What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. The woman who made the video the removal of which is being decried as censorship by the right wing today, and which caused Don Jr. to be suspended from Twitter for posting it. She also threatened Facebook that Jesus would shut down Facebook’s servers if it doesn’t put her video back up.  Also she believes endometriosis is caused by women having dream sex with demons.  

Now known as "Dr. Demon Semen".

There is an easy way to check your work.

The Biden Plan To Combat Coronavirus

• wide availability of free testing
  • elimination of all cost barriers to preventive care and treatment for COVID-19
  • full deployment of necessary supplies
  • decisive economic response that starts with emergency paid leave for all those affected by the outbreak
  • Immediately restore the White House National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense
Plus lots and lots of other things not currently being implemented by the Trump administration.
Thank you for proving my point.

I wish I were making this up:

.@replouiegohmert: "I can’t help but wonder if by keeping a mask on and keeping it in place, if I might have put some… of the virus on the mask and breathed it in”
When coronavirus was in its infancy, if you had asked me which congressman is most likely to spread the virus to all his colleagues, I would have guessed Gohmert.  

There is an easy way to check your work.

The Biden Plan To Combat Coronavirus

• wide availability of free testing
  • elimination of all cost barriers to preventive care and treatment for COVID-19
  • full deployment of necessary supplies
  • decisive economic response that starts with emergency paid leave for all those affected by the outbreak
  • Immediately restore the White House National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense
Plus lots and lots of other things not currently being implemented by the Trump administration.
There is no national testing strategy...he punted to the states to figure that out.  According to some reports, from GOPers on this forum no less, some states still have narrow qualifications for testing.

I can give the government credit here for this....though I think the pressure came from damn near everyone on Capitol Hill...that does include the President

He had federal agencies stockpile PPE, masks, ventilators, tests etc leaving states to battle it out and figure out their own sourcing since "Obama left him nothing"

Joe should know that the President doesn't control the purse strings....neither of them would do this on their own...they can't.

I am unaware of this last thing being done.  A quick google search says it continues to not exist.  But even if he brought the band bag as alleged, so what?  He's punted to the states.  This group would be absolutely pointless with our current approach.

I'm sure the Biden admin would create a new department to be better prepared for future pandemics. I'd be curious to understand how much impact not having that in place would have changed our current circumstances.  

We're now testing between 750 and 850K most days and they claim to have a stockpile of all necessary supplies. It does concern me that a very simple question (do we have enough supplies) results in two different answers so would like to understand if we are currently prepared for the fall, and, if not, what actions are being taken to prepare.

One thing I've heard both Biden/Trump talk about, but don't recall seeing any specifics is reducing our supply chain dependency on China. Is that even realistic? Who's pushing this more and how? This would be a #1 issue for me. 
On Monday, my wife called around to CVS and other places where they do testing, and none could see us (with appointment) this week.  So we'll be doing a walk-in at a public testing facility on Friday morning.  That public walk-in is only open Wed and Fri mornings.  Why?  If there's a stockpile of supplies, why is it this difficult to get a test on demand?

I'm sure the Biden admin would create a new department to be better prepared for future pandemics. I'd be curious to understand how much impact not having that in place would have changed our current circumstances.  

We're now testing between 750 and 850K most days and they claim to have a stockpile of all necessary supplies. It does concern me that a very simple question (do we have enough supplies) results in two different answers so would like to understand if we are currently prepared for the fall, and, if not, what actions are being taken to prepare.

One thing I've heard both Biden/Trump talk about, but don't recall seeing any specifics is reducing our supply chain dependency on China. Is that even realistic? Who's pushing this more and how? This would be a #1 issue for me. 
FYI, that's roughly the level of testing that experts said was necessary back in April.  You know, back when we had 30-40k new cases per day.

With the virus at the current level, we probably need at least 2x as much.  I can't speak for other states but SC is currently at ~20% positivity rate.  IIRC, you want that to be around 5%, so really, SC needs to be testing 4x what we are doing now.

Had we contained the virus back in May timeframe, and the US growth curve mimicked other comparable western countries, 750-850k tests per day would be adequate.  

FYI, that's roughly the level of testing that experts said was necessary back in April.  You know, back when we had 30-40k new cases per day.

With the virus at the current level, we probably need at least 2x as much.  I can't speak for other states but SC is currently at ~20% positivity rate.  IIRC, you want that to be around 5%, so really, SC needs to be testing 4x what we are doing now.

Had we contained the virus back in May timeframe, and the US growth curve mimicked other comparable western countries, 750-850k tests per day would be adequate.  
They say we need 2+ million a day to try and achieve contact tracing to pinpoint things to be shutdown if necessary, but every day that passes, it becomes more and more of a pipe dream.  I think contact tracing is history...simply not going to happen and that will have us dealing with this through spring of next year, if not longer.  To get completely on top of it it would require 4+ million tests a day and include people who aren't symptomatic.

The screwed up thing about my state is we were well on our way to doing the right thing and having the appropriate levels of testing, but when the results from testing diverged from the narrative, they stuck with the narrative leaving all that testing for not.

They say we need 2+ million a day to try and achieve contact tracing to pinpoint things to be shutdown if necessary, but every day that passes, it becomes more and more of a pipe dream.  I think contact tracing is history...simply not going to happen and that will have us dealing with this through spring of next year, if not longer.  To get completely on top of it it would require 4+ million tests a day and include people who aren't symptomatic.

The screwed up thing about my state is we were well on our way to doing the right thing and having the appropriate levels of testing, but when the results from testing diverged from the narrative, they stuck with the narrative leaving all that testing for not.
Just can't get behind the first thing we need to do is figure out what to shutdown.   Crazy man. 

Just can't get behind the first thing we need to do is figure out what to shutdown.   Crazy man. 
The point of a testing/contact tracing strategy is that you can make shutdowns much more targeted. So if there's a flare-up at a school or office building or whatever, you only have to shut those down and quarantine anyone who was exposed, rather than shutting down the entire city or state. If you can actually pull it off it makes things way less disruptive.

The point of a testing/contact tracing strategy is that you can make shutdowns much more targeted. So if there's a flare-up at a school or office building or whatever, you only have to shut those down and quarantine anyone who was exposed, rather than shutting down the entire city or state. If you can actually pull it off it makes things way less disruptive.
If only we weren't the ones to pioneer this stuff and be the guinea pig for the rest of the world.  It would be so much simpler if everyone else had figured out how to control this thing and we could just piggyback on their successful methods. 

Loved hearing Biden was asked what he would do regarding COVID if he was the President and he goes on to list everything Trump is already doing.   :lol:   Classic.  

Those complaining about the government response have no legs to stand on.  We are doing almost everything correct.
Those pretending Biden would have any clue what to do with this might be the funniest thing out of the echo chamber in the last 4 years. At least second to Russiaguys.  :lmao:

Those pretending Biden would have any clue what to do with this might be the funniest thing out of the echo chamber in the last 4 years. At least second to Russiaguys.  :lmao:
Other than the playbook left by the previous administration and things out in place by the  administration he was VP for you mean?

I think he would have been much more likely to listen to science and experts than Trump was and wouldn't have played it off as some conspiracy against his re-election.

supermike80 said:
I can't tell if you agree with me in this phrasing or not, but yeah...it's crazy how we can't get the testing necessary to figure out what to shut down.  We've opted for the "bull in the China shop" approach or "sledge hammer when a scalpel is prefered" approach.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
yeah, in the comments way, way, down, (also further down a link to dr. immanuel speaking)  in the  person, alien, dna, demon, sperm link, 

a poster, commenting on what the state of trump's mind must be like, responded:

"the wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

i really like that, even though i'm not at all sure what that means.  it seems to leave itself open to interpretation,

like many of the best lyrics.

it just feels right. 

Zigg said:
Why is it so hard not to respond to obvious trolls?  At some point, you have to realize that it's not worth it, and keep the conversation relevant.  
I've never understood it either.  1.  It's not like they're bringing good information to the table and 2. They're not interested in any information you're bringing, legitimate or not.  

Just assume a baseless remark that can never be proven and a laughing emoji and call it a day.  Responding does nothing but clog up the thread.  

Last edited by a moderator:
GoBirds said:
I definitely think Biden would make plenty of mistakes. But the big difference is he would genuinely want to help the governors and this thing needed to be handled at the state level. 

I know I’m late on this, but seriously, the line that confuses me most is “I don’t know what country she’s from” when no one asked
I have a hand

someone puts phone in my hand

i press button

i see someone agreeing with me

i click retweet

whats the problem?

GoBirds said:
When asked far more people in the country would trust Biden’s decision making on this over Trump. Not sure what to tell you.

Look at countries everywere that are taken it seriously. But sadly the USA as really we need to do the same. But there are those that just sadly do not care and come as they please. Not fair for those with underlying conditions and elderly. As I have parents that have underlying conditions and in their late 60's and early 70's.

My post might not have been explained well. I don't want the first thing to come to my mind when discussing contact tracing is how can we use it to shut things down. 
Thanks....I don't think anyone does, but the reality is, given all the decisions made thus far, that's where we're at.  This constant conflation between "wanting to" and simply acknowledging the reality of where we are and what is NOW required because of decisions made is a bizarre one.  We have harped and harped and harped for more testing so we can have surgical like precision with shutdowns of individual businesses for a brief time.  I've stated my belief that a full shutdown was never necessary as long as we did the other things to keep that option of the table.  We did virtually none of those things.  As a result, here we are :shrug:  

Thanks....I don't think anyone does, but the reality is, given all the decisions made thus far, that's where we're at.  This constant conflation between "wanting to" and simply acknowledging the reality of where we are and what is NOW required because of decisions made is a bizarre one.  We have harped and harped and harped for more testing so we can have surgical like precision with shutdowns of individual businesses for a brief time.  I've stated my belief that a full shutdown was never necessary as long as we did the other things to keep that option of the table.  We did virtually none of those things.  As a result, here we are :shrug:  
Again, I don't think we should be targeting what to shut down.   That's the wrong approach.   We need to get past that.  Focus on better ways to protect not only peoples lives but their livelihoods as well.  

Again, I don't think we should be targeting what to shut down.   That's the wrong approach.   We need to get past that.  Focus on better ways to protect not only peoples lives but their livelihoods as well.  
This is why we are stuck in purgatory. 

We can’t protect livelihoods until/unless we protect peoples lives. It’s not an either/or scenario. 

We also tend to focus too much on the short term impacts without looking at the longterm impacts of our choices. Everything is about trying to satisfy our needs right now. 

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!

10:47 AM · Mar 9, 2020

It's the last resort unfortunately  :shrug: I'd much rather have the option to close a business here or there for a few days because we knew pretty confidently where things came from than have to close down entire industries in a city.  If we were at that point, I can't understand why that would be an issue to anyone honestly.

We can't rely on people to do the right thing on their own....that should be painfully obvious at this point.

Curious...if given the keys to the country for 3 months what would you do at this point?

Imagine a bunch of kids were at a sleep over and playing Mike Tyson's Punchout.  Chang plays first and quickly figures out how to beat Soda Popinski.  Aiko steps up and follows the same pattern in beating Popinski.  Then Jonas follows the same pattern.  Then Giuseppe.  Finally, Jake checks in and while he starts with the same pattern the others used, decides he's got a better way.  His better way results in loss after loss.  Everyone in the room is like, "Jake, just do it the same way we did.  It's not that hard."  But Jake's a stubborn boy.  He's not going to be told what to do.  He's going to figure it out his own way.  Thus the rest of the boys sit back and watch Jake struggle with loss after loss.  

Why do we have to be Jake? 

It's the last resort unfortunately  :shrug: I'd much rather have the option to close a business here or there for a few days because we knew pretty confidently where things came from than have to close down entire industries in a city.  If we were at that point, I can't understand why that would be an issue to anyone honestly.

We can't rely on people to do the right thing on their own....that should be painfully obvious at this point.

Curious...if given the keys to the country for 3 months what would you do at this point?
I'd open everything up.   Require masks in public, further push the value of social distancing.  Ticket those that are involved in organizing or attending large gatherings.  Ticket those who do not wear a mask in public places. 

I'd open everything up.   Require masks in public, further push the value of social distancing.  Ticket those that are involved in organizing or attending large gatherings.  Ticket those who do not wear a mask in public places. 
So...basically what's going on right now in Florida.  Do you think things are going ok here?  I really can't invision what things would look like if Disney, Universal, Performing Arts centers, nursing homes/long term care facilities were all open to the public at full capacity here in Florida.  My GUESS is it would be worse than what NYC saw, but I have no way of knowing that for sure.

...and then, when a small outbreak occurs, you use testing and contact tracing to determine where it originated.  When it is determined that it started at, say, a daycare center, you shut down the center for 3 weeks and quarantine those who work there or attend the center.

I don't want there to be crime either.  I wish we could live in a world where we didn't need jails or police, and we could leave our doors unlocked.  Unfortunately, there are things in this world we don't like but we have to accept.  

If you have better ways to prevent transmission of the virus among a population that believes mask usage is a violation of natural rights, I'd love to hear it.

Contact tracing, rigorous and electronic, in partnership with big tech and Telcos
I have the sense, that we are not ready for this aspect - that the current spread would overwhelm even the most robust/compliant contact tracing system.

I think contact tracing works well, when you have the virus under control, and you are looking to put out small flareups.

So...basically what's going on right now in Florida.  Do you think things are going ok here?  I really can't invision what things would look like if Disney, Universal, Performing Arts centers, nursing homes/long term care facilities were all open to the public at full capacity here in Florida.  My GUESS is it would be worse than what NYC saw, but I have no way of knowing that for sure.
Right..>Can't know.   

Inexcusable. Unforgivable. In the US, this is the Trump Virus. GDP contracted last quarter by 1/3. Majority of that is on him, as are the majority of deaths.

Compare it to 911. You can point to failures to prevent the threat, but let’s excuse that. Some really bad people committed terrible acts that for for most were unthinkable. Imagine if Bush stubbornly refused to improve security, and 100 more planes crashed into hundreds more buildings, one per day. That’s seriously the equivalent of what we’re dealing with, and just partly why Trump is such an historically bad President.
You've renamed the Chinese Virus the Trump Virus?  Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread