Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Just now, Doug B said:

That link is to the CDC's white paper titled "Community Mitigation Guidelines to Prevent Pandemic Influenza — United States, 2017". If that's the basis of what they want the public to do ... that's got to be distilled WAY down.

Search for the word "food" on that page. It appears once:

"Coordinating with local partners to support households complying with voluntary home quarantine (e.g., providing necessary food and supplies)"

I searched that document for "food" to find the specific direction concerning "two weeks of food and water". Nowhere to be found on that page. Search "two weeks" and "14 days"? Nada.

That's a problem because you can't rely on "common sense". You also can't rely on people reading complicated Document A, having to reference complicated Document B, which makes no sense unless you already have knowledge of Document C, etc. Too diffuse, too indirect.

Heck, I am still trying to figure out which parts of the CDC stuff we like and which parts we don't like.

Likes include: 14 days food / water, self quarantine

Dislikes include: data suggests masks are largely useless for well people in public settings

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I had this problem yesterday around the two weeks thing, it wasn't obvious to me that what was quoted as the "GET TWO WEEKS OF FOOD" was really new information or somewhere to point to that was more generic.  I'm still not sure.  

Great website guys, really. :rolleyes:

Seconded.

You want people to do something, tell them to do it. In as few words as possible.

5 minutes ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

What do we do with this? Disregard the CDC's findings and get / use them because what can it hurt? 

If you look on the portion of the CDC site for health care providers relating to coronavirus, they emphasize the importance of using masks and eye protection to prevent the spread of disease.   Guess we're not supposed to click over there.

Edited by -fish-

1 minute ago, -fish- said:

If you look on the portion of the CDC site for health care providers relating to coronavirus, they emphasize the importance of using masks and eye protection to prevent the spread of disease.   Guess we're not supposed to click over there.

Conspiracy?

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

I’m getting some supplies later but not because I’m worried about getting the virus but rather I don’t usually have supplies on hand and if the announcement about a chance of snow is any indication there will be a run on food and water and I may be SOL.

:goodposting:Went to Costco this morning for exactly this reason.  Just got food since I don’t usually keep much around, and also disinfecting wipes since I’m going to be on a lot of planes in the next couple of months.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2

Conclusion:

As of Wednesday 2/26/2020 ... the CDC has not publicly recommended that U.S. citizens presently stockpile two weeks of food and water specifically in response to current COVID-19 conditions in the United States.

That recommendation may yet come. The two-weeks thing may be a smart measure that will save you headaches in the near future. But it's not yet an express recommendation from the CDC. Maybe it's close to being one. Maybe it's all but. But it's not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, -fish- said:

His point seems to be that the recommendations are all over the place.

2 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Conclusion:

As of Wednesday 2/26/2020 ... the CDC has not publicly recommended that U.S. citizens presently stockpile two weeks of food and water specifically in response to current COVID-19 conditions in the United States.

That recommendation may yet come. The two-weeks thing may be a smart measure that will save you headaches in the near future. But it's not yet an express recommendation from the CDC. Maybe it's close to being one. Maybe it's all but. But it's not.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19.html

Closest i can find is to prepare for school closures and telecommuting. It refers to pandemic planning document as well. 

Richard Engel

@RichardEngel

Top virologist working on the coronavirus's genetic code told me people who get covid-19 and recover build up resistance to it. Children seem to be quite resilient. Danger is to the elderly. Mortality rate (especially over 80yrs) is higher than overcall average.

1:47 PM · Feb 26, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

26 minutes ago, moleculo said:

Note to self: beat @beer 30 to the store for twizzlers.

:lmao: You better hurry, bought the last two packs of the strawberry-lemonade filled Twizzlers last night at our Walmart.

Just now, beer 30 said:

:lmao: You better hurry, bought the last two packs of the strawberry-lemonade filled Twizzlers last night at our Walmart.

lol, if you are willing to go to Walmart, you can have all the Twizzlers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, moleculo said:

lol, if you are willing to go to Walmart, you can have all the Twizzlers.

No doubt. I'd rather go on a cruise in the South China Sea right now 

• Laughing 1

29 minutes ago, Doug B said:

His point seems to be that the recommendations are all over the place.

Mine too

• Thanks 1

Went to CVS and restocked for what I feel would be our next two years of cold medicine needs.  With the following additional steps:

• Got additional nasal flushing solution more than would otherwise need.
  • Got Walter White amount of pseudo.

People were there doing the same types of things I was, multiple people came in looking for masks.  Same response given to all, they can't keep them in stock.

34 minutes ago, Nugget said:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19.html

Closest i can find is to prepare for school closures and telecommuting. It refers to pandemic planning document as well. 

Yes, I read this earlier -- I thought this transcript of today's press conference was what Fish was talking about. Here's a direct quote from that link:

"To illustrate how this works, I’d like to share with you some of the specific recommendations made in the document I mentioned last Friday including some of the steps we would take here if needed.  This document is called Community Mitigation Guidelines to Prevent Pandemic Influenza United States 2017."

"... some of the steps we would take if needed." "Would take". Not a recommendation.

I may be asking a dumb question or one that has been answered already but why am I storing water - is my tap water going to be contaminated or is this for people who can’t drink their tap water?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I may be asking a dumb question or one that has been answered already but why am I storing water - is my tap water going to be contaminated or is this for people who can’t drink their tap water?

If water really becomes a problem, we are at mad max level and Icon is going to need to start reloading ammo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Azar refuses to promise a coronavirus vaccine will be affordable for anyone:

"We would want to ensure that we work to make it affordable, but we can't control that price, because we need the private sector to invest.. Price controls won't get us there."

:lmao: Christ. We live in some dark times. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Depends on where your water comes from.  If you need personnel to run the equipment that pumps water to you, what happens if they are all out sick?

1 minute ago, Capella said:

"We would want to ensure that we work to make it affordable, but we can't control that price, because we need the private sector to invest.. Price controls won't get us there."

That guy has not been impressive so far. Curious about his background.

7 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

You don't. People are crazy. Its good to have some food in case supermarkets are closed. 

What are some good food items to buy? Canned goods, rice, pasta...

3 minutes ago, Doug B said:

That guy has not been impressive so far. Curious about his background.

I think he worked for the Empire previously. 

5 minutes ago, culdeus said:

If water really becomes a problem, we are at mad max level and Icon is going to need to start reloading ammo.

Says the guy who just bought two years worth of cold meds?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BeTheMatch said:

Says the guy who just bought two years worth of cold meds?

#### won't expire for three.  I went for expy dates of 2022 where I could find them.  Stayed away from gel tabs that had quick expy.

Got two school age kids, we go thru this stuff like a smack addict.  

• Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, Capella said:

This is the same issue as antivirals.  People keep saying things like, "remdesivir looks like it will be effective, so it's not a big deal."   They're not going to give it away.   That stuff is expensive now, and if it turns out to be the silver bullet for this, it's just going to get more expensive.    Hopefully there's something to the chloroquinine.  That's cheap.

Just now, -fish- said:

This is the same issue as antivirals.  People keep saying things like, "remdesivir looks like it will be effective, so it's not a big deal."   They're not going to give it away.   That stuff is expensive now, and if it turns out to be the silver bullet for this, it's just going to get more expensive.    Hopefully there's something to the chloroquinine.  That's cheap.

I don't buy it. Government will take it by force of need be.

4 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

You don't. People are crazy. Its good to have some food in case supermarkets are closed. 

What are some good food items to buy? Canned goods, rice, pasta...

You have a freezer?  

Just now, -fish- said:

You have a freezer?  

Yes, how much meat we storing?

Just now, -fish- said:

You have a freezer?  

... if the water supply is compromised because of all the employee sickouts, can the power grid be far behind?

1 minute ago, Doug B said:

I know many don't believe China's numbers ... but if I'm looking at this correctly, they're reporting only nine new cases today and zero new deaths.

Yesterday, it was 415 new cases and 52 new deaths for China.

I believe that's excluding Hubai

• Thanks 1

Just now, BeTheMatch said:

I don't buy it. Government will take it by force of need be.

Lol.   That's why we've nationalized big pharma.   You can't actually believe this.  

1 hour ago, belljr said:

CDC believes at this time that symptoms of COVID-19 may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure. This is based on what has been seen previously as the incubation period of MERS-CoV viruses

Literally on the website

Some folks aren't very good at that Internet and readin stuff... Patience is key when dealing with those who need a little extra help.

• Like 1

I also appreciate how Iran doesn't even bother to count serious/critical cases -- everyone is either "mild symptoms" or "deceased" :( 

Just now, Penguin said:

I believe that's excluding Hubai

... OK. I remember something about the two sets of data being released a few hours apart. Makes sense.

Will look at Worldmeters later tonight.

Just now, shadyridr said:

Yes, how much meat we storing?

I'd just buy the same things I always buy, but vacuum pack and freeze an extra month's worth.  

Just now, Doug B said:

I also appreciate how Iran doesn't even bother to count serious/critical cases -- everyone is either "mild symptoms" or "deceased" :( 

My favorite was the health guy sweating through the press conference stating everything was fine. 

Just now, shadyridr said:

My favorite was the health guy sweating through the press conference stating everything was fine. 

Maybe he likes his Kung Pao spicy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2

15 minutes ago, Capella said:

My guess is they assume that the government will be guilted  into subsidizing it. Wouldn't be the first time tax dollars were used to pick up a tab that went on to fatten a bunch of C suite wallets.

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Lol.   That's why we've nationalized big pharma.   You can't actually believe this.  

If it came to that, you think they'd let thousands of AMERICANS die because they couldn't afford a vaccine? No chance.

South Korea's critical-case rate is pretty incredible if even halfway accurate -- reporting 18 out of 1,261 cases. 98% of their cases don't even get to the serious/critical stage?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -fish- said:

I'd just buy the same things I always buy, but vacuum pack and freeze an extra month's worth.  

Bingo. I'm sure there are a lot of folks who can't afford to pre-buy an extra months worth of groceries in advance… That is certainly unfortunate.

South Korea's critical-case rate is pretty incredible if even halfway accurate -- reporting 18 out of 1,261 cases. 98% of their cases don't even get to the serious/critical stage?

Only things fitting the End Times narrative are allowed here. TIA

14 hours ago, [icon] said:

Agree with the latter. 

Our plan is kinda one of stages. Obviously it's quite unlikely we will get to all stages... but I like at least having a plan, and happen to have outdoorsy/military buddies who do as well: 

1) Now: start slowly phasing in light social distancing and improved hygienic habits. View large crowd gatherings as risk/reward scenarios. 

2) Spreading begins stateside: Telecommute. Shelter in place mostly. Social distancing and Light PPE when in public. Establish decon station in garage w/ crude "scrub station" to keep inside home "clear". Stage 2 bins with important personal items, have 2 large bins ready for clothes (Odds: Likely) 

3) Spreading begins locally: Firm shelter in place. Stage clothes, supplies & be prepared to roll to a buddy's house on short notice. IF either of us needs to leave, full PPE and scrub in when returning home. (Odds: 50 / 50 of happening)

4) Quarantine / Instability: If we see threat of forced quarantine / local travel restriction / Localized looting, we will load clothes/supplies/weapons/personal bins into our two vehicles, secure the house, and relocate to a buddy's house about 4 miles away per an agreed upon plan. (Odds: Highly unlikely) 

Secondary / Emergency Location: He, his wife, and 2yo son live in a 9000 square foot brick home in a very nice neighborhood. It sits atop a hill at the end of a cove with great sight lines in all directions.

He's in the military, is a weapons expert. He's got 2+ years of food, more ammo than we could ever need, reloading bench, a nice garden, honey bees, significant medical supplies, an extensive whiskey collection, roughly 500gal water storage (bottled, 2x 55gal drums, 4x water BOBs), plus rainwater collection system tied into his gutters and a large water purification system. HE is a "prepper", albeit a very normal dude. His wife is a military/civilian pilot as well. You'd never guess any of this meeting them or walking around their house, which is by design. 

We will have 4-5 couples (all close friends) there to share watch/duties with plenty of bedrooms/space for everyone. Each would be coming in with ~2+ months of supplies. We could comfortably shelter in place for extended period there, and properly defend it if anyone who didn't prepare decided to get nosy. 

I hope you've picked attractive neighbors, for Stage 5, repopulation.

• Like 3

Having a far greater surplus of quality hospital beds, A smaller geographical area to enforce, a great head start on what was coming, and an intelligent/tech savvy/compliant population.

Sadly very few of those benefits translate over to us.

59 minutes ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

data suggests masks are largely useless for well people in public settings

fwiw, my wife says the same thing yesterday. We (well public) should not purchase masks as that only serves to reduce the availability for those that really need them like health care workers, people who see / interact with the public all day (think cashiers), and those with the virus.

12 minutes ago, Doug B said:

There was a report out yesterday that would indicate if you pass over the Serious threshold you are ####ed.  

2 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

fwiw, my wife says the same thing yesterday. We (well public) should not purchase masks as that only serves to reduce the availability for those that really need them like health care workers, people who see / interact with the public all day (think cashiers), and those with the virus.

TIL healthcare staff swing by Home Depot on their way to the hospital each day to get their daily allotment of masks..  But the masks only protect against infection when used within the geographical boundaries of a hospital.

Thats a lot of technology they pack into that tissue paper.:) 

Does your wife get her masks from Home Depot or Lowe's, or does she prefer to price shop?

Edited by [icon]

7 minutes ago, BeTheMatch said:

If it came to that, you think they'd let thousands of AMERICANS die because they couldn't afford a vaccine? No chance.

Thousands of Americans die because they can't afford insulin, cancer treatments, and other essential medications.   You think we're going to suddenly nationalize big pharma?   No chance.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Having a far greater surplus of quality hospital beds, A smaller geographical area to enforce, a great head start on what was coming, and an intelligent/tech savvy/compliant population.

Sadly very few of those benefits translate over to us.

A COVID patient going critical is more dumb luck (and underlying conditions) more than anything else, isn't it?