What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (24 Viewers)

Listing to the "start here" podcast, just heard about soap operas using "stunt doubles" for intimate scenes. 

The options for stunt doubles are the actor's spouse (I assume they'd allow live in GF/BF) or a blow up doll. 

Listing to the "start here" podcast, just heard about soap operas using "stunt doubles" for intimate scenes. 

The options for stunt doubles are the actor's spouse (I assume they'd allow live in GF/BF) or a blow up doll. 
This is really good..pandemic info? 

My boss's grandmother just died of Covid. With the loosening of restrictions, they were able to have 50 person memorial service. She tells me that she and her immediate family (dad and 2 siblings) were the only people who wore masks. 

At a funeral service, for someone who died of coronavirus, nearly nobody cares enough to protect others from a possible spread. It's ####### bonkers how selfish and ignorant some people are
Mind bottling. I am weeping for humanity now. 

Wait......there are still soap operas?

Went and gave blood today. The red cross and others are doing antibody testing for free for any donors. Gave blood, got a free test, and a $10 gift card. I had one of those "mysterious respiratory" flues in early January that everyone including my wife keep telling me "You had COVID". I'm fairly certain it was not, but figured, why not?

Went and gave blood today. The red cross and others are doing antibody testing for free for any donors. Gave blood, got a free test, and a $10 gift card. I had one of those "mysterious respiratory" flues in early January that everyone including my wife keep telling me "You had COVID". I'm fairly certain it was not, but figured, why not?
I can't give blood for another month. Wish they offered that antibody test when I gave 

I can't give blood for another month. Wish they offered that antibody test when I gave 
It's not perfect. Even if it comes back positive you can't really let your guard down too much. Other coronaviruses can trigger a false positive and we just don't know how long the antibodies last and everything. I took it because I like to say "See! I was RIGHT" too often.  :D

It's not perfect. Even if it comes back positive you can't really let your guard down too much. Other coronaviruses can trigger a false positive and we just don't know how long the antibodies last and everything. I took it because I like to say "See! I was RIGHT" too often.  :D
Thanks. I'll be trying to do this next week

The San Antonio metro area is among five "hot spots" where COVID-19 cases have grown the quickest in the last seven days, according to CNBC.

The business news outlet said the San Antonio-New Braunfels metro area ranks No. 4 for the fastest doubling in cases. CNBC sourced Evercore ISI for its research.

The metro area has a doubling time of 16 days, according to the information. San Antonio is not the only Texas city in the ranking — Austin, Houston and Dallas are all in the top 10 for fastest growth at No. 5, 8 and 10, respectively.

Way to go Governor Abbott, four of the top ten spots! TX kicking ###! ... Idiot.

The San Antonio metro area is among five "hot spots" where COVID-19 cases have grown the quickest in the last seven days, according to CNBC.

The business news outlet said the San Antonio-New Braunfels metro area ranks No. 4 for the fastest doubling in cases. CNBC sourced Evercore ISI for its research.

The metro area has a doubling time of 16 days, according to the information. San Antonio is not the only Texas city in the ranking — Austin, Houston and Dallas are all in the top 10 for fastest growth at No. 5, 8 and 10, respectively.

Way to go Governor Abbott, four of the top ten spots! TX kicking ###! ... Idiot.
Texas was more or less spared any first wave.  Still 38th in per capita deaths and over weighted towards LTC deaths with two areas in deep east and deep West Texas hit very hard early on.  

Texas cancelled a lot of school quickly and had a robust shutdown.  For a time.  

With all these college football teams having “student”-athletes testing postive, I wonder if any of the colleges set to open are reconsidering.  It certainly appears these teams are points of spread and you’d have to think that would apply to dorms, etc.

culdeus said:
Texas was more or less spared any first wave.  Still 38th in per capita deaths and over weighted towards LTC deaths with two areas in deep east and deep West Texas hit very hard early on.  

The numbers for Texas started so good, they only had one way to go...

Texas is 2nd in overall population, but only 15th in COVID deaths
Texas's closest "competition" for cases is Massachusetts (107K & 106K respectively), but Texas has 23M more residents
Texas is doing a bad job testing, ranking in the bottom 10, and they are also near the top (the bad side) of current positivity

culdeus said:

Correct. We were spared a first wave because we were doing the right things. Closed down what needed to be closed down. Mandatory masks. The whole nine yards. Then certain unnamed political figures decided to showcase not wearing a mask, even choosing to make fun of those that did. Next thing you know, everything was opening up and the power to require masks was taken away. Who could have ever seen this leading to a spike? No one... other than anyone with a functioning brain.

the moops said:
My boss's grandmother just died of Covid. With the loosening of restrictions, they were able to have 50 person memorial service. She tells me that she and her immediate family (dad and 2 siblings) were the only people who wore masks. 

At a funeral service, for someone who died of coronavirus, nearly nobody cares enough to protect others from a possible spread. It's ####### bonkers how selfish and ignorant some people are
If that was my grandmother I would have gone off on every single person not wearing a mask and told them to come back on their own.

The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles has no time frame to reopen.  That's all fine and dandy, but I bought a car from a private party right before they shut their doors on 18 Mar.  It's been 3 months, and I am still driving around on the previous owners plates, which he surely cancelled the day of the sale.  I did insure the vehicle, and have all the paperwork in the glove box.  I want to register the car, but it's not something that can be done online.  When I called, they said my only 2 options were to not drive the car, or to mail in all original documents and hope they didn't get lost.  For now, I continue to drive, but I obey all the rules (other than driving on someone else's expired plates, haha).  If I do get pulled over, I hope the officer is in a good mood.

Sammy3469 said:
With all these college football teams having “student”-athletes testing postive, I wonder if any of the colleges set to open are reconsidering.  It certainly appears these teams are points of spread and you’d have to think that would apply to dorms, etc.
Season will be cancelled IMO

The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles has no time frame to reopen.  That's all fine and dandy, but I bought a car from a private party right before they shut their doors on 18 Mar.  It's been 3 months, and I am still driving around on the previous owners plates, which he surely cancelled the day of the sale.  I did insure the vehicle, and have all the paperwork in the glove box.  I want to register the car, but it's not something that can be done online.  When I called, they said my only 2 options were to not drive the car, or to mail in all original documents and hope they didn't get lost.  For now, I continue to drive, but I obey all the rules (other than driving on someone else's expired plates, haha).  If I do get pulled over, I hope the officer is in a good mood.
In Mass the RMV is re-opening. Everything was halted and all deadlines extended. Youngest daughter is now old enough to get her permit, but was needed to wait for RMV to clear through the backlog of kids who turned 16 earlier in the year but still in the RMV shutdown. The RMV is being smart, you can take the permit test online and avoid going in as much as possible. Still need to go for the picture and vision test, but it is by appointment now. Daughter needed to be patient for a couple of weeks as they cleared out the backlog. She got her appointment today, so is all giddy now.

One would think an issue like this should be a non-factor for enforcement until the DMV opens since that’s basically a paperwork situation, but it could be dicey if your plates get run.

CT is doing well, they should get a timeframe and appointments going online even if it is 4 weeks from now. Let people print their appointment record to show if they do get pulled over. 

Over 30k cases two days in row. We are back to April situation and feel like all we have did has gone to waste and no one learned from watching NYC. 

Good thing you're not black!

NY had 800 people dying per day on an upward trajectory that no one knew where it would stop. Refrigerated tractor trailers were parked at hospitals to hold the deceased, sirens were blaring non-stop for 2 weeks, healthcare workers were starting to become taxed, the infection rate was 20%, and there was no end in sight until finally cases dropped over a 9 week period to where people weren’t having deaths occur all around them.

That was March and April. It’s only June. That’s what the rest of the country should have learned from NY. Not just that though. And they should have learned to do what they did. I won’t regurgitate all the steps they took here, but they ended up doing a good job. The infection rate is around 1% and 30 people or fewer are dying per day in a state of 19 million.

The main societal points are to get the hospitals and deaths low, increase the testing to say 50,000 per day, and get that infection rate down. Then contact trace. 

Individuals should wear a mask, stay 6-8 feet apart, wash hands every 30 minutes, don’t talk too long to others in person (I’ll hit you up later) or touch common surfaces too much. Not too hard. 

That’s what they should have all learned. They didn’t though: no full shut down, no mask, open up too quickly, open up bars too early, not enough testing, etc.

Sammy3469 said:
Part of the plan is the answer right now.

Yeah I was confused.  I thought in general people felt the NYC stuff was done poorly.  I mean unless I'm seeing bad stats they still have more daily deaths than Texas .  

Though I don't know exactly what they could have done differently.  Most everything was closed by 3/14.  Hell I had a trip there 3/17 and by 3/12 or so everything was cancelled.  

I didn’t expect these numbers to spiral so quickly. You can look at the daily deaths and see  how well things were going.  Those numbers are still dropping just like cases were a week ago when we were trending well below 20k/day

But in one week it’s literally exploded.  We should see hospitalizations spike next week, and the deaths will come the week after.  So sad, and so avoidable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t expect these numbers to spiral so quickly. You can look at the daily deaths and see  how well things were going.  Those numbers are still dropping just like cases were a week ago when we were trending well below 20k/day

But in one week it’s literally exploded.  We should see hospitalizations spike next week, and the deaths will come the week after.  So sad, and so avoidable.
Deaths have started to get uncoupled with cases.  I get sense treatments as crude as they are are working and LTC facilities are doing good work.  

I track Houston hospitals closely and they are doing ok for now. Maybe this is a squeeze event that doesn't crush us. 

Deaths have started to get uncoupled with cases.  I get sense treatments as crude as they are are working and LTC facilities are doing good work.  

I track Houston hospitals closely and they are doing ok for now. Maybe this is a squeeze event that doesn't crush us. 
The only places in my part of Texas taking this virus seriously. Maybe a small lesson has been learned. 

Looks like this lesson is one a lot of people apparently want to learn the hard way. It's so simple to isolate for a few weeks, wash hands, and avoid people, especially those showing symptoms, but nope, 3 weeks was apparently enough.

Is this shtick? I am asking a legit question. 
Halfway, there are healthy people getting permanent damage from this virus.

If you get a covid infection most likely the antibodies you develop will protect you from a future infection. How long and how effectively your antibodies will protect you is not known right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halfway, there are healthy people getting permanent damage from this virus.

If you get a covid infection most likely the antibodies you develop will protect you from a future infection. How long and how effectively your antibodies will protect you is not known right now.
So it's unclear if once you have it you can't get it again? Which in turn decides wether you can pass it on?

We really haven't figured that out yet?

Users who are viewing this thread