What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trouble is that Trump has put so much effort into delegitimizing Biden. So when Biden does pursue national efforts (such as masks mandates), I expect many in the country will respond with the same level of disrespect and disregard as channeled by Trump ...kind of a "he's not my president" mentality.

Some states have handled things relatively well.
I honestly think the only state that's really done a good job is Vermont. The other "relatively well" states only look good compared to the very low bar of the country as a whole. Here are some of the reasons Vermont did so well....

"— Vermont reopened slowly. The lockdown it put in place in late March is still gradually being lifted, restaurants and bars are still limited to 50 percent indoor capacity and even outdoor gatherings are still subject to a 150-person limit.

— Local governments have authority to set their own stricter rules. Burlington, the state’s most populous city, reduced its outdoor gathering limit to 25 in late August when college students began returning to nearby campuses.

— The state is also strict about visitors, requiring a two-week quarantine for people arriving from places with higher infection rates. And it invested early in testing and contact tracing and implemented a state-wide mask mandate early on.

They took action early, they let science lead, and they were consistent but willing to pivot when the science told them new strategies were needed,” said Trish Riley, executive director of the National Academy for State Health Policy."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/14/best-state-responses-to-pandemic-429376

If only we had some national leadership to encourage other states to follow a similar course. It certainly doesn't sound like it was all that radical a plan. Keeping Asian people from coming from China(unless of course they were delivering trade goods..... which is a lot of people btw) wasn't really a good start. Unfortunately the virus doesn't really care if you are Chinese or not.

You do realize there was never a "travel ban", right? Because honestly that's right up there with, "The virus will go away in March when the warmer weather comes" level of denial.

This is an utter catastrophe. I wasn't paying attention to the COVID numbers because I was absorbed with election stuff. I saw that we were hitting records but didn't really grasp what they meant until I started looking at worldometers again the past couple of days. I don't even know what to say. Where I am our numbers are double what they ever were during the height of this thing last Spring. Just ridiculous. 

This is an utter catastrophe. I wasn't paying attention to the COVID numbers because I was absorbed with election stuff. I saw that we were hitting records but didn't really grasp what they meant until I started looking at worldometers again the past couple of days. I don't even know what to say. Where I am our numbers are double what they ever were during the height of this thing last Spring. Just ridiculous. 
It is what it is. 

I run a gym, art center and rev center. After school programs, fitness classes, fitness center, art classes, cooking classes, sports leagues. etc etc. 

I am working Covid scenarios every single day. Might be a third of my time. Paid tens of thousands of dollars Covid time off. My accountant reports she had her granddaughter test positive after spending the whole weekend with her. She is near sixty and it would cross me up bad if she was out of action for significant time. Can work nominally well from home at this point. 

I have 120 staff and thousands of customers. Just one guy but it feels like the numbers look out here in Kansas. The walls are closing in. 

We need a timeout as far as I’m concerned. Pass a big relief bill, let’s go home for a period of time, suck it up, buy us some time to let the vaccine process rev up. And let’s come out and kick ### in 2021. 

By the way the body of this is pessimistic but I’m incredibly bullish on the country coming out of the other side of this. I think you’ll see the country explode with energy, activity, creativity etc. There will be some benefits for us I think that we don’t truly understand just yet. But let’s just thread the needle for a little while longer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I literally put zero stock in this report.  to me, this is entirely worthless and nothing more than a scare tactic.

They list anxiety as one of the conditions.     I mean come on.  Don't we all suffer some sort of anxiety over this?  What a stupid report
The study looked at formal psychiatric diagnoses, not just feeling anxious. There’s a big difference.

And no, I’ve not experienced an anxiety disorder, insomnia or dementia due to the existence of covid.

I literally put zero stock in this report.  to me, this is entirely worthless and nothing more than a scare tactic.

They list anxiety as one of the conditions.     I mean come on.  Don't we all suffer some sort of anxiety over this?  What a stupid report
You don't get published in a peer reviewed journal without substance. You don't get published for "scare tactics".  You really think you have enough knowledge and experience to discredit all of the scientists/physicians that gathered the data for that and put it together? 

You should know better than to think it could effectively be handled by states individually.  Because, the big problem is that we have free and open travel between all states.  So one state's decision on how to deal with Covid doesn't just affect that state.  So, in the instance of a pandemic like this, we need a coordinated NATIONAL plan and response.  Ultimately how it is enforced should be at the state level, but I think this is one of those few instances where federal oversight is needed for the good of the country. 

I don't presume to know how to go about that, but leaving it up to the states right now isn't working and I don't find that at all surprising. 
Yep, I saw this dumb idea all summer and going into the fall.  Illinois had stricter responses for a bit, so no surprise - we saw a little bit of an uptick in at the store as Ill people drove north to WI Dells and other places around here.  We even worse seem to be trying to handle it county by county in WI as Evers' suggestions get shut down but then county health departments stepped up because Madison was seeing spikes.  So now we have seen sports teams coming over to our town across the Dane Co border to practice.   0 surprise the cases around here are climbing fast.   We 100% need national leadership and rules for this.  I don't get why handling a pandemic is not something people think should be under federal control. 

I'm beginning to think we're almost back at "the Earth is the center of the Solar System" territory.
It's been building for a bit as our reading comprehension and science understanding eroded.   Then on top of that we add in social media and a leader who has eroded trust in news and science in a massive way.  

Are we going to tell local cops you need to give citations to everyone without a mask?  They're out patrolling and called to Target because we got a non-masker here on aisle 3.  C'mon. 
In New Orleans, since the beginning of July, at all the big-box retailers, grocery stores, etc. there are two NOPD deputies stationed at the entrances. Issuing a citation is not their first response to someone attempting to enter without a mask, but they will be happy to do so for anyone unmasked who cares to escalate the situation.

LaToya Cantrell: Mask-wearing is mandatory in New Orleans. The penalty? Up to a $500 fine (Times-Picayune/Advocate, 10/22/2020)

Mayor LaToya Cantrell said Thursday that people caught without a mask on in public could face a fine of up to $500, raising the threat of a financial penalty for New Orleans residents and visitors should they fail to follow rules aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus. 
In practice ... no, they aren't patrolling streets pulling over random bare-faced people. They're saving the citations for any aggressively refusing to wear a mask in an indoor retail establishment or similar.

I honestly think the only state that's really done a good job is Vermont. The other "relatively well" states only look good compared to the very low bar of the country as a whole. Here are some of the reasons Vermont did so well....

"— Vermont reopened slowly. The lockdown it put in place in late March is still gradually being lifted, restaurants and bars are still limited to 50 percent indoor capacity and even outdoor gatherings are still subject to a 150-person limit.

— Local governments have authority to set their own stricter rules. Burlington, the state’s most populous city, reduced its outdoor gathering limit to 25 in late August when college students began returning to nearby campuses.

— The state is also strict about visitors, requiring a two-week quarantine for people arriving from places with higher infection rates. And it invested early in testing and contact tracing and implemented a state-wide mask mandate early on.

They took action early, they let science lead, and they were consistent but willing to pivot when the science told them new strategies were needed,” said Trish Riley, executive director of the National Academy for State Health Policy."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/14/best-state-responses-to-pandemic-429376

If only we had some national leadership to encourage other states to follow a similar course. It certainly doesn't sound like it was all that radical a plan. Keeping Asian people from coming from China(unless of course they were delivering trade goods..... which is a lot of people btw) wasn't really a good start. Unfortunately the virus doesn't really care if you are Chinese or not.

You do realize there was never a "travel ban", right? Because honestly that's right up there with, "The virus will go away in March when the warmer weather comes" level of denial.
Looking at rt.live VT is a dumpster fire right now.. As are NY, CA, IL, ME, OR.  States that crushed personal liberty in the effort to curb the virus.  My lowly country bumpkin state, AL, has continued to have a transmission record better than those states while largely retaining personal freedoms (though we were very early on the mask mandate).  I'm confused on the love for VT here.

Back in April I couldn't even stream a Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/Vudu/etc. movie without a brief Covid message.  That all went away by the time that wearing a mask was being promoted.   I have to assume with a change in leadership that this is returning.  That the Ad Council is going to get some extra federal funding.  That networks and others that have seemed to pull back will likely ramp the messaging back up.  That the ways to keep each other safe messaging is going to be everywhere.  So much so that even those that are loud about the poor messaging of this administration are going to be tired of them.  Such a simple, relatively low cost way to promote good behavior which we knew enough to start but I guess was too shamefully pessimistic to allow to continue.

It's been building for a bit as our reading comprehension and science understanding eroded.   Then on top of that we add in social media and a leader who has eroded trust in news and science in a massive way.  
As our opportunity to gain knowledge increased, so did the potential for misinformation, and boy does it show!

Looking at rt.live VT is a dumpster fire right now.. As are NY, CA, IL, ME, OR.  States that crushed personal liberty in the effort to curb the virus.  My lowly country bumpkin state, AL, has continued to have a transmission record better than those states while largely retaining personal freedoms (though we were very early on the mask mandate).  I'm confused on the love for VT here.
Enjoy your new senator.

https://twitter.com/IanSams/status/1327094699094577153

Still don't believe we are at this point were people are still stating this stuff.  

Interesting question is if this hadn’t happened in an election year, would the federal government response under Trump have been different?

Haven't been to rt.live in a month or two as it's rather obvious how infectious we are (which is about all that site tells us).  I doubt there's a single state not in "dumpster fire" mode on that site right now, because, well, the country is a dumpster fire.  

Interesting question is if this hadn’t happened in an election year, would the federal government response under Trump have been different?
no...his responses are a direct result of what he believes is best for him and what he thinks is best for him is to fire up his base.  It's pretty clear the hardcore supporters were having none of the mask talk, so that likely wouldn't have changed.  Politicization of masks and this false argument of "taking away rights/liberty" etc by making people wear masks will go down as one of the dumbest, most childish moves in our country's political history and that's saying something.  

Haven't been to rt.live in a month or two as it's rather obvious how infectious we are (which is about all that site tells us).  I doubt there's a single state not in "dumpster fire" mode on that site right now, because, well, the country is a dumpster fire.  
For sure.  I was just poking around on THIS interactive map, and it's not like any state is kicking the viruses ### or anything.  Even the touted Ala looks like it climbing back up to their July 15th peak right now.  

I guess I can't educatedly speak as to why each state has the exact numbers they have.   Travel destinations?  Different mask and customer limits in stores mandates?  % of schools and colleges trying in person classes?  On and on.  It's all part of the puzzle, but we can't pretend that there is a state that is not trending up within the last 2 weeks.  

The Commish said:
no...his responses are a direct result of what he believes is best for him and what he thinks is best for him is to fire up his base.  It's pretty clear the hardcore supporters were having none of the mask talk, so that likely wouldn't have changed.  Politicization of masks and this false argument of "taking away rights/liberty" etc by making people wear masks will go down as one of the dumbest, most childish moves in our country's political history and that's saying something.  
I really hope so.  More importantly, I really really really hope we can learn something from this in the next few years.    This feels a little bit like Mother Nature giving us a warm up - what happens when don't learn from this, and the next thing that comes our way is as contagious but even deadlier?  

gianmarco said:
You don't get published in a peer reviewed journal without substance. You don't get published for "scare tactics".  You really think you have enough knowledge and experience to discredit all of the scientists/physicians that gathered the data for that and put it together? 
I have an opinion so yeah, I can express that.   You don't agree that's fine.  But it's a dumb report

IN MY OPINION

I really hope so.  More importantly, I really really really hope we can learn something from this in the next few years.    This feels a little bit like Mother Nature giving us a warm up - what happens when don't learn from this, and the next thing that comes our way is as contagious but even deadlier?  
Survival of the fittest takes over.  Many of us have learned how to deal with this sort of thing.  If people continue to ignore the science and ignore the simple things they can do to help themselves and each other, they aren't going to be around for very long.  I mean this thread SHOWS how lacking some are in this case.  Posts on the last few pages even illustrate it.  Some can't see the forest for the trees.  They will be those that struggle the most as they aren't capable (or unwilling to) of adapting.

KarmaPolice said:
In what way?  

Enforcability?  Effectiveness?  Legally?  
All of it. It won't do anything. Unenforceable on pretty much every level. Probably not legal except in narrow application. 

As we have seen everywhere else with mask mandates, it doesnt solve the issue. Not even close. 

All of it. It won't do anything. Unenforceable on pretty much every level. Probably not legal except in narrow application. 

As we have seen everywhere else with mask mandates, it doesnt solve the issue. Not even close. 
If followed and taken seriously, we have seen it help a lot in slow it down.  IMO you are dipping into SC territory here with words like "solve", like he uses "stop". 

Problem is we don't have a universal message about doing these things.  

So we should get rid of pretty much every law? For example you can use the statements above to describe shoplifting, drinking and driving, even murder.  Of course why we won't is because the vast majority of people are law abiding. It will only take a few examples of people that get arrested for not wearing a mask, if there is a mandate, to get the rest of the non-mask wearing population to fall in line and respect the law like they do every other law. 

I was going to post it in the other thread, but it's more political, so I will put it here.  What I am gathering from going back and forth with these threads and why people are against "lockdowns" and mask mandates, are:

1.  we don't have very good focus on mental health care - access to it and people's ability to deal with situations like this.   I see this a bit that people are now talking about this issue as an unintended consequence of people being at home and without jobs.  

2.  we don't have enough safety nets for people financially.   People can't go without a couple weeks of work, and without a plan for this, people will be hurting.  

Now, we seem to have a political party that seems to focus more on these ideas more than the other historically.  I just find it interesting that the people who seem to be citing these issues as reasons not try stricter policies with masks and limiting the types of businesses being open also seem to be the ones that are on the opposite side of the political spectrum.  These are things that I am also hoping we can step back from and learn from in the upcoming years.  

Kao-Lin said:
Vermont looks like a dumpster fire based on rt.live because the rate of transmission was so low to begin with. New cases per day/population, Vermont is still 1/3 of your lowly country bumpkin state. 

Vermont looks like a dumpster fire based on rt.live because the rate of transmission was so low to begin with. New cases per day/population, Vermont is still 1/3 of your lowly country bumpkin state. 
Well, yeah, if you want to use math. But math is part of science. You can't believe in that.

Vermont really is crushing it overall, very impressive.

Alabama has one of the highest case counts per million though so lol at them being referenced for a model we should follow. Looking at cases and deaths per day they've just been consistently ####ty, congrats?

By the way....this "national mandate" stuff should be rather obvious to fix.

1.  Gather all the state Governors together.
2.  Come up with a set of goals that all states should work towards to get this thing under control.
3.  Let the states go back and figure out how they want to accomplish items that come from #2.
4.  Provide a weekly update to the nation how the states are progressing on the items in #2.
5.  Let the citizens be the judge of how their politicians are serving them.

I was going to post it in the other thread, but it's more political, so I will put it here.  What I am gathering from going back and forth with these threads and why people are against "lockdowns" and mask mandates, are:

1.  we don't have very good focus on mental health care - access to it and people's ability to deal with situations like this.   I see this a bit that people are now talking about this issue as an unintended consequence of people being at home and without jobs.  

2.  we don't have enough safety nets for people financially.   People can't go without a couple weeks of work, and without a plan for this, people will be hurting.  

Now, we seem to have a political party that seems to focus more on these ideas more than the other historically.  I just find it interesting that the people who seem to be citing these issues as reasons not try stricter policies with masks and limiting the types of businesses being open also seem to be the ones that are on the opposite side of the political spectrum.  These are things that I am also hoping we can step back from and learn from in the upcoming years.  
This is part of a pattern if you haven't noticed before.  

Vermont has a significantly lower low income/PoC population, not to mention lack of significant urban areas.  It started at a huge wealth inequality advantage in this area.  

So Trump is supposed to speak on the pandemic at 4 Eastern today. My money is on that he says they're doing a fantastic job, then less than 10 seconds in he starts spouting off about how the election is rigged. It's not even worth hearing what he has to say, he's got 68 days left in office.

So Trump is supposed to speak on the pandemic at 4 Eastern today. My money is on that he says they're doing a fantastic job, then less than 10 seconds in he starts spouting off about how the election is rigged. It's not even worth hearing what he has to say, he's got 68 days left in office.
He's a lot of things and "predictable" is certainly one of them.  10 seconds?  I'll take the under.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread