Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

4 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Could someone pm me and explain to me how to do the face to face thing on a Samsung 50. My wife's oncologist is no longer doing office visits but doing it face to face on the phone. I have absolutely no clue how to do this. I have until tomorrow to figure it out.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-225321/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tamales said:

If 1m people die from this over the next year, how will that hurt the economy more than what we are doing now? I'm not suggesting we should value the economy over lives, just asking the question. Because I keep seeing people say this and I just don't see how losing 0.3% of our population kills our economy.

Is this a serious question?

What did 9/11 due to our economy?  How many people died at 9/11?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

We have more than enough toilet paper in this country to make it through this crisis even with a stalled economy. The problem is the toilet paper distribution is skewed due to people hoarding much more toilet paper than they need.

We have more than enough wealth in this country to make it through this crisis even with a stalled economy. The problem is the wealth distribution is skewed due to people hoarding much more wealth than they need.

The solution to both problems is the end of the hoarding. 

Awesome analogy - thank you

5 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Could someone pm me and explain to me how to do the face to face thing on a Samsung 50. My wife's oncologist is no longer doing office visits but doing it face to face on the phone. I have absolutely no clue how to do this. I have until tomorrow to figure it out.

I don’t know either rusty. Google your question and you’ll get your answer for sure 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dgreen said:

For a while, we've been saying "We need to test!" And that's true. But at what point do we say "We are testing!" I believe there were over 60,000 tests yesterday. Does that qualify as "We are testing"?

Better I guess but still woefully behind were we need to be.

12 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Personally, I consider "we are testing" when anyone with symptoms can walk in and get a test. Just my opinion. 

This is "we are testing" :goodposting:

5 minutes ago, Politician Spock said:

We have more than enough toilet paper in this country to make it through this crisis even with a stalled economy. The problem is the toilet paper distribution is skewed due to people hoarding much more toilet paper than they need.

See, these are the things that really chap me during these times. Toilet paper distribution. You see videos of store workers just rolling out a pallet of toilet paper amid the masses.

Why can't they just have the toilet paper in the back somewhere, like where those swinging doors are near the back of the store. Position a table in front of that door and have people line up for one pack of toilet paper. Or two. Whatever the size is. Maybe each shopper gets 8 rolls of toilet paper per visit. Whatever.

So simple.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JAA said:

Agree if we get to +100k.  Today im not sure its huge.  I think it will be statistically significant once we get to the end of the peak because we will know the ultimate magnitude of our curve.

This isn’t really important but 10% of anything is statistically significant 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

The Whats App works. I have it on my Samsung J7 phone. Download the app. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, dgreen said:

For a while, we've been saying "We need to test!" And that's true. But at what point do we say "We are testing!" I believe there were over 60,000 tests yesterday. Does that qualify as "We are testing"?

The point of testing is that you do it in mass as early as possible so that you can separate and isolate people that test positive from those that test negative.  What percentage of our population would say has been tested this many weeks into this thing?  Not only that---so few tests have been conducted up to this point--that the results are moot.  If I get tested today--and I test negative--but 70% of the people around me have not gotten tested--what's to say that I don't test positive tomorrow? The testing needs to be done on scales that are exponentially larger than they are now.   

The problem now is that not only do we not have enough tests--but we don't have enough people and enough PPE's to support people to conduct the tests as many of those people are needed at hospitals to actually combat the pandemic.   Testing at the levels we need to is no longer a viable option-- and this is exactly why we are better off sheltering at home.  At this point--it's the only way to guarantee slowing down the transmission of the virus. 

Edited by jvdesigns2002
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, cosjobs said:

I'm headed to Austin Seafood for a commercial seafood pickup tomorrow. If you or @Mr. Ham or @bentley or @kevzilla or other NW Austin nerds want me to pickup something for them, I will. @Sigmund Bloom or other NW Austinites, too

I'll call in the order and pay over the phone. The will bring out and load in the back of my truck when I text them I am there.

If any of you guys want anything, PM me with your email and I will send over the product list.

I will then leave it on my porch for you to pickup. You can leave the $$ on the porch.

Don’t need anything but thanks so much for the offer. Stay well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

How can I download WhatsApp?

The process on Android is very similar to on iOS and as with iOS there are two ways todownload WhatsApp. One is to open Google Play, type 'WhatsApp' into the search bar and look for 'WhatsApp Messenger' by 'WhatsAppInc'. Tap that, hit 'install' and wait for it to appear on your phone.Jan 25, 2019

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayrod said:

That would be awful and it would have long reaching effects.  As would sending our economy into a second great depression.  Both are awful and I think we can avoid both extremes, but every decision has negative effects one way or the other.  It is a very delicate balance and I don't think anyone has the answers.

This cannot be an excuse for leadership not to act decisively. Firm data that makes the decisions easier is not forthcoming.

Additionally ... you use the term "delicate balance", and I think those words are apt. The overall coronavirus problem can be worked from multiple angles. It doesn't have to be a stark choice between "Ruin the economy! Millions in poverty!" and "Shut it all down and stop COVID in its tracks or else millions die!"

I don't mean halfway measures in between -- I mean both "Shut it (almost) all down" AND  simultaneously "Do things to help the economically-ruined businesses and individuals".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

What percentage of our population would say has been tested this many weeks into this thing?  

0.08%

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tamales said:

If 1m people die from this over the next year, how will that hurt the economy more than what we are doing now? I'm not suggesting we should value the economy over lives, just asking the question. Because I keep seeing people say this and I just don't see how losing 0.3% of our population kills our economy.

Fewer taxpayers. Fewer skilled workers. More families bankrupted by medical bills.

Also, I think that people aren't considering the full ramifications of what the "back to work" strategy really entails. It's not like we'll just be "business as usual, but with more deaths". Businesses will still see massive declines. Restaurants will still close down. Arenas will be empty. But none of it will be caused by the government; it will be caused by the natural result of people self-quarantining in droves.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JAA said:

Is this a serious question?

What did 9/11 due to our economy?  How many people died at 9/11?

So you are saying the deaths of 3k people ruined the economy? You can't be serious

• Like 1

I don't understand the logic of the "go back to work" plan from several different angles.

First, does Trump have that authority? Seems to me mayors and governors are the ones who have called for and are (somewhat) enforcing sheltering in place. If Trump says go back to work, will Newsom and Breed follow suit in the Bay Area? I find that extremely unlikely.

Second, let's say that people do go back to work. People return to the coffee houses, start flying again, taking busses and subways to work. Yes, some work from home more than previously, but essentially people are out and about again. People's buying habits return to normal, stores are stocked normally, people go back to restaurants, slowly. But many of us are still infected, knowingly and not. 

So I go back to work, healthy, and catch COVID when I go to my office kitchen. I'm asymptomatic, and I bring it home and give it to my wife, and later that day, my mother, and the next day, some of my staff at work. Suddenly, we show symptoms, as does my wife, so we stay home sick. And my mom is sick, so she can't take care of our kids. Hmmm, what are we going to do about that problem.

Meanwhile, my mom sees a friend and passes on COVID to her, who brings it back to her nursing home, where it spreads like wildfire over the next couple weeks. 

Oh, and by the way, schools are still closed here in California. What are we doing about childcare? We're trying to divide and conquer with other parents, but none of them want our kids, and we don't really want theirs. And we can't find anybody to support daycare, never mind we are not in a great position to pay for that. We're worried about our jobs and attempting to save, not blast through our savings.

Multiply the above scenario time a million.

I understand the need for metrics. I work for the government after all. But a "return to work" plan seems extremely dangerous and I just don't see how in can be implemented without overwhelming our healthcare system, and without a $#^(ton of misery. 

• Like 4

Just now, dgreen said:

0.08%

My point exactly.  That number is actually much lower than I anticipated. Good god thats bad. 

15 minutes ago, Sneegor said:

I only wish it was as easy to become wealthy as it is to buy a bunch of toilet paper.

15 minutes ago, Pipes said:

Unfortunately this is never going to change and uneven wealth distribution is hardly unique to the United States. 

It's possible that neither of you can even comprehend the emotions that Schindler felt. That makes me sad for both of you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Fewer taxpayers. Fewer skilled workers. More families bankrupted by medical bills.

Also, I think that people aren't considering the full ramifications of what the "back to work" strategy really entails. It's not like we'll just be "business as usual, but with more deaths". Businesses will still see massive declines. Restaurants will still close down. Arenas will be empty. But none of it will be caused by the government; it will be caused by the natural result of people self-quarantining in droves.

Do economists tie a value to deaths? All those things you mentioned in the first paragraph are happening now on a much greater scale

22 minutes ago, dgreen said:

Makes sense. What would tell us that? News reports? Is there data that can help determine when that might be?

This is likely. Currently they are telling us if you have symptoms to stay home and deal with it yourself. The only ones getting tests are people who need to be admitted into the hospital when they get worse. Sadly, I think this could add to the current death numbers. Stay at home until its too late can easily turn into you came in too late to help you. 

2 hours ago, JaxBill said:

It's camping. Except there's a cabin instead of a tent. And you're sleeping on beds not air mattresses.  (Last year I brought my sleeping bag and pillow and used that on top of the covers)

And the cabin has electricity and hot water and...cable. 

So it's basically an excuse to drink nonstop for a couple of days.

eta - 2 BR cottage here

That doesn’t sound like camping.  It sounds like renting a cabin.  Which is fun too.

1 hour ago, Capella said:

So as somebody who doesn’t understand this stuff at all, what is New York doing using 100k of those pills that people have been touting to work? I read they were putting them into play today. Last-ditch effort to save people? 

This is placebo-ish ... but IMHO there is too much smoke for there to be no benefit at all. Trouble is, that benefit is probably heavily qualified: has to be taken early on (cf. Tamiflu), only effective for 1 in 5 people, the mitigating effects are measurable but mild, loads of common drug interactions, etc.

IOW, whatever pill NYC is gearing up to distribute ... it ain't a cure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Exactly. The velocity of money has stopped on a dime. Getting it back to the speed it was before the crisis could take years. 

After 48 hours of traveling. Multiple flight cancellations and diversions. And a year away overseas. Our daughter has made it home safely back from Thailand. 

:towelwave::towelwave::towelwave:

• Like 35
  • Love 12

6 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Cuomo presser on if anyone interested 

Shouldn't those supplies behind him be distributed somewhere?

10 minutes ago, tamales said:

So you are saying the deaths of 3k people ruined the economy? You can't be serious

That is the point, it wasnt the deaths.  This is starting to feel like you are trolling.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Terminalxylem said:

I didn't "whip up" any stats - by and large, they come from peer-reviewed medical journals. You know, stuff people who actually take care of C-19 patients read. I rarely watch the news.

And yes, it's stressful in my house. Wanna know why? Because people are fixating on numbers based on incomplete data sets, to justify self-serving behavior, and missing the bigger picture of the trajectory of illness as it relates to our healthcare resources. Things like ICU beds, ventilators, critical care nurses, etc. And masks. When any one of those is exhausted, the mortality numbers will shoot up. And not just for COVID-19 infections.

You'll be happy to know I've been off work the last few days, and took the opportunity to hike (a safe distance away from others) several hours daily. There's plenty of sun and fresh air in HI. But tomorrow I go back to the hospital, where I'll surely take care of many C-19 patients, including a few who were dismissive of the pandemic's severity. I won't hold it against them.

But please don't underestimate how disastrous this situation may become; put some trust in people who devote their lives to studying and treating infectious diseases, and try to learn from countries that have contained it.

Mrs works in a hospital as well...I mentioned they had 10 test kits at the start, were fortunate to have close to 1,000 going into this past weekend. 

No inpatients at the moment with the CV-19

It should be stressful in your house if you are walking in and out of a hospital, those places are full of germs.

Glad everyone has hitched their wagon to your stats and posts, I'm not going to re-post any of the numbers I came across, sounds like you have it all under control. You take care of you, don't envy you having to be exposed in a hospital, I'm concerned for my wife and I'm sure you understand. 

Again, cheers and stay strong.  

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Shouldn't those supplies behind him be distributed somewhere?

Was thinking that. I’m guessing they are empty boxes?

This thread is a strange mix of people complaining about the money their business will lose and people worried about loved ones getting ill.   

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Is it OK to continue the cost/benefits discussion in this thread instead?  It seems worth discussing but maybe it's hijacking this thread a bit. 

Sure.

I just mean drop the personal back and forth arguing that was happening. That kind of stuff is what hurts real discussion in other areas. 

• Thanks 1

Cuomo talking how we can simultaneously restart the economy and protect public health. His plan sounds a lot like mine. So now we can stop bickering about it being either / or and everyone can be happy right?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

This is likely. Currently they are telling us if you have symptoms to stay home and deal with it yourself. The only ones getting tests are people who need to be admitted into the hospital when they get worse. Sadly, I think this could add to the current death numbers. Stay at home until its too late can easily turn into you came in too late to help you. 

Too many people that are infected but showing minor symptoms at hospitals would be really bad too.

I keep reading about how well social distancing worked in 1918 in St louis. Why are we not trying what worked even better in st louis?

Mobilize coronavirus care. Now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

The population of Lombardy is about 10MM people.

If you look at the comparison here it's difficult to see how NYC gets out of this with fewer than 5-10k fatalities.  And to limit it to that we'd have to more or less shut it down completely in the next few days.

NY should have shut things down completely 10-14 days ago.  Or sooner.  We all should have. This was just basic math all along.  Our government has failed us.

• Like 1

And Cuomo is saying we can do both from the current US epicenter of this virus. If he thinks we can pull it off, so should we.

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Some people are dumb. My wife runs a company of about 60 people. Starting last Monday, they let everyone who wasn't in production move to WFH. A couple office staff still insisted on going to the office everyday. Yesterday, one of those office workers who could have been working from home calls her midday and says, "I wasn't feeling good all weekend, feel like I am getting the flu. I am probably going to WFH Tuesday." She also got a call from a freaked out production worker who says one of other production members said his girlfriend (whom he lives with) was hospitalized over the weekend for a cough and trouble breathing. WTF is wrong with people? Are people really this dumb and oblivious? 

My GM joked with me the other day that he thought I was losing it.  BUT this is just at work that I am stressed because I know that I am surrounded by people that don't take this seriously and are doing similar to what you talk about.  

Just today, on our 1st day of the "safe at home", 2 of the workers came in grumbling that there is no way they can make them stay at home for more than a week.   And these are people who are lucky enough to be working at a place that for some reason is still coded as "essential", and don't have kids,  so they really aren't sacrificing that much.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

You may need to talk to your doctor about what app(s) they are allowed to use for telehealth.  Most video chat apps are not HIPPA compliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Cuomo talking how we can simultaneously restart the economy and protect public health. His plan sounds a lot like mine. 

What’s the plan?

I grew up in NY so remember Mario Cuomo when he was Governor...but was too young to form an opinion on him.  But Andrew Cuomo is tremendous...didn’t know much about him before all this since I’ve been gone from NY for 25+ years, but the job he is doing in communicating to all of us makes me emotional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eoMMan said:

Here in the US, you're going to have more suicides, more people not going to the hospital for other illnesses, etc. that will result in whole lot of deaths.  These deaths will be damn near impossible to populate.

So yeah, don't knock Jayrod too much.

You'll also have a lot less car accident deaths as we are now.  Another big variable to throw on the pile.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

What’s the plan?

Cuomo emphasizing the need to increase hospital ICU capacity and ramp up supplies of PPE and ventilators to meet the projected numbers while sending young people back to work.

Mine's here...

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/784487-solve-the-coronavirus/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-22599541

I'm not sure if he said it or not, but I think as we open businesses back up, the workers cleared to go back should be going back with gloves and masks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Governor Cuomo is literally a hero.

I'm a "vote the man, not the party" kind of guy. I'd be so proud if I were a New Yorker, I am proud as an American. Talk about rising to the occasion. I'd vote for this guy for President in a second.

(I do remind myself, however, how impressed I was with Giuliani after 9/11 and look at that mess now)

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Cuomo emphasizing the need to increase hospital ICU capacity and ramp up supplies of PPE and ventilators to meet the projected numbers while sending young people back to work.

Mine's here...

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/784487-solve-the-coronavirus/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-22599541

I'm not sure if he said it or not, but I think as we open businesses back up, the workers cleared to go back should be going back with gloves and masks.

Not sure that's what he said. I think he's saying put people back who have resolved the virus, and an efficient test needs to help us identify those who have resolved. 

(he's clarifying now)

Edited by Sandeman

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Sandeman said:

I'm a "vote the man, not the party" kind of guy. I'd be so proud if I were a New Yorker, I am proud as an American. Talk about rising to the occasion. I'd vote for this guy for President in a second.

(I do remind myself, however, how impressed I was with Giuliani after 9/11 and look at that mess now)

I am as well. Is it too late for Dems to ditch Biden and tell Cuomo his services are needed?

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 3