What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (21 Viewers)

Coronavirus PR (and having lots of masks and ventilators) is working for China.

Fox: China joins UN Human Rights Council panel despite troubling record, response to coronavirus 
China will now play a central role in picking at least 17 human rights investigators, including those looking at freedom of speech, enforced disappearance and arbitrary detention.
I hope that someone is looking at China knowingly sending infected people to locations for the sole purpose of harming other countries.

Careful this site is shady as hell 
Interesting - I've ordered a couple items from them before with no issues.  Last time they had masks (couple weeks ago) I ordered 1 for each person in the family.  Got them, no issues.

Warning taken, though.

Anyone putting a "we are opening on XX date" is ridiculous. Nobody knows wtf the country will look like on that date. I get the enthusiasm and hopefullness, but saying Easter, or July 4th, or memorial day, is just foolish. 

Anyone putting a "we are opening on XX date" is ridiculous. Nobody knows wtf the country will look like on that date. I get the enthusiasm and hopefullness, but saying Easter, or July 4th, or memorial day, is just foolish. 
Christmas for sure though, right?

as a VERY avid calcio/footy/soccer viewer, I am left speechless, nearly every day at the talk coming from league heads.

They're talking early may, now late may to a return to football (probably behind closed doors) to complete the season... the desperation is mindboggling.

I legitimately cant figure out of it's absolute delusion on the part of rich old men in charge, or if it's "let's give 'em some false hope so they have something to look forward to"

The Italian FA chief just this week said "May 20 is the date we're looking to start back up" not 24hrs later, a HUGE backpedal to "we'll return when we're cleared to return"... sounds like a top ranking political official slapped the taste out of his mouth. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My very rural north Florida county has its first case. The message the sheriff’s office and dept of health sent our said they are doing contact tracing for anyone he had contact with in the last two weeks. It’s a small town, shouldn’t be hard. But what I wonder is, why doesn’t he identify himself? I would. I would be all “hey, if we’ve been in contact in the last 2-3 weeks, please know I’m covid positive.” Again, it’s a small town, shouldn’t be hard. 

Just keep watching the stock market for the extreme volatility to unwind. Once you see the VIX drop closer to 20 and stay down, that's when you'll know opening day is just around the corner. VIX is still at ~47 so we are not even close. 

i just have trouble grasping how they think w 7-900 deaths a day, ppl are wondering "when is calcio back"?
Given what I'm seeing with the laxity of physical distancing, one can't help but wonder if the emotional distance between your average person and the sick allows them to contemplate whether indeed Calcio is indeed back.

"The CDC don't know what they're talking about" shtick is weird shtick.
They’ve opened themselves up to some of the criticisms. If for no other reason, for insisting for months that people shouldn’t use masks and then all of a sudden changing and saying people should wear masks without giving any explanation at all as to why they were changing their recommendation.

This still confuses me.  Why are infections set to skyrocket/keep increasing?  Most of us are locked in our homes.  How is that even going to happen at this point?  Seems to me we should be hitting the peak real soon and on our way down.
Most aren't locked in their homes, and even fewer were at the start of restrictions - look at the link bradyfan provided for gps tracking based on cell phone activity. And what we see today is the result of policy and behavior from weeks-months ago.

More importantly, the math of exponential spread.

Christmas for sure though, right?
The country will open up by summer, one way or another.

The most likely scenario, IMO, is that the rate of new cases will stabilize (or decline slightly), and the authorities will seize upon that fact as proof that the worst is behind us. And lockdowns will be lifted. And then people will go nuts with their outdoor activities -- largely ignoring social distancing recommendations. And then the rate of new cases will skyrocket again in the fall.

This is hitting me hard the last couple of days. I’m fortunate to not have been directly impacted, but seeing what others are going through is super depressing. Feels like there is no end in sight 
Hang in there man. We're all in this together. Find something, anything to distract for a bit. Its ok to check out from reality from time to time.
The stories are indeed sad. Buckle up and do what you can to stay healthy. Keeping yourself healthy keeps you from being part of the spread. I've had plenty of despair myself over this and I'm doing all I can to not be part of the spread.  Good luck!

as a VERY avid calcio/footy/soccer viewer, I am left speechless, nearly every day at the talk coming from league heads.

They're talking early may, now late may to a return to football (probably behind closed doors) to complete the season... the desperation is mindboggling.

I legitimately cant figure out of it's absolute delusion on the part of rich old men in charge, or if it's "let's give 'em some false hope so they have something to look forward to"

The Italian FA chief just this week said "May 20 is the date we're looking to start back up" not 24hrs later, a HUGE backpedal to "we'll return when we're cleared to return"... sounds like a top ranking political official slapped the taste out of his mouth. 
Don’t forget about Belarus soccer. Still going.

Premier League still baking up some no fan/isolated finish to the season in mid-summer.

That's when the optimism is dangerous.  No doubt the reports from Italy that ICU visits are down will get the desperate footy clubs excited.  But the truth is that as long as a country has thousands of new cases a day, they won't be opening up anytime soon.

They are starting to designate aisles as "one way" now too. 
About 25% of the people at my local grocery store seemed to completely ignore the arrows. Or felt like it was appropriate to do their usual thing of standing there in the middle of an aisle for 5 minutes looking at every single option of canned tomatoes while others stood waiting 6’ away to continue down the aisle.

Don’t forget about Belarus soccer. Still going.

Premier League still baking up some no fan/isolated finish to the season in mid-summer.
Pick small, isolated stadiums, and allow fans who have recovered to go for free (for atmosphere).  Create a schedule that takes place in July-August.  Give them a month off to handle transfers and kick things off in September.  Work with FIFA to cancel all international football until Spring 2021.  

If teams can financially survive, this would actually be a blessing in disguise for the players.  The stars of the game never get a break.  These 3 months might be great for their bodies longterm.

Trump may say open up, but the governors will do what is best for their states.
It will be interesting sports wise. One team says no way at that time and that's it. Just like with the Olympics with Canada and Australia saying they're not coming. 

My wife wants to do takeout, probably pizza tonight, to support local businesses but she's freaked out about it at the same time.  I saw others suggest putting the take out in the oven for a bit and throwing the boxes, etc. Away - that seems reasonable.  Anyone have a link to an article discussing how to handle take out food when you get it home? An article would help ease her fears more than me saying it... Lol.
Thanks @beer 30 and @Redwes25

We used gloves when we picked up the pizza and my wife had a towel on her lap as she held the pizzas as we drove home.  Then we took the pizza out of the box in the garage, brought the slices inside and they went right into the oven.  Other pieces that we aren't eating tonight went right into the fridge.  Boxes never came inside - they went directly into the trash.  Seemed to work out well and my wife wasn't freaked out since we had a good gameplan.

The country will open up by summer, one way or another.

The most likely scenario, IMO, is that the rate of new cases will stabilize (or decline slightly), and the authorities will seize upon that fact as proof that the worst is behind us. And lockdowns will be lifted. And then people will go nuts with their outdoor activities -- largely ignoring social distancing recommendations. And then the rate of new cases will skyrocket again in the fall.
And then we'll be back to staying at home...

My very rural north Florida county has its first case. The message the sheriff’s office and dept of health sent our said they are doing contact tracing for anyone he had contact with in the last two weeks. It’s a small town, shouldn’t be hard. But what I wonder is, why doesn’t he identify himself? I would. I would be all “hey, if we’ve been in contact in the last 2-3 weeks, please know I’m covid positive.” Again, it’s a small town, shouldn’t be hard. 
He/she is embarrassed? Would people go nuts with death threats? 

This is what I have expected all along.  Understanding the mathematics behind this and unless some type of vaccine is administered, are we really  ready to stay in this stay at home state until this time next year? 

As  we are seeing in Korea, Japan, and China after their strong measures the virus is coming back and they are having to implement many of the same restrictions again. And these efforts are only to flatten the curve, but there will still be thousands (several) a day getting this going forward.  I am not sure everyone is understanding this concept.  Six months from now their will still likely to be thousands a day get the virus.

This is what I have expected all along.  Understanding the mathematics behind this and unless some type of vaccine is administered, are we really  ready to stay in this stay at home state until this time next year? 

As  we are seeing in Korea, Japan, and China after their strong measures the virus is coming back and they are having to implement many of the same restrictions again. And these efforts are only to flatten the curve, but there will still be thousands (several) a day getting this going forward.  I am not sure everyone is understanding this concept.  Six months from now their will still likely to be thousands a day get the virus.
Are the same people getting reinfected?

Yes, Again, this #### isn't about you getting it. I know you realize this, but it is still frustrating as #### to read. Get over yourself and think of the greater good. It's a few months of the many you will live. Please find a way to deal. 
Few months? Some people in this thread are saying 6 months.

And as Shader and some others claim this would go away if we had a real lockdown for 21 days.  No it would not, unless everyone was tested daily and as soon as you had a symptom you would be sent away from everyone (ie remove from family) to a Covid hospital.  And this would work for the US only as long as no one was allowed to enter or exit the country.  And all products entering the country would be guaranteed until cleared.  How long can we do that?

:goodposting: Me too, or sooner. At some point it turns to into just let me get this thing and get it over with. 
I love the "put me in the first Higgins boat, I wanna get this thing over with sooner rather than later" schtick

By all means, you guys go first...be my guest.  I'll gladly hang back for the wave that occurs when more is known, hospitals aren't over-burdened, and effective treatment plans are in place.  

Thanks in advance.

Are the same people getting reinfected?
No, but such a small % of the population has had the virus and recovered, some basic math shows the more we flatten the curve with these measures the longer we cannot allow semi-regular interactions in public.  And we are not talking this fall, it would be a lot longer unless there are a lot more asymptomatic people that have had Covid than the data is showing.  We can only hope, because there is no way we can recover economically or our way of life in a decade if we are still in the stay at home status this time next year.

I plotted US deaths since 3/15 (12 on that day) and got a polynomial curve that fits the actual totals very closely (R^2 of .96): 

5.50x^2 - 43.81x + 97.01, where x is days since 3/14.

That formula predicts...

•   1,424 today
  •   2,681 4/10
...thru next Friday.  That's 14k in the next seven days, or 2k per day. 

What interesting is that if the actuals deviate from predicted totals the actuals have adjusted over the next couple days to get back to the predicted aggregate total.

Going to track against these numbers to try and see how the curve is/isn't flattening.  It seems like we've probably cut back 75% or so of US activity so at some point, maybe very soon, it should be measurable. 

Users who are viewing this thread