What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (21 Viewers)

On the Fauci/mask issue I’m conflicted. I think they should have come out with a recommendation for any face covering like they eventually did.

I initially was with them when they said masks weren’t needed unless you were showing symptoms but always assumed that it was protect the mask supply. There came a point when I realized that masks were needed. The problem was there were no masks to be found.

We had a box of about a dozen surgical for 4 employees. Even reusing them, they weren’t going to stretch very far. I made the choice not to use them until our company could provide us with enough to consistently wear them. I also started searching all over to find some in case they never did. What I found took nearly a month to come in and by the time they came in they started to provide us with masks and the face covering recommendation had come out.

I have no doubt that if I had started wearing the mask before that, it would have caused a lot of customers to be concerned that they didn’t have one and had no way to get one. That was at the point where they were saying anything less than an N-95 didn’t protect you. I was also hearing from friends who work in hospitals that PPE theft was already bad.

Looking back, as a health professional, I should have been wearing a mask and setting an example even though supplies were thin and may cause panic in some. It could have been avoided if they had recommended any face covering from the start. Or had a stockpile of PPE. Or forced manufacturers to make masks.

That's a link to Fauci explaining why the government didn't push masks. It's not a link to Fauci (or the government) saying that masks don't help.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

You stated that the government said That masks don't help. I was asking for a link to back up that specific claim. The interview posted at thestreet.com does not support that specific claim. (In fact, Fauci references unspecified "people" in the health community who said "you don't really need to wear a mask" -- but, again, "you don't really need to wear a mask" is not the same thing as "masks don't help".)
CDC said masks didn't help. I was doing a little prep earlier than most and laughed off people buying masks, mostly because of the CDC. Pretty sure the WHO was on board with this too in some fashion because my Taiwanese friend was complaining about something regarding the WHO and it being airborne, all the while he was pointing out to me masks help. I'm positive about the CDC, and more iffy about my WHO claim here.

Here's an article from March 31st discussing the CDC reversing guidelines. I don't agree with some of their wording about what stance the CDC was walking back, but I didn't want to go bothering through google on my own time to find anything earlier.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/31/824560471/should-we-all-be-wearing-masks-in-public-health-experts-revisit-the-question

I still think Fauci has been excellent overall - I think the man saved lives.
In his defense, he's been swimming against the current for much of this response.

Ugh AZ smashes previous record with 2392 new cases. Beginning of the month it was 500-750 cases per day. Today was about 23% positive.

Their website appears to have crashed but it looks like overall acute beds and ICU usage are slightly down but usage for COVID cases are at highs. Seems like they are making more space.
Just spoke to one of our managers out there, said he got a call for refrigerated trailers today  :(

That's a link to Fauci explaining why the government didn't push masks. It's not a link to Fauci (or the government) saying that masks don't help.

You stated that the government said That masks don't help. I was asking for a link to back up that specific claim. The interview posted at thestreet.com does not support that specific claim. (In fact, Fauci references unspecified "people" in the health community who said "you don't really need to wear a mask" -- but, again, "you don't really need to wear a mask" is not the same thing as "masks don't help".)
CDC said masks didn't help.
No. The CDC said that masks were only needed if you are sick or caring for someone who is sick. That's not the same thing as saying that masks "didn't help".

(In fact, it implies exactly the opposite. If the CDC really believed that masks didn't help, then it would not have included the suggestion to wear masks if you are sick.)

Except for two words that alot of people seem to not understand.... exponential growth.

Also, given your logic, 9-11 killed .04% of the residents of NYC (roughly). So no big deal right? Why did they even televise it? Darn sensationalist media.
I also used total cases ignoring recoveries.  1,188 total deaths in AZ.  Roughly .16% of the population there.  Yes, I think the sensationalist media could change their narrative some. 

But, I keep reading how things are just going to EXPLODE!!!!!1111!!!  Been reading it in here for months.  I wish everyone wore masks and distanced when they went out too.  But, not that many people are actually sick so they're going out and living their lives.

No. The CDC said that masks were only needed if you are sick or caring for someone who is sick. That's not the same thing as saying that masks "didn't help".

(In fact, it implies exactly the opposite. If the CDC really believed that masks didn't help, then it would not have included the suggestion to wear masks if you are sick.)
Ugh, just stop. The discussion is about people wearing masks in the general population, right? There's no need to pick nits over PPE in hospital settings.

CDC does not currently recommend the use of face masks for the general public.  This virus is not spreading in the community.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0212-cdc-telebriefing-transcript.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Ugh, just stop. The discussion is about people wearing masks in the general population, right? There's no need to pick nits over PPE in hospital settings.
Again, that's not the same as saying that masks don't help. In fact, that transcript has an even stronger endorsement for mask usage than what they officially published in their guidelines at the time.

If you want to argue that the CDC should have done more to promote mask usage, I agree with you. Just don't claim that the government said "masks don't help", because A) they never said that, and B) their own guidelines contradict that claim.

In his defense, he's been swimming against the current for much of this response.

Just spoke to one of our managers out there, said he got a call for refrigerated trailers today  :(
I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, just hope it doesn’t start hitting close to home.

You stated that the government said That masks don't help. I was asking for a link to back up that specific claim. 
No thanks.  This topic was discussed extensively in this thread, and I'm not interested in getting gaslit on the issue.

You stated that the government said That masks don't help. I was asking for a link to back up that specific claim. 
No thanks.  This topic was discussed extensively in this thread, and I'm not interested in getting gaslit on the issue.
:shrug:

Feels like you're reading things into Fauci's quote that aren't there, but whatever.

I also used total cases ignoring recoveries.  1,188 total deaths in AZ.  Roughly .16% of the population there.  Yes, I think the sensationalist media could change their narrative some. 

But, I keep reading how things are just going to EXPLODE!!!!!1111!!!  Been reading it in here for months.  I wish everyone wore masks and distanced when they went out too.  But, not that many people are actually sick so they're going out and living their lives.
And being selfish in doing so. Wear a mask.

After flattening and finally going down, hospitalizations have increased over the past few days at Miami's 2,000 bed public health system. Now up to 137 Covid-19 positive in-patients. It was flat around 100 patients for about a week; the increase started 3 days ago: 114, 120, 129, 137.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/JacksonHealth/status/1272624649852145665
Up to 142 Covid-19 positive inpatients today in Jackson Health System. That's a 40% increase in 5 days. The peak was in the 150-160 range over the last week of April and first 2 weeks in May. 

The hospital ICU capacity in the Miami area was more than  adequate in the first wave. Hopefully, this second wave will stop growing soon. But a 9% positive rate is worrisome.

At the current rate, it will take only a few more days for the positives to surpass Israel as the 100th most populous country in the world.

I stopped with the daily updates as a number of posters were dismissing the 'new cases' stats.  But today's numbers again are rather alarming at Covid worldometers.  Over 142,000 new cases, with 20 countries reporting over 1,000 new cases. Deaths today spiked up to 6,600 (highest total in five weeks).  Of note are Brazil leading with 37,000 new cases and India with over 2,000 deaths (as stated above).

I stopped with the daily updates as a number of posters were dismissing the 'new cases' stats.  But today's numbers again are rather alarming at Covid worldometers.  Over 142,000 new cases, with 20 countries reporting over 1,000 new cases. Deaths today spiked up to 6,600 (highest total in five weeks).  Of note are Brazil leading with 37,000 new cases and India with over 2,000 deaths (as stated above).
It is going to just keep growing.  It will ravage Africa next and already picking up steam here in many places that dodged the first bullet.  Depressing numbers all around.

It is going to just keep growing.  It will ravage Africa next and already picking up steam here in many places that dodged the first bullet.  Depressing numbers all around.
And the Middle East is getting hit as well. Iran, Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Bangladesh also ramping, that's going to be ugly.

Again, that's not the same as saying that masks don't help. In fact, that transcript has an even stronger endorsement for mask usage than what they officially published in their guidelines at the time.

If you want to argue that the CDC should have done more to promote mask usage, I agree with you. Just don't claim that the government said "masks don't help", because A) they never said that, and B) their own guidelines contradict that claim.
https://twitter.com/surgeon_general/status/1233725785283932160?lang=en

U.S. Surgeon General

@Surgeon_General

Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS! They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus,

According to Worldometer, some states are doing much better than others when it comes to deaths vs positives.  Here are the top 10 worst & best states:

1 - Connecticut - 9.28%                        50 - Utah - 0.97%
2 - Michigan - 9.11%                             49 - South Dakota - 1.29%
3 - New York - 7.64%                            48 - Nebraska - 1.36%
4 - Pennsylvania - 7.55%                     47 - Arkansas - 1.43%
5 - New Jersey - 7.54%                        46 - Tennessee - 1.55%
6 - Massachusetts - 7.24%                 45 - Wyoming - 1.65%
7 - Louisiana - 6.39%                           44 - Alaska - 1.78%
8 - Ohio - 6.19%                                    43 - Texas - 2.15%
9 - New Hampshire - 6.08%                42 - Kansas - 2.15%
10 - Indiana - 6.00%                             41 - Hawaii - 2.30%

Is the virus more deadly on the east coast versus the rest of the US?
Are some states just doing a bad job protecting their elderly?
Are east coasters out of shape compared to the rest?
Are the higher percentage states testing a larger portion of their elderly/at risk?

I just find it hard to believe you are 10 times more likely to die if infected in CT as you are in UT.  The states are pretty similar in amount tested (#'s 9 & 14 overall), so what gives?

Different strains or different criteria for testing/reporting would be my guesses.

The protecting the elderly is an interesting possibility. Nursing homes in my Texas town are locked down tight. Some to the point double doors are used like airlocks. You put what you're bringing to a relative between the double doors and the staff won't retrieve it until you're back out on your side of the doors.

According to Worldometer, some states are doing much better than others when it comes to deaths vs positives.  Here are the top 10 worst & best states:

1 - Connecticut - 9.28%                        50 - Utah - 0.97%
2 - Michigan - 9.11%                             49 - South Dakota - 1.29%
3 - New York - 7.64%                            48 - Nebraska - 1.36%
4 - Pennsylvania - 7.55%                     47 - Arkansas - 1.43%
5 - New Jersey - 7.54%                        46 - Tennessee - 1.55%
6 - Massachusetts - 7.24%                 45 - Wyoming - 1.65%
7 - Louisiana - 6.39%                           44 - Alaska - 1.78%
8 - Ohio - 6.19%                                    43 - Texas - 2.15%
9 - New Hampshire - 6.08%                42 - Kansas - 2.15%
10 - Indiana - 6.00%                             41 - Hawaii - 2.30%

Is the virus more deadly on the east coast versus the rest of the US?
Are some states just doing a bad job protecting their elderly?
Are east coasters out of shape compared to the rest?
Are the higher percentage states testing a larger portion of their elderly/at risk?

I just find it hard to believe you are 10 times more likely to die if infected in CT as you are in UT.  The states are pretty similar in amount tested (#'s 9 & 14 overall), so what gives?

According to this site

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/COVID-19OutbreaksinLong-termCareFacilities.aspx

Texas has

802 nursing home covid deaths

124 assisted living covid deaths 

Perhaps differences in the way deaths are reported are responsible? 

Redwes25 said:
This is bad news. Having lived through NYC this thing goes from concerning to full fledge ####-show very quickly. Stay safe my friend. 
Haven’t visited this thread in weeks. Find it surreal we’re talking about masks. There’s a debate?

:lmao:

According to this site

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/COVID-19OutbreaksinLong-termCareFacilities.aspx

Texas has

802 nursing home covid deaths

124 assisted living covid deaths 

Perhaps differences in the way deaths are reported are responsible? 
Based on current Worldometer numbers, Texas has a total of 2062 deaths.  That would put 45% of the Texas deaths in nursing homes & assisted living facilities.  I just heard on my local news last night that 63% of Connecticut's deaths are from nursing homes.  Now, they didn't say nursing homes plus assisted and/or long term care facilities - they specifically said nursing homes. 

If you were trying to grade each state on it's response to COVID, what categories would you use, and which ones would hold the most weight?

Tampa Bay Area health officials warning of re-closures.

Deaths continue to trend down, in line with the numbers on June 4. Hospital bed capacity also stays at a safe level, they said. On June 4, the county was seeing a downward trend of hospitalizations. 

During Monday’s meeting, Holt and Wagner said hospital capacity has stayed between 75 to 78 percent. The decrease in deaths may be partially because case numbers slant younger. Over the last 14 days, 50 percent of cases were between the 0 to 34 age group, with a majority in the 25 to 34 group, specifically. Holt also gave credit to hospital staff learning how to treat the illness as another factor in deaths dropping.

Tampa Bay Area health officials warning of re-closures.

Deaths continue to trend down, in line with the numbers on June 4. Hospital bed capacity also stays at a safe level, they said. On June 4, the county was seeing a downward trend of hospitalizations. 

During Monday’s meeting, Holt and Wagner said hospital capacity has stayed between 75 to 78 percent. The decrease in deaths may be partially because case numbers slant younger. Over the last 14 days, 50 percent of cases were between the 0 to 34 age group, with a majority in the 25 to 34 group, specifically. Holt also gave credit to hospital staff learning how to treat the illness as another factor in deaths dropping.
This has been something that's always bothered me about the "it doesn't affect children all that much" narrative.  I don't know how we'd even know that with any sort of confidence given the fact we've basically had our children on lockdown since March.  It's probably true that once they get it, it will impact them similar to the flu and I'm not really concerned about my kids from a mortality perspective.  The larger concern is opening up this avenue of spread.

Users who are viewing this thread