What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (5 Viewers)

The thing is, I am more than capable of looking at the available data sources and seeing a declining death count in the face of rising cases suggesting, at a minimum, the all age IFR was vastly overstated and is in the 0.2% to 0.6% range not the 2 to 6% range.  No matter how the right wing uses verbal diarrhea and hyperbole to make their points, it doesn't make the core arguments invalid.  

I'm willing to W2W ad  infinitum, but at some point it gets absurd. It's time to start admitting that the IFR is perhaps an order of magnitude lower than was initially reported, that the initial response should not drive today's decision process, and/or this thing simply has gotten weaker as a whole.

There will be hot spots and there will be deaths.  Some at a young age.  It happens.  There are reasonable methods to avoid this as much as is practical. There are a shocking number of people that are not doing the most basic things, and that's regrettable.  

Policy needs to be directed at the low hanging fruit, masks, keep people out of indoor restaurants, churches, etc.  Then see what we can do about schools, because it's not looking good.
There isn't a declining death count in breakout areas. 

I have seen nothing that supports what you are arguing.  I would ask you to provide a link to this "substantial evidence".
Look at the CDC data, back it up your two weeks.  Tell me how correlated the deaths are to cases.  You don't even have to make it a regression, but if you would like I could probably arrange that for you.   

Case counts are your leading indicator for hospitilizations/deaths. By the time you are getting the latter numbers it  is far too late.
I would ask to provide a link to this, as I think there is substantial evidence that this is not true to the extent that it matters.

Covid-19 cases are rising, but deaths are falling. What’s going on? (Vox.com, 7/6/2020)

Even if death rates stay low in the near term, that doesn’t mean the risk of Covid-19 has evaporated. Thousands of Americans being hospitalized in the past few weeks with a disease that makes it hard to breathe is not a time to declare victory. Young people, who account for a bigger share of the recent cases, aren’t at nearly as high a risk of dying from the virus, but some small number of them will still die and a larger number will end up in the hospital. Early research also suggests that people infected with the coronavirus experience lung damage and other long-term complications that could lead to health problems down the road, even if they don’t experience particularly bad symptoms during their illness.

And as long as the virus is spreading in the community, there is an increased risk that it will find its way to the more vulnerable populations.

“More infected people means faster spread throughout society,” Kumi Smith, who studies infectious diseases at the University of Minnesota, told me. “And the more this virus spreads the more likely it is to eventually reach and infect someone who may die or be severely harmed by it.”

This presents a communications challenge. Sadly, as Smith put it, “please abstain from things you like to benefit others in ways that you may not be able to see or feel” is not an easy message for people to accept after three-plus months in relative isolation.

Why Covid-19 deaths aren’t rising along with cases — yet

The contradiction between these two curves — case numbers sloping upward, death counts downward — is the primary reason some people are agitating to accelerate, not slow down, reopening in the face of these new coronavirus spikes.

The most important thing to understand is that this is actually to be expected. There is a long lag — as long as six weeks, experts told me — between when a person gets infected and when their death would be reported in the official tally.

“Why aren’t today’s deaths trending in the same way today’s cases are trending? That’s completely not the way to think about it,” Eleanor Murray, an epidemiologist at Boston University, told me. “Today’s cases represent infections that probably happened a week or two ago. Today’s deaths represent cases that were diagnosed possibly up to a month ago, so infections that were up to six weeks ago or more.

“Some people do get infected and die quickly, but the majority of people who die, it takes a while,” Murray continued. “It’s not a matter of a one-week lag between cases and deaths. We expect something more on the order of a four-, five-, six-week lag.”

As Whet Moser wrote for the Covid Tracking Project last week, the recent spikes in case counts really took off around June 18 and 19. So we would not expect them to show up in the death data yet.

“Hospitalizations and deaths are both lagging indicators, because it takes time to progress through the course of illness,” Caitlin Rivers at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security told me late last week. “The recent surge started around two weeks ago, so it’s too soon to be confident that we won’t see an uptick in hospitalizations and deaths.”

The national numbers can also obscure local trends. According to the Covid Tracking Project, hospitalizations are spiking in the South and West, but, at the same time, they are dropping precipitously in the Northeast, the initial epicenter of the US outbreak.

"Miami-Dade: Third day now of flat COVID patient volume once again driven by lots of discharges (nearly 400 in the last two days, which is unprecedented). That is, for now, outpacing "patients added," which is still elevated (369 in the last two days)."

https://mobile.twitter.com/conarck/status/1280916763178348545
Discharges outpacing patients added is one of the first metrics that point to successfully beating the thing back. That's exactly the time to stay at home as much as possible, wear masks 100%, stay far away from people, almost to act like there is a shutdown, and act like you have it and that everyone has it.

3-4 weeks of that behavior, coupled with discharges exceeding new patients, is a good formula. Rooting for Miami-Dade. 

There isn't a declining death count in breakout areas. 
It's not correlated to the case count, the IFR is still dropping.  Even in hot spots.  I mean Florida is the best example of this.  

Maybe they are cooking their books, but I just have to deal with the information we have.  

It's not correlated to the case count, the IFR is still dropping.  Even in hot spots.  I mean Florida is the best example of this.  

Maybe they are cooking their books, but I just have to deal with the information we have.  
COVID cases are absolutely correlated with COVID deaths. The former is a neccesary cause for the latter. That correlation may be changing as more testing gets you closer to an accurate death rate, but to say they are not correlated is patently false.

Last edited by a moderator:
COVID cases are absolutely correlated with COVID deaths. The former is a neccesary cause for the latter. That correlation may be changing as more testing gets you closer to an accurate death rate, but to say they are not correlated is patently false.
Correlations at some point lose a significance, or lose their significance below certain thresholds.  That is what is happening.  IFR is dropping so fast that the correlation is weaker, to the point that you could either suppose the virus is weaker or we over-estimated it's impact.  That was poor word choice on my part.  

The median death is at 13-14 days from infection.  If that's changed slightly fine, but it doesn't allow room for "Wait six weeks" in any situation.   You still have to apply whatever the median Infection to fatality number there is.
Wait six weeks is the new wait two weeks.

Its almost like somebody has stressed this point. He shall remain anonymous. 

You're dealing with information overload, and are struggling to put it all together.  It's because you're trying to listen to both sides of this thing.  It's got your mind all clouded, I can tell.  I talk to a lot of people about this.

We've known for 3 months that the IFR is around 1%.  I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.  The reported fatality rate will never come close to what we saw in New York, because they couldn't test back then.

Ultimately that's where many people get confused. Back in the day, New York was reporting 10k cases a day and 1k cases a day.  Florida is reporting 10k cases a day and 50 deaths a day.  

Certain people out there take that difference and use it to get likes/follows/retweets, but they never think about why that is.

The reality is that New York didn't have 10k cases a day, they had 50-100k cases a day, they just weren't reporting them.

You have to start at square one and think about what this virus does. It infects a host, and a certain percentage of people get hospitalized.  Then when people totally give out, a certain % of those die.  Those deaths sometime happen fast, and they often happen many weeks, or sometimes months later.

Right now the people dying in Florida, for the most part, caught this virus 2 or more weeks ago. 2 weeks ago Florida set a record of 5,511 cases in one day.  Even if we assumed that their records were perfect (meaning they are testing everyone perfectly), that would only be about 55 deaths from those cases.

In the last two weeks, Florida has not increased their testing.  The % positive has skrocketed, and the cases per day have doubled.  (the average age has also  gone up)

If there are more cases, more people will die.  I don't know what to tell you, it's that's simple.  If you deny that, you're literally denying the facts.

The median death is at 13-14 days from infection.  If that's changed slightly fine, but it doesn't allow room for "Wait six weeks" in any situation.   You still have to apply whatever the median Infection to fatality number there is.
If correct, then like clockwork deaths are starting to rise just when we'd expect them to.  That's why it's a certainty that deaths will rise over the next week, because we had more cases last week than we did two weeks ago.

Source?

With an incubation phase of up to 14 days there is literally 0% chance the median death is two weeks after infection. 

I tried answering the "what is the goal" question yesterday by pointing to the metrics NY is using and providing links to those metrics and definitions. I realize now that isn't what you're asking. 

To answer your micro-question about cases: raw case counts are not a truly reliable metric, because obviously raw cases is a function of testing. That's where certain people's heads are, they say "more cases are coming up because we're testing more". Thankfully, math has an answer for that. The metric to use here is % Positive Cases. It requires an adequate number of tests. If you test 50,000 people and 500 are positive, the % Positive rate is 1.0%. If you test 20,000 people and 400 are positive, the % Positive rate is 2.0%. "Would you rather have 400 positive tests or 500 positive tests?" In this example, I would prefer to have the 500 positive tests out of 50,000 rather than the 400 positive tests out of 20,000. So the answer isn't "cases", it's % Positives.

The macro question of what is the goal? Maybe it should be better defined, but reasonably: 1) low fatalities, 2) low hospitalizations (measured by available capacity), and 3) a low % Positive rate.

Every region will have a definition or acceptance of what is "low". In NY, the % positive rate is around 1%, there are 850 people in the hospital statewide, less than 200 in ICU, and deaths have been in the single digits recently (last 7-10 days or so).

Is that acceptable to keep moving forward? Maybe that's more rhetorical, but if I were other states I'd be taking a long hard look at what NY and Europe did to control the spread. Because it worked.
Yep, and the part in red is a big factor, IMO, especially in trying to predict fatalities as an outcome.

Overall hospitalizations going up (in a state) aren't going to necessarily lead to a large increase in deaths, simply because some (or most, even) of the hospitalizations may be in areas that were vastly under their capacity at the time. That context matters greatly. 

Source?

With an incubation phase of up to 14 days there is literally 0% chance the median death is two weeks after infection. 
I'd love a source as well.  I found a WHO document that says that death ranges from 2-8 weeks AFTER symptom onset (not infection), but I'm sure no one wants to hear what they have to say about it.

At what point do we get to stop politely ignoring the idiots who can't figure out what to do in a grocery store?

The store near me has had arrows in the aisles since AT LEAST the middle of April. They're very clear and  easy to follow. There are signs referencing them all over the store.  Yet every freaking time I go in, at least 30% of the people are going the wrong way. Its absolute lunacy.

Just now, I'm in the middle of a trip and there's a well dressed woman in her 40's dragging two kids behind her. No cart, so she's obviously just there for a couple of things. And of course, she's going the wrong way (I saw her in 3 separate aisles). She's in her own little world in the rice aisle and (after waiting 20 seconds)  I politely say "excuse me" so i can go by her  (going the right way). She doesn't hear me/ignores me, so I just try to pass. Of course....THEN she backs up into me. She apologizes and I say "its ok, but you're going the wrong way". I guess she thought I said that I was going the wrong way and she says "that's ok". I could have just kept walking, but I'm getting kinda tired of this so I respond...."No.....YOU'RE going the wrong way". She claims she didn't see the arrows. They've been up for at least 3 months.

Then I turn to the next aisle and THREE people are going the wrong way. 

We're honestly doomed if these are the people we need to cater to.
They put stickers on the floor in my local grocery store, but there is no other signage nor anyone enforcing it.  I can't really tell if people are following it. I personally am not religiously following it.  Seems like more of a risk for me to be in the store to walk 2 extra one way aisles for something that I could grab in 5 seconds.  

I was raised Catholic so I have an appreciation for following arbitrary rules that don't seem to make sense but everyone does it mostly so that they can shame those that don't.  This feels like that category.  I don't put masks and social distancing in that category.

Source?

Using Wuhan and Princess Cruise ship figures, which may be the most "pure" this was the estimate at the time.  Willing to hear otherwise.  13-14 days as the median came out of the cruise ship.  I've yet to see it refuted.

https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/9/2/538

To the extent that cases are well matched with deaths I would present this

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7286834/#bib0005

They propose that deaths x7 - some time scale = cases.  It's also compelling and would like some review of this.  It would also suggest a overall CFR of 0.17% which is less than the flu.  Also, they would suggest that deaths lag to a constant CFR in a matter of days, not weeks.  Each country has their own lag, at that time it was 4 days for the US.  

They put stickers on the floor in my local grocery store, but there is no other signage nor anyone enforcing it.  I can't really tell if people are following it. I personally am not religiously following it.  Seems like more of a risk for me to be in the store to walk 2 extra one way aisles for something that I could grab in 5 seconds.  

I was raised Catholic so I have an appreciation for following arbitrary rules that don't seem to make sense but everyone does it mostly so that they can shame those that don't.  This feels like that category.  I don't put masks and social distancing in that category.
This makes no sense to me.

By restricting traffic to one way, you are allowing for easier social distancing. If you allow people to go both ways, that becomes impossible. (based on the width of most grocery store aisles)

This isn't arbitrary at all.

This makes no sense to me.

By restricting traffic to one way, you are allowing for easier social distancing. If you allow people to go both ways, that becomes impossible. (based on the width of most grocery store aisles)

This isn't arbitrary at all.
The stores around here have gone to one way nearly exclusively.   Seems to make sense.  The issue is the checkout.  Still letting way too many people into that area.  

According to the CDC...

Mean number of days from symptom onset to death

0-49 years: 14.9 

50-64 years: 15.3 

≥65 years: 12.9 

So add 5.4 days and that is time from infection to death. For the purposes of seeing positive test result though to death, 14 days seems very accurate and 6 weeks is absurd. 

According to the CDC...

Mean number of days from symptom onset to death

0-49 years: 14.9 

50-64 years: 15.3 

≥65 years: 12.9 

So add 5.4 days and that is time from infection to death. For the purposes of seeing positive test result though to death, 14 days seems very accurate and 6 weeks is absurd. 
So the average is 2 weeks. 6 weeks is certainly not the norm, but it does happen.

Not sure why direction matters. Closeness is the issue. I can be close or far regardless of the direction I'm going.

If it's a one-way aisle, am I allowed to pass someone in the aisle in front of me? If so, I don't see why I can't pass them going the opposite direction.

So, roughly half of all who will die from a given round of infection will take longer than 13-14 days to expire?

Besides, the literature suggests that the figure is more chaotic than a simple median can account for. A 391-case Chinese study (The Lancet, 4/27/2020) reported the following on their first three deaths:

Based on 228 cases with known outcomes, we estimated that median time to recovery was 20·8 days (95% CI 20·1–21·5). We estimated that the median time to recovery was 22·4 days (95% CI 20·8–24·1) in individuals aged 50–59 years, and was estimated to be significantly shorter in younger adults (eg, 19·2 days in individuals aged 20–29 years; appendix 2 pp 3, 10). In multiple regression models including sex, age, baseline severity, and method of detection, in addition to age, baseline severity was associated with time to recovery (appendix 2 p 3). Compared to cases with mild symptoms, those with severe symptoms had a 41% (95% CI 24–60) longer time to recovery (appendix 2 p 3). As of Feb 22, 2020, three cases had died. These deaths occurred 35–44 days from symptom onset and 27–33 days from confirmation.

Using Wuhan and Princess Cruise ship figures, which may be the most "pure" this was the estimate at the time.  Willing to hear otherwise.  13-14 days as the median came out of the cruise ship.  I've yet to see it refuted.

To the extent that cases are well matched with deaths I would present this

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7286834/#bib0005

They propose that deaths x7 - some time scale = cases.  It's also compelling and would like some review of this.  It would also suggest a overall CFR of 0.17% which is less than the flu.  Also, they would suggest that deaths lag to a constant CFR in a matter of days, not weeks.  Each country has their own lag, at that time it was 4 days for the US.  
In the abstract of your first link it says the median death is 13 days AFTER onset of illness. 

Also, since most people aren't NBA players they get to wait 7-10 days for test results to come back. Deaths aren't also reported the day they happen. So today's cases that are being reported are infections from weeks ago and today's deaths are likely the same. 

This has followed an EXTREMELY predictable path as far as more cases leads (still climbing) to more hospitalizations (already happening) and then more deaths. I don't get how you're trying to argue this time is going to be different. 

If correct, then like clockwork deaths are starting to rise just when we'd expect them to.  That's why it's a certainty that deaths will rise over the next week, because we had more cases last week than we did two weeks ago.
Yes, deaths will rise with more and more infections. Nobody is arguing they won't. The magnitude of the rise is quite relevant, however, and thus far it is nothing like what we saw out of New York. 

It's an unfair argument to simply say 'deaths will rise, it's a fact' and not include the fact that it's just a sliver of what was seen in New York. 

peak NY: 51 deaths/day/mm 7 day MA TX: 1.43 FL: 2.25 CA: 1.69

https://twitter.com/boriquagato/status/1280871098028920833

So, roughly half of all who will die from a given round of infection will take longer than 13-14 days to expire?

Besides, the literature suggests that the figure is more chaotic than a simple median can account for. A 391-case Chinese study (The Lancet, 4/27/2020) reported the following on their first three deaths:
I mean I don't really see how this makes the wait six weeks argument valid, using 3 anecdotal cases out of China from March.

Really enjoying this Osterholm podcast - one thing he keeps repeating is, "what is our goal?".  And the moderator point blank asks him what to do - here is what is really scary to me, he doesn't really have a good answer.  This guy is supposed to be a leading expert and he doesn't have an answer.  At different times he says we need to protect the vunerable but he also thinks we should open schools.  If I'm following everything he seems to suggest that we need to just accept that we have to live with this and work to reduce hotspots until there's a vaccine. 
I have come to like it quite a bit as well. I like that he is no longer very strong in any of his opinions. He obviously learned from some of his early assertions. You can tell by how often he brings up New Zealand that he regrets what he said about travel bans causing more harm than good. 

He says we need to learn to live with this virus. Says he understands that as many people as possible need to be back to work, but we need to pick the highest risk businesses and shut them down. Then immediately stresses that this is inherently unfair and that in exchange for being shutdown those specific industries need to be compensated. 

He seems to try and cover every angle of things and stresses repeatedly that he just doesnt know for sure. 

Yes, deaths will rise with more and more infections. Nobody is arguing they won't. The magnitude of the rise is quite relevant, however, and thus far it is nothing like what we saw out of New York. 

It's an unfair argument to simply say 'deaths will rise, it's a fact' and not include the fact that it's just a sliver of what was seen in New York. 

peak NY: 51 deaths/day/mm 7 day MA TX: 1.43 FL: 2.25 CA: 1.69

https://twitter.com/boriquagato/status/1280871098028920833
Some are arguing that.  And Florida is currently nowhere near where NY was, I'm not arguing that they are.  But they can get there (on proportional level) if they don't change what they are doing.   

In the abstract of your first link it says the median death is 13 days AFTER onset of illness. 

Also, since most people aren't NBA players they get to wait 7-10 days for test results to come back. Deaths aren't also reported the day they happen. So today's cases that are being reported are infections from weeks ago and today's deaths are likely the same. 

This has followed an EXTREMELY predictable path as far as more cases leads (still climbing) to more hospitalizations (already happening) and then more deaths. I don't get how you're trying to argue this time is going to be different. 
13 days after onset or symptoms is a minor concern. CDC is still using the roughly 2ish week figure.  Nowhere close to six.  

I think there's a lot of talking past each other because 1. most of us aren't experts and 2. we aren't using precise language.  Of course a COVID case relates to a COVID death - I agree with you.  But we can take things to an extreme to show that the conversation is more complex.  Say I went overboard with a certain persons suggestion and stopped testing living people completely and only test someone after they die.  My new cases and deaths are now 100% correlated.  As we introduce changes in that - testing some subset and treating those who test positively differently than previous cases we make the correlation murky.  I'm thinking that what culdeus is saying is that we just don't know enough yet to say if we are at a point where those changes we are introducing will potentially impact the correlation to a point where we see positive results.  I tend to think we haven't and deaths will rise but not like they did in other locations.

This was the best post of the page, and probably where we should leave this side tangent.

Did someone say 6 weeks was an average?  If so, I missed that post.
Doug quoted an article suggesting we should wait six weeks to evaluate the death counts.  It started a separate trail.  When Doug puts a ton of block quotes in a post it makes it nearly impossible to respond to directly so it splinters the conversation to some extent (board issue)

I have come to like it quite a bit as well. I like that he is no longer very strong in any of his opinions. He obviously learned from some of his early assertions. You can tell by how often he brings up New Zealand that he regrets what he said about travel bans causing more harm than good. 

He says we need to learn to live with this virus. Says he understands that as many people as possible need to be back to work, but we need to pick the highest risk businesses and shut them down. Then immediately stresses that this is inherently unfair and that in exchange for being shutdown those specific industries need to be compensated. 

He seems to try and cover every angle of things and stresses repeatedly that he just doesnt know for sure. 
Don't know about you but I'm of two minds on this.  One, I like that somebody, even someone as knowledgable as him, doesn't come across as knowing everything - it makes me trust him more.  YMMV.  Howerver, it scares the #### out of me that someone that is supposed to be an expert can't really tell us more. 

Doug quoted an article suggesting we should wait six weeks to evaluate the death counts.  It started a separate trail.  When Doug puts a ton of block quotes in a post it makes it nearly impossible to respond to directly so it splinters the conversation to some extent (board issue)
.If 2 weeks is the average, you're not going to get all the deaths in 2 weeks.  A certain percentage of them will happen AFTER two weeks.  That's why most of us have typically said that we have to wait 2-4 weeks to order to see deaths rise. (because at 2 weeks, you only have half the deaths).

Waiting until 6 weeks is fine too, there's nothing wrong with waiting to see.  New York is a great example, we still have deaths coming in from the initial surge (broadway star as an example).  But not many deaths, and not enough to really move the needle.

This isn't difficult.  If accurate testing is happening, 2-4 weeks after a significant rise in cases we should start to see deaths rise.  Which is exactly what we're seeing.

I think there's a lot of talking past each other because 1. most of us aren't experts and 2. we aren't using precise language.  Of course a COVID case relates to a COVID death - I agree with you.  But we can take things to an extreme to show that the conversation is more complex.  Say I went overboard with a certain persons suggestion and stopped testing living people completely and only test someone after they die.  My new cases and deaths are now 100% correlated.  As we introduce changes in that - testing some subset and treating those who test positively differently than previous cases we make the correlation murky.  I'm thinking that what culdeus is saying is that we just don't know enough yet to say if we are at a point where those changes we are introducing will potentially impact the correlation to a point where we see positive results.  I tend to think we haven't and deaths will rise but not like they did in other locations.
Basically yeah,  I feel we have gotten close to the point where we can declare victory in treating this thing. It's trending towards, if not at, a IFR rate that is similar or weaker than the worst flus we have seen in the last 50 years.  Yes, the long term damage to survivors are regrettable, and if you want to lump those into some other greater figure I can get on board.

The real question is really what public policy can be instituted or should be in light of the weak(end) IFR.  And how do you manage schools and school age kids, and workplaces that are not WFH friendlyish.  Is it worth even shutting down schools for cases?  Workplaces?  

Basically yeah,  I feel we have gotten close to the point where we can declare victory in treating this thing. It's trending towards, if not at, a IFR rate that is similar or weaker than the worst flus we have seen in the last 50 years.  Yes, the long term damage to survivors are regrettable, and if you want to lump those into some other greater figure I can get on board.

The real question is really what public policy can be instituted or should be in light of the weak(end) IFR.  And how do you manage schools and school age kids, and workplaces that are not WFH friendlyish.  Is it worth even shutting down schools for cases?  Workplaces?  
Opinions like this are why the USA is struggling to fight this thing.  

culdeus said:
CR69 said:
Source?

You wrote upthread:

"The median death is at 13-14 days from infection."

The MDPI.com link you just posted has this, last sentence of the abstract:

The median time delay of 13 days from illness onset to death (17 days with right truncation) should be considered when estimating the COVID-19 case fatality risk.

EDIT: Looks like CR69 addressed it already.

Haven't followed the discussion closely but I've seen the "6 week" thing mentioned in relation to the likely time lag between certain large gatherings and death spikes because it accounts for several iterations of transmission, e.g. a bunch of 20 year olds go party on the beach and COVID spreads there, most of them won't die but they'll also take it home with them and spread it to their parents, some of whom will die and many of whom will spread it to their elderly parents and then we see an uptick in deaths, etc.  Basically the theory is that we may witness some correlation between infections and deaths over a longer time period than just 2 weeks not because it takes that long for an individual to die, but because it takes that long to spread through their network to people who are more likely to die.  Not making any claims to the validity of the theory, just providing a different way to think about the 6 week thing and where the idea may have come from. 

culdeus said:

I disagree with this for several reasons - the main one being we haven't even lived with it for a year yet.  I'm concerned now - I'm downright scared of what happens this late Fall/Winter if we haven't made any more progress in treatments and stopping larger hotspots like we have now.

shader said:
.If 2 weeks is the average, you're not going to get all the deaths in 2 weeks.  A certain percentage of them will happen AFTER two weeks.  That's why most of us have typically said that we have to wait 2-4 weeks to order to see deaths rise. (because at 2 weeks, you only have half the deaths).

Waiting until 6 weeks is fine too, there's nothing wrong with waiting to see.  New York is a great example, we still have deaths coming in from the initial surge (broadway star as an example).  But not many deaths, and not enough to really move the needle.

This isn't difficult.  If accurate testing is happening, 2-4 weeks after a significant rise in cases we should start to see deaths rise.  Which is exactly what we're seeing.
That's not how statistics work, we can be fine if we say most of what we expect to happens has happened by a certain time.  This is more or less what I do in my job, on occasion.  

This is a situation where I imagine a Weibull distribution works well.  There is a set time where you expect no defect detection, then they surge, then you have a bleed off of that over time (gamma).  To know if you are getting better you only need to know where the magnitude of the peak, and you can just ignore the gamma.  There's no reason to model the back end because you can already predict what that looks like (and whether you are ####ed or not just based on where the peak is running).

If this is getting more back end pressure (because people are staying alive and dying later) then that is a minor concern.  They probably just shifted from dying in 21 days to 48 days.  Post peak defects tend to stay there, and improvements can at time push the date of those out.  It's not worth changing the current direction over.  

I disagree with this for several reasons - the main one being we haven't even lived with it for a year yet.  I'm concerned now - I'm downright scared of what happens this late Fall/Winter if we haven't made any more progress in treatments and stopping larger hotspots like we have now.
Glass half full would say that there seems no seasonal pause in the summer, so a seasonal peak in the winter is unexpected.  

culdeus said:
I mean I don't really see how this makes the wait six weeks argument valid, using 3 anecdotal cases out of China from March.
I didn't post the Lancet article to support "six weeks!". I posted it to support "longer than two weeks".

However, I do think the "six weeks" things has something to it. IMHO, it's not that a lot of people will get infected today and then start dying in six weeks. It's more like Carrier A gets infected today, then infects Carrier B in five days who infects someone else ... and then Carrier G gets infected and passes within a few weeks of their own infection -- which took place two weeks or so after Carrier A's infection.

When case counts inflate ... it's not necessarily the cases you can confirm right this second that make up your entire cohort of infected persons. There's also the secondary people to whom the known carriers have already spread it -- and the people the secondary people spread it to. And so on.

That's one giant reason to keep track of confirmed case numbers and for communities to try and keep raw cases down -- confirmed case numbers are proxies for the number of infections you can't see or account for. But those infections can and do still spread all the same.

EDIT: Or what Ignoratio Elenchi posted above.

Users who are viewing this thread