What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it sounds like the stimulus bill is likely to be approved today after negotiations.

Question for the GOP side here: given that it only took ~2 days to hammer this into something both sides can be happy with, why didn't that happen over the weekend while the GOP Senators were writing a bill only within their caucus? Why waste time with that when you know you're going to need to negotiate to get this thing passed? 

The cynic in me says it's because the GOP wanted to be able to spin this as the Democrats "holding things up." Any more charitable reason out there?

Exactly. And for all the grief he gets, he's actually slow rolled this into a 30-day ordeal instead of a 15-day one in the process.
It's pretty obvious he has no business going there.  This is one of those, "it takes what it's going to take" deals....pointless to attempt and even put a date on this thing when we STILL don't know the extent of the problem.  It's mind boggling.  

Fun fact....checked with a friend of mine when I heard the Charlotte lockdown news.  She's been at home sick with all the symptoms of coronavirus for 10 days.  STILL doesn't have her test results back because of the backlog in testing.

It's pretty obvious he has no business going there.  This is one of those, "it takes what it's going to take" deals....pointless to attempt and even put a date on this thing when we STILL don't know the extent of the problem.  It's mind boggling.  
I think you severely underestimate the amount of people in areas that aren't severely impacted at the moment who will say "screw it, I'm going back to work" if you give them the invisible monster routine without some sort of timeline for your action plan. He can always push it back again when the time gets closer. People need something to strive for... a carrot at the end of the string.

That's actually factually inaccurate on both counts with respect to ordering as many tests and ventilators as he can. 

He had ready-made tests available to him.  In the millions. 

But, let's not dwell on the past.  You've acknowledged he hasn't used his authority to ramp up production.  How many dead bodies is worth it to you before willing to say he should have used his authority TODAY to get more tests and ventilators in circulation?  This isn't magic, he has the authority.  Is it 10k?  50k?  100k?
Where were the tests?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably not good news:

Phil Landeros@PhilLanderos · 58m

Atlanta Mayor tells #cbs46 News ICU units in hospitals across the city are at capacity #BREAKING #Exclusive on @cbs46

For me - this is one of the bigger concerns as most of us watch NYC from a distance - how many more hot spots are going to pop up, and what does their time frame look like.

It's his discretion.  Are you uncomfortable putting a number on how many dead bodies you're ok with?
I don’t agree with your premise, so I can’t really answer.  Trump can’t magically create ventilators.  I’m also not aware that there are people that have died because hospitals are short ventilators.  There isn’t a current shortage. There’s an expected shortage, but there’s also production capacity coming online.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I can point to six more sources which identify him as Trump pick.  Trump is at the top of the chain of command.  Announcing or naming is different.  
Its pointless to argue...but the HHS says he was named by Azar...the only link you provided didnt say otherwise.  Lets move on...this is foolish.

He looks like he's been beaten with a garden hose, but he's there. GB him and Birx still trying to string this out for the American people, but it's obviously wearing on them trying to thread the needle of telling the truth while standing next to a President that isn't interested in that. 

Trump appointed the CDC director.  If the guy was screwing up this forum would be blaming Trump.  Seems you want it both ways.  
Let's try that in reverse.  If you want to give him credit for the day-to-day operations of the CDC, then he has to take blame as well.  By far the biggest screwups so far are 1) the US was unable to test for a month or more, and 2) Trump personally and repeatedly downplayed the severity of this.  In your scenario, how can you possibly give him credit for his actions?  Those two things alone far outweigh any possible positive actions on his part.

I don’t agree with your premise, so I can’t really answer.  He can’t magically create ventilators.  I’m also not aware that there are people that have died because hospitals are short ventilators.  There isn’t a current shortage. There’s an expected shortage, but there’s also production capacity coming online.
You were the one who introduced the premise of dead bodies and what would be acceptable.  He can't perform magic, that's not a concept I've introduced, but you have.  Now twice.  He does, however, have executive powers authorized to order increased manufacturing. 

And, there is a current ventilator shortage.  Even Trump in all his incompetence acknowledged as much, only to say it's not his fault and could never have been foreseen.

Let's try that in reverse.  If you want to give him credit for the day-to-day operations of the CDC, then he has to take blame as well.  By far the biggest screwups so far are 1) the US was unable to test for a month or more, and 2) Trump personally and repeatedly downplayed the severity of this.  In your scenario, how can you possibly give him credit for his actions?  Those two things alone far outweigh any possible positive actions on his part.
I really don't see where it made a difference.  We are on a better trajectory than our European counterparts.  

Trump is going back to his democratic roots..giving away more than Bernie.   At UPS we were all watching and the loading  crews were chanting Trump..Trump..Trump.

I do agree we need to be more self sufficient in every area and not ever get caught short and depend on China or anywhere.

All of the talk about people "escaping" NYC has me more worried than before -- obviously it was going to happen, but the fact that they're concerned enough about it to keep talking about it and advise people to a) not leave and b) if they have left, to quarantine for 14 days tells me that they're very worried about that hotspot spreading very wide. Considering what we saw happen in Italy, that's a very valid worry. I'd be happy to be wrong, but it feels like we're closing the barn door after the horse escaped, as it were.

So nineteen days until we start Wave Two?
Fauci (and even Trump, to a degree) are talking so much about "flexibility" re: the Easter date that I'm guessing that date is essentially meaningless. This is a kind of wishful hope that I'm OK with, so long as we don't let it override public health policy (as opposed to the dangerous talk about medical miracles we got last week).

Fauci (and even Trump, to a degree) are talking so much about "flexibility" re: the Easter date that I'm guessing that date is essentially meaningless. This is a kind of wishful hope that I'm OK with, so long as we don't let it override public health policy (as opposed to the dangerous talk about medical miracles we got last week).
Actually April 12 would be 27-28 days from the start of (kinda nationwide) social distancing. Not completely insane.

Maybe a little more self awareness, especially when you want to trash the President for not holding a press briefing when we are literally watching a live press briefing. 
So...more trying to talk about the poster rather than understanding i asked a question.  As expected.

Actually April 12 would be 27-28 days from the start of (kinda nationwide) social distancing. Not completely insane.
I'm afraid it's a pipe dream for places like NYC, but if the majority of the country will take it seriously through that date I think it may actually be very realistic for many areas.

I'm afraid it's a pipe dream for places like NYC, but if the majority of the country will take it seriously through that date I think it may actually be very realistic for many areas.
My worry is that we're just too interconnected for it not to continue to spread outside of the hotspots unless we like, wall them off (and even then, people are going to get out). Italy tried just isolating the "hotspot" in the north and it really didn't work. I'm just skeptical that it'll work a lot better for us given how many more people we'd need to test to make it effective.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

This is probably not good news:

Phil Landeros@PhilLanderos · 58m

Atlanta Mayor tells #cbs46 News ICU units in hospitals across the city are at capacity #BREAKING #Exclusive on @cbs46

For me - this is one of the bigger concerns as most of us watch NYC from a distance - how many more hot spots are going to pop up, and what does their time frame look like.
If this is true we stand no chance to flatten the curve below where it would need to be. They have 1000 cases in the whole state. If Atlanta cant handle what would likely be less than 100 ICU cases, we arent going to save too many lives considering how long it takes to recover. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread