What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (20 Viewers)

Mr Anonymous said:
Yeah, I remember seeing a map showing the correlation between parts of the world with high rates of Malaria which meant high rates of chloroquine usage. And those parts of the world are seeing a virtual absence of CV19.

Found it...

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/17/an-effective-treatment-for-coronavirus-covid-19-has-been-found-in-a-common-anti-malarial-drug/
In addition to the widespread resistance limiting chloroquine use for malaria, another issue with that correlation is the bulk of malarious regions are in subsaharan Africa and other indigent nations, likely with poor access to COVID testing. Also those areas tend to be hot and humid, which has been stipulated to reduce SARS-CoV-2 Ro.

My in-laws are the same. Literally going to the store every day to buy what they need just for that day. Same with my wife's grandparents. She's offered multiple times to go for them but they refuse. Obviously all super high risk. WTF. 
My pops lives in finished basement of our house.   High risk group - older, emphysema, etc..    I think he was taking it seriously at first, but I can tell that he is getting antsy, going out to neighbors, getting stuff at the store, etc..   He tries to do stuff early in the morning when not many are out, but still going out too much.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_age_structure

India only has 6% of population over 65.  Italy has 23% (2nd most behind Japan)

Less elderly people -> less fatalities and cases with apparent symptoms.

Can’t think of many countries with malaria problems have a large population of elderly.
Another good point. Probably not a lot of diabetes, hypertension and obesity either. 

Hard to develop those diseases when you're dealing with malaria, TB and HIV. And starving.

One of the cool things I've noticed is the amount of people out running/walking now. I used to run a lot so I notice the regulars you see out. This is a whole new crop of people. Glad to see it, hope it keeps up after this blows over  :thumbup:
Same.  I imagine it's all the treadmill warriors who are forced to get off the hamster wheel and run outside now.

Courtjester said:
I used Instacart for the first time today after finding out Walmart was unable to handle pickup. Walmart and local stores look like a bomb went off in them--it is sad.

Wow, what a great experience!! I set up my account and the delivery was out one-two days, but then magically the clouds parted and a five hour window slot came up when I put my info in--which I jumped on. I shopped with the girl at Sam's and approved the substitutions as she went. She had great taste! Three items were out--canned chicken, face tissue and something else I can't remember. She got it to our house in under two hours. We told her to put it in the garage so we could wipe all the items off. So easy!! I really wish I would have tipped her more. The only problem we ran into was our other food delivery arrived at the same time, so our garage was a beehive of activity. We were getting really nervous because some cars were driving by really slowly and looking sketchy before we could shut the door--probably just being paranoid I am sure, but needless to say the front of our house is lit up like Christmas right now. 

Just a side note, my daughter works at Sam's and I really wish she didn't They wouldn't let staff wear gloves tonight, but the CEO sent them a message saying they all get $150 bonuses for all their dedication. Not a fair trade-off IMO.
Why?

Thanks! :thumbup:  

So it looks like a cough is always accompanied by a fever? 

I was getting a little concerned last night because we were both coughing. Mine was allergy related, went away with a Claritin. My wife seems to have a bit of a cold but is a little better today. She also has been developing allergies the last few years but is in denial...lol :justacold: 
Not always, but nonproductive cough and fever are the most common symptoms. Allergies shouldn't ever have fever.

This is driving me insane. I ask every one of the friends I talk to. Not once has somebody told me their parents have gone on lockdown. All in same boat, upset with them. 

My wife was in tears yesterday. Both her parents are very high risk. My wife and sister in law have both said anything they need they will get for them. They still ran out to store yesterday. Excuse was we only needed a couple things so we didnt think it was a big deal and we didnt want to bother you. 

Dude. So dumb. 
I am hoping that my brother and I finally got through to my parents. They live in a retirement community in Fort Myers. Gated community with its own restaurants, golf course, tennis, etc. You know the places.

My mom was out on Wednesday shopping at Target for easter #### for my kids and my brothers kids. Neither my brother or I give a #### about Easter. We both talked to her yesterday and were like WTF! mom. Only go out for needed groceries. Stay in your condo and drink your wine and watch Netflix. For the first time in forever, they sent a picture of just the two of them walking by an empty pool. They went for a walk - all their friends were down at the restaurant acting like nothing is going on. They chose not to go.

Hope this lasts, but I am skeptical

This is driving me insane. I ask every one of the friends I talk to. Not once has somebody told me their parents have gone on lockdown. All in same boat, upset with them. 

My wife was in tears yesterday. Both her parents are very high risk. My wife and sister in law have both said anything they need they will get for them. They still ran out to store yesterday. Excuse was we only needed a couple things so we didnt think it was a big deal and we didnt want to bother you. 

Dude. So dumb. 
Old people are stubborn, and have a different perspective on life and death. Plus they tend to watch news sources which have been downplaying the pandemic.

A silver lining to social distancing...

I started re-playing The Legend if Zelda BOTW on the the switch back in January. I never beat the game when it first came out. Being cooped up in the house recently has allowed me a lot of free time playing the game. And I finally beat Calamity Ganon this time around. It was glorious. 

Re-downloaded Grand Theft Auto V on the ps4 the other day. Looking forward to visiting this game again. 
Just bought a Switch for kids and everyone got to pick one game. I picked Zelda so looking forward to it. 

zoonation said:
If you had to bet your mortgage on whether the actual number of covid19 cases in the US was over or under 250k, what are you taking?
Way over. 
I'd go so far to say the number of infected in the U.S. at the end of February had already nudged over that 250,000 number. That's total speculation with no evidence. But I do think that after a few years ... a lot of the things we "know for sure" about COVID right now will be proven false, especially regarding the mathematical modeling.

I'd go so far to say the number of infected in the U.S. at the end of February had already nudged over that 250,000 number. That's total speculation with no evidence. But I do think that after a few years ... a lot of the things we "know for sure" about COVID right now will be proven false, especially regarding the mathematical modeling.
My mother in Florida - I dont know the exact time but it was in february.... had every symptom....  went to doctor got tested for flu. negative

Doctors had no idea - said her allergies were bad.  She had trouble breathing the whole thing for about 2 weeks,  they found out recently she actually had a mild heart attack in that time...

My parents are convinced she had this  :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's low.  I think we could be at 250k reported cases in the US by the end of the month.

Both IMO... low risk... but also good practice.

I also set aside mail or boxes I receive for a few days unless they need to be opened sooner - that gives any virus present more time to die.

And also wash hands right away after handling such items.
I think the handwashing-after-handling is sufficient for items I intend to discard.

The way things are going, my hands are never more than maybe 15 minutes away from a 20-second handwashing or a sanitizing. So ... I go get mail barehanded, handle it, do I what I need to do (a few minutes tops) and then immediately wash up after discarding and/or putting it away.

My understanding had been that infection via mail (of any virus, really) essentially does not happen. Yes, I've seen the "lives on cardboard 24 hours!" study and all that. Even so, handwashing after handling takes care of whatever virus you might happen to pick up.

That said, I don't judge anyone who handles all this stuff entirely differently. There's a lot to be said for peace of mind in times like this. People will just naturally differ in how they achieve it.

Damn.  I mean, I wish my hands and all, but this all feels extreme to me.  But what do I know.
I bought a pack of Lysol spray before this started so any mail or packages get sprayed down with Lysol. When I come home from work (“essential” government... have to go), I pause in the garage and spray myself with it. I may die from mass inhaling of Lysol but I’ll smell like “mountain breeze” and it won’t be from Corona. EAD stupid bat virus!!

Just bought a Switch for kids and everyone got to pick one game. I picked Zelda so looking forward to it. 
I order one as well with Zelda and Mario Kart.  Supposed to arrive today from Amazon.  Kids do not know yet. 

My son started playing A link to the Past on my SNES mini.  Having fun with that.  Also fired up Ocarina of Time on the Wii.

The virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stable for several hours to days in aerosols and on surfaces, according to a new study from National Institutes of Health, CDC, UCLA and Princeton University scientists in The New England Journal of Medicine. The scientists found that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel. The results provide key information about the stability of SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19 disease, and suggests that people may acquire the virus through the air and after touching contaminated objects. The study information was widely shared during the past two weeks after the researchers placed the contents on a preprint server to quickly share their data with colleagues.

Link
Saw all this before ... but I don't see how this establishes that handwashing after handling, alone, is insufficient. IOW, it doesn't make me want to add the wipe-it-down/isolate-in-the-garage step.

So how protective of your community are people getting? I generally stay out of other people’s affairs and mind my own business. 

Our state has mandated all public and private schools closed for a minimum of several weeks (except daycare). And no gatherings over 10 people. 

Last night I drove by a driving school that had 30 kids sitting elbow to elbow and some other adults with them. (All clearly visible through the window.) Would you report it or let it slide?

that's what i was wondering. they must have recently traveled to qualify for a test ? or the area theyre in is actually giving out tests? no clue
Privately-procured tests are available. In the U.S., I had thought that such availability was directly afoul of current CDC regulations ... but I guess enforcement is lax.

I order one as well with Zelda and Mario Kart.  Supposed to arrive today from Amazon.  Kids do not know yet. 

My son started playing A link to the Past on my SNES mini.  Having fun with that.  Also fired up Ocarina of Time on the Wii.
I dug out the Switch I bought my kids a year ago and they never used... I've started playing Fortnite.. I suck big time, but have 3 other buddies that play and are good, so we've been playing squads every night, complete with headset and microphones..   My wife and kids think I've lost it..  My daughters were recording me and I'm sure posting on TikTok.. 

So how protective of your community are people getting? I generally stay out of other people’s affairs and mind my own business. 

Our state has mandated all public and private schools closed for a minimum of several weeks (except daycare). And no gatherings over 10 people. 

Last night I drove by a driving school that had 30 kids sitting elbow to elbow and some other adults with them. (All clearly visible through the window.) Would you report it or let it slide?
We have a neighborhood Facebook page which of course is usually humorous on people crabbing.  Yesterday for the first time ever it was me who started the big thread war but I’d do it again. We have a big community basketball court and early in the day yesterday there were about 15 teenagers playing a big game on the court. I was pissed so I reminded everybody that social distancing means not sharing a freaking ball between 15 kids that could very easily be spreading it around. Some parents just couldn’t understand the problem. They said “I didn’t think it could spread outside. What are my kids supposed to do with themselves?!?” SMH.

Police probably wouldnt even go. If they did they would just break it up. Mayne different in your community, but here a local watering hole refused to close. They were on the news even. I think they told him they would pull his liquor license or refuse to renew eventually, but basically everybody said it was somebody else's responsibility to enforce the shutdowns. 

Governor pointed to local. Local pointed to Doj. Doj pointed to governor, etc. 

We have a neighborhood Facebook page which of course is usually humorous on people crabbing.  Yesterday for the first time ever it was me who started the big thread war but I’d do it again. We have a big community basketball court and early in the day yesterday there were about 15 teenagers playing a big game on the court. I was pissed so I reminded everybody that social distancing means not sharing a freaking ball between 15 kids that could very easily be spreading it around. Some parents just couldn’t understand the problem. They said “I didn’t think it could spread outside. What are my kids supposed to do with themselves?!?” SMH.
As a country we deserve what is coming. ####### idiots

Are Californians allowed out to grocery shop?

Emergencies only?
Based on my conversation with someone living in San Fran, I don't think their "restrictions" are that much different than what we supposedly have in place in PA.  You can still go to the grocery store (albeit maybe at pre-specified times).  You can still go out for walks.  You can still get delivery and takeout.  There are a lot of things that you can still do out of the house.

@Sinn Fein - apologies if I missed it, but how is your wife doing?
She finally got a test yesterday - probably get results Monday or Tuesday.  They also gave her an antibiotic - which seemed to help with symptoms overnight.  Symptoms had not really gotten worse - just still tightness in chest and shortness of breath, with a little coughing - very low fever (i.e. no spikes).  I think they ruled out pneumonia, but could still be bronchitis.

All in all, she is doing fine.  Thanks for asking!

It won't be long until all non-essential businesses are closed nationwide - with the National Guard used to enforce the edict.

If non-essential supplies are needed and you have the ability to do so...I'd get them as soon as possible.  Good luck out there all - be safe.

She finally got a test yesterday - probably get results Monday or Tuesday.  They also gave her an antibiotic - which seemed to help with symptoms overnight.  Symptoms had not really gotten worse - just still tightness in chest and shortness of breath, with a little coughing - very low fever (i.e. no spikes).  I think they ruled out pneumonia, but could still be bronchitis.

All in all, she is doing fine.  Thanks for asking!
Pulling for her my friend :thumbup:

It looks like I am housebound in L.A., outside of grocery shopping.   :sadbanana:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/la-mayor-eric-garcetti-issues-safer-at-home-order-residents-1285573?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti Issues "Safer at Home" Order for Residents

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti is taking further action in combatting the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

During a press conference on Thursday, Garcetti announced he has issued a "Safer at Home" Emergency Order, which demands all L.A. residents to stay inside their homes and immediately limit all movement outside of their homes beyond what is absolutely necessary to take care of essential needs. "Safer at Home" is described as a "more rigorous form of social distancing." 

[...]

What's reporting it going to accomplish?  If you feel so compelled what wrong with trying to talk to these people?

For those of you betting on over 250K infected, that's a death rate no worse than the flew. 0.01%.  Yes, I know we might not have gotten all the death recorded correctly early on, but, doctors should know now and going forward.  Again, you can't have both - this wide of a spread of infection and a high mortality rate.  We don't have enough deaths to support that. One or the other has to give.

What's reporting it going to accomplish?  If you feel so compelled what wrong with trying to talk to these people?
I doubt him talking to them would result in anything positive. These people have all heard about the restrictions, yet chose to do this. Now, if a police officer were to tell them to GTFO then maybe it would sink in a little more?

Based on my conversation with someone living in San Fran, I don't think their "restrictions" are that much different than what we supposedly have in place in PA.  You can still go to the grocery store (albeit maybe at pre-specified times).  You can still go out for walks.  You can still get delivery and takeout.  There are a lot of things that you can still do out of the house.
There are no time restrictions for grocery shopping. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread