What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buchanan made bad choices but in truth he had no easy choices. Neither did Herbert Hoover, the other candidate. 
Trump had some easy choices early on: advise a national shut down, invoke the Defense Production Act. Then later on all he had to do was let the public health experts lead and get the heck out of the way. 
"We're not a shipping clerk." 

https://twitter.com/covid19tracking/status/1281708256629424128?s=21 

Florida is now reporting hospitalizations and it looks like the country is getting close to our peak back in April. Cases are obviously rising, the positive rate doesn’t appear to be going down and deaths are starting to climb back up. The next couple of weeks might get very ugly.
We've well surpassed the April peak. There are over 60,000 new cases per day now. Back in April the highest single day was about 39,000 new cases. 

We've well surpassed the April peak. There are over 60,000 new cases per day now. Back in April the highest single day was about 39,000 new cases. 
True, I was talking in terms of the peak we had in hospitalizations. But yes, cases are already higher than our peak so wouldn’t surprise me if hospitalizations break our peak as well.

AAABatteries said:
That would require him to:

• do work
  • know what to do
  • have the influence and temperament to get it done
  • be open to the idea that he could fail and be held accountable for bad decisions
He's averse or unable to do virtually all of those.
care

@tonydead has said some incomprehensible things in this thread, and others. He spent the last few months encouraging people not to wear masks (he seems to have walked away from that, thankfully.) He has celebrated big crowds and mocked social distancing. His defense of Trump at times is to the point of absurdity; I think he has me on ignore because of our previous disagreements on that subject so he probably won’t read this unless someone responds. 

On the other hand he sometimes offers very insightful, thoughtful commentary, as he did yesterday in the thread about schools. He’s normally no troll, and a pretty smart dude. I can’t explain his shtick on this subject. I don’t get it. 
I agree, I’ve always enjoyed Tony’s posts in most threads.  As bad as his corona-related posts have been, I think it’s a great example of how confused people can get when they get all their news from an echo chamber of disinformation. One day he will look back and realize he was wrong. 

Sadly, that seems to be the next step.  People simply aren't doing what is necessary to get us out of this.  I have ZERO confidence the next step will ever be taken, especially here in Florida, but in my view that's what's necessary if they aren't going to start shutting parts of the economy down again.
The messaging for mask wearing has to change. It's no use telling selfish people that the reason you wear a mask is to protect others. The message should be to wear a mask now so that we can have sports, concerts,  travel, parties etc later. There has to be something in it for them. 

Everybody is so afraid about this. It’s not going to be close. Trump is going to crushed in November. 
Please stop with this.  You don't know that.  If you did you'd be a multi-millionaire after the election with your gambling winnings.  

The odds favor Biden right now but it's nowhere close to as certain as you keep suggesting. 

Predictit has it 60/40.  You're not smarter than the market. 

Please stop with this.  You don't know that.  If you did you'd be a multi-millionaire after the election with your gambling winnings.  

The odds favor Biden right now but it's nowhere close to as certain as you keep suggesting. 

Predictit has it 60/40.  You're not smarter than the market. 
Of course I don’t know. All I can do is offer my opinion. Which is: it won’t be close. 

Of course I don’t know. All I can do is offer my opinion. Which is: it won’t be close. 
I don’t usually make predictions but I agree with you - save something big happening (Biden health issue) I think Trump is done.  COVID and how he’s handled it will bury him - his incompetence, lack of leadership and the inevitable poor economy.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is cases were higher back then so we still have a chance. NY state peaked at about 10k reported cases which were just people testing positive. There was not enough testing to test all the sick people then and if you look at NYC antibody testing survey about 20 percent of NYC residents were positive. That translates to about 1 million cases in NYC alone. 

Ancedotal, at that time in NY they were instructing people not to get tested and I was aware of people who were admitted to the hospital as covid patients but never tested as they were basically only testing people who were put on vents. 

I don’t usually make predictions but I agree with you - save something big happening (Biden health issue) I think Trump is done.  COVID and how he’s handled it will bury him - his incompetence, lack of leadership and the inevitable poor economy.
Unfortunately I’m not sure it’s moved the needle as scary as that is. I realize it’s purely anecdotal but I’ve literally not met one person who voted for Trump last time who won’t do so again.  The only way I see Trump losing right now is if more people showed up to vote, specifically in the swing states, then did in 2016.

I do know a few people who sat out 2016 due to the frustrations of the candidates who will not do so this time. 

Unfortunately I’m not sure it’s moved the needle as scary as that is. I realize it’s purely anecdotal but I’ve literally not met one person who voted for Trump last time who won’t do so again.  The only way I see Trump losing right now is if more people showed up to vote, specifically in the swing states, then did in 2016.

I do know a few people who sat out 2016 due to the frustrations of the candidates who will not do so this time. 
A lot of people said they were voting for Clinton last time because they were too embarrassed to say that they were voting Trump. I have a feeling a significant portion of those same people will say they are voting Trump again to fit in with their tribe but will vote Biden. 

The real issue is going to be able to vote. Covid will play a big factor and Trump and gang are doing their usual to suppress the vote. 

Epic failure': U.S. election officials warn of November chaos due to budget crunch

A lot of people said they were voting for Clinton last time because they were too embarrassed to say that they were voting Trump. I have a feeling a significant portion of those same people will say they are voting Trump again to fit in with their tribe but will vote Biden. 

The real issue is going to be able to vote. Covid will play a big factor and Trump and gang are doing their usual to suppress the vote. 

Epic failure': U.S. election officials warn of November chaos due to budget crunch
Pointed to an article in the voter fraud thread suggesting that the Senate might actually be looking at funding for election issues....specifically helping to expand mail in voting.  I expected MANY to be in there all up in arms at the notion that the government was thinking about spending money on such a corrupt, fraud laden concept (allegedly) but oddly enough everyone is doing their best cricket impression in there.....weird.

It's lame that speaking truthfully about this subject leads to bans.

Back in mid March, when President Trump’s incompetent handling of COVID should have already been apparent to anyone paying attention, his public approval issue on that issue stood, amazingly, at 55%. I commented on it at the time; I couldn’t believe it. 
Now it appears the public has, over time, figured it out. His current approval rating for his handling of COVID is at 33%: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mcclatchydc.com/news/coronavirus/article244139282.html

Among independents, it’s 26%. Among Republicans it’s 78% (but in March that number was 96%). 

Anecdotal experience aside, I think there’s one polling number I’m going to watch and that’s the polling of the people who have unfavorable views of both candidates - essentially who is voting for the lesser of two evils. In 2016, a surprising amount of those people chose Trump. The polling I’ve seen so far has Biden crushing him with those voters something like 60-19.

Anecdotal experience aside, I think there’s one polling number I’m going to watch and that’s the polling of the people who have unfavorable views of both candidates - essentially who is voting for the lesser of two evils. In 2016, a surprising amount of those people chose Trump. The polling I’ve seen so far has Biden crushing him with those voters something like 60-19.
This is why I have hope. Trump is easily the most reviled president of my lifetime. There is no way, in aggregate,  that he's gained any voters. The true believers aren't going anywhere, but the people disgusted by Hillary that either sat out or voted for Trump are now significantly more put off by Trump than they ever were by Clinton. And Trump caught lightning in a bottle in '16. I'm with Tim. Its gonna be a trouncing.  Immediately followed by a(nother) constitutional crisis wherein DJT uses every trick at his disposal to cast doubt on the results. 

My guess is cases were higher back then so we still have a chance. NY state peaked at about 10k reported cases which were just people testing positive. There was not enough testing to test all the sick people then and if you look at NYC antibody testing survey about 20 percent of NYC residents were positive. That translates to about 1 million cases in NYC alone. 

Ancedotal, at that time in NY they were instructing people not to get tested and I was aware of people who were admitted to the hospital as covid patients but never tested as they were basically only testing people who were put on vents. 
There are still huge swaths of this country where there is not enough testing being done. So while we certainly did miss a huge amount of positives in NYC in April, I think we are similarly missing a huge amount of positives currently

Back in mid March, when President Trump’s incompetent handling of COVID should have already been apparent to anyone paying attention, his public approval issue on that issue stood, amazingly, at 55%. I commented on it at the time; I couldn’t believe it. 
Now it appears the public has, over time, figured it out. His current approval rating for his handling of COVID is at 33%: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mcclatchydc.com/news/coronavirus/article244139282.html

Among independents, it’s 26%. Among Republicans it’s 78% (but in March that number was 96%). 
Yup. And this is Biden’s ad. This is all he has to do.

The ridiculous comments, the mismanagement, the nonsensical tweets, ending with him saying “it will all go away like a miracle”...and scene.

The messaging for mask wearing has to change. It's no use telling selfish people that the reason you wear a mask is to protect others. The message should be to wear a mask now so that we can have sports, concerts,  travel, parties etc later. There has to be something in it for them. 
Exactly! There’s a meme going around that if you said that we needed to stay at home or wear masks to save the college football season, the entire south would be locked in their rooms. I saw another post saying that we need to do it to avoid another year of homeschooling. These are meant to be funny but they’re absolutely true. Doing it for the ‘greater good’ just isn’t working and that’s a sad indictment of our country.

Good point.  I’m in that group, both in ‘16 and now.  I’m voting 3rd party though as I’m in Cali.  Hope to help get that party a seat at the table in national debates.   

Good point.  I’m in that group, both in ‘16 and now.  I’m voting 3rd party though as I’m in Cali.  Hope to help get that party a seat at the table in national debates.   
There are no remotely viable 3rd party candidates. Vote Biden even in states where the outcome is sure. It isn't enough for Trump to lose. He needs to be overwhelmingly defeated. 

There are no remotely viable 3rd party candidates. Vote Biden even in states where the outcome is sure. It isn't enough for Trump to lose. He needs to be overwhelmingly defeated. 
The bolded matters absolutely nothing to me, I’ll vote for an empty suit.  They stand a zero percent chance of winning, it’s solely about helping get them to the 15% threshold to get into the debates and let another voice be heard.  That’s far more important for the future then widening the victory gap (which I certainly hope is massive). 

The bolded matters absolutely nothing to me, I’ll vote for an empty suit.  They stand a zero percent chance of winning, it’s solely about helping get them to the 15% threshold to get into the debates and let another voice be heard.  That’s far more important for the future then widening the victory gap (which I certainly hope is massive). 
My point is this year there are no candidates capable of getting 3%

My point is this year there are no candidates capable of getting 3%
Sure, understand. But there would be if people stopping looking at in binary terms (win or lose), especially in states like mine where it’s a  foregone conclusion where the electoral college votes are going.  Big picture thinking is required to move us forward. 

The only reason we’re having so many heatwaves this summer is because we have so many more thermometers than everyone else, best thermometers you’ve ever seen.

I voted for Trump. I hated Hillary and was intrigued by the idea of having a non politically correct President.  I knew he was scum , but so was Hillary. I have always voted conservative for full disclosure. I almost didn't vote, but the "Never Trump" movement angered me into showing up.  I stuck with him the first couple years, but cringed at some of the things he tweeted and said. His handling of the Coronavirus is negligent at best. I will not be voting for him. I will sit this election out unless we magically have two new reasonable candidates. 

I have family and friends who are very conservative, but very unhappy with Trump's handling of the pandemic. They probably will still vote for Trump given the not so good alternative. I have to believe that there are many more people like me out there than you might think. 

I voted for Trump. I hated Hillary and was intrigued by the idea of having a non politically correct President.  I knew he was scum , but so was Hillary. I have always voted conservative for full disclosure. I almost didn't vote but the "Never Trump" movement angered me into showing up.  I stuck with him the first couple years but cringed at some of the things he tweeted and said. His handling of the Coronavirus is negligent at best. I will not be voting for him. I will sit this election out unless we magically have two new reasonable candidates. 

I have family and friends who are very conservative but very unhappy with Trump's handling of the pandemic. They probably will still vote for Trump given the not so good alternative. I have to believe that there are many more people like me out there than you might think. 
There could be many more that feel like you do, but if you don't vote.... 

There could be many more that feel like you do, but if you don't vote.... 
I don't like the far left agenda and I don't like Biden. I should have seen that Trump was gonna be trouble back in 2016. That was my bad. I think it's clear that Biden is not all there and feel there is no way he gets through a first term. I think politics is corrupt and I'm sick of picking the lesser of two evils. Until there is a massive shift in how we do things or at minimum there is a rational, younger candidate, I'm out.

I don't like the far left agenda and I don't like Biden. I should have seen that Trump was gonna be trouble back in 2016. That was my bad. I think it's clear that Biden is not all there and feel there is no way he gets through a first term. I think politics is corrupt and I'm sick of picking the lesser of two evils. Until there is a massive shift in how we do things or at minimum there is a rational, younger candidate, I'm out.
Why do you dislike Biden? Just the possible age-related issues? 

Does his choice of VP sway you at all? 

Eta- also my point is people are looking for voters like you, but who will get out and vote the other way, not sit it out.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread