What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (13 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The administration isn't saying that. Devos said all schools must be fully operational- no half time or anything like that. Then she said the local schools need to handle the details themselves. I know many districts here have been trying to create plans for themselves, some of which involved part time in-person instruction. That seems out the window now and those plans will have to be scrapped. I imagine the school administrators are beyond frustrated right now with the lack of clarity and direction throughout this process. 
Typical bull from these people.  The federal government is powerless to do anything to help but if you don't do exactly as we say the federal government is going to punish you.

Gr00vus said:
I agree with what you're saying here overall. The time frame is a problem however, you can't reasonably expect to put all that into place in time to open things up Sept 1 (or thereabouts).
Right, this should have been done in March. The fact that we’re talking now about opening schools and there is absolutely no talk of a plan to do it or what has been put in place to help facilitate that or any additional funding to help schools come up with and pay for plans on their own is a travesty. We gave billions to the airline industry to stay afloat but when it comes to our schools we shrug and say “figure it out.” It’s disgusting.

It isn't a good comparison, but whatever.  

If she had come out and simply said "Going to school is risky"  Tim would have lost it anyway.    
I’m not gonna hammer this because it is a minor deal and not something worth arguing about but I don’t agree with the “whatever” part of your statement.  Leaders have to be very careful with their words, it comes with the territory. I know you don’t view our politicians as leaders, and that’s fine it’s certainly your choice, but the overwhelming majority of human beings do. And when a leader says some stupid #### like that it is something that’s going to get under peoples skin.  It reeks of being disconnected from the situation.  

Bahrain is one of the world leaders in tests per capita at about 3X the rate of USA. Qatar is also far better than the USA in tests per capita.
When you're talking about absolute numbers.  Such as "the USA has the most cases in the world "  per capita testing doesnt mean anything at all

I’m not gonna hammer this because it is a minor deal and not something worth arguing about but I don’t agree with the “whatever” part of your statement.  Leaders have to be very careful with their words, it comes with the territory. I know you don’t view our politicians as leaders, and that’s fine it’s certainly your choice, but the overwhelming majority of human beings do. And when a leader says some stupid #### like that it is something that’s going to get under peoples skin.  It reeks of being disconnected from the situation.  
You meed to clarify your statement.

The majority of liberals do. .not the majority of people.

Slapdash said:
This gives America First new meaning:

David Leonhardt

@DLeonhardt 6h

Arizona has had more new virus cases (per capita) over the last week than any country in the world. Here's a ranking that treats each U.S. state as a country:

1. Arizona

2. Florida

3. S. Carolina

4. Bahrain

5. Louisiana

6. Qatar

7. Oman
You guys crack me up with these comparisons.  I swear. 

Imma just take a guess, just a guess that Bahrain, Qatar, and Oman might not have tested as many people.  I mean call me crazy but

When you're talking about absolute numbers.  Such as "the USA has the most cases in the world "  per capita testing doesnt mean anything at all
Above is what you had commented on

It’s not a competition. The USA, by any measure, is doing a terrible job with this virus.  If a few countries are doing worse, that’s really irrelevant. 

It’s not a competition. The USA, by any measure, is doing a terrible job with this virus.  If a few countries are doing worse, that’s really irrelevant. 
Oh I know.  I come to this site and I can read all day about how horrible we are as a country. 

The problem isn't identifying that sending kids back to school at this time is a risk. The problem is identifying the risk and having no plan or consideration of providing resources for mitigation of the risk while attempting to force people to accept the risk. That is outrageous coming from the Federal government. Better to say nothing at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does this site have to do with how the USA is handling this virus?
Huh?

I'm just pointing out if anyone would like to read about how horrible this country is, over a multitude of topics, this is the place to come.

You meed to clarify your statement.

The majority of liberals do. .not the majority of people.
Disagree.  It’s not black and white (or lib and conservatives) like you seems to want to make it.  The overwhelming majority of people expect people in leadership positions to lead. Plain and simple. No matter how you want to couch it these elected officials are leaders. Does that mean we follow like sheep, of course not, does that mean that we listen to every single word they say as gospel, of course not. But that does not mean we shouldn’t hold them accountable or expect them to act in a certain way. 

I am not a liberal, and I’m certainly not a sheep waiting to be told what to do, but I do expect our leaders to lead and I do listen to them when they are attempting to. I don’t always agree and I don’t always follow but I do expect them to lead.  

And not to sidetrack this discussion any further but if the last few presidential elections mean anything the majority are liberal by your standards. Ie popular vote.  

Until the job becomes a complete figurehead like the monarchy in Britain, the role of President is to provide executive leadership for the Federal Government as our elected representative for that role. That's the job, leadership. If we don't need that, let's get rid of the office. I'm fine with that. I don't think our Federal Government is working as intended when it was initially conceived, maybe it's time for a more parliamentary approach.

As the economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic continues, almost one-third of U.S. households, 32%, have not made their full housing payments for July yet, according to a survey by Apartment List, an online rental platform.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/32-percent-of-us-households-missed-their-july-housing-payments.html

That is so insanely high, I don’t think I believe it. 
Unfortunately, I do.  I never thought I would see people abandoning their homes en masse, yet 10+ years ago, there we were.   Everyone keeps ignoring the fact that the vast majority of people in the US live paycheck to paycheck and have nothing, or next to nothing in savings. 

Unfortunately, I do.  I never thought I would see people abandoning their homes en masse, yet 10+ years ago, there we were.   Everyone keeps ignoring the fact that the vast majority of people in the US live paycheck to paycheck and have nothing, or next to nothing in savings. 
Yeah, that's why I don't really understand when people say stuff like "if the economy gets better by November, that'll help Trump."  The next few months are going to be a huge economic hardship for most of the country.  Things are not getting better any time soon.  

Reopening schools when daily records are being set for new cases is bonkers.  Yes, the debate about balancing health risk to the kids, teachers, and all those they will infect against access to education is one that is nuanced and needs to be had.  But a discussion of opening schools while the rona is raging across the country is ridiculous.  It shouldn't be done.

Until the job becomes a complete figurehead like the monarchy in Britain, the role of President is to provide executive leadership for the Federal Government as our elected representative for that role. That's the job, leadership. If we don't need that, let's get rid of the office. I'm fine with that. I don't think our Federal Government is working as intended when it was initially conceived, maybe it's time for a more parliamentary approach.
Presidential democracy has been an unmitigated disaster, outside of the American experience (until recently?).  It almost always devolves back into some form of authoritarianism.   Almost without fail.  Which, of course, is not surprising.  Presidential democracy is a lightning rod for corruption.

Trump and his administration's response to this has been absolutely disgraceful over the past couple of weeks. 

• Holding rallies (thank god they've finally started moving them indoors)
  • Gaslighting the public about how the high case numbers aren't a big deal and that it's only a result of more testing, completely ignoring the rising and high positivity rates
  • Attempting to force schools to open back within a month as we're seeing massive outbreaks in multiple US regions
  • Trump still refuses to wear and promote wearing masks 
I just don't understand how any reasonable person can be okay with what's happening right now. Granted, a lot of this spread is due to ignorant and selfish people, but this administration is doing absolutely nothing to help the cause and is encouraging behavior that will result in thousands of more deaths. It's so painfully obvious that they're failing this country.

Presidential democracy has been an unmitigated disaster, outside of the American experience (until recently?).  It almost always devolves back into some form of authoritarianism.   Almost without fail.  Which, of course, is not surprising.  Presidential democracy is a lightning rod for corruption.
Even parliamentary governments with a strong Prime Minister are subject to this as well. Look at Israel for instance.

@matuski was posting recently that some rural counties near San Antonio had hospitals still with sufficient capacity to host elective surgery. Maybe those facilities will be pressed into service.
I have been in 14 elective surgeries the last 10 days.  The surgeons are finding ways to get things done.  Never hustled so hard in my life to keep people happy, but happy to do so.

I am reading these headlines about hospitals being overran... walking through the facilities I do not get that impression at all.  I see a doc from Methodist on TV this morning crying wolf, while the 5 large hospitals in walking distance are fine (firsthand).  Send them across the street?  Wtf.

The partisan spin on this #### is exhausting and nauseating.

My wife's workout buddy tested positive over the weekend.

The gym just told her.

She does not have symptoms, and so she does not qualify to be tested here.  Welp - there is your horror story headline about positive test %'s going up.  Only test symptomatic people, create the worst data set you can.  Awesome work folks.

I saw a piece John Oliver did a few weeks back on evictions. Seems like a wave of newly homeless people may be on the horizon. And I'd think shortly after that, there'll be a wave of over-leveraged real estate related bankruptcies. Governments are going to have to step in to provide more relief to these people pretty soon or things could get really ugly. I just hope the money gets to those who need it the most.

My wife's workout buddy tested positive over the weekend.

The gym just told her.

She does not have symptoms, and so she does not qualify to be tested here.  Welp - there is your horror story headline about positive test %'s going up.  Only test symptomatic people, create the worst data set you can.  Awesome work folks.
Sorry to hear that, hope she's avoided it.

Yeah, that's why I don't really understand when people say stuff like "if the economy gets better by November, that'll help Trump."  The next few months are going to be a huge economic hardship for most of the country.  Things are not getting better any time soon.  
A lot of people like to focus on rates of change vs absolutes, so there was a decent chance all of those rate of change numbers would be  on fire in the fall even if we haven't returned back to prior output highs. I doubt that matters now because, by trying to put the economy over the virus, we have hurt both more. Policymakers like Trump and DeSantis do not understand the virus is in control.

I hope we all have it.  Honestly.
We all will eventually. Better to get it when there are fewer active cases overall I figure. I know your experience has been different so far, but I don't want to be anywhere near a hospital right now.

We all will eventually. Better to get it when there are fewer active cases overall I figure. I know your experience has been different so far, but I don't want to be anywhere near a hospital right now.
True.

eta - I am all over the hospitals though.  :lmao:

A lot of people like to focus on rates of change vs absolutes, so there was a decent chance all of those rate of change numbers would be  on fire in the fall even if we haven't returned back to prior output highs. I doubt that matters now because, by trying to put the economy over the virus, we have hurt both more. Policymakers like Trump and DeSantis do not understand the virus is in control.
I get that, but I guess I don't understand why anyone would think the rate of change numbers would be on fire in the fall.  When a business closes down, it's not like another business can instantly open up to replace it.  Things take time to work their way through the economy.  A V-shaped recovery from this always seemed to me to be a complete fantasy.  

Are people really expecting the entire country to contract COVID? I mean right now there are over 3 million confirmed cases. Even if we say it’s really 10x more than that, that’s not even 10% of the country.

It shouldn’t be more than 6 months until we have a vaccine. If the whole country got the virus before then, that would be such an epic level of failure by our leadership. Not to mention it would result in a couple million of deaths.

I get that, but I guess I don't understand why anyone would think the rate of change numbers would be on fire in the fall.  When a business closes down, it's not like another business can instantly open up to replace it.  Things take time to work their way through the economy.  A V-shaped recovery from this always seemed to me to be a complete fantasy.  
There will always be some benefit from reopening (if we had been able). So if 2Q20 GDP is the around -35%, even a third of a bounceback around 10% would be massive, historically large numbers. Same thing with employment and any other metric. Even if we are far from peak.

But, yeah, a true V before the 2nd wave of late fall/early winter was always wishful thinking.

I agree....Trump has not led,  Biden coming in pushing 80 years old will be a figure head.  Things ae changing..time to get rid of the POTUS too.

Speaking of economic numbers, initial claims are still stupidly high while the GOP seems unwilling to extend further unemployment benefits. While the initial wave of this really hit retail and entertainment sectors, I'd guess we are going to start seeing larger corporate layoffs soon. Probably about time for another bailout of Trump's allies.

Remember a few months back when Trump was being compared to the mayor of Amity from Jaws? That was both hilarious and very apt. 

But now try to imagine if, AFTER the 4th of July scene in the movie, the mayor continued to push for people to go to the beach, argued that the shark was no big deal, and that children especially needed to get in the water? 

I have been in 14 elective surgeries the last 10 days.  The surgeons are finding ways to get things done.  Never hustled so hard in my life to keep people happy, but happy to do so.

I am reading these headlines about hospitals being overran... walking through the facilities I do not get that impression at all.  I see a doc from Methodist on TV this morning crying wolf, while the 5 large hospitals in walking distance are fine (firsthand).  Send them across the street?  Wtf.

The partisan spin on this #### is exhausting and nauseating.
Hey man, thanks for what you do.  Hang in there.

Are people really expecting the entire country to contract COVID? I mean right now there are over 3 million confirmed cases. Even if we say it’s really 10x more than that, that’s not even 10% of the country.

It shouldn’t be more than 6 months until we have a vaccine. If the whole country got the virus before then, that would be such an epic level of failure by our leadership. Not to mention it would result in a couple million of deaths.
A couple of weeks ago Dr. Gottlieb said he believed half the country would get it. 

Even parliamentary governments with a strong Prime Minister are subject to this as well. Look at Israel for instance.
Good example, but a historical outlier.  Parliamentary democracy is ubiquitous in the first world.  It has flaws, but it has proven reliable.  

Disagree.  It’s not black and white (or lib and conservatives) like you seems to want to make it.  The overwhelming majority of people expect people in leadership positions to lead. Plain and simple. No matter how you want to couch it these elected officials are leaders. Does that mean we follow like sheep, of course not, does that mean that we listen to every single word they say as gospel, of course not. But that does not mean we shouldn’t hold them accountable or expect them to act in a certain way. 

I am not a liberal, and I’m certainly not a sheep waiting to be told what to do, but I do expect our leaders to lead and I do listen to them when they are attempting to. I don’t always agree and I don’t always follow but I do expect them to lead.  

And not to sidetrack this discussion any further but if the last few presidential elections mean anything the majority are liberal by your standards. Ie popular vote.  
Youre wrong.  I appreciate your opinion, but you are wrong

I have two teenage high school kids who are currently scheduled to go back to school in less than four weeks here in Georgia. We're planning to opt into full-time on-line learning for at least the first semester. My oldest and my wife have asthma and I'm not putting either of them at risk. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread