What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (10 Viewers)

You need to look outside your NYC bubble. There are huge swaths of this country that are not wearing masks at all. They view it as an infringement on their rights. If the gov't recommended it in March, color me skeptical that they would follow 
Many of those large swaths of the country’s outside of NYC stayed home and wore masks as suggested for a couple of months and C19 never really arrived.   Eventually, the concern and fear fades away and the isolation and masks don’t feel necessary.    In my rural area, things have returned close to the old normal.   Mask wearing is rare.   Businesses are open.   Gatherings are happening.  At this point, it doesn’t matter who makes what mask recommendations.  Folks aren’t listening.   

You need to look outside your NYC bubble. There are huge swaths of this country that are not wearing masks at all. They view it as an infringement on their rights. If the gov't recommended it in March, color me skeptical that they would follow 
I disagree wholeheartedly. Not sure what living in NYC has to do with that. 

I disagree wholeheartedly. Not sure what living in NYC has to do with that
It has everything to do with it. The rest of the country has looked at this virus far diffrently than NYC. From not having a truly major outbreak, to not having testing available for everyone, to more often than not people not wearing masks.

Your judgment is clouded by what you see and experience as a NYC resident

The regional impact of the virus is going to manifest in many ways. Places with low infection rates, low hospitalizations and little to no fatalities won't need to take the mitigation factors as seriously as a place like NYC. It's common sense. It's something to keep in mind when the images come out of mask wearing or lack thereof. When it comes to COVID-19, the U.S. isn't a region. In fact, many states have several regions within the state, including NY. Clearly a one-size fits all approach isn't right for a situation like that.

In a region, if hospitalizations and fatalities are on the rise, it's a signal to re-double social distancing efforts. Staying at home, washing hands, staying at least 6 feet apart from people, and very importantly, wearing a mask in public. No need to compare your region to NYC. Just compare your region to your region and act accordingly. People doing the right thing with mitigation is what reduces transmission of the virus.

The messaging on masks was bungled horribly from the start. Obviously at first they were trying to prevent a run on PPE. But it set us all back and we're still trying to recover, as mask wearing is now all of a sudden political. The virus doesn't do politics. Really not smart to argue it from that perspective.

It has everything to do with it. The rest of the country has looked at this virus far diffrently than NYC. From not having a truly major outbreak, to not having testing available for everyone, to more often than not people not wearing masks.

Your judgment is clouded by what you see and experience as a NYC resident
People are skeptical because of the constant flip flopping of advice. Most people I know thinks masks are BS because of the flip flopping. They are wearing masks BECAUSE THEY ARE REQUIRED TO BY OUR DICTATOR GOVERNOR. Its not a mentality, it's a requirement. I live in Staten Island which shares a lot of the views of those other states you mention and differs than the other 4 boroughs. 

So again I disagree wholeheartedly. 

Many of those large swaths of the country’s outside of NYC stayed home and wore masks as suggested for a couple of months and C19 never really arrived.   Eventually, the concern and fear fades away and the isolation and masks don’t feel necessary.    In my rural area, things have returned close to the old normal.   Mask wearing is rare.   Businesses are open.   Gatherings are happening.  At this point, it doesn’t matter who makes what mask recommendations.  Folks aren’t listening.   
This describes my community too.  I just got back from my first trip to Wal Mart in forever.  I was one of like 10% of the people who wore masks.  Most people just aren't trying any more.

People are skeptical because of the constant flip flopping of advice. Most people I know thinks masks are BS because of the flip flopping. They are wearing masks BECAUSE THEY ARE REQUIRED TO BY OUR DICTATOR GOVERNOR. Its not a mentality, it's a requirement. I live in Staten Island which shares a lot of the views of those other states you mention and differs than the other 4 boroughs. 

Huh?

Masks are not required in just about everywhere in the country. And what happens? People do not wear them. And it appears that you would also not wear them if not required to. 

So how exactly is this a rebuttal to my opinion that even if Fauci had initially stated everyone should wear masks - that people would in fact wear masks?

Great news from England.  There’s a new study that shows that a cheap steroid reduces the death rate of those on ventilators by up to a 3rd. 

https://t.co/9mOpLMVVKI
I’d like to see the peer-reviewed results published, but it looks promising in the press release. Interesting because a Lancet commentary early on suggested steroids had more potential for harm than good, despite proven benefit in severe pneumonia from other causes.

Also interesting that the three other drugs they tested - azithromycin, lopinavir/ritonavir and everybody’s favorite, hydroxychloroquine, aren't mentioned as beneficial.

ETA Also no commentary on convalescent plasma or toculizumab.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is where logic is helpful.  It seems to me if they were genuinely skeptical would be over the efficacy of the masks, not because of mixed messages.  If they were genuinely skeptical, logic would say "it's better than nothing".  I hear this reasoning frequently, but I am not really trusting of it.  To me it seems that if they didn't know what to do, they'd err on the side of caution and put a barrier between their face and the air.  I could be wrong, but my opinion is it seems more likely they are "skeptical" because they don't want to wear the mask and are looking for any excuse not to wear it.  That falls much more in line with human nature than being scared of the government.

Says you, in so many words. When you type out "THEY ARE REQUIRED TO BY OUR DICTATOR GOVERNOR.", it doesn't lead me to belive that you would be wearing one were they not required.

Sorry if I am reading too much into that comment. 
I'm saying the majority of Staten Islanders that I know (including my wife) would not wear masks if they weren't required to do so because they are skeptical they do anything due to the mixed messages from the beginning. I know this from the conversations I've had with them (including my wife). I am not skeptical of their benefits especially indoors so have no problem wearing one. Therefore, I disagree wholeheartedly with your statement. Try and follow along here and stop being so judgmental. 

Read today that 4,817 of 7,647 Covid deaths (63%) in MA were residents of LTC facilities. Anyone know how this compares to other states/US as a whole?

While I believe there was a little intentional misinformation to preserve N-95s for HCW, a lot of the mixed messaging with masks revolves around imperfect science regarding their use in general, compounded by uncertainty with the nature of coronavirus spread. I still don’t think we have a handle on what percentage of Covid-19 is droplet vs. aerosol transmission, for example.

Read today that 4,817 of 7,647 Covid deaths (63%) in MA were residents of LTC facilities. Anyone know how this compares to other states/US as a whole?
Don’t know the exact numbers off hand, but LTC residents are a big chunk of Covid deaths just about everywhere.

Why do you ask?

I disagree wholeheartedly. Not sure what living in NYC has to do with that. 
I’m in North Carolina at my parents’ beach house for a one week vacation. I’d say mask wearing in stores has been about 10%. At a rest stop in Virginia mask use was about 80%. At a rest stop in NC it was 20% max.

Coronavirus: Florida sets another record and passes 80,000 cases of COVID-19 Single-day high of 2,783 new cases reported; 21 new deaths in Miami-Dade

Is there realtime info about these new cases and deaths? Ages, occupation, living arrangements, etc. Where are the contact tracers? DeSantis has attributed the increase to more testing and workers harvesting watermelons, which doesn't tell the whole story.
Yes, almost every state posts this data Monday through Friday. On Worldometer, scroll to the right and the links under source will show you where they get that data. I don't think they get as granular as occupation though. 

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/action/report_archive/state/state_reports_latest.pdf

Florida just posted their highest daily case count, ever, and with a 9.82% positive rate which is really bad. 

I’m in North Carolina at my parents’ beach house for a one week vacation. I’d say mask wearing in stores has been about 10%. At a rest stop in Virginia mask use was about 80%. At a rest stop in NC it was 20% max.
Have you noticed if older people are more likely to wear masks?

Coronavirus: Florida sets another record and passes 80,000 cases of COVID-19 Single-day high of 2,783 new cases reported; 21 new deaths in Miami-Dade

Is there realtime info about these new cases and deaths? Ages, occupation, living arrangements, etc. Where are the contact tracers? DeSantis has attributed the increase to more testing and workers harvesting watermelons, which doesn't tell the whole story.
He also deflects away when people ask him about the positivity rate going up.....he'd been generally acceptable up until the firing of the crazy woman reporting on the numbers....he's been on the steady decline ever since.  Now we're going to see what he's really made of....I am pretty confident he'll punt to local groups to "do the right thing for them".

Ugh AZ smashes previous record with 2392 new cases. Beginning of the month it was 500-750 cases per day. Today was about 23% positive.

Their website appears to have crashed but it looks like overall acute beds and ICU usage are slightly down but usage for COVID cases are at highs. Seems like they are making more space.

Ugh AZ smashes previous record with 2392 new cases. Beginning of the month it was 500-750 cases per day. Today was about 23% positive.

Their website appears to have crashed but it looks like overall acute beds and ICU usage are slightly down but usage for COVID cases are at highs. Seems like they are making more space.
No one here is wearing masks, and the bars/restaurants are not doing much social distancing - some are, but it seems like they are either all in or all out.

My wife and I went to the restaurant down the street the other night, and the bar was packed, there was a band playing, and people were everywhere eating and drinking. I would have had no idea anything different was going on in the outside world if hadn't known any better.

It's no surprise numbers are going up.

Massages can start on the 19th here. Mandatory face coverings the whole time plus a bunch of other rules. I get it - but no thanks. hard to breathe face down anyway let alone suffocating with a mask. I used to go every 2 weeks. Not traveling so body is not getting messed up as much so I’ll just wait for a vaccine I guess

It’s not that bad.  Had one a few weeks ago and did just fine and I hate breathing through masks. It had been just over 3 months since my last one (I’m an every 6-8 weeker) and it felts amazing. 
Yeah I saw that.  I have a family membership (sharing w/ my mom) and obviously have not been going the past few months so we have a ton in the queue.  I don't know if I would enjoy it as much with a mask on.  Since we have so many saved up I'm inclined to just go give it a shot but I'm .... like with everything COVID-related... am on the fence.  

Have you noticed if older people are more likely to wear masks?
They definitely seem to be wearing them at a higher rate. Which is smart by them, but if the point of the mask is just as much to prevent transmission from someone that is unknowingly infected as it is to prevent someone from inhaling the virus, then it should be up to everyone to wear them to protect those older folks. 

This is where logic is helpful.  It seems to me if they were genuinely skeptical would be over the efficacy of the masks, not because of mixed messages.  If they were genuinely skeptical, logic would say "it's better than nothing".  I hear this reasoning frequently, but I am not really trusting of it.  To me it seems that if they didn't know what to do, they'd err on the side of caution and put a barrier between their face and the air.  I could be wrong, but my opinion is it seems more likely they are "skeptical" because they don't want to wear the mask and are looking for any excuse not to wear it.  That falls much more in line with human nature than being scared of the government.
Well, the mixed messages in the beginning included people saying masks were worse than nothing due to the false sense of security they provided.  That said, your comment has the kernel of truth that if people don't know what to believe, the deciding factor will likely be what they wanted to do in the first place. 

I think you can make a comparison to eating eggs - in the 80's people were told cholesterol in eggs was quite bad for you, and I think a lot of people listened.  Then, as studies went back and forth, "they're good no they're bad", etc.  people just threw their hands up and defaulted to whatever they wanted to do in the first place.  Same with masks, if you for whatever reason just don't want to wear one, the conflicting messages have made that easy to rationalize.

Fauci was telling people to practice social distancing and be vigilant about handwashing from the beginning. The country collectively ignored him.
I've been washing my hands regularly since February and socially distancing since March.  I definitely would have been wearing a mask if I had not been lied to by my government about it.

HEADLINE:  Daily Coronavirus Cases Up 300%!

HEADLINE:  .5% of AZ Population Has Coronavirus

One is scary.  One is no big deal.  :shrug:

Andy Slavitt, the former head of CMS (Medicare & Medicaid Services), had advice for Arizona:

The SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19, looks for places where it's never been before, and that there are infections and an increase in cases is not something any state leader should be embarrassed about, said Andy Slavitt, former administrator for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services under President Barack Obama.

Slavitt, who was part of Gallego's news briefing, said leaders around the world have shown that if the correct public health actions are taken, opening up the economy will follow quickly. Look at Greece, New Zealand and the Czech Republic as examples, he said.

"They bit the bullet, made tough decisions and their economies are opening up more quickly," he said. "What we can control is the strategy in how we approach the opening of things."

Slavitt plans to send Ducey a set of recommendations based on best practices for COVID-19, including effective public messaging and using data "openly and honestly" to look at what's going on, he said.

"There's no reason to pretty it up in a PowerPoint, there's no reason to make it look good. It is what it is," Slavitt said. "People have a tolerance for bad news if it's delivered straight."

Then Slavitt tweeted:

When I wrote that Arizona was a concern with high COVID-19 case growth, the governor called me ASAP to discuss the risk to his state.
It was @GovNedLamont of Connecticut who wanted to be sure I didn’t see anything in CT that was going on in AZ.

I know Martin County(where I live) is considering reimplementing masks for restaurant and retail workers. Also, the hospital where I'm working is making room for more Covid patients.

No one here is wearing masks, and the bars/restaurants are not doing much social distancing - some are, but it seems like they are either all in or all out.

My wife and I went to the restaurant down the street the other night, and the bar was packed, there was a band playing, and people were everywhere eating and drinking. I would have had no idea anything different was going on in the outside world if hadn't known any better.

I’ve got a few friends in the restaurant/brewery industry and they were getting backlash for taking responsible steps. It’s been tough for them to keep it up knowing that other places weren’t doing the same and the rest of the year might be rocky. The few times I’ve sat down and had a beer, I purposely picked places with outdoor seating that I thought wouldn’t be busy, not my favorite places.

This is bad news. Having lived through NYC this thing goes from concerning to full fledge ####-show very quickly. Stay safe my friend. 

Honestly my tinfoil hat theory is that the government knew masks helped all along but didn't want people hoarding them like they did toilet paper, especially keeping them away from health care workers.

I don't think it's that big of a leap when the message originally was simultaneiously "masks don't help, don't bother!" and also "we need to make sure our health care providers have enough masks!".

I was trying to politely ask for a link, but apparently I was too subtle. What is your source for the government stating that masks don't help?
https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/783421-official-covid-19-coronavirus-thread/?do=findComment&comment=22792589
That's a link to Fauci explaining why the government didn't push masks. It's not a link to Fauci (or the government) saying that masks don't help.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

You stated that the government said That masks don't help. I was asking for a link to back up that specific claim. The interview posted at thestreet.com does not support that specific claim. (In fact, Fauci references unspecified "people" in the health community who said "you don't really need to wear a mask" -- but, again, "you don't really need to wear a mask" is not the same thing as "masks don't help".)

HEADLINE:  Daily Coronavirus Cases Up 300%!

HEADLINE:  .5% of AZ Population Has Coronavirus

One is scary.  One is no big deal.  :shrug:
Except for two words that alot of people seem to not understand.... exponential growth.

Also, given your logic, 9-11 killed .04% of the residents of NYC (roughly). So no big deal right? Why did they even televise it? Darn sensationalist media.

Users who are viewing this thread