What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

Last weekend (Father's Day), my sister and husband visited my mother/father. They were inside most of the time. I came over after they had left and was outside for the entire visit with the exception of using the bathroom.

Today, I took my father out for a quick drink(s). We were outside at first, but moved inside. He mentioned to me that my sister was not feeling well and her husband had been in Arizona (we live in Illinois) for a bachelor party so they were going to be tested. At the time of this conversation this afternoon, I had no idea they were over on Sunday and that my parents may have been exposed to COVID. I sat across from him for about 2 hours without a mask on in an indoor environment today.

My mom called me tonight to let me know that my sister/husband both tested positive for COVID. My mom is going to be tested on Monday. My father seemed fine when I was around him but I am a little irritated he didn't mention all of this background before meeting up with him - I wouldn't have.

Saying all that, its unlikely I was exposed last Sunday to anything, but probably possible. During the week, no symptoms - an occasional headache, but nothing that Advil didn't take care of. Tonight, I had bad diarrhea (but also ate a pizza that may contributed to that).

Question - Should I get tested? If so, should I do it on Monday or wait a few days? Should I not tested if I don't experience any symptoms?
Many variables here, but if I’m understanding correctly, you weren’t directly exposed to anyone who tested positive. Potential sources include the bathroom on Father’s Day (unlikely, assuming you washed your hands), and your mom/dad today.

The diarrhea today would be too soon to attribute to exposure to your parents. And unless the headaches were really unusual, it’s unlikely they’d be your only COVID symptom.

In the absence of working a high risk occupation, where you’d put compromised individuals at risk, I don’t think you need to be tested. If you can, wait a couple days to see you’re parents’ results before resuming normal activity.

My wife tested positive, got the results on Friday. Picked it up from her brother, who was exposed at work. My BIL gave my wife a ride home from a friend's house (it was her bday, she was at a friend's house with one other person, outside on their deck the entire time) on Friday the 19th, which is when she would have picked it up, so a 25 minute car ride is enough to do it (insert jokes here). My brother-in-law started showing symptoms the next day, Saturday the 20th. He was exposed at work on Tuesday the 16th, but didn't find out about it in any capacity until the afternoon of the 20th. He felt terrible for most of this week, but says he's back to 100% as of today. 

No symptoms at this point for my wife, been almost a full 10 days since she picked it up, so hopefully we're in the clear. I want to get tested just to see if she was even capable of passing it on, because if she was I would have had to have gotten it as well, we've done nothing different since we found out in terms of inside our house. 9 year-old stepson has been with us the entire time, 17 month old son as well, no symptoms or anything out of the ordinary for either of them. Interesting stuff. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Head over to the stock thread, Chet was pushing CytoDyn (CYDY) back in December when it was like .28 and it's run to $6.92

A lot of FBG's are in it
I’m sure. 

While the drug may end up being great, I really dislike all the speculating that’s being done with potential treatments/vaccines. Money has a way of clouding good judgement, and there are too many examples of data being fudged for financial benefit.

Last weekend (Father's Day), my sister and husband visited my mother/father. They were inside most of the time. I came over after they had left and was outside for the entire visit with the exception of using the bathroom.

Today, I took my father out for a quick drink(s). We were outside at first, but moved inside. He mentioned to me that my sister was not feeling well and her husband had been in Arizona (we live in Illinois) for a bachelor party so they were going to be tested. At the time of this conversation this afternoon, I had no idea they were over on Sunday and that my parents may have been exposed to COVID. I sat across from him for about 2 hours without a mask on in an indoor environment today.
Your sister and her husband sound like they aren't very bright nor caring about your parents. Maybe we could start a "How to do everything wrong and spread it to family" thread and use this one as the OP.

Good luck. It would suck for you to be alone and come down with a bad case of this. Rooting for you not to have this thing.

shader said:
Those of us without blinders on have been called “negative” and “downers” for four months.

Im quick to point out good news.  The NE right now is great news.  Hats off to them.

There is no good news in the south. People need to stop trying to find positives in the situations of Florida and Texas, because there are none. 

The only solutions are to lock those areas down again, and then mandate masks when they reopen. Reality isn’t positive or negative. 
Wait a minute.....STOP looking for positives? Are you for real? I have never blocked anyone on this site, but you may be my first. Your constant negativity is wearing on me. 

Every time somebody brings any good news of any kind, you find a way to bash it. It's getting old. Yeah, let's just all have your negative, pessimistic attitude. Wouldn't that be grand. 

This TMC reporting thing seems beyond shady.  Houston Chronicle is covering it but stopping short of reporting the rumor that Abbot made a deal with the officials there to continue some elective surgeries in exchange for removing ICU capacity and possibly throttling the data a bit.  

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-hospitals-hit-100-base-ICU-capacity-15372256.php?fbclid=IwAR3IU3LG7KotM3SDXwzIhsuNTk54b2ENPHvb8zQD2ZFAaMao3fIv25XFWZU

Remember when people didn't trust China's numbers?

Wait a minute.....STOP looking for positives? Are you for real? I have never blocked anyone on this site, but you may be my first. Your constant negativity is wearing on me. 

Every time somebody brings any good news of any kind, you find a way to bash it. It's getting old. Yeah, let's just all have your negative, pessimistic attitude. Wouldn't that be grand. 
I strongly suggest you do not block @shader    We need people like him in here.  He's not posting negativity just to get a rise out of people.

I do live alone.

How soon do you recommend I get tested - right away or wait a few days?
To clarify, your parents are the only ones who require evaluation via contact tracing. You only need testing if your parents had symptoms compatible with COVID-19, or one of them is positive. From the CDC:

Summary of COVID-19 Specific Practices

Contact tracing will be conducted for close contacts (any individual within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes) of laboratory-confirmed or probable COVID-19 patients.

Remote communications for the purposes of case investigation and contact tracing should be prioritized; in-person communication may be considered only after remote options have been exhausted.

Testing is recommended for all close contacts of confirmed or probable COVID-19 patients.

Those contacts who test positive (symptomatic or asymptomatic) should be managed as a confirmed COVID-19 case.

Asymptomatic contacts testing negative should self-quarantine for 14 days from their last exposure (i.e., close encounter with confirmed or probable COVID-19 case)

If testing is not available, symptomatic close contacts should self-isolate and be managed as a probable COVID-19 case.

If testing is not available, asymptomatic close contacts should self-quarantine and be monitored for 14 days after their last exposure, with linkage to clinical care for those who develop symptoms.
Using the bathroom an hour+ after an infected person doesn’t cut it, nor does close contact with somebody who qualifies for contact tracing themself.

In the absence of testing, your parents would qualify as probable only if they had symptoms compatible with C-19 and no more likely alternative diagnosis. Regardless of their test results, they should self-quarantine for 2 weeks after their last contact with you sister/BIL.

How does RtLive now show NY in the red? They've had no increase in any numbers. Frustrating site to trust.

Their graph shows a rise since mid-May., when NY was in the 2000 case range.
Since the Rt number was below one, that means that transmitted cases were decreasing at a decreasing rate, not that they were increasing.

I think it would really help to read the RT FAQ page to understand what they are showing you.  It's more about infection rates there than anything.  Anything 1 or above meaning, one person affects one other person is "red".  If they are infecting less than one person, it's "green".

They didn't say 85000 people have caught the virus, if that is what you read into that.
Any word on the Virginia Beach area being a hotspot?  Going to Williamsburg next week, staying in our camper so will be eating the majority of our meals there, maybe occasional take out. Will be doing the outside attractions at historic sites with masks so feel pretty good there. Kids would like to do a day trip over to Virginia Beach, this will be our first summer ever without a beach trip of some sort other wise. Would likely park, go set up on the beach and spend the day on the beach and in the ocean but would have to eat somewhere, would try to keep it to outside dining.

I never bash actual good news here. I've been very complimentary of the Northeast.  They handled the outbreak, got past it, and now are apparently being very strict in their mask usage.  Those are good things.  They need to show caution, because it could always come back.  But for now, it's going well. That's real good news.

There is very little good news in Florida and Texas right now.  It's a devolving situation that is going bad very quickly in those states.   Every day that these new outbreak areas try to spin the truth in favor of "optimism" (fake optimism), more people will die as a result.  Right now, we don't "look for postives" in those areas.  We shut them down.  That's it.  That's how to beat it.

This virus is pretty easy to beat, from a logistical standpoint.  The blueprint is all over the world.  Many portions of the USA aren't following the blueprint, most notably the deep south, where I live.  So excuse me for getting a bit fired up about this thing. 

Any word on the Virginia Beach area being a hotspot?  Going to Williamsburg next week, staying in our camper so will be eating the majority of our meals there, maybe occasional take out. Will be doing the outside attractions at historic sites with masks so feel pretty good there. Kids would like to do a day trip over to Virginia Beach, this will be our first summer ever without a beach trip of some sort other wise. Would likely park, go set up on the beach and spend the day on the beach and in the ocean but would have to eat somewhere, would try to keep it to outside dining.
I sort of forget what the context was of this quote, but from doing a beach trip to Florida in early June I can say that the behavior of humans when they get to a vacation spot in a pandemic is to go on vacation.  Nobody was following any rules, and the only spacing that was being followed was more or less because there were slightly fewer people there than a normal year.  Restaurants would seat people using the same loophole that was exploited in Texas about fire code capacity.  

You get looked at like you've lost your mind if you wear a mask inside, let alone outside.  Seniors were given respect though for that choice where they did. 

I'm starting to get pictures and info back from people making the flights to Cancun and they are saying it's biz as usual except that there is nobody there.

We had hardly any contact with anyone, got groceries delivered, etc. But you saw huge roving groups of families, bacherlorette parties, college parties, senior groups etc.  

Honestly, it is Suffolk county - NYC and inner suburbs look really good still.
Suffolk County is doing just about the same as Nassau and Westchester counties. 1.0% positive or less over the past 7-14 days, around 80 people in hospitals and declining, around 18 in the ICU. Daily fatalities are low single digits or 0 over last 7-14 days as well.

NY Forward Dashboard

NY on the whole is doing well. Not sure what rt.live is showing but I visit that site a lot less frequently now, it seems odd.

Suffolk County is doing just about the same as Nassau and Westchester counties. 1.0% positive or less over the past 7-14 days, around 80 people in hospitals and declining, around 18 in the ICU. Daily fatalities are low single digits or 0 over last 7-14 days as well.

NY Forward Dashboard

NY on the whole is doing well. Not sure what rt.live is showing but I visit that site a lot less frequently now, it seems odd.
Rt.live is kind of confusing as it is calculating acceleration instead of velocity.

NY Forward Dashboard

Interesting, Worldometers is showing a constitently higher number of cases than surrounding area even though it has a much lower population. Here is an example from yesterday where it has more than twice the cases than the worst NY city county (Queens) and like 7 times the cases as Nassau.  This has been pretty consistent for last week or so according to that site.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/

Great news!!

1 state reporting 1 syllable in it's name
2 states reporting total death count in the teens
3 states in the green according to https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/
4 states start and end with the same letter
5 states do not have a sales tax
6 states have used the services of Ryan Fitzpatrick
7 states have tested over a million people
8 states border both Missouri & Tennessee, and they border each other
9 states under 100 deaths total
10 states with under 1000 active cases
11 states making progress according to https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/
12 states reporting a decrease in positive cases over last 14 days
13 states reporting normal ICU availability
14 states reporting normal hospital bed availability
15 states report less than 100 deaths per million
16 states under 1 on the Rt scale
17 states have a MLB team
18 states under 500 deaths
19 states have tested at least 10% of their population
20 states have birthed a President (South Carolina almost counts, but they were a colony when Andrew Jackson became President)
21 states end in the letter A
22 states reaching their testing targets
23 states have over 5 million people
24 states report decrease in hospitalizations over last 14 days

How does RtLive now show NY in the red? They've had no increase in any numbers. Frustrating site to trust.
Their numbers change so often it's ridiculous.  I'm fine with a state going into the red or green from day to day, but not major shifts 3 months ago.  For example, let's use NY.  If you look right now, as of 3 months ago, they were #6 overall with an Rt rate of .78.  If I look at the site tomorrow and that number has varied by a ton, there is a problem.  And yes, I have noticed this many times with many different states.

I have come to the conclusion that the site is only accurate when Connecticut looks good.

Good luck to those that follow rt.live.  I get what they are trying to do, but I don't find it transparent enough.  I'm sticking with 91-DIVOC which seems to be the best on seeing the specific data elements that you want.  I still haven't found a resource for monitoring local conditions (chicago suburbs) - they show cumulative case counts by zip code, but not trends which is what we need. 

Good luck to those that follow rt.live.  I get what they are trying to do, but I don't find it transparent enough.  I'm sticking with 91-DIVOC which seems to be the best on seeing the specific data elements that you want.  I still haven't found a resource for monitoring local conditions (chicago suburbs) - they show cumulative case counts by zip code, but not trends which is what we need. 
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I found this IL county risk metrics page helpful for local conditions.

https://dph.illinois.gov/countymetrics

For my county, I had to begin tracking it in excel.  Usually the data exists somewhere that allows you to do that.  So you could take your zip code/county, find the data for the last month (might take awhile), and begin inputting it into excel.

Also, check twitter and other news sources when your state/city drop numbers.  Often there are people in those threads that do the above tracking on their own. 

I tried rt.live for awhile, but it did nothing for me.  I think case counts and positive rate%, while not perfect, are the two pieces of info that can best predict a hot spot.  Watch those, and you'll see it coming in plenty of time.  

VB has been doing very well according the VDH Covid site.  Currently at 1,145 cases (this is a running counter, not active cases), and their rate of 254/cases per 100,000 population is among the best in the state as far as cities go.  Richmond/DC area/Roanoke and other areas range from 400 to over 1000/100,000.  So it is not a hotspot.  But you should take necessary precautions.  I am guessing traffic from other states will be heavy.

Virginia as whole is doing well right now having dropped from 1000 new cases/day (average) at the end of May to around 500 new cases/day now, but we have flatlined that number in the last week.   Gut feeling is that will start to climb.  I would say mask usage is 50/50 (those over 50 do, those under 50 don't).

This virus is pretty easy to beat, from a logistical standpoint.  The blueprint is all over the world.  Many portions of the USA aren't following the blueprint, most notably the deep south, where I live.  So excuse me for getting a bit fired up about this thing. 
Like this? https://www.newsweek.com/4000-people-allowed-attend-tennessee-concert-old-prison-amid-coronavirus-spread-1513436

That by you? Pictures from that seems to scream bad idea https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8468633/Country-singer-Chase-Rice-hosts-concert-4-000-fans-Tennessee.html

What does this prove exactly?
Nothing, which is why good contact tracing and analysis is needed. But a surge in infected people in their 20s is consistent with an increase in positive cases resulting from the protests. There are lots of assumptions in that, but how else to explain the surge in people in their 20s, but not those in their 30s and 40s? BTW, my 27 yo daughter attended 3 large protests in Miami and said 90 to 95% were wearing masks. But that leaves 5 to 10% who weren't. 

Cuomo said they might hold off indoor dining which was set start again July 6 in NYC. Good idea!
Yeah, seeing what’s happened elsewhere, indoor dining is likely to be rolled back. I’m expected bars and restaurants to be rolled back to to-go/delivery eventually in the hotspots. No sense opening up indoor seating and reversing it in a few weeks. It will crush some businesses though.

Also Florida only reportes 41,626 test results yesterday when they were at 57k, 71k, 78k and 72k 6/24-6/27. 13.67% positive rate on new cases too. Going to be an ugly week. They continue to not provide hospitalization rates, wonder why...

Nothing, which is why good contact tracing and analysis is needed. But a surge in infected people in their 20s is consistent with an increase in positive cases resulting from the protests. There are lots of assumptions in that, but how else to explain the surge in people in their 20s, but not those in their 30s and 40s? BTW, my 27 yo daughter attended 3 large protests in Miami and said 90 to 95% were wearing masks. But that leaves 5 to 10% who weren't. 
I will be shocked if the protests didn’t cause a spike but we’ve seen spikes in that age range in all the hotspots even before the protests. And while that’s the age range of many of the protesters, it’s also the age range of those going to bars, clubs and gyms which are typically indoors and unlikely to have patrons wearing masks. Tough to pin it all on protests.

There were more than 20-29 year olds at those protests. If the increase was due to them you'd see an increase across more age groups. Minnesota is also surging nowhere near places like Texas and Florida but that doesn't fit the narrative. 

You seem to very passive aggressively be pushing a certain narrative in here. 

Users who are viewing this thread