublished Chinese Cargo plane at FedEx Hub in Memphis and said it was loaded with half a million tests. Turns out that news hit hours later. 

I then "played coy" saying there was another source I can't address specifically yet that had another half million coming in later.... that wasn't public yet. 

today's news

US AIR FORCE FLEW HALF A MILLION CORONAVIRUS TEST KITS FROM ITALY TO TENNESSEE

BY DEFENSE ONE  
   MARCH 18, 2020

The U.S. Air Force quietly flew 500,000 COVID-19 testing kits from Italy to Memphis, Tennessee, on Monday, Defense One has learned. Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman confirmed the shipment on board an Air National Guard aircraft. The plane carried “swabs” that are used in the COVID-19 testing process, he said during a Wednesday afternoon briefing at the Pentagon.

:coffee:  
Why isn’t the US producing tests?  Why are we outsourcing this?  It boggles my mind. We can’t reverse engineer one of these?  Are we so bogged down in red tape, patents, who gets the contract, money money money, that we can’t/won’t produce tests.  Ridiculous. 

The weather being nice isn’t helping matters.  Just went to a trail to go for a run and there are a million people out.   Definitely no social distancing going on.  I quickly left but not a good sign that everyone wants to be out in the nice weather
4th of July is gonna be awesome ...when half the people are blowing fireworks at each other from their yards

Median number for symptoms after exposure is five days. How are you feeling?
Context:

- Every spring I get a mild-to-moderate chest cold.....with nasal drip and a cough.  (too much info)   

- My son had strep two weeks ago; he was home with strep + an unexplained fever for 8 days pre-quarantine; my wife and I both had mild fevers + fatigue a week before our son got sick (so basically 3-4 weeks ago now)

Current situation:

- For about 4-5 days, I've been starting to my usual "spring symptoms"; didn't know if it was CV or something more major, so when those symptoms popped up late Saturday, my quarantine went into full effect

- Cough is still very mild; other symptoms are manageable with OTC medication

- BFF and fiancee both have meaningful fatigue; he hasn't told me what temperature his fiancee has been measured at yet

- Trying to find humor in the whole thing, everyone jokes that she looks part Asian (even though she isn't) and it really pisses her off.  So he and I make a lot of jokes about how he's going to marry an Asian woman.   When he called a little while ago to tell me they were getting tested for CV, my first response was "holy ****, hope you are both ok!"   My second response was "tell her that I knew I was going to get CV from an Asian woman."   Thankfully he laughed.

So has anyone really been confirmed to have this and be walking around with little to no symptoms? Like being monitored to see if it just goes away?
I am not sure about this for China and South Korea. I assume China found some number of asymptomatic carriers by testing apparently healthy people who shared households with sick COVID patients.

Still, in the West we have some high-profile asymptomatic (?) COVID carriers that are being monitored: Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson, several NBA players, Idris Elba, some European soccer players, etc. The athletes have generally said they are asymptomatic. Idris Elba said the same a few days ago. Not sure about Hanks & Wilson, but I would think if they were in bad shape it would make news.

Wife and I are driving back to the Bay Area from Palm Springs tomorrow and want to take advantage of possible spots on the way home to stock up on groceries/supplies? Anyone familiar with areas on this route that may be best to try? I think we’re going to maybe try stores in Fresno and Bakersfield. 

Why isn’t the US producing tests?  Why are we outsourcing this?  It boggles my mind. We can’t reverse engineer one of these?  Are we so bogged down in red tape, patents, who gets the contract, money money money, that we can’t/won’t produce tests.  Ridiculous. 
There may be no manufacturing facilities geared up to do it.

Wife and I are driving back to the Bay Area from Palm Springs tomorrow and want to take advantage of possible spots on the way home to stock up on groceries/supplies? Anyone familiar with areas on this route that may be best to try? I think we’re going to maybe try stores in Fresno and Bakersfield. 
I’d try some of the smaller towns surrounding Bakersfield: Wasco, Delano. 

My BFF here in IL just got tested for CV today.  He and his fiancée both might have been exposed.   Will know in 24 hours - if they have it, solid chance I’m exposed......since we all had a meal together on Sat afternoon....
I hope the testing is negative and you're in the clear.

At the same time, and again not to pile on you, but for others here to realize, this is exactly why even these small get togethers, dinners, getting drinks with a couple people, etc. needs to just stop.  Is that one get-together worth the exposure?  Even the worry of the exposure now?  These numbers and stories are going to keep increasing.  You have no idea what others are doing and how they might be getting exposed. 

Just. Stop. Hanging. Out. With. People.       Please.

Cool, feel free to block me as well :thumbup:
Dude. Was just going with this comment, and especially the bolded, with a bit of the italicized

I never said you haven’t provided good info. You’ve done that tons of times in here and I’ve thanked you for it. But your post to fill your tank up with the bvfwih shtick was ridiculous. Both things can be true. 

This reminds me to bump some of your #justaflubro posts from late January / early february.

Added to my #todo list if things get slow later this week :lol:  
I don't blame anyone that started out that way...

A significant number of people first came into this thread with flu comparisons, because that's what a lot of the media and some especially noteworthy politicians were telling them.

The ones to be cognizant of here now are the ones that haven't changed their mind after having the education links and discussion available to them.

Just anecdotal but yesterday was like the omega man during the day , today everyone was out and about. The charles river by where I work was crowded 

BIG test for NYC coming on Friday ... we're supposed to hit the mid 70s

:unsure:

At the same time, and again not to pile on you, but for others here to realize, this is exactly why even these small get togethers, dinners, getting drinks with a couple people, etc. needs to just stop.  Is that one get-together worth the exposure?  Even the worry of the exposure now?  These numbers and stories are going to keep increasing.  You have no idea what others are doing and how they might be getting exposed. 

From your lips to the millenial and older generation's ears.

this a million times
With what's going on and everything at stake and the constant pleas all around to stay away from others, I simply can't wrap my head around the persistent need to socially interact with anyone that isn't absolutely necessary.

It sucks.  I get it.  We all have friends and it's fun to hang out.  There's nothing fun about any of this.  But this thinking of "well, it's just a couple hours for dinner and we'll stay 6 ft away" is so pervasive that it just boggles my mind. 

I wish there was a way to tie up these government checks that might be coming out with a GPS locator showing you staying in your house for all but essential travel outside.  Maybe then people will listen. 

We have have ubiquitous high speed internet with Netflix and Amazon and streaming services and gaming and Amazon to deliver stuff and people STILL can't just stay home.  It's so frustrating. 

/rant over.

Agreed.  100%.   We thought our actions were very safe - 6+ foot distance, everyone using hand sanitizer non stop, eating individual food dishes and not sharing food, etc.   Odds are that it was "somewhat safe" - but the end of the day, we literally shut things down on Saturday night and haven't left the house since.   I wish we had made that decision a week earlier.  Or 3 days earlier.  

My reason for posting all this was a combo of a) my own therapy, b) as a warning to others.  This is real.  It is possible to get exposed anywhere.

My BFF here in IL just got tested for CV today.  He and his fiancée both might have been exposed.   Will know in 24 hours - if they have it, solid chance I’m exposed......since we all had a meal together on Sat afternoon....
24 hours?!?! Damn my test won’t be done for 3-4 days.

:goodposting:

And all you guys running out to get haircuts, you’re not only exposing yourself to your barber, you’re exposing yourself to every client he’s had for the past few days. 

P.S. Stop exposing yourself to your barber, pervs.

Does anyone know how long after infection it takes the virus to become systemic? I mean, if I were to, say, be exposed through my eye, how long would it be before a throat swab could detect it?

:goodposting:

And all you guys running out to get haircuts, you’re not only exposing yourself to your barber, you’re exposing yourself to every client he’s had for the past few days. 

P.S. Stop exposing yourself to your barber, pervs.
the over riding need to get a haircut is dumb founding.  to be fair, i've cut my own hair, #1 guard all the way around, for 20 years.  

A coworker late last week literally spouted "It's no worse than the flu" followed by "you're more likely to die walking around in Chicago". He said this on a conference call with about 12 of us on it. He lives in Tampa. 
That is the issue with this virus and it's just adding to the uncertainty and splitting the nation even more.

Most of the people in this thread I feel are rationale.  And the one's the contribute most I believe are much much more concerned about the virus than the US populace as a whole.  I'd venture to say that everyone that follows this thread is more concerned than the average US citizen.  However, a large majority of this country still feels it's way overblown.  

At this point I'm not sure what to do.  Am I concerned about the virus?  I'm extremely concerned of the economic impact it is going to have on our country.  75-80% of this country cannot miss 1-2 paychecks without feeling a strain.  And most of this group will be the first effected.  A nationwide shut down will just exasperate this issue, imho.  

I definitely feel that social distancing and flattening the curve are things we can do that should work and keep the virus under control.  Still hopeful.  But you're not going convince everyone at all.  

Memphis used to be one of the, if not the largest (?)  distribution hubs in the world. 

- FedEx Hub / Global World Headquarters. 

= Home of the 155th Airlift Squadron (one of the core arms of US Military Air Cargo )

For starters. :)  
reminds me of when i was dating a girl from memphis in college.  we were watching jeopardy and final jeopardy was something like "this city's airport is the largest volume cargo airport in the world, handling X million lbs (or parcels) per day"

gf: "memphis!"

ignorant 19 yo me: "ooh...i'm from memphis, so i'll guess my hometown"

alex: "memphis, tennessee"

I wish I could get Word-of-God for-sure advice on this. Most online sources (to include traditional news sites, not Twitter, Reddit, etc.) have reported to avoid ibuprofen (Advil, etc.). Many accounts of the French health minister saying this to the French masses.

Yet elsewhere, including in this thread, folks in the medical field said that the ibuprofen thing is probably untrue, and that taking ibuprofen is OK and does not increase one's risk of contracting COVID. Not sure what to believe :(  

And I know many scoff at this kind of stuff ... but there's similar confusion out there about elderberries and zinc. I know neither have rock-hard science behind them (cf. Vitamin C), but anecdotal evidence of their positive effects seem to be legion. At worst, a good placebo effect is worth something.
The World Health Organization recommended Tuesday that people suffering COVID-19 symptoms avoid taking ibuprofen, after French officials warned that anti-inflammatory drugs could worsen effects of the virus. https://www.yahoo.com/news/avoid-taking-ibuprofen-covid-19-symptoms-202007508.html

24 hours?!?! Damn my test won’t be done for 3-4 days.
Yeah.  My friend has asthma, so I think they've fast tracked the test.  We also have a hospital nearby (Evanston/North Shore Hospital) that claims to have a test they can do relatively quickly......I'm not an expert so no idea if this is 100% true.

There may be no manufacturing facilities geared up to do it.
Which makes the decision to turn down test kits from WHO even more asinine

not buying that argument.  there are countries around the world that are testing at a much higher rate than we are, they had facilities ready to go?  
It's an interesting question... I suspect they may have actually had a national plan in place for the possibility of a pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread