Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Blue Dot Orange Dot said:

My dad lives in northern OH, said he sees about 5-10% of people wearing masks when he’s at Wal-Mart or the grocery store. :wall:
 

He wears one and minimizes how often he leaves the house. He really should get his groceries delivered since he’s 74 and had triple bypass surgery 6 months ago. 

That's where my mom, about to turn 90, is. She rarely ventures out. My brother handles most of her groceries. But occasionally she needs something and needs to go out. I need to ask her what percentage of masks she is seeing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, El Floppo said:

jesus. glad I've stayed out of this bottom feeding inducing thread.

people accusing a guy who's said he lost 14 people he knows to this of lying? wtf is wrong with you people.

Nobody has once said he was lying.  Follow up questions were asked due to the statistical probability of the statement.  

And I still don't think we've seen any follow up answers.

Edited by Tiger Fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our outbreak is still pretty bad, but mostly 20-somethings who went to bars last weekend, so likely fewer serious cases and deaths.  Vent usage is not up at local hospitals. I just got back from a 7:00am trip to Lowe's.  I was pleased to see more than half the customers in masks.  The last time I was there mask usage was very limited. Me and another couple.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, worrierking said:

Our outbreak is still pretty bad, but mostly 20-somethings who went to bars last weekend, so likely fewer serious cases and deaths.  Vent usage is not up at local hospitals. I just got back from a 7:00am trip to Lowe's.  I was pleased to see more than half the customers in masks.  The last time I was there mask usage was very limited. Me and another couple.

 

A/S/L?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

How have the recent daily death totals been compared to say, a few weeks ago?

There's virtually nowhere this stat has degraded in the US. If someone knows of one I'd like to understand where. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tiger Fan said:

Nobody has once said he was lying.  Follow up questions were asked due to the statistical probability of the statement.  

And I still don't think we've seen any follow up answers.

Right. Nobody said he's lying. They've just said they don't believe him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Right. Nobody said he's lying. They've just said they don't believe him.

Ain’t semantics a #####?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Tiger Fan said:

Nobody has once said he was lying.  Follow up questions were asked due to the statistical probability of the statement.  

And I still don't think we've seen any follow up answers.

It isn't as unlikely as people are making it out to be. Viral cases are not randomly distributed around the country. If a person gets COVID, they are more likely to pass it to family and friends than random people. If you have a family member with COVID, you will likely end up knowing a lot of people who get it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Right. Nobody said he's lying. They've just said they don't believe him.

I figured they were fishing to see if a large number of the victims had obesity-related issues, or some other reason for the dramatically young spread.  I certainly would have been interested.  Hard to believe a dozen sub-50 people in "perfect health" would make a list that didn't also include 100 elderly.

Me turning 50 in a matter of days wouldn't have anything to do with my morbid curiosity... no not at all...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also out of curiosity, not knowing my blood type I got a home blood test.  Came back AO.  Nice knowing all of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DallasDMac said:

SA just crushed previous highs today. Hospitalizations jumped 20% today alone. One quarter of positive cases are in the 20-29 age group. 55% under the age of 40.

Local news is saying majority of new cases traced back to bars and gyms.

I haven't been to a bar, but it seems there is little regard to distancing among the young people.  Worked out a gym couple times a early June, gym was so strict about everything I don't know how that is the case... I would bet this is more the crossfit and boot camp classes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, matuski said:

Local news is saying majority of new cases traced back to bars and gyms.

I haven't been to a bar, but it seems there is little regard to distancing among the young people.  Worked out a gym couple times a early June, gym was so strict about everything I don't know how that is the case... I would bet this is more the crossfit and boot camp classes.

They can clean all they want, but there's still lots of mask-less heavy breathing in a not-so-big space.

Plus, many of the hardcore gym crowd are the type that are still going even if they feel a little sick. 

I miss the gym, but I won't be going back when it reopens here. I'll work out at home as best I can until there's a vaccine / herd immunity / whatever. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, matuski said:

Local news is saying majority of new cases traced back to bars and gyms.

I haven't been to a bar, but it seems there is little regard to distancing among the young people.  Worked out a gym couple times a early June, gym was so strict about everything I don't know how that is the case... I would bet this is more the crossfit and boot camp classes.

 

Group exercise classes seem like the ideal place to catch this thing.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Also out of curiosity, not knowing my blood type I got a home blood test.  Came back AO.  Nice knowing all of you.

That’s not a type lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

That’s not a type lol

Yea it is, it is just A. It is just unnecessarily written out as some sort of genotype version with extraneous detail. 

AA and AO are both A. 

Edited by huthut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to catch COVID and the actual flu at the same time? I know that's probably some crazy nightmare scenario.

But you'd imagine that would have to be a bad time. It's all respiratory.

 

The reason I bring this up, is what it you had COVID and you're asymptomatic but then catch influenza. Does that somehow open the gateway to respiratory conditions like severe cases of COVID are experiencing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, jwb said:

They can clean all they want, but there's still lots of mask-less heavy breathing in a not-so-big space.

Plus, many of the hardcore gym crowd are the type that are still going even if they feel a little sick. 

I miss the gym, but I won't be going back when it reopens here. I'll work out at home as best I can until there's a vaccine / herd immunity / whatever. 

Same here.  I can tell you from first-hand experience that I have gone to the gym in the past many, many times when I had a cold, and I'm sure I'm not alone.  Our gym reopened back on June 1 and I haven't been once.  As long as the weather holds, I'm planning on just using the good old outdoors for as long as possible.  If it happens to be a rainy day, I'll take the unscheduled day off and roll with it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Breezy H2O said:

Is it possible to catch COVID and the actual flu at the same time? I know that's probably some crazy nightmare scenario.

But what if the covid virus and flu virus are enemies and hold one another in a state of perpetual check?  Catching both at the same time might make you immortal.  

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tiger Fan said:

Nobody has once said he was lying.  Follow up questions were asked due to the statistical probability of the statement.  

And I still don't think we've seen any follow up answers.

It was implied. And he responded.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

But what if the covid virus and flu virus are enemies and hold one another in a state of perpetual check?  Catching both at the same time might make you immortal.  

There can be only one.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, culdeus said:

Also out of curiosity, not knowing my blood type I got a home blood test.  Came back AO.  Nice knowing all of you.

I'm going to miss the artist formerly known as culdeus. Godspeed on your journey grasshopper 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Breezy H2O said:

Is it possible to catch COVID and the actual flu at the same time? I know that's probably some crazy nightmare scenario.

But you'd imagine that would have to be a bad time. It's all respiratory.

 

The reason I bring this up, is what it you had COVID and you're asymptomatic but then catch influenza. Does that somehow open the gateway to respiratory conditions like severe cases of COVID are experiencing?

Yes it is, and no it doesn’t. Many, if not most people with COVID have been tested for flu, and the vast majority aren’t coinfected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier there was a graph showing fatalities per case going down, with speculation on improved treatment. Is there any data on the average age of the infected? I have a feeling that is the primary difference, where at first it was blowing through care facilities and such, and now it is getting a bunch of people who are going to bars and partying, which I would assume would skew it younger. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, huthut said:

Earlier there was a graph showing fatalities per case going down, with speculation on improved treatment. Is there any data on the average age of the infected? I have a feeling that is the primary difference, where at first it was blowing through care facilities and such, and now it is getting a bunch of people who are going to bars and partying, which I would assume would skew it younger. 

This is definitely the case in Arizona 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

But what if the covid virus and flu virus are enemies and hold one another in a state of perpetual check?  Catching both at the same time might make you immortal.  

CM Burns reference?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, huthut said:

Earlier there was a graph showing fatalities per case going down, with speculation on improved treatment. Is there any data on the average age of the infected? I have a feeling that is the primary difference, where at first it was blowing through care facilities and such, and now it is getting a bunch of people who are going to bars and partying, which I would assume would skew it younger. 

Maybe a little bit because of better treatment but most of the change is the large decrease in the median age of positives cases. We are beyond screwed if this virus starts killing 25-50 year olds at a higher clip.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, huthut said:

Earlier there was a graph showing fatalities per case going down, with speculation on improved treatment. Is there any data on the average age of the infected? I have a feeling that is the primary difference, where at first it was blowing through care facilities and such, and now it is getting a bunch of people who are going to bars and partying, which I would assume would skew it younger. 

This is exactly how I feel.  Connecticut leads the nation with 9.31% of it's infected dying.  No state getting slammed right now even comes close.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, culdeus said:

Also out of curiosity, not knowing my blood type I got a home blood test.  Came back AO.  Nice knowing all of you.

For medical purposes, this means that youre blood type is Type A.

You inherited a Type A genetic marker from one of your parents and a Type O marker from the other (scroll down about 3/4 of the way down this page for more detail).

Does the home test show whether you are Rh+ or Rh- ?
 

EDIT: What huthut said.

Edited by Doug B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Santa Clara County (former hotspot of Bay Area) has had hospitalization around 60-70 the past 2 weeks. Last non-LTC death was June 12th.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any states right now that are having high death counts, not just high positives or hospitalizations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

It isn't as unlikely as people are making it out to be. Viral cases are not randomly distributed around the country. If a person gets COVID, they are more likely to pass it to family and friends than random people. If you have a family member with COVID, you will likely end up knowing a lot of people who get it.

The age of the death the the unlikeliness in this example.  It's a clear outlier...just curious as to the details.  Not the same thing as calling the OP a liar. :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

31 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Are there any states right now that are having high death counts, not just high positives or hospitalizations?

Florida and Indiana are states that you would look to here, both have been outliers in that their death rate has not dropped.  They've stayed mostly constant though, not rising, just sort of staying flat.  :shrug: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, culdeus said:

 

Florida and Indiana are states that you would look to here, both have been outliers in that their death rate has not dropped.  They've stayed mostly constant though, not rising, just sort of staying flat.  :shrug: 

Is there a chart somewhere that shows this for all the states? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Is there a chart somewhere that shows this for all the states? 

Not that I have found.  I pretty much just find some data and start doing the math.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Is there a chart somewhere that shows this for all the states? 

No.  Some states give you nothing then you have places like this where the data quality is great, but very local.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/total-icu-bed-occupancy/

Here you see that they are modeling 2 weeks until they run out of space, however this is using a linear projection which may not be realistic.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Is there a chart somewhere that shows this for all the states? 

You know what we should've done?  We should've assigned states to the folks in here, and we would've had some great numbers.  For example, I have a spreadsheet I made following Connecticut.  It shows daily tests, positives, hospitalizations, and deaths.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joffer said:

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/TexasCOVID-19HospitalizationsOverTimebyTSA.xlsx

Texas COVID hospitalizations over time.  essentially doubled in past 3 weeks

Local news just stated San Antonio doubled in the past two weeks.

I'd like to think the Governor would have something helpful and intelligent to say at his 2 p.m. briefing today, but I know that's a pipe dream. Especially giving the idiotic exploits of his idol this weekend, gathering thousands of people in an enclosed space with no masks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheWinz said:

You know what we should've done?  We should've assigned states to the folks in here, and we would've had some great numbers.  For example, I have a spreadsheet I made following Connecticut.  It shows daily tests, positives, hospitalizations, and deaths.

I continue to be baffled as to how difficult it can be to find data like this.  Once they started breaking PA's data out by county, I started watching my county since it's most relevant for my family.  They list total tests and positives, but the only way to get day to day data is to log it yourself by checking the website every day.  Same thing with hospitalizations and ventilators.  After forgetting for a few days, I stopped logging, thinking surely someone will make the daily breakdown available soon.  So far, sadly, not that I've found...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New rumblings from South and Central Texas.

Increased hospitalizations, but the cases are generally not severe.  Still no worry about over running the hospitals but out of precaution may start limiting elective procedures and possibly a brief shut down in July.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like local municipalities here are beginning to do the needful and requiring masks.  It'd be incredibly helpful if we'd have state leadership on this, but he too seems to be punting opting for what I call the "whack-a-mole" approach.  I will say, I appreciate the irony of the people #####ing about being shut down are pretty much the same people #####ing about having to wear a mask anywhere.  At least that's the local observation.  At least the stupidity is consistent I guess?  So frustrating.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, matuski said:

New rumblings from South and Central Texas.

Increased hospitalizations, but the cases are generally not severe.  

That's great.  Probably a pipe dream but the general wisdom is that these bugs evolve into less virulent forms over time.  One can only hope that were starting to see that.

Edited by Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Looks like local municipalities here are beginning to do the needful and requiring masks.  It'd be incredibly helpful if we'd have state leadership on this, but he too seems to be punting opting for what I call the "whack-a-mole" approach.  I will say, I appreciate the irony of the people #####ing about being shut down are pretty much the same people #####ing about having to wear a mask anywhere.  At least that's the local observation.  At least the stupidity is consistent I guess?  So frustrating.

Knowledge: "We can open up slowly and safely if we wear masks."

U.S.A.: "Yeah we're not doing that."

Insert "test and trace" for "wear masks", same response. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sand said:

That's great.  Probably a pipe dream but the general wisdom is that these bugs evolve into less virulent forms over time.  One can only hope that were starting to see that.

I think it is more the fact that new cases are kids at bars and gyms.  Younger population.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I will say, I appreciate the irony of the people #####ing about being shut down are pretty much the same people #####ing about having to wear a mask anywhere.  At least that's the local observation.

If @Mr Anonymous returns to this thread, I know he'll have some choice words for those who want it both ways -- everything opened up like February, but no face coverings either.

Those folks probably each want warm apple pie and a pony, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went into Home Depot (MN) to grab a couple things at lunch.  Place was packed, as it’s been for the past three months every time I’ve been there.  I was floored at the amount of people not wearing a mask, to the point I decided to count how many customers I saw that were actually wearing a mask during my 15 minutes in the store.  

Two.  That’s it.  Two other customers out of at least a hundred people I saw were wearing a mask.  It’s just dumbfounding.  

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, matuski said:

I think it is more the fact that new cases are kids at bars and gyms.  Younger population.

This kind of thing is only allowed in New Orleans.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.