What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

Man I’m so tired. Anyone else just done? Almost at the point where I don’t  want to wake up to this #### tomorrow. Just had enough. 
Every time I watch the news, it just depends the depression. I spent over 21 years of my life serving because I thought this country was worth fighting for. If I had to make that decision today, I highly doubt I would make the same choice.

Every time I watch the news, it just depends the depression. I spent over 21 years of my life serving because I thought this country was worth fighting for. If I had to make that decision today, I highly doubt I would make the same choice.
Sad, but understandable sentiment. My wife and I decided over the last few years and especially months that we want to retire to another country. It’s sad to see what this place has devolved to. 

Sad, but understandable sentiment. My wife and I decided over the last few years and especially months that we want to retire to another country. It’s sad to see what this place has devolved to. 
Me as well. I still have 14 years to wait, maybe things will change by then. Can say it’s never been more evident how expendable the government considers its citizens. 

I hear ya.  I try to avoid the news anyway because of the constant political BS, but the COVID news is always so damn depressing.  Feels like there's no end in sight (and there might not be, in reality).

I’m trying to keep #### together for my kids but I’m out of things to tell them. Are we going back  to school? I don’t know honey. Can I hang out with my friends? I don’t think it’s safe buddy. I’m out of answers. Sleeping three hours a night and working 11 hours a day. I’m trying to be strong, but I’m just about done. 

Same in my household. It's unbelievably sad how this has played out and just cements our belief that the big changes required in several key areas of how the US works will never happen. 

Thanks for your service @DallasDMac and I'm sorry it feels like it has been lessened. 

I want to make a recommendation to the lot of you.

Disconnect.

People are going to do what they're going to do. You saying for the umpteen hundredth time that people should be treating this more seriously here or elsewhere isn't going to make it so.

I'm seriously concerned for the mental health of many of you. Your postings are bordering on hysteria.

Take a break. Wear your masks. And just submit to the idea that this is largely out of your control and do your level best to get yourself and those closest to you through this as best you can.

Please. I'm saying this as an iFriend.

Disconnect.

People are going to do what they're going to do. You saying for the umpteen hundredth time that people should be treating this more seriously here or elsewhere isn't going to make it so.

I'm seriously concerned for the mental health of many of you. Your postings are bordering on hysteria.

Take a break. Wear your masks. And just submit to the idea that this is largely out of your control and do your level best to get yourself and those closest to you through this as best you can.

This x1000. One of the reasons I'm spending less time in this Debbie Downer thread.

Disconnect.

Perfectly said, thank you. 

Disconnect.

Agreed!! And turn of the news...both sides are full of idiots.

I'm already counting down the months/weeks/days when I can retire and hit any money, 401K, Roth, Pension etc without penalty. Praying my pension doesn't get pulled out from underneath me at the last minute like Lucy punking Charlie Brown.

@JonCampbellGAN: NEW: New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo will travel tomorrow to Savannah, Georgia, per his public schedule.

@Opus61856: @JonCampbellGAN Speaking for everyone in Savannah, please stay away from our Nursing Homes.

Considering the overseas retirement myself. But I know there is more to it than just picking a place you want to go. Many of the countries have some pretty strict rules in place, at least if you want citizenship. And many of the ex-patriot places I have been thinking about are South of here and simply aren't an option right now. We'll see. I have probably two years before I feel safe giving up my company medical.

Thanks for the kind words folks. Much appreciated.

Take a break. Would love to, but my wife watches the news three or four times a day. Always has. It's just the norm here.

Wear your masks. I do, every time I leave the house. Or any time anyone is in (contractors and repairmen only for months, no friends or family)

And just submit to the idea that this is largely out of your control and do your level best to get yourself and those closest to you through this as best you can. We do. But, once again, we are surrounded by a surge. Give recent hospital admittance, I am unlikely to survive COVID right now. A "head in the sand" approach for me would be unwise. I simply have to be cognizant of what is going on.

Please. I'm saying this as an iFriend. Appreciate the sentiment. But I'm not a 30 or 40 something just freaking out about a bug. I simply can't afford to just try and ignore this thing.

Bahamas closing airports, seaports to United States visitors

>> The Bahamian Prime Minister announced travel restrictions into the Bahamas during a national address attributing the closures to a spike in coronavirus cases.

International commercial flights and commercial vessels carrying passengers will not be permitted to enter the Bahamas, unless they are from Canada, the United Kingdom or the European Union, beginning Wednesday, July 22, said Prime Minister Huberg Minnis.

Effectively immediately, its national air carrier, Bahamasair, will cease all outgoing flights to the United States.

“Our current situation requires decisive actions,” Minnis said. <<
Well ####.  There goes vacation.  I was looking forward to a week away from this fiasco here in Florida.  We were scheduled for our trip over a week from this coming Friday.  Everything over there looks to be opening up starting this week and next and we loved the idea of not being in a hotspot at a resort with few people.  Oh well.  

But, once again, we are surrounded by a surge. Give recent hospital admittance, I am unlikely to survive COVID right now. A "head in the sand" approach for me would be unwise. I simply have to be cognizant of what is going on.
There is no way to definitively say that. It simply isn't a death sentence to be older and living in and around COVID. And it's an example of what I mean about near hysteria. 

I'm not trying to downplay it for you, sincerely.

But from an article in May (ancient history, I know but it's the first I found) Covid-19 kills an estimated 13.4% of patients 80 and older. Scary? Sure. But it means that 86.6% didn't die.

From June - The coronavirus has been devastating for people over 80, but many are surviving. "Even in nursing homes, which are populated by frail elders who need hands-on care, a high percentage of residents who test positive for the virus have had no symptoms or mild ones. Most survive."

I'm 48, so it's easy to say. But as we age there are any number of things that can happen. My 50-ish year old cousin, who was an excellent athlete and in pretty good shape, dropped dead of a heart attack two years ago. Boom. Gone before he hit the floor. 

There's an immediacy to COVID that has us all on high alert but it's just one more random thing that can happen to us. Believing that the scythe of death is going to certainly cut us down at any moment is no way to live. 

I know Joe doesnt want us to get political in this thread, and for the most part we've tried not to be, but it's getting harder and harder to ignore the fact that our leaders have MADE THIS POLITICAL...and it absolutely shouldn't be 😥

Well ####.  There goes vacation.  I was looking forward to a week away from this fiasco here in Florida.  We were scheduled for our trip over a week from this coming Friday.  Everything over there looks to be opening up starting this week and next and we loved the idea of not being in a hotspot at a resort with few people.  Oh well.  
It's a dilemma for them because so much of their tourist dollars come from the USA.  But they're trying to avoid a crisis at hospitals. Hurricane Dorian opened my eyes about the poverty in places like Grand Banana.

Pleasure craft are still allowed. Would renting a large sailboat be feasible and enjoyable? Do you have a plan B?

It's a dilemma for them because so much of their tourist dollars come from the USA.  But they're trying to avoid a crisis at hospitals. Hurricane Dorian opened my eyes about the poverty in places like Grand Banana.

Pleasure craft are still allowed. Would renting a large sailboat be feasible and enjoyable? Do you have a plan B?
Atlantis is just now making plans to open (July 31)...they've been closed this whole time.  Don't know what they'll do now.  We were supposed to go all the way back in June.  So, I've been trying to keep the option open...money's in our airline tix and reservation etc.  We'll just keep pushing it out I think.  Fortunately for us, we have our pool and if we get the itch, we can go over to the beach.  We usually go down to Cape Canaveral National Seashore....very few people, but it's just beach.  Just need to stay away from stop #4.  I don't think I want to tackle all the questions my kids would have seeing people walking around with no clothes on right now :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:

Disconnect.

Good post - I stopped watching much news coverage on this weeks ago - even before the last few weeks where cases are going up.  I follow it here and I look at Worldometer but tried to stop paying attention - it was making me crazy.  I do think there's parts of this that we can't ignore though - I'm having to following school openings because of my kids.  I honestly thought I would never see a story that I had more fatigue over than the the total current political situation but Covid has somehow managed to trump it.  (see what did there!)

Disconnect.

This is a great post, and most people in this thread are following it.  Which is why this thread moves at a very slow pace compared to months ago.  People are tired of it.

If others are like me, the reason this thread is busier during the week is precisely because we AREN'T disconnected.  When I'm tied to a desk, I'll come to this board, it's a habit.  

We all need to take a break from time to time.  But overall, discussing this issue isn't a negative thing, just so we're clear.  It's a natural thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disconnect.

Or, you know, we could work our tails off to get someone in charge to LEAD. At all levels. I don't care what letter they have behind their name. 

Seems kind of fatalistic.   

Or, you know, we could work our tails off to get someone in charge to LEAD. At all levels. I don't care what letter they have behind their name. 

There's definitely an element of that in his post.  It's great advice overall..we can all take a step back from time to time.  But you're correct too.  It's a huge event that is affecting the entire world, the economy, our families, etc.  So it's natural to discuss it.  And our inability to control it is no different than politics (one vote makes no difference), sports (we have zero impact on what happens), and so many other things that we naturally discuss.

And perhaps someone  that reads this thread gets off their butt, and becomes a force for change in their area to encourage mask usage.  

Mask wearers with glasses:

I know this comes up a lot in various places, but I have been experimenting with various things to try and solve fir homemade masks. I have discovered that a thin bead of silicon along top of mask on inside combined with a metal piece to form over nose takes care of this. I used kitchen grade GE silicon and havent noticed it to be any more irritating than a normal mask. 

I also messed around with putting a bead all the way around the interior of a KN95 mask. I have no testing equipment to prove it, but I would say it eliminates a decent amount of the leakage associated with KN95s. I can tell it makes a big difference because of the way the mask inflates and deflates far more. Those of you wearing KN95s know what I mean. 

I also tried enhancing my N95's but after ruining about 50 of them, I gave up. Didnt want to tap into my 200 reserve units to keep trying.

Ok i made up the part about the N95 masks, but the rest is true. 

Yeah because ignoring the problem has gone really well thus far.

And please, don't pretend that "Nothing to see here, everything's great, open back up, make all your kids go back to school" isn't fitting a totally political narrative, and a disgusting one at that.

So I'll keep staying on top of this, thanks. I have a daughter. It matters.
That's not how I took Andy's post - I think he's saying don't let it consume you.  Continue to live your life safely.  I don't think he was downplaying the severity of our situation.  This is no different than someone getting a cancer diagnosis.  You have to keep living life while you fight and do everything you can.

There's definitely an element of that in his post.  It's great advice overall..we can all take a step back from time to time.  But you're correct too.  It's a huge event that is affecting the entire world, the economy, our families, etc.  So it's natural to discuss it.  And our inability to control it is no different than politics (one vote makes no difference), sports (we have zero impact on what happens), and so many other things that we naturally discuss.

And perhaps someone  that reads this thread gets off their butt, and becomes a force for change in their area to encourage mask usage.  
Nowhere did I say that people should deny what's happening and not stay informed. I said that people should focus on what they can do in their individual situation. It was really in response to this from DallasDMac

I think this is an extreme overreaction as a result of being overwhelmed by the totality of it all. 

America isn't ending due to COVID. 

And I also did not say that we shouldn't hold our leadership accountable and expect better in the future. 

When, for example, you live in Missouri and fret over what people are/are not doing in Florida, it's unhealthy. Reading the "scoreboard" of cases/fatalities and have it so deeply affect your attitude is unhealthy. 

Maintaining some perspective is what I'm advocating.

Disconnect.

I've been saying this for weeks. As I stated "I don't know how some of you sleep at night". I honestly don't. I felt awful the first few weeks it hit hard. 

But I knew it was unhealthy for both me and my wife and kids. Some people on here live and breath these numbers. IT's like watching the stock market go up and down each minute of every day. 

Not to go all arm chair psychologist on everybody but I think Covid has fundamentally changed our world (short term and long term) - in some ways we are all facing the "death" of life as we knew it.  Like any death we are going through the phases of grief.  Not everybody will go through it the same.  Some people want to go on like nothing happened, some are angry, some have accepted it and moved on.  And yes, I realize this is a totally imperfect analogy as we are still in the midst of the death and some people are actively working to make things worse.  Some things will go back to normal if we can all do the right things.  Some things are never going back to how they were.  And through all of this there's the fear of ourselves or our loved ones getting sick and possibly dying.  It sucks - big time.

Sunday numbers 

Deaths in the 21 "Outbreak States"

(CA, TX, FL, AZ, GA, NC, LA, OH, TN, SC, AL, WA, WI, MS, UT, MO, AK, NV, OK, KS, NM)

July 19:  324 deaths

Last three Sundays: (133,288,324)

7-day average in deaths

7/4: 302

7/5: 304

7/6: 317

7/7: 340

7/8: 361

7/9: 391

7/10: 421

7/11: 474

7/12: 496

7/13: 497

7/14: 513

7/15: 532

7/16: 545

7/17: 570

7/18: 589

7/19: 594

Nowhere did I say that people should deny what's happening and not stay informed. I said that people should focus on what they can do in their individual situation. It was really in response to this from DallasDMac

I think this is an extreme overreaction as a result of being overwhelmed by the totality of it all. 

And I also did not say that we shouldn't hold our leadership accountable and expect better in the future. 

When, for example, you live in Missouri and fret over what people are/are not doing in Florida, it's unhealthy. Reading the "scoreboard" of cases/fatalities and have it so deeply affect your attitude is unhealthy. 

I think perspective is a great thing, and I appreciate your reminders on that.  They are helpful.

Bottom line is that 99% of people won't die from this virus.  Reminding ourselves of that is great for perspective in terms of the virus itself.

But there's more to covid than just who dies.  It's causing major changes in the entire world and that has people on edge.   Sports, politics, music, vacations, the economy....all of these areas have been greatly and radically altered by this virus.  That's a big deal.  It's easy to tell people to get some perspective, but the reality is that life is totally different and many people are having trouble coping with the changes. 

Covid kills 1%, but everyone is majorly impacted.  Which makes it hard to disconnect for anything more than a day or two. 

Covid kills 1%, but everyone is majorly impacted.  Which makes it hard to disconnect for anything more than a day or two. 
Okay, maybe a permanent disconnect isn't good advice either.

Maybe just taking a break and gaining some perspective is what I'm advocating. There are certainly things we all must do, but neither are we talking about living in Mad Max times. 

But you don't understand.  If I don't post in this thread at least six times a day reminding people to wear masks, I'm not doing my part.

There is no way to definitively say that. It simply isn't a death sentence to be older and living in and around COVID. And it's an example of what I mean about near hysteria. 

I'm not trying to downplay it for you, sincerely.

But from an article in May (ancient history, I know but it's the first I found) Covid-19 kills an estimated 13.4% of patients 80 and older. Scary? Sure. But it means that 86.6% didn't die.

From June - The coronavirus has been devastating for people over 80, but many are surviving. "Even in nursing homes, which are populated by frail elders who need hands-on care, a high percentage of residents who test positive for the virus have had no symptoms or mild ones. Most survive."

I'm 48, so it's easy to say. But as we age there are any number of things that can happen. My 50-ish year old cousin, who was an excellent athlete and in pretty good shape, dropped dead of a heart attack two years ago. Boom. Gone before he hit the floor. 

There's an immediacy to COVID that has us all on high alert but it's just one more random thing that can happen to us. Believing that the scythe of death is going to certainly cut us down at any moment is no way to live. 
83% of people don't die playing Russian roulette with a 6 chambered revolver.  Doesn't mean I'm playing.

On a conference call with a guy that lives in Florida.  I've worked with him for a long time.  He's always been a great guy.  He decides to say "covid kills less than the flu, and if we don't get to herd immunity we won't get past this.  And if we quarantine, we won't get to herd immunity".

I get the sense that most people I work with think like this.  In case you're wondering why things aren't getting better in the USA, absurd opinions like this are why.

I was looking at Instagram in the bed this morning and saw the news. My best bud was set to trailer his boat to Ft. Lauderdale on Wednesday and go over to Eleuthera on Thursday. He could still take the boat over, but the rest of his family was flying in commercially. Pretty sure they're done now. No 4th of July show this year. No Blue Angels. No summer vacation. Happy 2020. 

I had boat issues myself on Saturday. Turned out to be something simple which I could've fixed, but I spent my birthday doing nothing... well, I did get to use my trolling motor to get myself back to the ramp 3 miles away.

I agree with all you said, with one addendum on my part.

In your example, if the people in Missouri are not paying attention to what is going on in Florida, they are much more likely to repeat the errors made there in some fashion, and to not have a healthy respect for how bad things can get and how quickly it can happen.

An unhealthy focus is absolutely not good, an ongoing educated awareness however is imperative.

Not to go all arm chair psychologist on everybody but I think Covid has fundamentally changed our world (short term and long term) - in some ways we are all facing the "death" of life as we knew it.  Like any death we are going through the phases of grief.  Not everybody will go through it the same.  Some people want to go on like nothing happened, some are angry, some have accepted it and moved on.  And yes, I realize this is a totally imperfect analogy as we are still in the midst of the death and some people are actively working to make things worse.  Some things will go back to normal if we can all do the right things.  Some things are never going back to how they were.  And through all of this there's the fear of ourselves or our loved ones getting sick and possibly dying.  It sucks - big time.
This is one of the better analogies I've seen in a while.

You are spot-on.

Okay, maybe a permanent disconnect isn't good advice either.

Maybe just taking a break and gaining some perspective is what I'm advocating. There are certainly things we all must do, but neither are we talking about living in Mad Max times. 
Absolutely. Living life as much as possible nowadays is definitely important, and good advice. The fact that the nation doesn't have this under control is frustrating and that likely contributes to some of the angst in here. I can see why this thread, heck this virus, can be depressing. Hopefully people are coping the best they can and not letting the virus dominate their mental health. But this thread is definitely helpful in many ways as well. Just don't be in here 24/7 I think might be the point, which is a good one. 

I agree with all you said, with one addendum on my part.

In your example, if the people in Missouri are not paying attention to what is going on in Florida, they are much more likely to repeat the errors made there in some fashion, and to not have a healthy respect for how bad things can get and how quickly it can happen.

An unhealthy focus is absolutely not good, an ongoing educated awareness however is imperative.
If a person reads this thread, listens, adjusts their opinions, and stays educated, they are ten times ahead of the average person out there.  To prove this, go talk to anyone.  The amount of mis-information that is out there is staggering.  In the real world, many people "decide their own truths", rather than follow what the truth actually is.  It's a shame, but that's reality.

This thread doesn't allow for that.  Which is why we are here. If I post something that's wrong (and I have many times), I'll get corrected pretty quick. That's necessary for anyone that wants to learn, as we've all had to adjust and alter our opinions throughout this pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread