Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

6 hours ago, culdeus said:
  • Kids school
    • Two PE teachers attended a conference, came back sick and were down pretty hard for 2 weeks but required no hospital stay.  Mid 40s age.
    • One parent that was in NYC during the major outbreak brought it back, was sick on the plane, and isolated in a hotel for a couple weeks.
    • Another parent in a similar circumstance, never got any further details on how it went, survived.  
  • Work
    • Two people in my office eventually tested positive in early April.  Seems like they made it.
  • Elsewhere
    • Friend works for a Billionare non-profit foundation, the heiress died but they called it cancer instead of covid to keep it out of the news
    • Similar situation with my mother's best friend, tested positive and came home to isolate but died in sleep of a stroke, wanted to keep out of the news so called it a stroke.

So this would be consistent more or less with the news IFR/CFR in that people in their 40s ish can get sick, not die, but 70s+ it's a lot easier to get wiped out.

A couple of those are also illustrative of the likelihood of covid deaths being under-reported.

So, some good news...

Antibody Tests Point To Lower Death Rate For The Coronavirus Than First Thought

The source is NPR and the data comes from Johns Hopkins but I'll post this and watch as people do what they will with it.

Mounting evidence suggests the coronavirus is more common and less deadly than it first appeared.

The evidence comes from tests that detect antibodies to the coronavirus in a person's blood rather than the virus itself.

The tests are finding large numbers of people in the U.S. who were infected but never became seriously ill. And when these mild infections are included in coronavirus statistics, the virus appears less dangerous.

"The current best estimates for the infection fatality risk are between 0.5% and 1%," says Caitlin Rivers, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.

And the revised estimates support an early prediction by Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a leading member of the White House coronavirus task force. In an editorial published in late March in The New England Journal of Medicine, Fauci and colleagues wrote that the case fatality rate for COVID-19 "may be considerably less than 1%."

Lots more info and data contained within so worth a read in it's entirety.

Note: this is not the Stanford Study even though it's coming back with the same range of numbers. Maybe good ol' Johnny Hopkins will be accepted by the timid.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Note: this is not the Stanford Study even though it's coming back with the same range of numbers. Maybe good ol' Johnny Hopkins will be accepted by the timid.

It's not any one source or any one person establishes truth -- it's the progressive, inch-by-inch achievement of consensus.

2 minutes ago, Doug B said:

It's not any one source or any one person establishes truth -- it's the progressive, inch-by-inch achievement of consensus.

Well then you should be happy that multiple well respected institutions are coming up with the same repeated numbers. Hooray us!

4 hours ago, shader said:

I can't really tell.  What I have seen is that a lot of people are taking this as the gospel truth now. I honestly didn't really bat an eye when I first saw the article because to me it seemed odd and i instantly discounted it.  But I underestimated how many people would grab ahold of it as new proof that this virus isn't a big deal.

It's just a crazy thing to watch.  A pandemic with so many dead, and yet a large number of people who think it's an overblown hoax.  

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/14-12-2017-up-to-650-000-people-die-of-respiratory-diseases-linked-to-seasonal-flu-each-year

:lmao: it’s the flu man.  Go outside, stop having unreasonable paranoia, and please go outside and get some vitamin D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

So, some good news.... Maybe good ol' Johnny Hopkins will be accepted by the timid.

Hopefully the brave men and women willing to accept this data realize it has little to no bearing on managing the pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

So, some good news...

Antibody Tests Point To Lower Death Rate For The Coronavirus Than First Thought

The source is NPR and the data comes from Johns Hopkins but I'll post this and watch as people do what they will with it.

Lots more info and data contained within so worth a read in it's entirety.

What is your definition of "the timid" ?

41 minutes ago, NotSmart said:

A couple of those are also illustrative of the likelihood of covid deaths being under-reported.

The other side of that thought is this. Co-workers mom works for a funeral home. They have had multiple bodies that the cause of death was listed as Covid and the families told the funeral home that their loved ones had not died from Covid. The mom told my co-worker that hospitals get $12K for each Covid death. I find the last fact a little hard to believe.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, shader said:

Get out of here with that

:lmao: you just said you trusted WHO more than the CDC.  I post an article from the WHO that says up to 650k die yearly from the flu (more like 670k adjusted for population).  

It’s the flu...Actually, if it continues to fade like most seasonal viruses, it’s quite possible it’s not really as bad as the flu.  

Never can be too sure about two more weeks though!!

Edited by tjnc09

16 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

The other side of that thought is this. Co-workers mom works for a funeral home. They have had multiple bodies that the cause of death was listed as Covid and the families told the funeral home that their loved ones had not died from Covid. The mom told my co-worker that hospitals get $12K for each Covid death. I find the last fact a little hard to believe.

Yes, they have incentive to lie about deaths.  They are definitely over counted until lawsuits start hitting nursing homes.  That will clean up the fake numbers lightning quick.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Beef Ravioli said:

The justaflu bros have been pushing the narrative that the number of cases is exaggerated since the beginning of the pandemic.  I have trouble believing that a hospital administrator would tell their doctors to lie.  That would be an awfully risky maneuver on their part.  Conspiracies that involve more than 2-3 people are very difficult to keep secret.  I guess that some doctors might be doing it in a lonewolf manner in order to try to bring more funds to their hospital.  But most doctors are very straight-laced and not likely to be corrupt.  In the case of the families of the deceased at the funeral home, it might be psychologically easier for them to believe their parent died from something other than a contagious disease that could have been prevented if they had taken it more seriously.

Edited by Don Hutson

15 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

:lmao: you just said you trusted WHO more than the CDC.  I post an article from the WHO that says up to 650k die yearly from the flu (more like 670k adjusted for population).  

It’s the flu...Actually, if it continues to fade like most seasonal viruses, it’s quite possible it’s not really as bad as the flu.  

Never can be too sure about two more weeks though!!

I could go into the many ways your lack of reading comprehension is hurting your position, but I won’t.  As you showed in a different post, you believe that the numbers are fake. You believe in a conspiracy theory.  The WHO does not believe it’s just a flu and has many articles on the major differences.  Go get educated if you’d like to.  But you won’t. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

Is there any truth to this that anyone knows of?

8 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Is there any truth to this that anyone knows of?

Yeah they do get more money.  It’s a provision in the Cares Act.  

But the idea that hospitals are committing fraud is total speculation.

Next Friday PA is going Yellow. Yesterday GOV of NJ said all sports teams can practice as long as they follow CDC guidelines so 76ers and Flyers can start again individual training. 

PA going Yellow should allow both the Steelers/Pirates and Eagles/Phillies to train again. 

So lets talk about having responsibilities to keep your employees safe during these times. My Store Director was out for almost 3 weeks for an apparent ear infection. He started not feeling well Fri after the initial rush and by the time I left Tuesday he was really bad. He cameback about a week and a half later for inventory and left and comeback. I got official confirmation from others at work and the Meat/Seafood/Bakery/Deli Union rep that our SD had the Virus but the company nor anyone else informed us as my SD didn't want us knowing. At least half the store should've been quarantined. My Front End Manager who's fiancee works my section also tested positive but it took like 3 weeks because of his own quack dr. Again most of us should've been quarantined but weren't.  My Co worker/His fiancee was still coming in despite him sick (Again before CDC guidelines regulated not coming in for a sick family member. Is there anything legally my co workers and I could do about this? Should we have been informed of our SD's sickness? Some have argued its against HIPPA laws but from speaking to family and friends in the medical field they are telling me its not as it becomes a matter of safety for everyone at that point 

Besides one security guy the company provided no one is really there to professionally handle telling customers practice social distancing or wear masks. Half the time customers are on top of us. IN PA Us Essential workers were given ONLY $2 while the state is closed. Compared to the nurses and DR who got way more. I'm not saying our job is more important but when you consider we are also at a serious health threat for our jobs $2 is slap in the face and disrespectful. We should have a limit of customers from 130 down to 100 IMHO. The Customers themselves have been getting worse impatient, ignorant and rude. Its just a total mess these days. I was literally running out of work today thanking I was leaving at a decent time. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Yes we would.  A whole bunch of families in a particular school district would all get sick at once.  It would not be difficult to figure out what's happening in a case like that -- we've had no problem identifying other hot spots.

If "we" did contract tracing, you'd be correct....

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, beer 30 said:

Still can't get my head around this at this point in the game. American excellence at it's best.

At this point it really is exceptionalism (but not in a good way)...

2 hours ago, Big League Chew said:

MD has been mask enforced for over a month now. Good for them

Here is a video of masks people are wearing and how ineffectual they really are.  https://youtu.be/pTA5ndbXaFI. As with any flu it helps to wear the right mask,. Which hardly anyone is using.    The flu particles still linger in the air.  Then  watch this video.  https://youtu.be/pZiGJUbxqww. The more you know.  Learn the truth people!!!

Does anyone know for real how these deaths at care facilities are counted? I've often wondered if my mom would've been considered a COVID fatality if she had lived. She died in 2018 after only 6 months in a care facility. She was admitted and placed in hospice as she was terminal with ovarian cancer. If she had contracted COVID before her death would've she be counted as a COVID death or ovarian cancer?

My heart breaks for families who have loved ones in care facilities during this. It was so tough emotionally for me in 2018 that I simply can't imagine what it's like dealing with that same stress and heartache and not being able to see, hug, touch dying family members during this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJackson10 said:

Next Friday PA is going Yellow. Yesterday GOV of NJ said all sports teams can practice as long as they follow CDC guidelines so 76ers and Flyers can start again individual training. 

PA going Yellow should allow both the Steelers/Pirates and Eagles/Phillies to train again. 

I don’t think teams are allowed to do anything organized until all teams can

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, shader said:

I could go into the many ways your lack of reading comprehension is hurting your position, but I won’t.  As you showed in a different post, you believe that the numbers are fake. You believe in a conspiracy theory.  The WHO does not believe it’s just a flu and has many articles on the major differences.  Go get educated if you’d like to.  But you won’t. 

You don’t believe the CDC which is hilarious.  

310k is a steep hill to climb.  Maybe we get there in two more weeks or two more weeks after that.  Worldwide flu numbers are worse.  I bet 2018 was miserable for you staying inside all winter when everyone else was outside enjoying their life carefree.

Edited by tjnc09

8 hours ago, shader said:

That CDC article that estimated a .26% cfr is really becoming the document that the hoaxers and the justaflu bros are using to justify their positions.  I have been too busy to seriously analyze it, but it's honestly a shocking number that they need to address in more detail.  

Pretty interesting article:  we may need to move this discussion to the political thread.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemlee/coronavirus-cdc-infection-fatality-rate

Based on past flu's the number will be less than that.

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Mounting evidence suggests the coronavirus is more common and less deadly than it first appeared.

Only partisanship could blind a person to the obviousness of this.

The virus was here for months before we even tested for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-05-20/doctors-office-layoffs-in-pandemic-reveal-u-s-health-care-faults

1.5 healthcare workers no longer employed since February.  How is that possible?  I thought COVID was killing everyone.

Did you happen to read the article? If you had, you'd have the answer to your question.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, matuski said:

Only partisanship could blind a person to the obviousness of this.

The virus was here for months before we even tested for it.

The obviousness of what?  

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Biff84 said:

https://covidtracking.com/data/state/arizona

Am I reading this right? Arizona had a jump of 817 hospitalizations today?

Doesn't seem to align with the state data here

Looks like that is now the number for cumulative, but current hospitalizations due to covid is only 945.  Who knows.

Also the first day they are showing any recovered, so maybe related.

Edited by phunktrain

12 minutes ago, phunktrain said:

Doesn't seem to align with the state data here

Looks like that is now the number for cumulative, but current hospitalizations due to covid is only 945.  Who knows.

Certainly looks like something is going on. Looking at just Maricopa county (Phoenix) they posted 317 new hospitalizations. Prior to that they averaged about 17 per day with a previous high of 65 on May 1st. Hopefully something just changed in the reporting or a backlog.

A sad, new high for new cases on Covid worldometers.  Over 116,000 new cases today, led again by Brazil (24K+) and the U.S. (22K+).  Nineteen countries with 1,000 or more new cases, which shows the continuing spread of the virus and the possibility of more trouble spots.  After the rapid increases in cases through March, from early April on the trend line of new cases continues to climb.  That said, deaths, which peaked in mid-April, have been trending downward (with 5K+ new deaths today).  Did flattening the curve allow better medical focus, or did the medical profession quickly improve their ability to treat the virus?  I dunno.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ericttspikes said:

Does anyone know for real how these deaths at care facilities are counted? I've often wondered if my mom would've been considered a COVID fatality if she had lived. She died in 2018 after only 6 months in a care facility. She was admitted and placed in hospice as she was terminal with ovarian cancer. If she had contracted COVID before her death would've she be counted as a COVID death or ovarian cancer?

My heart breaks for families who have loved ones in care facilities during this. It was so tough emotionally for me in 2018 that I simply can't imagine what it's like dealing with that same stress and heartache and not being able to see, hug, touch dying family members during this.

My mom (late 80s) died March 27 after just over two weeks in a care facility. She had terminal bladder cancer and went downhill fast after being hospitalized in late February, so it definitely was a hospice situation. I looked up the case numbers released here in Mass. today and there have been nine reported COVID deaths in that facility, but no indication that she was one of them (as she shouldn’t have been).

Yeah, it was tough. I didn’t “see” her the last three weeks other than a couple of quick FaceTime calls. My sister was able to go in up through the last night.

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, bucksoh said:

Here is a video of masks people are wearing and how ineffectual they really are.

"They found that all the face masks made a difference"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, the moops said:

"They found that all the face masks made a difference"

You must have missed all the particles flowing threw the mask in the video.

4 minutes ago, bucksoh said:

You must have missed all the particles flowing threw the mask in the video.

Nobody has said, or theorized that a mask will stop all particles. Do you think seat belts are worthless because people still die in car crashes? Or are bike helmets not a thing in your life cause you can still smash your head on the pavement and suffer serious head trauma?

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, shader said:

The obviousness of what?  

The quotes were a hint.

45 minutes ago, Dickie Dunn said:

My mom (late 80s) died March 27 after just over two weeks in a care facility. She had terminal bladder cancer and went downhill fast after being hospitalized in late February, so it definitely was a hospice situation. I looked up the case numbers released here in Mass. today and there have been nine reported COVID deaths in that facility, but no indication that she was one of them (as she shouldn’t have been).

Yeah, it was tough. I didn’t “see” her the last three weeks other than a couple of quick FaceTime calls. My sister was able to go in up through the last night.

Sorry for your loss. As tough as losing my mom was, I realize she and my family were blessed not to have the extra burden of the pandemic to deal with.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tri-man 47 said:

A sad, new high for new cases on Covid worldometers.  Over 116,000 new cases today, led again by Brazil (24K+) and the U.S. (22K+).  Nineteen countries with 1,000 or more new cases, which shows the continuing spread of the virus and the possibility of more trouble spots.  After the rapid increases in cases through March, from early April on the trend line of new cases continues to climb.  That said, deaths, which peaked in mid-April, have been trending downward (with 5K+ new deaths today).  Did flattening the curve allow better medical focus, or did the medical profession quickly improve their ability to treat the virus?  I dunno.  

Or we are better at protecting the elderly. 

1 hour ago, Dickie Dunn said:

Sorry to hear Dickie.

• Thanks 2

If we have learned anything, it’s that

• This is far worse than flu
  • Wearing makes mitigates most common means of transmission 

pretty much ignore any flat Earthers who can’t acknowledge those things.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Also on the mask thing.

When I go gorcery shopping, I find it glorious to get super high, put my mask on, wear some headphones, sunglasses and just listen to some good tunes and smile while I shop. If I did this 2 months ago I would have gotten some weird looks. Now I can enjoy being high and smiling and nobody gives a ####

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

If we have learned anything, it’s that

• This is far worse than flu
  • Wearing makes mitigates most common means of transmission 

pretty much ignore any flat Earthers who can’t acknowledge those things.

The whole "it's not a big deal" crowd taking advantage of the positive results from 2+ months of a "nationwide" quarantine in really annoying.  It worked, and still 100k died.  Could've been so much worse.  

• Thanks 6

4 hours ago, Tool said:

Did you happen to read the article? If you had, you'd have the answer to your question.

Yes. I was being sarcastic.  The paranoia is going to kill many more than the virus itself

1 hour ago, Mookie said:

The whole "it's not a big deal" crowd taking advantage of the positive results from 2+ months of a "nationwide" quarantine in really annoying.  It worked, and still 100k died.  Could've been so much worse.  

60% of deaths were in nursing homes because governors sent infected back in for some stupid reason.  The result of locking everybody inside killed more people.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

OR this virus family is seasonal like the flu :shuked:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, tjnc09 said:

Also more testing means more cases 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, need2know said:

Also more testing means more cases 

Exactly. Sadly our local media feeds on creating drama and tries to avoid providing testing Info with their headlines of case increases. Such a joke. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tjnc09 said:

Question: if this virus truly is seasonal, and supposedly susceptible to warmer weather, shouldn't case numbers be dropping even with increased testing?