What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (22 Viewers)

So, I just had an interesting trip to the supermarket. Our town has just recently issued a stay-at-home order and shut down everything but vital services. Apparently that means everybody run to the grocery store and buy as much stuff as you can (even though they're staying open). Literally aisles completely empty. I was just looking for some mac and cheese and hot dogs and they were completely gone.  :loco:
We aren't the brightest bulbs in the world.  

I really am starting to wonder how many cases requiring hospitalization they are expecting here (hour north of Boston). They have been emptying out hospitals of regular patients the last few days. Yesterday they started prepping a nursing home to take on patients. Earlier today they announced they were converting a high school into an emergency hospital. Now it appears they are doing the same thing at an area college. Besides setting up a ton of beds and equipment, not sure they could possibly staff all these places unless they expect one person to treat 20-30 patients at a time. 
:shock:

Baking is a great activity especially when you have kids that are bored. Reward is bread, pizza crust, etc that tastes better than store bought. Now with all this time on people's hands, cooking and baking are great hobbies. 
I have posted that my 20 year old daughter works at Sam's and has just dealt with all kinds of ugliness. Yesterday a big guy literally got in her face (she said inches away--she is 5'2 --110 pounds) and was literally screaming at her because the water was gone. I mean she is a cashier and has no control over the inventory. Her manager came over and cut the guy's membership card in half and said he is no longer welcome at Sam's. :thumbup:

She has sent me videos of what people are like there. She just sent me one of a guy with 20 packages of flour in his cart despite the sign saying max. 2 of any item. She just got off work and I told her to go back in and shop because she is alone up there and food is becoming harder to get.

Education jobs affected by the pandemic include adjunct positions in universities and colleges and preschool jobs. At Miami Dade College, the 2nd largest school in the US, enrollment for summer is down dramatically. Adjuncts like me have been told to expect many cancelled classes, as students are moved to classes taught by full-timers. It's a 2nd job for me, but many adjuncts cobble together a living by teaching at 2 and sometimes 3 schools.

My roommate teaches at a private university preschool. It was closed a week ago and she is working hard to deliver content via zoom to parents and 3-4 year-old children.  I expect many to stop paying next month. The summer programs could also be cancelled, which would eliminate a nice source of income to underpaid employees.

I really am starting to wonder how many cases requiring hospitalization they are expecting here (hour north of Boston). They have been emptying out hospitals of regular patients the last few days. Yesterday they started prepping a nursing home to take on patients. Earlier today they announced they were converting a high school into an emergency hospital. Now it appears they are doing the same thing at an area college. Besides setting up a ton of beds and equipment, not sure they could possibly staff all these places unless they expect one person to treat 20-30 patients at a time. 
Be glad they are preparing. 

I'm in Hoboken NJ on the other side of the river from NYC, a dense town full of city commuters and at that point, our playgrounds will have been closed for two weeks. 
I’ve got family up there in Bergen co.  Take care of yourselves!

Another friend of mine

TINTON FALLS - By the time Nick Tango received his positive coronavirus test, he said he had already recovered from the disease. 

Now he has to beat the stigma, as some who know him keep their distance. 

What he endured trying to get a test result was a nightmare and sheds some light on the struggle to control the pandemic in New Jersey, as elsewhere. 

"I felt alone and desperate. I felt no one believed me. I was told to go back to work. I don't know if I got people sick," Tango, a 32-year-old Tinton Falls resident, told the Asbury Park Press via a phone interview.

It took about two weeks for Tango to get test results for COVID-19, the name of the novel coronavirus that is believed to have originated in Wuhan, China.    

Part of the issue was the shortage of COVID-19 tests. Another was his first doctor told him his symptoms didn't warrant a test. One hospital simply lost his test, he said. 

"He was having challenges. One of our goals in this fight has been to improve testing," said state Sen. Vin Gopal, D-Monmouth, whom Tango reached out to in order to express his frustration. 

The tests are a universal issue in the country. Some ground has been made in that battle. Testing sites recently opened at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel and urgent care facilities in Eatontown, Howell and Marlboro. Ocean County College is the next planned site.  

These sites weren't available when Tango contracted the virus. He's positive he got it at a trade show in New York City on March 2. At the event, he mingled with attendees from home and abroad, including Italy.

Two days later, he woke up with a horrible fever. His temperature was 103.6 degrees. He stayed home from work, took Tylenol and hydrated.

He didn't think he had COVID-19. He didn't have a dry cough or shortness of breath, the common symptoms of the virus. 

On Friday, March 6, his fever broke and he went to work. However, the following day it returned, giving him a temperature of 103 degrees. He began to think he might have COVID-19. 

Tango gathered his things and went to Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch.  

He was isolated, and doctors came in wearing masks and gloves. X-ray machines were brought in. He was tested for the flu, strep and the rhinovirus, but not COVID-19. 

"I was told I didn't meet the requirements. They sent me home with a note that I could return to work in 24 hours," Tango said.

He felt well enough to go back to work on Tuesday, March 10, but by the next day, he was crippled again. Added to his symptoms were nausea and confusion. 

He went to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune. He was isolated again. Doctors were covered head to toe in protective gear. This time he was given the COVID-19 test and told to self-quarantine until the results came back. 

"They put a swab up your nose. It's not comfortable at all. And they swab your throat," Tango said of the process. 

Little did he know, he'd have to do it again. On March 13 hospital representatives called and asked him to return because it had lost his test. He returned was tested and went back to self-quarantine. 

On March 16, he woke a new man — or his old self. The fever was gone. Four days later, he got a call from the hospital. His test results were in. He was positive for COVID-19. 

"When I told them I felt good the doctor said 'Good, You beat it,'" Tango said. 

So if I genuinely had a pediatric emergency room physician in desperate need of masks in the phoenix area, how could I help?  Family friend, used to run the emergency department in our area and I coached her daughter...feel helpless.

Another friend of mine

TINTON FALLS - By the time Nick Tango received his positive coronavirus test, he said he had already recovered from the disease. 

Now he has to beat the stigma, as some who know him keep their distance. 

What he endured trying to get a test result was a nightmare and sheds some light on the struggle to control the pandemic in New Jersey, as elsewhere. 

"I felt alone and desperate. I felt no one believed me. I was told to go back to work. I don't know if I got people sick," Tango, a 32-year-old Tinton Falls resident, told the Asbury Park Press via a phone interview.

It took about two weeks for Tango to get test results for COVID-19, the name of the novel coronavirus that is believed to have originated in Wuhan, China.    

Part of the issue was the shortage of COVID-19 tests. Another was his first doctor told him his symptoms didn't warrant a test. One hospital simply lost his test, he said. 

"He was having challenges. One of our goals in this fight has been to improve testing," said state Sen. Vin Gopal, D-Monmouth, whom Tango reached out to in order to express his frustration. 

The tests are a universal issue in the country. Some ground has been made in that battle. Testing sites recently opened at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel and urgent care facilities in Eatontown, Howell and Marlboro. Ocean County College is the next planned site.  

These sites weren't available when Tango contracted the virus. He's positive he got it at a trade show in New York City on March 2. At the event, he mingled with attendees from home and abroad, including Italy.

Two days later, he woke up with a horrible fever. His temperature was 103.6 degrees. He stayed home from work, took Tylenol and hydrated.

He didn't think he had COVID-19. He didn't have a dry cough or shortness of breath, the common symptoms of the virus. 

On Friday, March 6, his fever broke and he went to work. However, the following day it returned, giving him a temperature of 103 degrees. He began to think he might have COVID-19. 

Tango gathered his things and went to Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch.  

He was isolated, and doctors came in wearing masks and gloves. X-ray machines were brought in. He was tested for the flu, strep and the rhinovirus, but not COVID-19. 

"I was told I didn't meet the requirements. They sent me home with a note that I could return to work in 24 hours," Tango said.

He felt well enough to go back to work on Tuesday, March 10, but by the next day, he was crippled again. Added to his symptoms were nausea and confusion. 

He went to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune. He was isolated again. Doctors were covered head to toe in protective gear. This time he was given the COVID-19 test and told to self-quarantine until the results came back. 

"They put a swab up your nose. It's not comfortable at all. And they swab your throat," Tango said of the process. 

Little did he know, he'd have to do it again. On March 13 hospital representatives called and asked him to return because it had lost his test. He returned was tested and went back to self-quarantine. 

On March 16, he woke a new man — or his old self. The fever was gone. Four days later, he got a call from the hospital. His test results were in. He was positive for COVID-19. 

"When I told them I felt good the doctor said 'Good, You beat it,'" Tango said. 
The ongoing testing issues have been a national disaster, your friend's experience almost defies belief.

I'm glad he's recovered now.

I received my hand sanitiser from goatmilkstuff.com. It's very moisturising for a hand sanitiser and scent is wonderful once the alcohol scent has dissipated in less than a minute. You can choose whatever scent they offer in their lush long lasting soaps. Your wives would love this!
just ordered some. How long did it take?

So if I genuinely had a pediatric emergency room physician in desperate need of masks in the phoenix area, how could I help?  Family friend, used to run the emergency department in our area and I coached her daughter...feel helpless.
There may be a local place taking donations of excess medical supplies from people, if so she can check with them to see how the allocation works.

Here's an example of a local one in Columbus: https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/features/coronavirus/ways-to-help/donate-supplies

Having read all of T.X.'s posts throughout, it sounds an awful lot more to me like, "Those who vocally disagree with the experts in matters of life and death are in danger of contributing to loss of life."
MOP just pulled out part of what TX said so he could try to create a criticism. 

TX's full sentence was unambiguously clear: 

We don't have it under control. That is what I'm trying to communicate, and dismissive posts run counter to that effort. 

My sister and a cousin are sewing masks and sending them another cousin who works in a hospital.  They found the directions/patterns online.  My nurse cousin said the masks with a pocket to insert a kleenex, or other secondary filter fabric, were better.

I also saw a facebook post about theaters pulling together their excess masks that they would normally use when creating new backdrops for new plays/musicals and sending them to hospitals in the area.

just ordered some. How long did it take?
They should have stock on everything so a day maybe 2 to get it shipped out. I love this family and use a lot of their products. In regular times, if order is placed early enough, it'll ship same day. If not, next day. They had ran out of bottles but got a bunch in over the weekend so they should be fine. It'll probably ship tomorrow. They email you a usps tracking number. They have great customer service so any questions, they get back to you quick. I got a response at 9 pm last week, midnight their time. They are a family business that work hard and have the best quality products.  :)

Worldometer March 25  02:07 GMT Update (The day is reset after midnight GMT+0.)

1. China: 81,218 (+47) cases, 3,281 (+4) deaths
  2. Italy: 69,176 (+5,249) cases, 6,820 (+743) deaths
  3. USA: 54,808 (+11,074) cases, 775 (+222) deaths
  4. Spain: 42,058 (+6,922) cases, 2,991 (+680) deaths
  5. Germany: 32,991 (+3,935) cases, 159 (+36) deaths
  6. Iran: 24,811 (+1,762) cases, 1,934 (+122) deaths
  7. France: 22,304 (+2,448) cases, 1,100 (+240) deaths
  8. Switzerland: 9,877 (+1,082) cases, 122 (+2) deaths
  9. S. Korea: 9,037 (+76) cases, 120 (+9) deaths
  10. UK: 8,077 (+1,427) cases, 422 (+87) deaths
  11. Netherlands: 5,560 (+811) cases, 276 (+63) deaths
  12. Austria: 5,283 (+809) cases, 28 (+7) deaths
  13. Belgium: 4,269 (+526) cases, 122 (+34) deaths
  14. Norway: 2,866 (+241) cases, 12 (+2) deaths
  15. Canada: 2,792 (+701) cases, 26 (+2) deaths
  16. Portugal: 2,362 (+302) cases, 33 (+10) deaths
  17. Australia: 2,317 (+430) cases, 8 (+2) deaths
  18. Sweden: 2,299 (+253) cases, 49 (+13) deaths
  19. Brazil: 2,247 (+323) cases, 46 (+12) deaths
  20. Israel: 1,930 (+488) cases, 3 (+2) deaths
At the rate we’re going, we’re soon going to have the most confirmed cases of any country.

Politician Spock said:
We have more than enough toilet paper in this country to make it through this crisis even with a stalled economy. The problem is the toilet paper distribution is skewed due to people hoarding much more toilet paper than they need.

We have more than enough wealth in this country to make it through this crisis even with a stalled economy. The problem is the wealth distribution is skewed due to people hoarding much more wealth than they need.

The solution to both problems is the end of the hoarding. 
Maybe tp-based currency is the answer? 

GawainB said:
Having read all of T.X.'s posts throughout, it sounds an awful lot more to me like, "Those who vocally disagree with the experts in matters of life and death are in danger of contributing to loss of life."
I'm sorry you and others would feel that way, still echos of a mindset built around science as a protector to lash out and enforce what YOU WANT to see happen in this country.

-Nothing changes in these forums, doesn't matter the topic, doesn't matter if it's a real event like the Bataclan Torture and Murder in France or this one currently, everyone has an opinion, an agenda and want to recruit as many disciples to their POV as possible since it solidifies and strengthens how some folks feel. 

I did initially relay facts from the local circuit here in South Florida and tried to share some stats I had come across but alas those would never be good enough for some folks who want to push push push...

I just popped in this thread as @icon mentioned a few pages back and that was after not posting in the FFA for so long they put me on a milk carton so maybe I'm just rusty. 

I'm suffocating form the smoke in here and @Otis was kind enough to put a counter-19 thread up, the positive one and the Jobs/Economy I can find what I need to discuss there. I just think a lot of you are wound up way too tight and your minds are pretty closed off to any outside views on what needs to be done.  

I love the science community, it's helped me relax on so many things in life including the reality our bodies end up turning back into the Earth and when the sun burns out or the Earth is hit by another asteroid and we all die, the most likely scenario is our dust will eventually make its way into one of these Star Incubators to be redistributed into the Universe as Neil deGrasse Tyson shows. Science has helped me tremendously in the mental health department and helping me understand how foods directly impact my personality and ability to keep my cool most of the time, few exceptions like mismarked Swedish Fish that still get to me. 

I'm allowed to have a different opinion or feeling, and there is a tug of war right now between folks who want to get things to go back to normal ASAP and those that seem hellbent on pushing for total lockdown for possible months or "Shelter in Place"(The most overused and misunderstood term in this whole fiasco). But again there are other threads to discuss such matters and I'll keep any of those comments over there.

I really appreciate the concern Gawain, cheers! 

I'm sorry you and others would feel that way, still echos of a mindset built around science as a protector to lash out and enforce what YOU WANT to see happen in this country.

-Nothing changes in these forums, doesn't matter the topic, doesn't matter if it's a real event like the Bataclan Torture and Murder in France or this one currently, everyone has an opinion, an agenda and want to recruit as many disciples to their POV as possible since it solidifies and strengthens how some folks feel. 

I did initially relay facts from the local circuit here in South Florida and tried to share some stats I had come across but alas those would never be good enough for some folks who want to push push push...

I just popped in this thread as @icon mentioned a few pages back and that was after not posting in the FFA for so long they put me on a milk carton so maybe I'm just rusty. 

I'm suffocating form the smoke in here and @Otis was kind enough to put a counter-19 thread up, the positive one and the Jobs/Economy I can find what I need to discuss there. I just think a lot of you are wound up way too tight and your minds are pretty closed off to any outside views on what needs to be done.  

I love the science community, it's helped me relax on so many things in life including the reality our bodies end up turning back into the Earth and when the sun burns out or the Earth is hit by another asteroid and we all die, the most likely scenario is our dust will eventually make its way into one of these Star Incubators to be redistributed into the Universe as Neil deGrasse Tyson shows. Science has helped me tremendously in the mental health department and helping me understand how foods directly impact my personality and ability to keep my cool most of the time, few exceptions like mismarked Swedish Fish that still get to me. 

I'm allowed to have a different opinion or feeling, and there is a tug of war right now between folks who want to get things to go back to normal ASAP and those that seem hellbent on pushing for total lockdown for possible months or "Shelter in Place"(The most overused and misunderstood term in this whole fiasco). But again there are other threads to discuss such matters and I'll keep any of those comments over there.

Oh boy

CurlyNight said:
I received my hand sanitiser from goatmilkstuff.com. It's very moisturising for a hand sanitiser and scent is wonderful once the alcohol scent has dissipated in less than a minute. You can choose whatever scent they offer in their lush long lasting soaps. Your wives would love this!
I just received my gallon of hand sanitizer from Bulk Apothecary. No scent but I’m happy to finally receive it. Ordered it March 9th and arrived today. 

Going to share with friends who have run out. 

I just received my gallon of hand sanitizer from Bulk Apothecary. No scent but I’m happy to finally receive it. Ordered it March 9th and arrived today. 

Going to share with friends who have run out. 
That's good. I just like supporting a hard working farm family of 10 that produces the best quality and long lasting products. Found these folks when I was starting chemo. Haven't experienced any quality better. Just sharing as many want to support small family owned businesses that this is one.

GroveDiesel said:
At the rate we’re going, we’re soon going to have the most confirmed cases of any country.
From a post by a friend on social media today:

Based on new case rates over the past few days, the US will surpass Italy within 36 hours as the most-infected country in the world, with a far higher transmission rate. At this rate, four days from now we will have 200k infected in the USA. Taking the most conservative estimate or mortality rate that I could find (0.8%) that means 16,000 Americans will be dead. That’s the estimate if the virus magically stops spreading four days from now. It won’t. This is VERY real. Stay home please, if there is any way you can stay home, even if your government isn’t requiring it, it is pretty much the only way to save lives now. 

Current cases by country graph: https://i.imgur.com/r0dtTbc.jpg

Coronavirus: the hammer and the dance (long read)

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Heard an interview yestersay with the first female in Florida to get infected...she said she worked with a doctor in California who put her on a cocktail of supplements, with super high daily doses of vitamin C, about 1200mg per dose. She recovered quickly, but she is in her late 20s and in great shape/health.

I went to a local drugstore today and got the last big bottle of vitamin C gummies they had. Gonna keep my C level up just to be safe.

Your understanding of science is only matched by your understanding of math.  

CurlyNight said:
Ordered some for myself rather than my wife.  😉  Thanks!

Themes parks plan for opening April 19, one week after Easter. 

>> The planned reopen date was March 31, but the company moved it back as a response “to current conditions and make the health and safety of team members and guests our top priority,” Universal said in a statement. <<

Universal theme parks, hotels will be closed for extra 3 weeks. Disney may soon follow

>> On Tuesday, Royal Caribbean, which suspended the sailings of its global fleet due to the coronavirus, said ships would resume sailing on May 12. The company originally announced on March 14 that it would cancel cruise services until April 11. <<

Royal Caribbean cruises suspended for an extra month due to coronavirus, company says

Those plans sound optimistic, especially for the cruise lines. 

Users who are viewing this thread