What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But its not just about November...the more the public turns on him to some extent now...the quicker he may try to do things.  Look how his own attitude shifted the last several days.  Sure...the tweeting still sucks...but the rest has been at least an improvement (still with some bragging about how great he is doing and how he knew it was bad all along).

But the more it looks like this will hurt him then...IMO...the better he will act now.  
Exactly! Now that he’s not trying to save the economy by downplaying everything he’s doing a much better job. 

Agreed, this is different. He has said and done many horrible things that will be forgotten. They shouldn’t but they will. This hits way too close to home because it disrupted everyone’s lives.

Reminding everyone that he downplayed it early and was contradicted by the experts will be extremely effective. He might be able to save face if he admits his mistakes but that will never happen. A lot of things came together for Trump to win in 2016 and those stars need to line up again for a repeat.
Yeah...already today claiming he always took it seriously...out there talking about the only thing he did right which was shutting down travel to China (though, omitting that he let US Citizens still travel there and back with no real screening process when returning).

And some will still buy it.

I believe that this was addressed in the press conference this morning - the test apparently didn’t meet the accuracy requirements and they believed it would produce false positives.
This might have been the case.  The only source saying this is the administration so remember where it's coming from.  Of course, they also rejected tests from WHO...the tests the rest of the world has been using.  Wife is a heart scientist and it's been interesting to watch her communicate with her researcher friends in all the various social media platforms.  They are completely baffled as to why this administration rejected the perceived defective tests for NO testing at all.  At minimum, they'd have worked with what they were provided and make it better rather than reinventing the wheel and cause a delay in proactive testing for nearly 2.5 months.  Since time is/was of the essence it is completely unacceptable in their view.
In reading a bit on this, I am having a hard time believing that "we were concerned the tests would give a false positive and don't trust them" angle.  By all accounts, these are simple qPCR tests.  Meaning, you get the primer and administer it to the sample.  The kits are Qiagen RNA isolation kits.  You purify the sample, extract and test.  That's it.  These are things any of us did in our Biology 101 labs in college.  Any biology lab on any campus in the country has the ability to do this.  Privacy is probably the biggest legit roadblock of the whole thing, which seems pretty silly given what's happening.

What he's been taking it seriously the whole time. It's the fake media who just made it appear otherwise.

Donald J. Trump✔@realDonaldTrump

I always treated the Chinese Virus very seriously, and have done a very good job from the beginning, including my very early decision to close the “borders” from China - against the wishes of almost all. Many lives were saved. The Fake News new narrative is disgraceful & false!
Lies and xenophobia in one tweet.  Quite the combination when he should be focusing on the disaster of a response from the federal gov't

While I am avoiding the CTA myself many health workers in the city use it to get to work, so it's not great but stopping service also creates problems.
It IS an issue and perhaps we could come up with some creative solutions. Maybe double the busses, even if that causes delays, and leave half the seats empty? 

tonydead said:
Eating isn’t a necessity?  How it working in SF?  You wanna stop this or not?  Either do it or not, don’t pick and choose. 
Yes we should stop people that don' t have transportation from getting supplies...

Bucsfan5493 said:
Not sure about that. The Democrats would be foolish not to use Trump's lies and downplaying remarks regarding the coronavirus in their ads leading up to November. Trump has given them plenty of ammo for them to choose from and this is an issue that is effecting the entire country. With all the people that will be directly impacted by this whether it's themselves or a family member, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see some more people get out and vote against Trump.
I also don’t care about the presidential election at this time.  What I do care about is getting this crisis taken care of.  I think we should hold all of our elected officials accountable,  I think both the democratics and Republicans are equally responsible for responding to the virus.  If the don’t respond in a timely manner, vote them all out.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
tonydead said:
Eating isn’t a necessity?  How it working in SF?  You wanna stop this or not?  Either do it or not, don’t pick and choose. 
It’s kind of his job to pick and choose. Just like it’s the job of treating physicians in Italy to pick and choose who lives and who dies. 

I missed earlier that Trump announced that Housing and Urban Development is suspending foreclosures and evictions until the end of April.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1240312224796889088

Dr. Birx reports that there are "concerning reports" out of France and Italy about young people getting very seriously ill.

Birx says of millennials that there may be a "disproportional number of infections among that group, and so even if it's a rare occurrence, it may be seen more frequently in that group, and be evident now." 

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1240312224796889088

Dr. Birx reports that there are "concerning reports" out of France and Italy about young people getting very seriously ill.

Birx says of millennials that there may be a "disproportional number of infections among that group, and so even if it's a rare occurrence, it may be seen more frequently in that group, and be evident now." 
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1240312395341475840

Birx suggests serious cases with young people may have increased, relatively speaking, because "people heeded the early data coming out of China and coming out of South Korea that the elderly or those with preexisting medical conditions were at particular risk."

Reporter:

"Why do you keep calling this the Chinese Virus?"

Trump:

"Because it comes from China, it is not racist at all...It comes from China."

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I don't really care what he calls the virus. There are more important things to be worried about right now. Trump is doing well, IMO, in the last few days. 

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1240316199348690944

Asked why it took him so long to invoke the Defense Production Act given what hospitals say is a shortage of ventilators, Trump says, "You know, hospitals are supposed to have ventilators too."

Reminded that we knew for weeks that we needed more ventilators, Trump says, "Well, we knew -- it depends. It depends on how it goes. Worst case, absolutely. Best case, not at all."

Pence then says there is "in excess of 10,000" ventilators "in the stockpile."

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I don't really care what he calls the virus. There are more important things to be worried about right now. Trump is doing well, IMO, in the last few days. 
Yeah, but you see....China does.  It's offensive and it's inflammatory.  The last thing - AND I MEAN THE LAST THING - this country needs right now is to be at odds with China.  This is feckless leadership and it serves no benefit, only harm.  He has to stop this.  Now. 

I also don’t care about the presidential election at this time.  What I do care about is getting this crisis taken care of.  I think we should hold all of our elected officials accountable,  I think both the democratics and Republicans are equally responsible for responding to the virus.  If the don’t respond in a timely manner, vote them all out.
But its not equal...unless democrats were out claiming it was being overhyped by media to hurt Trump...or Democrats gutted the pandemic office while Trump was in office.

Or democrats were holding up testing and aid packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread