What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (20 Viewers)

I have been reluctant to say anything but it appears cases began falling some time about ten days ago or so.  I think your time line is probably correct.  The only thing standing in the way is the potential for the new strains to keep cases from falling as fast as they otherwise would have.  
There is much variation between states, as seen on CovidActNow. Many northern states such as South Dakota and Wisconsin have seen large drops in cases, deaths and ICU hospitalizations per 100k population, while CA, TX, AR, GA and FL are still seeing increases. I'm not sure how to explain the timing of these waves, but there was clearly an early wave (NY), a July wave (FL), a November/December wave (WI, SD, etc) and Dec/Jan wave (Many southern states and MY, MA). On the CovidActNow website, multiple states, counties and cities can be compared over time.

There is much variation between states, as seen on CovidActNow. Many northern states such as South Dakota and Wisconsin have seen large drops in cases, deaths and ICU hospitalizations per 100k population, while CA, TX, AR, GA and FL are still seeing increases. I'm not sure how to explain the timing of these waves, but there was clearly an early wave (NY), a July wave (FL), a November/December wave (WI, SD, etc) and Dec/Jan wave (Many southern states and MY, MA). On the CovidActNow website, multiple states, counties and cities can be compared over time.
All of the states that you listed (FL, GA, CA, TX, AR) appear to have peaked in cases of the current outbreak in the January 8-10 time frame and have been dropping since.  This is similar to what's being seen in much of Europe, which seems to have peaked in this current surge a week or two prior to the US.  As I said in my earleir post, I was reluctant to say anything because it could go back up, but the trend in the last 10 days or so is definitely down.  Even states which had their worst surges earlier like Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin saw a mini uptick in December/early January (not their peak surge), but have trended down since early January.  

Holiday gatherings mostly drive this thing with the onset of colder weather driving the remainder, we are headed into the timeframe in which holiday gatherings are rare and temps will warm up.   Even Easter is hardly celebrated in the US anymore.   Spring Break would be the main driver on the horizon and that's two months away, at which time we all will be considering having fans in attendance for march madness.

Seems like we've lost a few pages here, wonder where all the posts went.....  did I miss something?

Anyways, good to hear folks are out getting vaccinated.  That's a positive.

California is shut down pretty hard right now.  Cases have spiked hardcore since November. 

I am so over this.  :(

nirad3 said:
Seems like we've lost a few pages here, wonder where all the posts went.....  did I miss something?

Anyways, good to hear folks are out getting vaccinated.  That's a positive.

California is shut down pretty hard right now.  Cases have spiked hardcore since November. 

I am so over this.  :(
I thought we had passed a 1000 pages a while back, maybe the upgrade has more posts per page?

culdeus said:
Holiday gatherings mostly drive this thing with the onset of colder weather driving the remainder, we are headed into the timeframe in which holiday gatherings are rare and temps will warm up.   Even Easter is hardly celebrated in the US anymore.   Spring Break would be the main driver on the horizon and that's two months away, at which time we all will be considering having fans in attendance for march madness.
Pretty much the entire midwest didnt follow this. 

Maybe this thing needs a temperature AND humidity sweet spot to flourish. 

Pretty much the entire midwest didnt follow this. 

Maybe this thing needs a temperature AND humidity sweet spot to flourish. 
How so?  

Here's Minnesota.  Kicked into huge growth on Oct 25th.

https://www.google.com/search?q=minnesota+covid+chart&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS860US860&oq=minnesota+covid+chart&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i131i433i457j0i131i433j0i395i433l2j0i131i395i433j0i395j69i60.3093j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/minneapolis/55415/october-weather/348794?year=2020

First freezing cold low temp on Oct 11th, just 14 days prior.  

Last edited by a moderator:
How so?  
My entire extended family has been out at bars and restaurants whenever possible.  Without masks.  They all live in WI and nothing about their life has been different the past 9 months (except when there were mandatory closures of bars & restaurants).  My cousin updates us 2-3x per week on her latest meal out.

My entire extended family has been out at bars and restaurants whenever possible.  Without masks.  They all live in WI and nothing about their life has been different the past 9 months (except when there were mandatory closures of bars & restaurants).  My cousin updates us 2-3x per week on her latest meal out.
Lots of Wisconsinites have followed the recommendations and a lot have not.  The Barflies definitely have not.  I went out after the Packers win on Saturday and the bars were jam packed.  There is definitely going to be a spike up due to Packers gatherings.  Go Pack!

I haven't checked in since the page count was in double digits.

Now that it's 1000 deep, are we still getting reports of "my wife's sister's neighbor's brother in law is a firefighter, and he said we should make sure to have a full tank of gas in the car because something is going to happen in two days!"

Question for @Terminalxylem and other medical pros:

Due to get 2nd Moderna shot 2/10/21. I'm travelling abroad on 2/27/21.

They justifiably ask about other recent vaccines before giving your shot, so I'm waiting on my Hep A booster. 

I presume I'm safe to get my Hep A shot a week after the Moderna shot? I want to give the Moderna vaccine time to fully settle in (they say ~5 days), but also want to give the Havrix shot time to work before travel as well.

I haven't checked in since the page count was in double digits.

Now that it's 1000 deep, are we still getting reports of "my wife's sister's neighbor's brother in law is a firefighter, and he said we should make sure to have a full tank of gas in the car because something is going to happen in two days!"
Ahhh someone got put in detention again :lol:  

Nope, but our government DID finally figure out that masks were good, something the rest of the civilized world knew all along. ;)   

Then peaked less than a month later and continues down through the coldest months that also had New Years, Xmas, and Thanksgiving. 

ETA: just looked at that weather chart for october in minneapolis. Sure the Low was 32 on the 11th. But the high the next 5 days 70, 80, 71, 68, 80. All higher than the week before the 11th. 

They justifiably ask about other recent vaccines before giving your shot, so I'm waiting on my Hep A booster. 

I presume I'm safe to get my Hep A shot a week after the Moderna shot? I want to give the Moderna vaccine time to fully settle in (they say ~5 days), but also want to give the Havrix shot time to work before travel as well.

I can't say for sure, but that is a tight window and I think most vaccine windows are usually longer than that.  Some of them are specific.  I would contact whoever it is that is administrating your Hep A vaccine and find out what they say. 

Not sure what is confusing. 

You said it is fueled by holidays and the onset of cold weather. Clearly in the midwest that isn't the case. 
Disagree, but whatever. Either way cases and subsequent issues arising from that are in a freefall in most of the country at this point.  

Disagree, but whatever. Either way cases and subsequent issues arising from that are in a freefall in most of the country at this point.  
Hoping that freefall starts happening in southern California sooner rather than later.  We were one of the least-hit areas for the majority of all this, and now it seems we are a hotbed.

ive got lot of friends like this 
still going to bars with buddies (different groups)  every week 
here in vancouver and BC , our numbers were great in the 1st wave under 100 for months 
restrictions were in place early , then loosened for the summer
then reapplied in late sept as numbers got worse 
more restrictions in early December and they are in place probably until march  as our numbers were getting bad
700/800 a day in mid December 
we are down to 450/500 daily cases as of today 

I take care of my parents so ive been really trying to minimize my risk but still live as its taken a bad mental toll on me
in a year i have only been inside 6 restaurants  and inside 2 friends place.  

ive got lot of friends like this 
still going to bars with buddies (different groups)  every week 
here in vancouver and BC , our numbers were great in the 1st wave under 100 for months 
restrictions were in place early , then loosened for the summer
then reapplied in late sept as numbers got worse 
more restrictions in early December and they are in place probably until march  as our numbers were getting bad
700/800 a day in mid December 
we are down to 450/500 daily cases as of today 

I take care of my parents so ive been really trying to minimize my risk but still live as its taken a bad mental toll on me
in a year i have only been inside 6 restaurants  and inside 2 friends place.  

All these people still going to bars and all unmasked ... have people just been getting THAT lucky? Tons of asymptomatic cases that just never had any idea they were infected (or else shrugged off mild symptoms)?

There's something of a recent mini-outbreak in the exurban areas north of New Orleans -- the twist is that lots of people up there are getting COVID, but very few are even getting to the point of hospitalization. Lots of  "I had no fever!" reports. "I only lost smell for a few days!" And so on. This was already a "just the flu" area before ... so now, they believe they were right all along :shrug:  

Got lucky with a mild strain that outcompeted other strains locally? Just hard to reconcile the varying experiences not just country to country and state to state, but town to town and even family to family.

:shrug:  

bcat01 said:
Pennsylvania has a similar trend (link) - after peaking around mid-December, hospitalizations have started falling and are back to where they were end of November.  It's odd because while cases and deaths have been sort of lumpy, hospitalizations have a very well-behaved curve that went up for two and half months straight and now it's a month of heading back down.  New Jersey's curve looked almost identical until mid-December but has since plateaued rather than dropped.  :shrug:

Pennsylvania has a similar trend (link) - after peaking around mid-December, hospitalizations have started falling and are back to where they were end of November.  It's odd because while cases and deaths have been sort of lumpy, hospitalizations have a very well-behaved curve that went up for two and half months straight and now it's a month of heading back down.  New Jersey's curve looked almost identical until mid-December but has since plateaued rather than dropped.  :shrug:
WI peaked at like 2200 hospitalizations on November 26th. Down to like 900 now. Pretty much a consistent line down. 

I received my second pfizer shot yesterday at 2;30 pm. Definitely more arm pain than the first shot. I woke up this morning with VERY sore joints. I do have arthritis but this was another level. I decided for various reasons I could work today. I took tylenol at 7:30 am and was feeling pretty good for a while. Things took a turn around 4;00 pm. 

I now have a pounding headache, sore joints, uncontrollable shivering unless I am bundled up in sweats and a blanket. I do not have a fever. I'm really feeling bad right now. If I felt like this earlier this morning I would not have gone into work. I am very achey all over. 

Hoping this is just par for the course but I am a little worried here.

Edit to add that my tinnitus which I have had for years is also much worse?

WI peaked at like 2200 hospitalizations on November 26th. Down to like 900 now. Pretty much a consistent line down. 
I don't have a place to upload the graph, but inspired by this, I took the hospitalizations from WI and PA and normalized them with respect to their peaks.  PA's curve is a little narrower, but it's remarkably similar, especially considering these are time shifted by a month, so the holidays fall at different points.

Hospitalization vs. Peak fall/winter hospitalization:

Timeframe     WI      PA

Peak-10wk   13%   10%

Peak-6wk     36%   24%

Peak-4wk     51%   45%

Peak-2wk     73%   77%

Peak            100%  100%

Peak +2wk   79%   91%

Peak +4wk   62%   79%

Peak +6wk   49%   TBD

Peak +8wk   45%   TBD

I don't have a place to upload the graph, but inspired by this, I took the hospitalizations from WI and PA and normalized them with respect to their peaks.  PA's curve is a little narrower, but it's remarkably similar, especially considering these are time shifted by a month, so the holidays fall at different points.

Hospitalization vs. Peak fall/winter hospitalization:

Timeframe     WI      PA

Peak-10wk   13%   10%

Peak-6wk     36%   24%

Peak-4wk     51%   45%

Peak-2wk     73%   77%

Peak            100%  100%

Peak +2wk   79%   91%

Peak +4wk   62%   79%

Peak +6wk   49%   TBD

Peak +8wk   45%   TBD
Kinda crazy. I find ND, SD, MN, and IA to look similar too. Peaks are all within a day I think. IL and MI I think are about a week later. 

But graphs all follow same patterns. 

I received my second pfizer shot yesterday at 2;30 pm. Definitely more arm pain than the first shot. I woke up this morning with VERY sore joints. I do have arthritis but this was another level. I decided for various reasons I could work today. I took tylenol at 7:30 am and was feeling pretty good for a while. Things took a turn around 4;00 pm. 

I now have a pounding headache, sore joints, uncontrollable shivering unless I am bundled up in sweats and a blanket. I do not have a fever. I'm really feeling bad right now. If I felt like this earlier this morning I would not have gone into work. I am very achey all over. 

Sorry GB bit those symptoms sound bad not outside what can be expected. 

Check out r/Covidvaccinated for a TON of folks sharing their experiences. Hopefully it helps.

Current recommendation is no other vaccines 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after getting the COVID vaccination. I don’t know how much of that is decreased effectiveness vs. uncertainty.

Kinda crazy. I find ND, SD, MN, and IA to look similar too. Peaks are all within a day I think. IL and MI I think are about a week later. 

But graphs all follow same patterns. 
It's one of the things about this whole mess that has been consistent.  An area with a severe outbreak follows more or less the same R0 behavior.  I think at some point there is a human element here that realizes that #### has gotten really bad, and maybe they should lay low.  That threshold seems to be reached about the time the test + rate exceeds 20% or so.  Someone will make 

My understanding is that this is your body's immune response to the vaccine.  This is good.

It's one of the things about this whole mess that has been consistent.  An area with a severe outbreak follows more or less the same R0 behavior.  I think at some point there is a human element here that realizes that #### has gotten really bad, and maybe they should lay low.  That threshold seems to be reached about the time the test + rate exceeds 20% or so.  Someone will make 
Or maybe this thing is primarily driven by a select group of people engaging in certain behaviors and then those people spreading within their "bubbles" and once all those people have caught it, they dont spread it anymore when they recover and continue to engage in said behaviors.

So anecdotally when Alex P and I see no change in bar and restaurant crowds, etc. Or when I see them packed in SD, that would fit. 

Also hard to ignore that the midwest spikes and drops all coordinate perfectly with colleges being back in session and then many switching back to remote. In other words, hey young crazy drinkers come to school and party and spread covid. Oh btw young crazy drinkers we changed our minds, please take covid back to your families.

I ended up calling into work today which I loathe. This morning I have bad headache, chills, and general aches. The chills are strange as they feel very transient. 

Or maybe this thing is primarily driven by a select group of people engaging in certain behaviors and then those people spreading within their "bubbles" and once all those people have caught it, they dont spread it anymore when they recover and continue to engage in said behaviors.

So anecdotally when Alex P and I see no change in bar and restaurant crowds, etc. Or when I see them packed in SD, that would fit. 

Also hard to ignore that the midwest spikes and drops all coordinate perfectly with colleges being back in session and then many switching back to remote. In other words, hey young crazy drinkers come to school and party and spread covid. Oh btw young crazy drinkers we changed our minds, please take covid back to your families.
Along those lines, I think the decision made sense at the time, but I wouldn't be surprised if abruptly closing the colleges and sending everyone home isn't eventually viewed with the benefit of hindsight as catastrophically bad.  It took a group of people engaged in behavior that made them highly likely to be infectious but whose main interactions were with those who are at low risk of serious disease consequences, and scattered them across the country to mix with the general public. 

One of the more inconvenient truths throughout all this is talking spreads this thing at least as much as cough/sneeze.  Additionally, talking/chatting in an enclosed space amplifies the effect.  More and more the evidence seems to indicate that not only is this a chatting (even yawning) spread, that you can spread it prior to testing + for days.

So anything that drives people indoors, without masks, is tremendously risky.  Why restaurants have remained open for indoor dining never made sense.  Same with bars/churches.  People tend to do those indoor things more in cold/bad weather and surrounding holidays.  Not shocking to see the spikes correlate with moves indoors.  

What people want to be true, is that if you feel sick, stay home, otherwise carry on.  Hell, it's entirely possible that once you feel sick you aren't even shedding as much as you were 3 days prior.  That's how wild ### this thing is.

I think both of these make a lot of sense.  They don't strike me as totally mutually exclusive.  

Would a cedar allergy shot fall in that category? My wife gets shots weekly during cedar season. No way she could go four straight weeks without one.
Not sure, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they treat allergy immunotherapy like vaccines wrt timing the covid vaccine. That being said, in general there is no need to alter the immunotherapy schedule in patients receiving vaccines; they’re just being extra careful with covid vaccination to avoid confounding variables if an allergic reaction develops.

After 2 trips to one pharmacy Monday (national chain store which shall remain nameless) and a 3rd trip to another pharmacy yesterday, finally got my first dose yesterday.  The inconsistency is amazing. My work qualifies us under the state guidelines for currently available population to vaccinate. Made an appointment, and when I showed up they needed a letter stating the exact verbiage from the state guidelines. Ok, but nobody ever put that information out on the appointment booking procedure! I had everything they listed on their website, but no letter, since that wasn't mentioned. Add to that fact, I had a coworker go to the exact same location (I was the one that helped her set up her appointment, no less, right after I did my own.) and they didn't even ask to see her ID! :wall:  Since then several of us here in the office have had mixed results, but the store I went to seems to be the worst of the bunch. It literally depends on who is working as to what is required.  It's almost like there was no centralized plan on any level to roll this out. 🤔 I got to the other store yesterday and had no issues. I'm not even sure they looked at the letter, which my boss provided all of us after hearing my issues with the first store.

As for the shot itself, only minor shoulder pain, like I can tell it's a little inflamed. I did have one random sharp, shooting pain yesterday down my arm yesterday, but that was a one-time thing. Feeling great. 

Just hopeful that I'm able to get the 2nd dose in 3-4 weeks. 

If Covid-19 Did Start With a Lab Leak, Would We Ever Know?

My only question is... WTH happened to the study they did (journal Nature, IIRC) back in February/March that stated that it was absolutely natural in genetic makeup, which they knew from looking at the structuring of the virus cells?? (i.e. had they been man-made, they would've closely resembled a known coronavirus, with  few modifications... and they did not)  Was that false? Did they reanalyze and get different findings? Or are we just now bending to conspiracy theory pressure? 

If Covid-19 Did Start With a Lab Leak, Would We Ever Know?

My only question is... WTH happened to the study they did (journal Nature, IIRC) back in February/March that stated that it was absolutely natural in genetic makeup, which they knew from looking at the structuring of the virus cells?? (i.e. had they been man-made, they would've closely resembled a known coronavirus, with  few modifications... and they did not)  Was that false? Did they reanalyze and get different findings? Or are we just now bending to conspiracy theory pressure? 
Cant something be natural and a lab leak? 

Cant something be natural and a lab leak? 
I don't know the answer to that, but I guess I assume that if it was from a lab and this was a "new" virus, that it didn't just get that way by sitting in a lab, without some sort of manual intervention, whether it was cross-testing, or whatever else they might be experimenting with in a lab setting. :shrug:  I guess that's where the water gets murky, when you go to define what "man-made" means. 

I don't know the answer to that, but I guess I assume that if it was from a lab and this was a "new" virus, that it didn't just get that way by sitting in a lab, without some sort of manual intervention, whether it was cross-testing, or whatever else they might be experimenting with in a lab setting. :shrug:  I guess that's where the water gets murky, when you go to define what "man-made" means. 
Isnt one of the theories that a bat at a wet market took a dump on a pangolin and then somebody bought the pangolin? 

Is that natural? Or man made? 

Personally I think it was a natural virus that the Chinese "helped". Weaponized isn't the right word but I don't know what that word is so I'm using weaponized but took the virus and made it stronger, harder to defeat in nature, more contagious, etc. Kinda like BASF, "we don't make a lot of the products you buy. We make a lot of the products you buy better."

I'll go back to my corner and cover up with my tinfoil blanket now.

Users who are viewing this thread