What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half the people in the US don’t even get the flu, which can be deadly, vaccine. 
Correct, but compliance has been trending up. And it's no longer egg-based and has not been a live virus vaccine for a long time, so you can't get the flu from the vaccine.

This pandemic should move compliance even higher.

Per class, yes? 
Yes 8 preschool children per class, with one lead teacher and 1 aide. It was 16 students (or more) with 2 aides, pre-pandemic. The school cut down on administration so the teachers could maintain their prior salary. 

But my roommate's new contract has 10-day termination clause if there aren't enough students, which good happen if kids drop out due to COVID. She's transitioning to public school for next year, as salary, benefits and job security are better. 

This is like watching a slow motion car wreck.  Everyone knows what is happening but doing nothing about it.   At least in March, there was a response.  Now basically nothing.

Yup, we locked down in March here in NY before deaths started to spike.  Last few days of death numbers are starting to increase.  Looks like all these new cases are turning into something not good.  I truly hope I am wrong about this.  I would happily eat a ton of crow if deaths don't start going up and Tuesday (993) and Wednesday (890) are just outliers and we go back to lower numbers we saw last week for those days where we had about 600 on each of those days as well as the low death numbers over the long weekend.  

Correct, but compliance has been trending up. And it's no longer egg-based and has not been a live virus vaccine for a long time, so you can't get the flu from the vaccine.

This pandemic should move compliance even higher.
I would think that's a guarantee.

So you're saying the CDC is inaccurate and Fake news?
Another 900 plus deaths today. Look at the last three days of numbers here and tell me it doesn’t look like an increase.  Deaths are the last thing to come - first a rise in cases, then increases in hospitalizations and then deaths. Not sure why there is a belief now will be any different then any other hot spot. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: rct
Really sad and confused at what the covid deniers are doing in real time in this thread.  I bowed out a month or two ago but to come back and see this b.s.?  It’s inhuman to be quite frank...and to make light during a time like this when folks are truly suffering?  Really can’t imagine a worse piece of shtick for this board and what that says about a person who engages in it.  I’ll see myself out.

Another 900 plus deaths today. Look at the last three days of numbers here and tell me it doesn’t look like an increase.  Deaths are the last thing to come - first a rise in cases, then increases in hospitalizations and then deaths. Not sure why there is a belief then now will be any different then any other hot spot. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Im just asking if you think the CDC numbers are wrong?  If so why?

Rush hour is back.  :thumbdown:

Zoo opened up. 

Disneyland opening. 

School opening in fall. 

America getting back to normal.  :thumbup:
I'm sorry. I let a lot of the political stuff come and go but this is really irresponsible to post this garbage. We are knee deep in a pretty severe wave of infections where I live and all of our local hospitals are surging with COVID cases:  https://www.ajc.com/news/are-headed-for-crisis-hospital-beds-dwindle-virus-cases-soar/I1KwQCh0Sji5zVq1MoywJL/

People who think that this is just going to magically go away by reopening everything are contributing to the problem. Hard stop. You want examples? I've got a friend of a friend currently fighting for his life on a ventilator right now. Things aren't "getting back to normal" for him or his family or scores of people like them in many areas around the country. This kind of garbage, quite simply, puts people at risk. This isn't a "political opinion" you're posting. It's careless, rah-rah BS. 

I'm sorry. I let a lot of the political stuff come and go but this is really irresponsible to post this garbage. We are knee deep in a pretty severe wave of infections where I live and all of our local hospitals are surging with COVID cases:  https://www.ajc.com/news/are-headed-for-crisis-hospital-beds-dwindle-virus-cases-soar/I1KwQCh0Sji5zVq1MoywJL/

People who think that this is just going to magically go away by reopening everything are contributing to the problem. Hard stop. You want examples? I've got a friend of a friend currently fighting for his life on a ventilator right now. Things aren't "getting back to normal" for him or his family or scores of people like them in many areas around the country. This kind of garbage, quite simply, puts people at risk. This isn't a "political opinion" you're posting. It's careless, rah-rah BS. 
Um what kind of garbage?  Was what he said lies somehow?

And I personally am happy to see the economy open up somewhat. I KNOW that hurts some, especially if you have direct knowledge of someone who was hurt by this disease.
But I know people that lost everything or almost everything when we shut down the state here in Michigan.  it will take them years and years to recover, if they recover at all.

My wife's best friends husband killed himself.  Because he lost his business.  There has to be some balance here.

Not to mention the million or so other deaths related to this.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/death-toll-other-diseases-pandemic-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

Really sad and confused at what the covid deniers are doing in real time in this thread.  I bowed out a month or two ago but to come back and see this b.s.?  It’s inhuman to be quite frank...and to make light during a time like this when folks are truly suffering?  Really can’t imagine a worse piece of shtick for this board and what that says about a person who engages in it.  I’ll see myself out.
But at least some posters got some laughs, weird manliness points, and likes yesterday because they are not scared and hiding inside sucking their thumbs.  

Um what kind of garbage?  Was what he said lies somehow?
I think the issue people are taking with it is tony appears to be parroting talking points that seem to not be true when you consider we had 61k cases and 1k deaths yesterday.  Whether tony is trolling, lying or just naive - who knows and honestly I don't care because I have him on ignore.  But it's at a minimum a bad take considering the facts right in front of us.

I think that every reasonable person in this country would like things to open back up.  I also think every reasonable person in this country recognizes that to do so, we have to change some behaviors.  If we could just convince all of the unreasonable people to wear a mask where it's appropriate, adhere to physical distancing guidelines, and to just having some basic level of concern for the well being of those around you, we would likely be heading towards that universal re-opening.

Unfortunately, unreasonable people rule the day, so here we are.  

Sadly, it's not too confusing. It's all a partisan game. They know the pandemic makes Trump look bad so they refuse to acknowledge how bad things currently are and want to pretend that everything is going back to normal by opening things up. That's what Trump is doing so they feel the need to get behind it.

Of course if Obama or Biden was in charge and did exactly what Trump did, they would be ripping them a new one and complaining about the seriousness of the virus. It really is gross to see people so wrapped into their political side that they will defend them at all costs, even over a clear mishandling of a worldwide pandemic that is killing hundreds of Americans each day.

Some editorials this morning are calling for a return to shutdown. I raised that issue two weeks ago but now I don’t know if it’s possible. 

But there should be no indoor dining, and all inside retail needs to restrict the amount of people allowed in a store. We need to have social distancing everywhere. 

I really thought this country reached peak selfishness a few years ago but the last 6 months have been eye opening.

I drove by some protestors yesterday- “Honk If you want to impeach Newsom!” Their biggest complaint (per social media): Newsom has banned singing in church. 

Always seems weird to see a bunch of white middle aged protesters in affluent OC. Naturally none of them were wearing masks. 

Some editorials this morning are calling for a return to shutdown. I raised that issue two weeks ago but now I don’t know if it’s possible. 

But there should be no indoor dining, and all inside retail needs to restrict the amount of people allowed in a store. We need to have social distancing everywhere. 
Arizona, Florida and large parts of Texas and Cali need to shutdown.  Other states need to take a serious look at it.  NY state shut down before there was a big rise in cases and death and see what happened.  Every day we wait is costing lives and the economy as well since local economies will grind to a halt due to the virus itself without a shut-down.  It will just happen later and cost lives.

Sadly, it's not too confusing. It's all a partisan game. They know the pandemic makes Trump look bad so they refuse to acknowledge how bad things currently are and want to pretend that everything is going back to normal by opening things up. That's what Trump is doing so they feel the need to get behind it.

Of course if Obama or Biden was in charge and did exactly what Trump did, they would be ripping them a new one and complaining about the seriousness of the virus. It really is gross to see people so wrapped into their political side that they will defend them at all costs, even over a clear mishandling of a worldwide pandemic that is killing hundreds of Americans each day.
Just from a purely tactical standpoint, I’m still stunned at how Trump has handled this. It was perfectly setup for him to take advantage of the situation and he ultimately could have come out of it actually looking like he did the right thing. Even very early on he made indications that he was going to stop incoming flights from China and then backed off. If he had pressed that and taken everything really seriously from the beginning and blamed the Chinese for the whole thing (without being racist and calling it the Kung Flu), he not only would have had total support from his core supporters, he would have actually been doing the right thing and eventually received credit for doing the right thing from the beginning. We literally could have been the success story by scaring everyone in the US into taking it more seriously than the rest of the world by hyping it up and blaming the Chinese. It would have been a winning move using the wrong motivations, but a winning move none the less.

Now he’s backed himself into both trying to downplay it all while also trying to blame China, but that shop has sailed. Those who scoff are the virus aren’t blaming China because they don’t have a reason to blame them if nothing is truly wrong. And for everyone else that DOES believe this is a huge deal, there’s no reason to blame China when leadership here keeps downplaying it and so many other countries have controlled it through fairly easy solutions. China may have originally been at fault, but what we have now is the result of our own decisions.

It’s just hard to believe we’re where we are now when the situation honestly was setup perfectly for Trump’s narrative. Honestly, I still can’t figure out why he ended up going in the other direction. 

Arizona, Florida and large parts of Texas and Cali need to shutdown.  Other states need to take a serious look at it.  NY state shut down before there was a big rise in cases and death and see what happened.  Every day we wait is costing lives and the economy as well since local economies will grind to a halt due to the virus itself without a shut-down.  It will just happen later and cost lives.
Maybe. In my neck of the woods (so Cal) I cant see us shutting down completely again. 

Completely and utterly disagree

Just from a purely tactical standpoint, I’m still stunned at how Trump has handled this. It was perfectly setup for him to take advantage of the situation and he ultimately could have come out of it actually looking like he did the right thing. Even very early on he made indications that he was going to stop incoming flights from China and then backed off. If he had pressed that and taken everything really seriously from the beginning and blamed the Chinese for the whole thing (without being racist and calling it the Kung Flu), he not only would have had total support from his core supporters, he would have actually been doing the right thing and eventually received credit for doing the right thing from the beginning. We literally could have been the success story by scaring everyone in the US into taking it more seriously than the rest of the world by hyping it up and blaming the Chinese. It would have been a winning move using the wrong motivations, but a winning move none the less.

Now he’s backed himself into both trying to downplay it all while also trying to blame China, but that shop has sailed. Those who scoff are the virus aren’t blaming China because they don’t have a reason to blame them if nothing is truly wrong. And for everyone else that DOES believe this is a huge deal, there’s no reason to blame China when leadership here keeps downplaying it and so many other countries have controlled it through fairly easy solutions. China may have originally been at fault, but what we have now is the result of our own decisions.

It’s just hard to believe we’re where we are now when the situation honestly was setup perfectly for Trump’s narrative. Honestly, I still can’t figure out why he ended up going in the other direction. 
I think he got scared. He didn’t want to be blamed if something went wrong so he made it the state’s’ responsibility. 
Trump doesn’t seem to enjoy governing. 

Yep, all he had to do was take it seriously from the beginning and promote social distancing/mask wearing. He could then have said we did the best we could but China brought it in here and now we have it under control. If he had just done that around April, his poll numbers would be much different right now. 

Not sure where you are in Cali but some of the worse hit places in Cali are SoCal so would think it needs a shutdown.  
Orange County and I don’t necessarily disagree with you. But what we need and what will happen are two very different things. I think we opened up way too early but once we did, it’s probably too late. You can hit the dim switch in a few places (close down bars, no indoor dining, etc.) but once the machinery starts up again it’s very hard to turn it off. 

Orange County and I don’t necessarily disagree with you. But what we need and what will happen are two very different things. I think we opened up way too early but once we did, it’s probably too late. You can hit the dim switch in a few places (close down bars, no indoor dining, etc.) but once the machinery starts up again it’s very hard to turn it off. 
I said need as well.  Not sure it is going to happen but honestly a shutdown will happen eventually.  Having been close to this thing I think it is hard to describe how terrifying it is when you know dozens of people sick (people your age getting admitted to the hospital (early 40s)), multiple friends parents dying, a friend of yours getting placed on a ventilator and then dying a month later (she was in her mid-50s) and your local hospital two block from your house with refrigeration trucks parked outside.  I pry that doesn't happen again in this country.  

Completely blows my mind...most baffling thing I've faced since the Y2K scare.  "You can't shut down!!!!!!!" grouped with "You can't make me wear a mask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The answer is starring you directly in the face and you can't (or don't want to ) see it.  It's like someone who genuinely believes that 2+2=5.  It's really simple...we either stop being selfish or we don't.  If we stop being selfish things don't have to be shut down.  If we continue being selfish shutting down is the only option left.

Completely blows my mind...most baffling thing I've faced since the Y2K scare.  "You can't shut down!!!!!!!" grouped with "You can't make me wear a mask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The answer is starring you directly in the face and you can't (or don't want to ) see it.  It's like someone who genuinely believes that 2+2=5.  It's really simple...we either stop being selfish or we don't.  If we stop being selfish things don't have to be shut down.  If we continue being selfish shutting down is the only option left.
Both opinions, no shut down and don't force them to wear a mask, are tethered to the same false premise:  That individuals are capable of being responsible for themselves.  That doesn't work when people act selfishly and remain ignorant of the science behind the government's requests.

Rush hour is back.  :thumbdown:

Zoo opened up. 

Disneyland opening. 

School opening in fall. 

America getting back to normal.  :thumbup:
If you ignore the unemployment, sickness, death caused by sheer negligence and incompetence, unparalleled by any other nation in the world.  Sure.  Back to normal.  By all means continue with the childish trolling.
Yeah, I don't get what's so hilarious about 135,000 dead Americans and millions of people that got really ill.  He's a sick person, man.

supermike80 said:
Sorry.  I dont think closing down states is the right solution.  Doesn't make me a bad person by the way.  Just don't agree it's the right thing to do.
Ok, what do you think is the right thing to do is?  I am sorry to hear about your friend in your prior posts.  To be honest, we are in a horrible place at this point.  A virus spreading like crazy and no real response to it.   We opened up way to early in most places but not sure there is another way to slow it down then putting in place lockdowns that have proven to work.  

Ok, what do you think is the right thing to do is?  I am sorry to hear about your friend in your prior posts.  To be honest, we are in a horrible place at this point.  A virus spreading like crazy and no real response to it.   We opened up way to early in most places but not sure there is another way to slow it down then putting in place lockdowns that have proven to work.  
When you say "proven to work" if you are only using one statistic to support that then it cannot be argued. I will counter that the lockdowns were proven to destroy millions of businesses, jobs, families and lives as well.    I refuse to go with the "if we save one life" reasoning for this.

If you are vulnerable, stay home.  If you are terrified, stay home.  Wear masks when you go out.  Social distance.  All the things we have been asked to do.  

When you say "proven to work" if you are only using one statistic to support that then it cannot be argued. I will counter that the lockdowns were proven to destroy millions of businesses, jobs, families and lives as well.    I refuse to go with the "if we save one life" reasoning for this.

If you are vulnerable, stay home.  If you are terrified, stay home.  Wear masks when you go out.  Social distance.  All the things we have been asked to do.  
I look at Europe, Asia and other countries that have had outbreaks as bad as ours and are basically fully reopened without huge spread now.  See link below comparing the US to the EU on cases.  This graph is also like two weeks old and we are at 60k cases a day so it isn't even worse here but EU is still basically flat.

I don't think we can possibly say save every life and I don't buy that argument.  However, I don't want our hospitals overrun with patients so they can't fully treat them.  We are at that point now in places in this country.  I actually think at the end of the day the economic ruin will be worse now.  If we had looked down longer and harder we wouldn't be having this issue now.  At this point, we are going to have a second set of lockdown in places either by govt. order or local economies will just shut down as people all self isolate.  We are getting that either way at some point.  I say earlier the better to save lives.

https://www.gzeromedia.com/the-graphic-truth-two-different-pandemics-eu-vs-us

I look at Europe, Asia and other countries that have had outbreaks as bad as ours and are basically fully reopened without huge spread now.  See link below comparing the US to the EU on cases.  This graph is also like two weeks old and we are at 60k cases a day so it isn't even worse here but EU is still basically flat.

I don't think we can possibly say save every life and I don't buy that argument.  However, I don't want our hospitals overrun with patients so they can't fully treat them.  We are at that point now in places in this country.  I actually think at the end of the day the economic ruin will be worse now.  If we had looked down longer and harder we wouldn't be having this issue now.  At this point, we are going to have a second set of lockdown in places either by govt. order or local economies will just shut down as people all self isolate.  We are getting that either way at some point.  I say earlier the better to save lives.

https://www.gzeromedia.com/the-graphic-truth-two-different-pandemics-eu-vs-us
Appreciate your thoughts.  I don't agree however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread