What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

Angry mom from Pa is mad hershey park is requiring all guests to wear masks or a face shield. No exceptions.

Kid has autism so he can't.  Which I am totally empathetic towards.

But maybe this isn't the best time to be taking your kid to an amusement park if you can't meet their specifications
I say this all the time, if you need a mask to sit outside at the beach with nobody around you, just stay home. 

If you need to wear a mask outside to play Tennis, just stay home. 

But they are socially conditioning folks to feel like they have a right to do things. All mask mandates have a clear list of exceptions and many of them involve children under 6, religion, you can't really enforce it. I could claim religion HOWEVER I don't want to anger the whole grocery store and would prefer to just wear it and deal with it for a little while longer(Truthfully I'm wearing it to protect myself)...that's starting to become all of the rest of 2020 and into 2021 at the rate we are going. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What I appreciate most about you as a poster is that you are grounded enough to realize I'm not downplaying this virus and never have. For some reason, we're being spoon fed the worst of everything as though if we're told things like deaths are flat or declining for 11 straight weeks, that we'll be unable to process it. Or if we hear that hospitals deal with surges every year and many in the U.S. never even had one this year, that we'll claim victory. It is possible to be truthful about where things stand and deal with all the numbers, not just the most alarmist ones, while promoting responsibility and the usage of masks. And yes it is OK to contemplate if the residual damage our reaction is doing outweighs the virus itself, especially when allowed to be aware that this is what hospitals are built to do, and do on a yearly basis.
Some valid points. One difference from the seasonal flu (which sometimes overtaxes hospitals, especially rural ones, as seen in Netflix's Pandemic) is that there is no vaccine. Lots of older frontline workers in Miami are scared because the virus is everywhere, a few have retired. Some younger ones are concerned for their families, such as a child with asthma or a sick or obese spouse. This is from contacts I have at 2 large hospitals in Miami. 

My roommate works at a high-end pre-school in Broward and I was surprised that many parents are opting against sending their 4 yo kids to school in the fall. They're all 2-parent families, have mostly white-collar jobs, or flexible hours, so they have that option. Many parents don't have the option of working and keeping their kids at home.

The sky is not falling, but this is not the seasonal flu. Deaths have been trending up in Florida to about 70 per day, for the 7-day moving average, which is not April numbers from the NE, but not burnout either. 

Huh - trust you or the words of a bunch of doctors/nurses on the frontline

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=covid+doctor+never+seen+anything+like+this

I mean - sure you talk with confidence anonymously on a fantasy football message board but these other people are being interviewed and putting their names and reputations in the public.  What to think....hmm, I guess we'll never know.
Maybe they haven't - those specific few people that are part of those particular interviews.  I'm also guessing that the ones that have seen this before don't get the same press today.  That doesn't mean others, in other locations, in other specialties, have not.  They are not mutually inclusive.

The absurdity from all sides is making me both laugh and want to punch someone.

Being "made" to wear something isn't communism. You're required to wear clothes, Cletus, else it's indecent exposure. No, you can't do everything you want whenever you want wherever you want. 

Conversely putting on a mask does not engage some Star Trek style force field around you. Many act like "mask on...BOOM! Now I'm safe!" and "Look at me, protecting all humanity..."

The irrationality of it all is just becoming a freak show. 

Being "made" to wear something isn't communism. You're required to wear clothes, Cletus, else it's indecent exposure. No, you can't do everything you want whenever you want wherever you want. 

Conversely putting on a mask does not engage some Star Trek style force field around you. Many act like "mask on...BOOM! Now I'm safe!" and "Look at me, protecting all humanity..."

Exactly.  You can't smoke in many buildings or even outdoor public areas any more due to the risk to others - this is no different.  If you want to get yourself sick or killed go right on ahead.  But the moment those actions jeopardize me, my family, or any one of a bajillion other innocent people then you can just gtf right o.

Darwin is somewhere taking very detailed notes.

What I appreciate most about you as a poster is that you are grounded enough to realize I'm not downplaying this virus and never have. For some reason, we're being spoon fed the worst of everything as though if we're told things like deaths are flat or declining for 11 straight weeks, that we'll be unable to process it. Or if we hear that hospitals deal with surges every year and many in the U.S. never even had one this year, that we'll claim victory. It is possible to be truthful about where things stand and deal with all the numbers, not just the most alarmist ones, while promoting responsibility and the usage of masks. And yes it is OK to contemplate if the residual damage our reaction is doing outweighs the virus itself, especially when allowed to be aware that this is what hospitals are built to do, and do on a yearly basis.
But it stems from the fact that some folks feel every one of these deaths is/was preventable and it's difficult at best to sit and argue with anyone who feels that way. There's just too much emotion bottled up into it and I don't disagree but my main sticking point is indoors vs outside in the heat exercising as an example. I'm starting to feel like even outdoor seating at restaurants, shut it all down for now. I'm not naive that people gather and if folks are standing on top of each other even outdoors, it poses a problem, again I don't need it explained to me. But at the same time, folks wearing masks riding bikes in the middle of the countryside, yeah that feels weird to me. And there are mask mandates in States that want the bikers wearing them outdoors right now, at least that's I interpret the Pennsylvania mask mandate, and if I am wrong I hope those folks correct me because as it stands, I think the minute you leave the door you are required to wear it. MLB Rays' Catcher  was discussing the difference between there and Florida in an article i was reading, kind of fascinating the stark contrast in styles being used to govern each State. 

And then there are the airports  :whistle:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2488-1_reference.pdf

We found that none of the children under 10 years of age who took part in the study tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection at either survey, despite at least 13 of them living together with infected family members (Extended Data Table 3).

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2006100

Children under 10 years of age were less likely to receive a positive result than were persons 10 years of age or older, with percentages of 6.7% and 13.7%, respectively, for targeted testing; in the population screening, no child under 10 years of age had a positive result, as compared with 0.8% of those 10 years of age or older.
Thanks....the first seems to be more of the anecdotes (not trying to diminish them by the way).  This second one seems to be evidence overall contagion among kids correct?  Thanks for these...reading through the first one now.

I think the lack of a strong, consistent message on masks is what’s causing this. Look back to what they did with hand washing and social distancing. If they had done the same with masks, the amount of disinformation wouldn’t be so prevalent and effective. Lots of people are posting images about what virologists wear for PPE and how ineffective cloth masks are at keeping the virus out. It works because a lot of people think they are wearing the masks to protect themselves, not to protect others. 

I think the lack of a strong, consistent message on masks is what’s causing this. Look back to what they did with hand washing and social distancing. If they had done the same with masks, the amount of disinformation wouldn’t be so prevalent and effective. Lots of people are posting images about what virologists wear for PPE and how ineffective cloth masks are at keeping the virus out. It works because a lot of people think they are wearing the masks to protect themselves, not to protect others. 
Lack of consistent messaging on anything pertaining to the best practices to getting out of this...from masks to following the "guidelines".  It continues to be true that those who were/are shouting that we need to follow the guidelines AND mask protocols are right.  If you're in the either/or camp at this point the only rational explanation is your political lens is fogging up your view.  It's really weird.  

Lack of consistent messaging on anything pertaining to the best practices to getting out of this...from masks to following the "guidelines".  It continues to be true that those who were/are shouting that we need to follow the guidelines AND mask protocols are right.  If you're in the either/or camp at this point the only rational explanation is your political lens is fogging up your view.  It's really weird.  
It's a matter of cognitive dissonance.

Communication majors should study this for decades.

@shader has been very patiently illustrating for weeks why this is a misleading statistic.  Maybe you’ve missed his many posts showing deaths steadily increasing in a subset of states.
Of course if you break things down into tiny segments you'll find some that are having spikes. That doesn't change the fact that we're seeing nothing like what we saw in March not only as a whole but even on a micro, local level.

Why is everyone so eager to parse things to try and highlight the worst?

So we had a family of 4 close friends over yesterday (outside). They found out this morning that their nanny was in contact with someone with Covid. She is getting tested tomorrow apparently. Now, I’m a couple of levels away from needing to get tested myself and I feel like we mostly maintained distance yesterday but do I, for example; skip my golf league tomorrow? I want to be safe but not sure if that is overkill.

Of course if you break things down into tiny segments you'll find some that are having spikes. That doesn't change the fact that we're seeing nothing like what we saw in March not only as a whole but even on a micro, local level.

I think the states he’s tracking make up about half the country, not a tiny segment.  We’re eager to have accurate information.  Often that means highlighting crappy stuff, sorry if that’s a downer.

This is sort of fence-sitting. If masks don't help significantly ... then they're probably a waste of time and effort. What do you, yourself, think?

Front line workers and others are seeing the exponential rise in positive cases and feeling vulnerable, especially the older ones. Florida and Miami aren't tiny segments.

I think the states he’s tracking make up about half the country, not a tiny segment.  We’re eager to have accurate information.  Often that means highlighting crappy stuff, sorry if that’s a downer.
I picked 21 states that were having "case spikes".  If they weren't having case spikes, I didn't pick them.  I probably need to go back and go through all 50 states again to make sure they all qualify, but there's only one way deaths are going to spike, and that's if cases spike.  So the criteria was self-evident.

But I'm not surprised some would make cherry-picking accusations.  When your narrative falls apart, you gotta move the goalposts.

@shader has been very patiently illustrating for weeks why this is a misleading statistic.  Maybe you’ve missed his many posts showing deaths steadily increasing in a subset of states.
:goodposting:  Somehow talking about the obvious hotspots is parsing data despite making it crystal clear that we are talking specifically about the hotspots and not the country as a whole.  This country is huge...this is going to be a regional issue for a pretty long time based on everything we've seen.  That does NOT mean the country as a whole is going to ####.  Plenty of places doing well.  What's not helpful is the lack of self awareness in those who look at their own little bubble of where they live and extrapolate the "we should be doing...." stuff out to the entire country based on one little anecdotal pocket.  

The hotspots are a problem and focusing on their actions/inactions go a long way in getting out of the problem.  Trying to ignore any of that is counterproductive and actually worse than the whack-a-mole approach we seem to be taking.

He's talking about cases which aren't resulting in the same scale of deaths which we saw months ago. Yet still predicting that they're coming. And he's been predicting it for months now. With no accounting for what's changed and why a massive number of cases does not auto-equal deaths. An entire facet of this situation is being completely ignored. The question is - for what reason? Is it to perpetuate fear longer? Is it innocent ignorance? Is it a failure to account for all data out of precaution?

Front line workers and others are seeing the exponential rise in positive cases and feeling vulnerable, especially the older ones. Florida and Miami aren't tiny segments.
Every hospital in Florida is not full, nor every hospital in Miami. We have known from the start there will be hot pockets and places where hospitals fill up. And that happens literally every year somewhere in the U.S. The system is built to adjust and handle it. 

He's talking about cases which aren't resulting in the same scale of deaths which we saw months ago. Yet still predicting that they're coming. And he's been predicting it for months now. With no accounting for what's changed and why a massive number of cases does not auto-equal deaths. An entire facet of this situation is being completely ignored. The question is - for what reason? Is it to perpetuate fear longer? Is it innocent ignorance? Is it a failure to account for all data out of precaution?
You two are talking past each other - he never said we'd see that scale - he just said deaths would rise and they have.  I will say shader didn't seem optimistic that we could (added) much see lower rates.  That's why I think you're talking past each other.  How about we bottom line it - we aren't doing well even if we are doing "better" than NY was.  In fact, we are doing horribly by comparison to other countries and we appear hellbent on making in worse or at least not much better.

@shader and @Mr Anonymous should each make a prediction about what the relevant stats will look like on August 1 and then we can compare results and see which of them has a better handle on the situation.
I really don't want to get drawn into more predictions.  This all stems from sometime in June where I expressed frustration with the IMHE model that said there would be 180k deaths by October.  I said that there'd probably be 180k deaths by the end of July at the rate things were going.  

The thing is, this isn't about me, or Mr A.  I'm not trying to win a battle. That prediction I made will likely be very wrong, and that's cool.  I'm not doing this to get likes, or be seen as an expert, because I'm nowhere close to an expert

I do hope that there are some people that see the numbers I post and decide to be a little more cautious.  My opinion is irrelevant and I'd love nothing more than to be wrong.  But I'm not wrong, because the science is pretty settled on covid-19, how it works, how many it kills, etc.  

I'm trying not to make any more predictions because this isn't about me, or whether I"m right or wrong (I've been both many times in this thread).  It's about this virus and how we can get rid of it.

So we had a family of 4 close friends over yesterday (outside). They found out this morning that their nanny was in contact with someone with Covid. She is getting tested tomorrow apparently. Now, I’m a couple of levels away from needing to get tested myself and I feel like we mostly maintained distance yesterday but do I, for example; skip my golf league tomorrow? I want to be safe but not sure if that is overkill.
Just my opinion, but even if it is bordering on overkill, it would still be the prudent thing to do until you know for sure. As it stands, you have had prolonged direct exposure to multiple individuals with confirmed contact with a carrier. Yes, it is a degree of separation away so risk is a little lower, but this is also how it spreads.

I'll refer to some good friends of ours, that I mentioned in an earlier post - their younger son had confirmed exposure, sounds similar to what you are describing where it was primarily outdoors but still over an extended period - the entire family is being prudent and choosing to isolate for 14 days to be safe (which for sure your friends with the nanny should be doing), and they took the added step of letting everyone they know that they may have had contact with know. This included us as their older son is good friends with my oldest and they mountain bike together, though the dates of contact and the last time the kids were together don't overlap.

You need to decide for yourself, even though it is probably lower risk, but if I was in your golf group and you chose to play anyway, and it turns out you do have it and exposed me, we would not be friends for much longer.

I picked 21 states that were having "case spikes".  If they weren't having case spikes, I didn't pick them.  I probably need to go back and go through all 50 states again to make sure they all qualify, but there's only one way deaths are going to spike, and that's if cases spike.  So the criteria was self-evident.

But I'm not surprised some would make cherry-picking accusations.  When your narrative falls apart, you gotta move the goalposts.
Moving the goalposts is literally all you do. In the beginning, cases didn't matter because we weren't testing enough. Now we're testing at unprecedented levels and the only thing we're supposed to be focused on is the cases despite the fact the deaths we've heard are coming in mass for months now haven't materialized. And rather than discussing why the deaths aren't coming in the numbers we were told would come with this many cases, we just keep being told by people like you to wait "two weeks". Except two weeks, three weeks, four weeks, five weeks, six weeks, seven weeks pass and deaths have not come in places like Florida, Texas, California like they did in New York. There's a reason the uptick in deaths has been limited and it is flat out never discussed.

You two are talking past each other - he never said we'd see that scale - he just said deaths would rise and they have.  I will say shader didn't seem optimistic that we could (added) much see lower rates.  That's why I think you're talking past each other.  How about we bottom line it - we aren't doing well even if we are doing "better" than NY was.  In fact, we are doing horribly by comparison to other countries and we appear hellbent on making in worse or at least not much better.
We aren't talking past each other, he's lying.  I haven't been predicting it for months now.  I predicted that CASES would rise when states ended lockdowns and people weren't wearing masks.  Around the time of the protests, I was pretty negative about the protests, as I thought they'd spike cases.

We didn't start sounding a warning on deaths again until cases started rising again in Florida. That really didn't start happening until late June.  He keeps throwing the "two weeks" slam out there, when ironically, that prediction has been proven right.  2 weeks after cases across the country started spiking, deaths have started spiking.  No one ever said they'd instantly reach NY levels.  But if precautions aren't taken, the USA is going to blow past 2k deaths a day, unfortunately.

Gyms, salons, churches - all of it 
Sucks for those business owners but I think it's the right call in the hotspots.  Take your medicine now and save some lives and hope we can get the economy going later.

ETA - I wish Georgia would shut down for 3 weeks leading up to school.

Moving the goalposts is literally all you do. In the beginning, cases didn't matter because we weren't testing enough. Now we're testing at unprecedented levels and the only thing we're supposed to be focused on is the cases despite the fact the deaths we've heard are coming in mass for months now haven't materialized. And rather than discussing why the deaths aren't coming in the numbers we were told would come with this many cases, we just keep being told by people like you to wait "two weeks". Except two weeks, three weeks, four weeks, five weeks, six weeks, seven weeks pass and deaths have not come in places like Florida, Texas, California like they did in New York. There's a reason the uptick in deaths has been limited and it is flat out never discussed.
So...there's an uptick in deaths now?

We aren't talking past each other, he's lying.  I haven't been predicting it for months now.  I predicted that CASES would rise when states ended lockdowns and people weren't wearing masks.  Around the time of the protests, I was pretty negative about the protests, as I thought they'd spike cases.

We didn't start sounding a warning on deaths again until cases started rising again in Florida. That really didn't start happening until late June.  He keeps throwing the "two weeks" slam out there, when ironically, that prediction has been proven right.  2 weeks after cases across the country started spiking, deaths have started spiking.  No one ever said they'd instantly reach NY levels.  But if precautions aren't taken, the USA is going to blow past 2k deaths a day, unfortunately.
The reason I said talking past each other is there's a middle ground between everything being ok and reaching NY levels.  I do think there's reason for optimism around average age of Covid cases, better treatments and maybe weaker cases due to some measures.  But optimism doesn't mean we haven't been foolish in opening up too soon and then not reacting quick enough.  NY was a unique scenario and an unfortunate one - mistakes were made.  Unfortunately, we are spending time arguing stupid #### instead of doing the smart thing and getting this under control. 

So...there's an uptick in deaths now?
In isolated places certainly. That's how it works. And we knew it would happen. If a location goes from 3 deaths to 5, it's an uptick but you don't run around screaming that the worst is yet to come. The solution is to respond to flare ups and we are. Very effectively at that. Hospitals are built for it.

The overall data is inarguable though. The "two more weeks" predictions you've been making for two months now haven't come to fruition...

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

The worst week in the U.S. was the week ending April 18th with 16,895 deaths. We've been in decline ever since despite your predictions. That's 12 straight weeks of decline with the number now down to levels normally not even considered a pandemic. And its in spite of multiple states having surges in number of cases which began well over TWO WEEKS ago. Completely ignored by some and completely the opposite of what's been predicted by yourself and others.

The reason I said talking past each other is there's a middle ground between everything being ok and reaching NY levels.  I do think there's reason for optimism around average age of Covid cases, better treatments and maybe weaker cases due to some measures.  But optimism doesn't mean we've been foolish in opening up too soon and then not reacting quick enough.  NY was a unique scenario and an unfortunate one - mistakes were made.  Unfortunately, we are spending time arguing stupid #### instead of doing the smart thing and getting this under control. 
There's definitely reason for optimism.  Covid-19 is not an unstoppable virus.  That's why so many of us are so annoyed.  Many states and countries around the world have done a great job of driving cases down and getting the upper hand on this virus. 

Remdesivir works, to some degree.  Masks and quarantines work and WILL eliminate the virus.

We've even seen that lockdowns, while initially bad for the economy, will not destroy the economy.  Jobs and businesses will come back.  

Even though I believe that this is the exact same virus that it was 2 months ago (kind of obvious), I still think there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

As a great example, California.  That's AWESOME news.  Those steps by the governor will save many lives.  If FL/TX/AZ can follow suit, (as well as my state TN), I'll be ecstatic.

I guess this must be the next phase in the ‘I’m going to find any reason to downplay this’ playbook.

”Just the flu, bro”

”Hydroxychloroquine for everyone!”

”No worries, they’re gonna have a vaccine in a couple months”

”It’s only old people in the nursing homes who were gonna die. Protect them and let everyone else live their lives.”

”The cure is worse than the disease!!!”

”If you’re scared, you can just stay home. We’re gonna open up and go back to normal”

”It’s just young people, they’ll be fine.”

”It’s just a lot of cases where are the hospitalizations and deaths?”

”Hospitals have been overwhelmed before and for other reasons, it just happens sometimes.” <— We’re here now

I think it would just be easier to be honest and admit that you really don’t care about anyone but yourself. That attitude has become acceptable in the US, so there’s really no need to continue with these mental gymnastics.
Don't forget "This will all be gone in the summer when it gets hot - viruses can't stand hot weather" (even though the southern hemisphere of our planet has alternate seasons).

Nation-wide, the increase in cases started about a month ago and an increase in deaths started about a week ago.

You should probably get to deleting some posts. You've got many just like your final sentence there. No matter how many times you say it, it keeps on not happening as has been the trend since mid April.

In isolated places certainly. That's how it works. And we knew it would happen. If a location goes from 3 deaths to 5, it's an uptick but you don't run around screaming that the worst is yet to come. The solution is to respond to flare ups and we are. Very effectively at that. Hospitals are built for it.

The overall data is inarguable though. The "two more weeks" predictions you've been making for two months now haven't come to fruition...

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

The worst week in the U.S. was the week ending April 18th with 16,895 deaths. We've been in decline ever since despite your predictions. That's 12 straight weeks of decline with the number now down to levels normally not even considered a pandemic. And its in spite of multiple states having surges in number of cases which began well over TWO WEEKS ago. Completely ignored by some and completely the opposite of what's been predicted by yourself and others.
I screwed up royally and was looking at wrong numbers.  My bad!

Users who are viewing this thread