What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

Our collective response to this has been like when you’re prescribed an antibiotic, and the doctor says, “Take this for two weeks. You might start feeling better after 3-4 days but that doesn’t mean you ARE better so make sure you finish out the whole two weeks.” And then after 4 days, we say, “Feeling great! Gonna go drinking and play in the snow!” And we toss that pill bottle in the garbage and before you know it, we’re back on the couch puking up soup.

Our collective response to this has been like when you’re prescribed an antibiotic, and the doctor says, “Take this for two weeks. You might start feeling better after 3-4 days but that doesn’t mean you ARE better so make sure you finish out the whole two weeks.” And then after 4 days, we say, “Feeling great! Gonna go drinking and play in the snow!” And we toss that pill bottle in the garbage and before you know it, we’re back on the couch puking up soup.
Except repeat that cycle three times and THAT'S where we currently are. 

sho nuff said:
 A week before we go...thankfully, renting a house and bringing/shopping for items to cook all week.  We already had not planned to do more than one night of takeout...now we may even scrap that.
The positivity rate has been trending down to below 5% in most counties in Florida. I think take-out is safe if you wear a mask and have brief contact with restaurant staff. Going to Publix, Trader Joes, etc for food is also probably safe - at least in South Florida, masks are still required.

Tonight was the first night after the elimination of COVID seating restrictions inside of restaurants in Florida (DiSantis' EO) and the popular restaurants in South Beach were packed inside when I took an evening stroll. No more 50% capacity. They were full of younger people - mainly 20s and 30s. On the local news, I saw the same scene in Ft. Lauderdale restaurants and bars, which are opening for the first time. People were celebrating the lifting of the restrictions. The positivity rate  is likely to go up, but the death rate could stay low if these revelers don't come into contact with people at risk of serious illness. We'll know the impact in a couple of months.

The positivity rate has been trending down to below 5% in most counties in Florida. I think take-out is safe if you wear a mask and have brief contact with restaurant staff. Going to Publix, Trader Joes, etc for food is also probably safe - at least in South Florida, masks are still required.

Tonight was the first night after the elimination of COVID seating restrictions inside of restaurants in Florida (DiSantis' EO) and the popular restaurants in South Beach were packed inside when I took an evening stroll. No more 50% capacity. They were full of younger people - mainly 20s and 30s. On the local news, I saw the same scene in Ft. Lauderdale restaurants and bars, which are opening for the first time. People were celebrating the lifting of the restrictions. The positivity rate  is likely to go up, but the death rate could stay low if these revelers don't come into contact with people at risk of serious illness. We'll know the impact in a couple of months.
Georgia has been fully opened for months...even 8 weeks of in-person school has been completed with only minor hiccups in Atlanta beginning of August.  Restaurants, nail parlors, spas, gyms...all open with enhanced sanitation measures, but no restrictions on capacity.   So I guess I don't see the Florida doom and gloom...a vaccine may never come, so we have moved on for the most part.

Another record day in Wisconsin yesterday.   I have to ask what these people are doing to have so many positives?   My lifestyle has pretty much stayed the same since this crap started.  Social distancing?  F*** that.   Stay away from bars?  Come on...its Wisconsin.   Masks?  Only if absolutely necessary...which is rare.   Granted, I live in a small very rural community, but I work in the Madison metro area, and as a delivery driver, I am in contact with 100's of people daily and most of them are not masking either.    In the 7-8 months since this all took hold, I've known just one person who had it.  Amazingly, the day before she was tested, and not realizing she had it, she was at a funeral with so many of us, yet nobody else tested positve afterwards.  

Starting to also think that the mask is having close to zero effect and the "experts" need to rethink there strategy for controlling this.  

High School football calls the shots in WV. The governor has changed the metrics that determine the threat level of each county. On Thursday night the counties that house the traditional powers in high school football went from red or orange to green.

This pandemic may not kill us all but the next one will

Georgia has been fully opened for months...even 8 weeks of in-person school has been completed with only minor hiccups in Atlanta beginning of August.  Restaurants, nail parlors, spas, gyms...all open with enhanced sanitation measures, but no restrictions on capacity.   So I guess I don't see the Florida doom and gloom...a vaccine may never come, so we have moved on for the most part.
Are masks being used in grocery stores or schools? 

Miramar area...we will likely have groceries delivered (though, being in a house vs. condo unit that isn't as much of an issue...but sure is convenient to get there and be unpacking and have the delivery timed out).

Im really not all that worried as we had planned to eat in the house most of the time anyway.  Found a couple fish markets near by that I will be picking up some fresh stuff to grill too.

Grocery stores have been sporadic and based on your location.  Once you get out of downtown Atlanta you still see lots of people not wearing masks.  Most stores have some type of mask sign but it’s not enforced most places.

Our county schools are not requiring masks and based on comments from my kids and what I see in the pickup lines it’s 50/50 at best.

This is just going to go on and on - we just have to learn to deal with it as best we can.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The last paraqraph is the big takeaway:

The other message is a more somber one: Tests are important, but they’re not the solution. Behavior is. Getting tested before you join friends at a beach house won’t protect you; social distancing and mask-wearing will. Getting tested before going on a trip doesn’t keep you from catching the virus en route; not going on the trip will. Testing, Baird reminded me, “is not curative and it is not protective, it’s an adjunctive to all the other things we’re doing.” He went on: “The clear answer is, if you don’t follow all the rules, it will keep spreading. There’s a reason the COVID pandemic maps onto the electoral map. It’s not testing or a lack of therapy, it’s choice and behavior. It’s a hugely bummer message to send out there, but COVID is real and it’s totally unforgiving. The virus will punish us right away for doing what we shouldn’t be doing.”

Probably university students. 
In the Fox Valley?  Because it seems to be surging lately in that area plus Brown Co. (Green Bay).

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/2020/09/28/wisconsin-coronavirus-green-bay-fox-valley-outbreaks-worsen/3562169001/
Admittedly I was just spit-balling because my boss's kid goes to UW Madison and hearing him relay stories from his kid, it sounds like a total mess. Entire dorms temporarily closed due to outbreaks with kids being housed in hotels and such. 

Admittedly I was just spit-balling because my boss's kid goes to UW Madison and hearing him relay stories from his kid, it sounds like a total mess. Entire dorms temporarily closed due to outbreaks with kids being housed in hotels and such. 
Has been like that in a lot of places yes...and does sound awful.

My family is in the fox valley which is why I knew they had been surging there for a little bit.

Wisconsin had cool temperatures between Sept 8th and Sept 20th.  That probably had a lot to do with it.  Winter is going to be bad.
Looking at that one graph and seeing the typical two-week spike we've seen before, I would guess that Labor Day weekend and football (bars, etc) had more to do with it.

I know schools they are at least requiring masks during any transitions, when arriving and leaving, or anytime kids are moving or bunched.  When sitting at desks the kids are distanced when able and plastic dividers, so no masks.  I am in more middle GA, so nowhere near the size of Atlanta...and this is based off grades K-8, I have no children above 7th grade, so not sure how High schools/colleges are doing.  As far as stores, masks are not mandated anywhere...they are being worn, but not by everyone...maybe 50%?  

It has been 8 weeks since school started in person, and no noticeable spike in cases.  Additionally, If you look at the charts of daily cases, Georgia's curve looks identical to California's the past few months...funny thing I saw in another thread is how California politicians are praising the 2nd round of lockdowns from early August as "flattening the curve" --- Georgia has the same drop in cases in almost the same time frame as California, with zero lockdowns and restrictions.  That is why I have moved on from this...it is so political anymore and polarized, and 90% of what you see/read is bull#### pandering to certain people - on both sides.  So basically, I will avoid large crowds, wear a mask when required, and continue to live a fairly normal life.

The last paraqraph is the big takeaway:
This seems short sighted on the scope.  In a world where covid tests were as easy as pregnancy test we'd be done with this thing by Christmas.  It's still too difficult to get anything that resembles a rapid test.

Have zero plans do do anything but completely discard this advice, if we travel over holidays on negative tests to people with negative tests and get it and die because some positive took a deuce in the next stall.  Well that's a bad beat.  

This seems short sighted on the scope.  In a world where covid tests were as easy as pregnancy test we'd be done with this thing by Christmas.  It's still too difficult to get anything that resembles a rapid test.

Have zero plans do do anything but completely discard this advice, if we travel over holidays on negative tests to people with negative tests and get it and die because some positive took a deuce in the next stall.  Well that's a bad beat.  
Waiting for a vaccine is too onerous? And when you say completely discard the advice in the post you quoted, does that mean all NPIs are out the window if you and your family test negative?

I’d argue a yes to either question is short-sighted.

Waiting for a vaccine is too onerous? And when you say completely discard the advice in the post you quoted, does that mean all NPIs are out the window if you and your family test negative?

No idea what a npi is.  But I'm gonna guess it's a yes. 

culdeus said:
Terminalxylem said:

No idea what a npi is.  But I'm gonna guess it's a yes. 
NPI = non-pharmaceutical interventions against a pathogen. Hand washing, face coverings, social distancing, etc.

Titans just had some positive tests. NFL shutting them down until at least Saturday. Impacts three other teams right now, Vikings (who the Titans played last week), Stillers (who the Titans play this week) and presumably the Texans (who the Vikings play this week).

Should be interesting  :popcorn:

Titans just had some positive tests. NFL shutting them down until at least Saturday. Impacts three other teams right now, Vikings (who the Titans played last week), Stillers (who the Titans play this week) and presumably the Texans (who the Vikings play this week).

Should be interesting  :popcorn:
Do we know what this means? No practice? Is some kind of limited practice allowed (e.g. walkthroughs while masked up)?

One would think that no practice through Saturday (or do you mean through Friday?) would mean the game would have to be scratched.

NPI = non-pharmaceutical interventions against a pathogen. Hand washing, face coverings, social distancing, etc.
Our general plan is for families to get tested 2 or so days out from leaving home, then staying isolated shutdown style until departing with negative tests.

At that point en route I would still follow the normal safe procedures, then dispense with all of them on arrival where we would be more or less a pod.  

The driving is far more risky than the virus with that in place.  Catching the thing along the trip is the least of my concern.  I'm hoping for faster tests to be rolled out soon, but there seems some political hurdles that are preventing this.

My wife's cousin is going through with a wedding.  They did cancel the reception, but they intend to have an indoor wedding at a church (catholic long ceremony) with at least 50-75 people.  They say each person/family will have their own pew with a pew in-between, as it is a big church.  I am telling my wife she should not even consider going.  Am I unreasonable? 

My wife's cousin is going through with a wedding.  They did cancel the reception, but they intend to have an indoor wedding at a church (catholic long ceremony) with at least 50-75 people.  They say each person/family will have their own pew with a pew in-between, as it is a big church.  I am telling my wife she should not even consider going.  Am I unreasonable? 
Masks required?  If so I don't see any difference between doing this and going to Target.  Maybe I'm being too loose with this...

Masks required?  If so I don't see any difference between doing this and going to Target.  Maybe I'm being too loose with this...
Probably, but no masks for some group photos.

We have not been doing any in-person shopping.  100% delivery or curbside since March.  Wife has an auto-immune thing.

culdeus said:
  In a world where covid tests were as easy as pregnancy test we'd be done with this thing by Christmas.  It's still too difficult to get anything that resembles a rapid test.
This is the part I can’t wrap my head around.  My 18 yr old nephew has had a 103+ fever (spiked at 104.7) and felt sicker then he ever has in his life for the last 6 days.  Had flu and COVID tests on day 1.  Got the flu results the next day, negative.  COVID tests results? Still waiting. Unreal!  Yet people somehow think we are going to be able to create , produce and distribute a safe and effective vaccine by years end.   :wall:

I am in the wedding business and oversee 12 locations.  We’ve been doing weddings since the start of August, primarily outdoors.  We have a massive amount of precautions in place, are limiting capacity (100 or under) so tables can be socially distanced, eliminated dancing, etc etc etc.    We’ve had not one COVID case traced back to our events.  

Agree with nirad3 here. However, there are A LOT of ways for a group of 75 people to execute this incorrectly.

Masked the entire time indoors needs to be de rigeur ... no "it's just family" exceptions. An every-other-pew system maintains plenty of distance during the ceremony itself --- but that should be maintained before and after the service, as well. There shouldn't be a bunch of close congregation before and after, and there shouldn't be any hugging or close-talking, even for family people haven't seen in years. In short -- a lot of social instincts will have to be conscientiously overridden, and all temptations to cut corners have to be beaten back.

Now ... that said ... a few slip-ups here and there won't doom everyone. It's more a concern with the overall ethic of the exercise. If the 75 people kind of collectively agree that "this is a no-mask zone" and/or a "no social-distancing zone", then things break down in a hurry. Conversely, a handful of people forgetting to toe the line a few times won't sink everyone.

Wife has an auto-immune thing.
This line right here would give me serious pause.  Not because I don’t believe weddings can’t be safe, I absolutely do I’m in that business as I just said. But it’s a risk reward decision for me with this factored in. The downside here FAR outweighs the upside. 

Missing a cousin’s wedding is no big wup. Depending on how immune suppressed your wife is, getting covid may be life threatening. It’s reasonable to skip it.

50+ people indoors for an extended period of time, some without masks, is a bad idea regardless.

Cases are down. Hospitalizations are down. Deaths are down. School has been back for over a month. At some point you have to let businesses and bars/restaurants get back to work.

There’s no arbitrary “safe spot” where you can genuinely feel 100% comfortable letting people get back to their lives. 
The issue is, cases/hospitilizations/deaths are down because of measures put in place. it is terrible policy to once again resort to opening everything up with no restrictions for we are doomed to repeat this again

This is the part I can’t wrap my head around.  My 18 yr old nephew has had a 103+ fever (spiked at 104.7) and felt sicker then he ever has in his life for the last 6 days.  Had flu and COVID tests on day 1.  Got the flu results the next day, negative.  COVID tests results? Still waiting. Unreal!  Yet people somehow think we are going to be able to create , produce and distribute a safe and effective vaccine by years end.   :wall:
Psst - no one with any scientific background thinks a safe vaccine will be distributed widely by years end. 

I am in the wedding business and oversee 12 locations.  We’ve been doing weddings since the start of August, primarily outdoors.  We have a massive amount of precautions in place, are limiting capacity (100 or under) so tables can be socially distanced, eliminated dancing, etc etc etc.    We’ve had not one COVID case traced back to our events.  
Outdoors with spacing is way better than indoors in a church which is likely poorly ventilated.

Do we know what this means? No practice? Is some kind of limited practice allowed (e.g. walkthroughs while masked up)?

One would think that no practice through Saturday (or do you mean through Friday?) would mean the game would have to be scratched.
No access to the facility until Saturday so no practice, no meetings (although I assume Zoom is fine).

Users who are viewing this thread