What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're comparing apples to machine guns.  It makes no sense.  If you think the first line of defense is the federal government, then You're clearly not fit for public office and I don't think you understand how government and chains of command work.

Then again, if you think the first line of defense is the federal government then I guess you really are Democrat. 
What?   The federal government is leading and coordinating the response in every other country.  That is its job.  

The total incompetence of the trump administration is staggering.  Best country in the world with the most pathetic  leader in modern history.   Bananas.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, of course. He was too busy trying to fend off a BS impeachment investigation.

You know, when you're distracted you kind of lose focus.  I'm not saying that Trump doesn't get any blame, but to say the Democrats are clean on this is not realistic.
Fend off?  He didn’t even participate.  

What?   The federal government is leading and coordinating the response in every other country.  That is its job.  

The total incompetence of the trump administration is staggering.  Best country in the world with the most pathetic  leader in modern history.   Bananas.   
It's not staggering.  The drama and hyperbole is ridiculous here.

The Trump administration is doing an admirable job.  Maybe they got off to a slow start but they've certainly ramped it up.

The federal government is taking the lead in other countries because that is their job. The individual states are supposed to take care of the citizens and their state with the federal government coming in over the top when necessary.

Do you guys even know how government works?

It's not staggering.  The drama and hyperbole is ridiculous here.

The Trump administration is doing an admirable job.  Maybe they got off to a slow start but they've certainly ramped it up.
With respect, the American response to this epidemic is brutal.  Absolutely brutal.  

Don’t  take my word for it.  Watch.  

Coronavirus: Sweden determined it has smarter strategy for dealing with COVID-19

Sweden still standing strong. Here's hoping they don't give in.
1. The head of Sweden's equivalent of CDC, Anders Tegnell, who has implemented these measures, stated Friday (could be yday) that they could and should have done more to prevent the spread in the early phase of the pandemic and that they completely underestimated the virus in terms of danger to patients and ability to spread. That said, they stated it was now too late to change strategies

2. The Swedish Prime Minister followed up by warning the Swedish people to expect thousands of people to die.

Great plan!

The individual states are supposed to take care of the citizens and their state with the federal government coming in over the top when necessary.

Do you guys even know how government works?
The question at the end of the post is ironic. 

The coronavirus is a national threat to the United States. It is not a bigger threat to Wyoming than it is to Nebraska; it’s a threat to all 50 states equally and to every American. 

Imagine if, right after Pearl Harbor, the Japanese had invaded California. Should FDR’s response have been “Let California deal with it. We’ll (the federal government) will come in over the top if necessary”???

But that’s a foolish question. Of course FDR would never have done that; he understood how government works. 

The unyielding fealty blows my mind.  Even now.  They back the conman.  
His supporters will continue to passionately approve of the job he's done until their last dying breath even though his incompetence caused or contributed to their impending demise. No point in conversing with them.

2. The Swedish Prime Minister followed up by warning the Swedish people to expect thousands of people to die.

Great plan!
The President of the U.S. expects way more than thousands to die despite lockdowns all over the country. Lockdowns aren't going to save people just delay the inevitable. 

For people upset that we dont have a national stay at home order I have some questions...

Would it be like in PA where a woman was ticketed for going for a drive or like WI where I can go to target, burger king, and the dog park this afternoon if I want. 

How does this work legally? 

Yeah. Looks like everyone was underprepared, like i said.
Well of course they/we were. We were told by Trump it was no big deal, only couple cases in US and they would be down to 0 shortly. What would be the reason to become alarmed/prepare for something that the leader of the US says is a non issue?

Yeah, of course. He was too busy trying to fend off a BS impeachment investigation.

You know, when you're distracted you kind of lose focus.  I'm not saying that Trump doesn't get any blame, but to say the Democrats are clean on this is not realistic.
Trump held multiple rallies during this time period, golfed, and hosted at Maralago. His lawyers fired off letters about unitary authority with no legal foundation and Trump threatened public officials not to appear. Even now in the middle of the crisis and throughout it he has been purging people who did their duty. On March 7th he held an event at Maralago that itself seeded the disease. 

It seems like there's an easy solution to this whole thing.  Moving forward, we need to elect people capable of focusing on more than one thing at a time.  Problem solved.  I thought I was in bizarro world when asking Palin what news sources / periodicals she read was a "gotcha".  This line of thought puts that one to shame.

Yeah, you're right. He wasn't distracted by it at all.  🙄
:shrug:  Intelligent people are able to handle several thought streams at the same time--it's sometimes called "multi-tasking".  Low intelligence types, on the other hand, are easily distracted and can only focus on one shiny bauble at a time.

For people upset that we dont have a national stay at home order I have some questions...

Would it be like in PA where a woman was ticketed for going for a drive or like WI where I can go to target, burger king, and the dog park this afternoon if I want. 

How does this work legally? 
We’d figure it out. 

:shrug:  Intelligent people are able to handle several thought streams at the same time--it's sometimes called "multi-tasking".  Low intelligence types, on the other hand, are easily distracted and can only focus on one shiny bauble at a time.
You mean kind of like those on here that spend all day only obsessing over their Trump hate?  :deadhorse:

The President of the U.S. expects way more than thousands to die despite lockdowns all over the country. Lockdowns aren't going to save people just delay the inevitable. 
The president of the US flubbed the ball and could have saved thousands. Lockdowns  are, according to most epidemiologists, an effective way to flatten the curve, which will save thousands of lives due to hospitals being able to cope with the infected. If done right. In time.

SQUIRREL!!!!!!

I wonder if this is going to be the new line from the republicans which is often the case on complex issues....no solution is a better solution because there is no perfect solution
New line? Those of us who have been arguing for more gun control have been hearing it for years. 

Sadly, this administration is in an endless loop of tripping over its own privates and the consequences to the Nation are severe. I'd argue that documenting and commenting on the plethora of daily missteps, poorly calculated decisions, unforced errors , and rudimentary failures equates to extreme multi-tasking.

Generalizations are dangerous and are the biggest problem in any kind of political discussion, especially these days. Just because you disagree with a certain aspect or policy of a politician or party, that should not result in being accused of hate. Disagreeing on how Trump has handled this situation doesn’t make me a far left liberal (I’m far from that, I probably disagree more with Sanders policy-wise than I do Trump). But that’s the box I get put in by many who are unable to take their blinders off and see things for what they are. Anger or disappointment does not equal hate. I wish more people would keep that in mind when engaging in these discussions. 

More Trump on Biden: "He doesn't write. He's probably not even watching right now." He then adds that, if Biden is watching, he probably doesn't understand what is going on.
I would like to see President Trump react more often to just how awful Joe Biden has personally and politicly behaved during this pandemic. He’s spot on as usual with this assessment. 

The Joe Biden twitter feed is a sewer and so is every safe space CNN interview he does from his basement in Delaware. Constant scripted (because he’s not capable of anything himself we know that) complaining and whining. The guy is a complete basement dwelling disaster.

The federal government is taking the lead in other countries because that is their job. The individual states are supposed to take care of the citizens and their state with the federal government coming in over the top when necessary.
I highly doubt that what you've written was in the CDC's pandemic response plan. "Let's leave it up to each state to figure out what to do when there's a pandemic that's hit the US. They know what's best for their citizens and we shouldn't take the lead."

In times of national crisis, yes, I expect the federal government to take the lead in coordination, organization, and leadership.  Thus far, it's been an abject failure by the federal government.

The federal government through the FDA controls what medical treatments can be conducted in the United States. I don't believe the state public health departments were allowed to roll out their own tests for COVID, but instead had to wait for the CDC to roll out the test protocol.  Maybe that's due to resources, maybe that's by design, I'm not sure.  In any case, was each state supposed to procure their own sample of the virus, develop their own test and protocol? That's the solution? That would have been even more chaos, although no doubt some states would have been able to move quickly in rolling out large scale testing.

Just because we've had a failure of central government and leadership doesn't mean that it's the wrong approach to a pandemic.

No it is pretty much hate which spills over to an endless supply of ridiculous generalizations.
It’s pretty sad, and just because 10 other guys hiding behind aliases take the same extreme position in a chat room they really believe it’s close to reasonable. Scary times. 

No it is pretty much hate which spills over to an endless supply of ridiculous generalizations.
Jon you've said some things about Trump that would make a progressive blush. I don't think it's about hate (I'm guessing you'd argue you balance your disgust for the president), at least not in this thread - currently it's an actual life and death issue. Someone could love the president or hate him or be neutral, but this is undeniably an historical event.

The president of the US flubbed the ball and could have saved thousands. Lockdowns  are, according to most epidemiologists, an effective way to flatten the curve, which will save thousands of lives due to hospitals being able to cope with the infected. If done right. In time.
You may not need to flatten the curve depending on whether the hospitals can deal with an influx of patients. If they can handle it, or arrangements can be made for them to handle it, then you can avoid you flushing your economy down the commode for no reason. 

It's nice there's at least one country not giving into hysteria; when U.S. governor's start taking credit for saving the world, hey Larry Hogan look over there at Sweden... and they got out of it with their jobs too.

I would like to see President Trump react more often to just how awful Joe Biden has personally and politicly behaved during this pandemic. He’s spot on as usual with this assessment. 

The Joe Biden twitter feed is a sewer and so is every safe space CNN interview he does from his basement in Delaware. Constant scripted (because he’s not capable of anything himself we know that) complaining and whining. The guy is a complete basement dwelling disaster.
Wait what?  You applaud Trump, and claim Biden has acted poorly personally and politically?

Wow...I mean, really, that is some good humor here.  Trump has attacked doctors, reporters, governors...accused hospital staff of taking PPE out the back door...but Joe being critical is crossing the line?

I would like to see President Trump react more often to just how awful Joe Biden has personally and politicly behaved during this pandemic.
On February 1st Biden called the coronvirus event a crisis. This was before Trump implemented his partial China travel ban.

On March 7th Trump hosted an event at Maralago that infected and risked infected multiple people. His own daughter went into self-quarantine.

Yesterday immediately after Dr. Fauci once again advised the country to distance, Trump walked up right behind him and said meh the cure is worse than the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread