What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish my guy Pete Buttigieg had stayed in the race a little longer as I think his demeanor and methodology would’ve powered him through this pandemic and back into the lead.  I’m quite possibly just romanticizing the thought of him and a young, thoughtful, ideological yet not forcefully combative, inclusive administration, but I think he’d have crushed Trump during this (not really a tall task, but still) and eventually shown that Biden isn’t the choice to lead progress

I don't like the far left agenda and I don't like Biden. I should have seen that Trump was gonna be trouble back in 2016. That was my bad. I think it's clear that Biden is not all there and feel there is no way he gets through a first term. I think politics is corrupt and I'm sick of picking the lesser of two evils. Until there is a massive shift in how we do things or at minimum there is a rational, younger candidate, I'm out.
I don't understand the perspective of not voting. Would you prefer Trump or Biden to be president? 

Sure, understand. But there would be if people stopping looking at in binary terms (win or lose), especially in states like mine where it’s a  foregone conclusion where the electoral college votes are going.  Big picture thinking is required to move us forward. 
3rd parties need to focus on local and state elections. Viable presidential candidates are Senators and Governors. 

There are still huge swaths of this country where there is not enough testing being done. So while we certainly did miss a huge amount of positives in NYC in April, I think we are similarly missing a huge amount of positives currently
Agree but don’t think testing is as bad as it was back then. Over 50 percent were testing positive and instructions were to not seek testing as you couldny get testing. While testing is still in adequate in a lot places it is not like early stages of this virus. 

To be honest, southern states need to follow NE states on testing. Testing is free and available to all. Part of your checkup at this point - I got tested for antibodies and Covid at my routine physical I had this week.   NY is doing about 70k of tests a day. 

Does his choice of VP sway you at all? 

Eta- also my point is people are looking for voters like you, but who will get out and vote the other way, not sit it out.  
I think the fact that Biden is only looking at a female VP is absurd. This further reinforces how phony our government is. 

I really wish my guy Pete Buttigieg had stayed in the race a little longer as I think his demeanor and methodology would’ve powered him through this pandemic and back into the lead.  I’m quite possibly just romanticizing the thought of him and a young, thoughtful, ideological yet not forcefully combative, inclusive administration, but I think he’d have crushed Trump during this (not really a tall task, but still) and eventually shown that Biden isn’t the choice to lead progress
I really liked Pete, but he got out at the right time. Didn't have a path to the nomination without any black support and the left wing fantasies about him being some corrupt Manchurian type.

You can see the aging in Biden both physically and mentally. I literally can't watch him speak because it's embarrassing. I feel the same way about Trump. I still lean Conservative, so he isn't swaying me platform wise. 
Would you have voted for any of the Democratic candidates over Trump?

I don't understand the perspective of not voting. Would you prefer Trump or Biden to be president? 
I think government is corrupt. I no longer support a system were 50% of politicians vote one way and the other 50% vote the other. I don't think you could pick two worse candidates. If someone came along that I at least like I'd might vote for them. I prefer neither of these two. I'll happily do something else that day.

They didn't need to for it was already known. What do you have against women anyway?
This is the nonsense that motivated me to vote for Trump in the first place. Right now I would highly recommend letting Trump destroy himself rather than angering people to vote against you. 

Did you see the post were I said I would vote for Hillary? She's a woman.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the nonsense that motivated me to vote for Trump in the first place. Right now I would highly recommend letting Trump destroy himself rather than angering people to vote against you. 
Huh? You seem to be searching pretty deep to find something to be outraged over. This country has relied on old white men far too long to lead us. It is a good thing to expand our thinking on who our leaders are.

Huh? You seem to be searching pretty deep to find something to be outraged over. This country has relied on old white men far too long to lead us. It is a good thing to expand our thinking on who our leaders are.
I agree!

Why would you nominate an old white guy and then limit your VP choices to just women? We should expand our choices of leaders to include everyone.

rather than angering people to vote against you. 
you also said that in 2016 you were so angry with never trumpers that you voted for him knowing he was scum.

you present as a thoughtful person very capable of rational thought.

so i'd bet that if i asked if you generally made important decisions based on anger, you'd truthfully answer no.

i'm wondering if you have examined why anger is so motivating around your political considerations?

i realize you will likely take this as an attack, and i can't honestly say that there is none of that in my question,

but seriously, i am curious, why give anger so much power?

Rift grows between Trump, health experts amid coronavirus surge

Trump used the same criticisms in an interview Tuesday, when directly asked about Fauci's assessment one day earlier that the country is "knee deep in the first wave" of the virus.

"Well, I think we are in a good place," Trump told "Full Court Press" with Greta Van Susteren in response. "I disagree with him."
136,000 dead Americans and he says this. 

30-year-old dies after Texas 'COVID party,' thought coronavirus was a hoax

This is what you get for saying covid is a hoax and "we are in a good place".   Horrible, horrible, person.  Deaths like this are 100% on Trump's head. :(

have family and friends who are very conservative, but very unhappy with Trump's handling of the pandemic. They probably will still vote for Trump given the not so good alternative. I have to believe that there are many more people like me out there than you might think. 
I also have lots of family who voted for Trump and are fed up with him but who will never vote for a Democrat. My goal is to convince them just not to vote the top of the ticket rather than try convincing them to vote for Biden. One less vote for Trump is good enough for me. If Biden gets the same number of votes that Hillary got but Trump gets fewer than he did in 2016, I think that'll do. 

I voted for Trump. I hated Hillary and was intrigued by the idea of having a non politically correct President.  I knew he was scum , but so was Hillary. I have always voted conservative for full disclosure. I almost didn't vote, but the "Never Trump" movement angered me into showing up.  I stuck with him the first couple years, but cringed at some of the things he tweeted and said. His handling of the Coronavirus is negligent at best. I will not be voting for him. I will sit this election out unless we magically have two new reasonable candidates. 

I have family and friends who are very conservative, but very unhappy with Trump's handling of the pandemic. They probably will still vote for Trump given the not so good alternative. I have to believe that there are many more people like me out there than you might think. 
This is me. Still think Trump is the better alternative to Joe even though I agree Trump is scum who should stay off Twitter and botched CV. I actually thought he was doing a good job the first 3.5 yrs of his term.

I think government is corrupt. I no longer support a system were 50% of politicians vote one way and the other 50% vote the other. I don't think you could pick two worse candidates. If someone came along that I at least like I'd might vote for them. I prefer neither of these two. I'll happily do something else that day.
I disagree with your assessment, but even so, the reality of the world is you have 2 choices. Pick one. They are not equal at all.

I don't like the far left agenda and I don't like Biden. I should have seen that Trump was gonna be trouble back in 2016. That was my bad. I think it's clear that Biden is not all there and feel there is no way he gets through a first term. I think politics is corrupt and I'm sick of picking the lesser of two evils. Until there is a massive shift in how we do things or at minimum there is a rational, younger candidate, I'm out.
You shouldn’t sit out then, vote 3rd party so we have a better chance at having more than just 2 garbage options to choose from in the future. The majority of people I know don’t like either candidate and are just voting for the best of the worst. That is unacceptable and a failure of the 2 party system.

I sat out in 2016 and regret that decision. Not a fan of Biden at all but he has my vote in 2020 because of how destructive and inept Trump is. I’ll most likely be voting 3rd party in 2024, not going to sit out ever again like I did in 2016.

Well, his handling of the virus started in February which is when you say he started losing you. So that was just barely 3 years in to his term :)
I was talking more of his recent crap with discouraging masks and threatening to cut school funding but you always think you know everything so pointless getting into it. It's only this recent resurgence that has been mishandled. The original surge mirrors every other country. There was no stopping that by anyone. 

You shouldn’t sit out then, vote 3rd party so we have a better chance at having more than just 2 garbage options to choose from in the future. The majority of people I know don’t like either candidate and are just voting for the best of the worst. That is unacceptable and a failure of the 2 party system.

I sat out in 2016 and regret that decision. Not a fan of Biden at all but he has my vote in 2020 because of how destructive and inept Trump is. I’ll most likely be voting 3rd party in 2024, not going to sit out ever again like I did in 2016.
Voting 3rd party accomplishes nothing and is a waste of time, that's just reality.

I also have lots of family who voted for Trump and are fed up with him but who will never vote for a Democrat. My goal is to convince them just not to vote the top of the ticket rather than try convincing them to vote for Biden. One less vote for Trump is good enough for me. If Biden gets the same number of votes that Hillary got but Trump gets fewer than he did in 2016, I think that'll do. 
Yep, these are my girlfriends parents. Staunch conservatives who always weren’t a big fan of Trump’s behavior and reckless tweeting, but approved of his policies.

Doubt they would ever vote Democrat, but they’ve been visibly upset with Trump’s response to COVID and the constant downplaying of it. Really hoping they will reach their breaking point and not bother voting.

My girlfriend actually voted for Trump in 2016 but she jumped ship back in 2018 and is voting Biden for 2020. She hasn’t told her parents she plans to vote for Biden but I’m hoping that‘ll hit home with her parents too.

Voting 3rd party accomplishes nothing and is a waste of time, that's just reality.
So we should just accept the 2 party system that gives us bad options and forces us to choose between the best of the worst?

Like I said, this year I think it’s too serious to vote 3rd party if you’re in a swing state which is why I’m voting Biden, but as long as the Republicans put up a relatively respectable candidate in 2024, I’ll be voting 3rd party. Neither the Democrats or Republicans are addressing the major changes I want to see.

I was talking more of his recent crap with discouraging masks and threatening to cut school funding but you always think you know everything so pointless getting into it. It's only this recent resurgence that has been mishandled. The original surge mirrors every other country. There was no stopping that by anyone. 
I'm just ####### with you man. Times like these, laughter is all we got

So we should just accept the 2 party system that gives us bad options and forces us to choose between the best of the worst?

Like I said, this year I think it’s too serious to vote 3rd party if you’re in a swing state which is why I’m voting Biden, but as long as the Republicans put up a relatively respectable candidate in 2024, I’ll be voting 3rd party. Neither the Democrats or Republicans are addressing the major changes I want to see.
Voting 3rd party isn't going to change the system one iota.

I think it is reasonable to concede that Biden isn’t the young tyke he was, but I have full confidence he and his staff will put people in positions to be more effective than what we have today and will be much better at getting us out of our current crisis.  He will be a partner to the CDC and the WHO, rather than an adversary, and actually admit there is a problem.  That will get us on track to get our country back up and running.  What we have today is obviously not working.

We've had 3rd party candidates do well in the past, the system ain't changing.
You might be right.

But maybe this unprecedented train wreck and yet another year of astonishingly bad candidate options can give rise to a legitimate third party. Events like these can be the catalyst for real change.

You might be right.

But maybe this unprecedented train wreck and yet another year of astonishingly bad candidate options can give rise to a legitimate third party. Events like these can be the catalyst for real change.
If you believe that I've got a bridge to sell you.

The messaging for mask wearing has to change. It's no use telling selfish people that the reason you wear a mask is to protect others. The message should be to wear a mask now so that we can have sports, concerts,  travel, parties etc later. There has to be something in it for them. 
Just based on the anti- mask people here and ones i know,  i am absolutely confident changing the message would have zero impact on them. 

stopping?  probably no.  Do you think we could have lessened the impact of the original surge a bit though?

I agree!

Why would you nominate an old white guy and then limit your VP choices to just women? We should expand our choices of leaders to include everyone.
Because it's time to have some better panaromas of representation. It's long past time.

The change needs to happen and take effect, not just be given lip-service.

Betsy Devos on the morning shows today with absolutely no answers about safety except to claim that there’s no evidence that children are in any danger at all, and to also threaten that if public schools don’t open, federal money will be given to private schools instead (she doesn’t have the power to do this much as she’s always wanted to.) 

Betsy Devos on the morning shows today with absolutely no answers about safety except to claim that there’s no evidence that children are in any danger at all, and to also threaten that if public schools don’t open, federal money will be given to private schools instead (she doesn’t have the power to do this much as she’s always wanted to.) 
There is not much evidence that they are safe either. It doesn't look like there is enough research to have any strong conclusions at this time. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread