What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamiche Alcindor @Yamiche

ICYMI: A must read. 

By the end of February, a Berlin start-up had produced 1.4 million tests for coronavirus to ship around the world.  The US said no thanks; we can create our own.

Now, the U.S. now has the lowest rate for testing its citizens. (h/t @CarolLeonnig)
I believe that this was addressed in the press conference this morning - the test apparently didn’t meet the accuracy requirements and they believed it would produce false positives.

I mean the banks I understood, the airlines I understand, auto industry......alright. The cruise lines? Get the f outta here. We bailing out Disney too? 
I wonder if there is a correlation to trump supporters and cruises. I, personally, would never book a cruise. Sounds terrible to me.

Yamiche Alcindor @Yamiche

ICYMI: A must read. 

By the end of February, a Berlin start-up had produced 1.4 million tests for coronavirus to ship around the world.  The US said no thanks; we can create our own.

Now, the U.S. now has the lowest rate for testing its citizens. (h/t @CarolLeonnig)
Shockingly incompetent people display their incompetence when it matters most just as much as when it matters least.

Some North Carolina politics:

Democratic Governor Roy Cooper announced earlier today that all bars and restaurants were to be closed at 5pm today, but can stay open for takeout and delivery. Then a couple hours later, our Republican Lieutenant Governor Dan Forest issued a statement saying that Cooper did not have the right to declare such an Executive Order, based on needing approval from the "Council of State", which are all the elected executive positions in North Carolina (6 Reps and 4 Dems). Also, Dan Forest is running for Governor this year.
Cooper's office slapped him down pretty hard. Forest endangering public health to try and help his campaign is shameful

Don Lemon absolutely dragging Trump with clips of Trump's own words.  And it won't matter.
With Trump supporters? No, of course not. It's important to persistently speak those truths though. Some of us have made other priorities over the last several days and still aren't ready to absorb that information. That truth needs conveyed to those people. 

I believe that this was addressed in the press conference this morning - the test apparently didn’t meet the accuracy requirements and they believed it would produce false positives.
Oh boy. This isn't going to fit the narrative.  We're going to need to bury or ignore this.

HR 269 — Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness and Advancing Innovation Act of 2019 - apparently this was one of the laws House Dems passed this past year but which never was addressed by the Senate.

I am fully convinced that this is most elaborate alias account ever. Congrats to whoever put in all the work over the years. This one is a little over the top and hard to believe.
um .... Bloomberg DID spend that much

he COULD have given American's $1 million each

vs the US Fed Govt borrowing the money from the future generations and paying $1,000 to each American

I was just saying, in comparison ... Bloomberg COULD have 

Bloomberg spent 558 million in 3 months for a 100% known to fail bid for POTUS

he could have given every American $1,000,000

um .... Bloomberg DID spend that much

he COULD have given American's $1 million each

vs the US Fed Govt borrowing the money from the future generations and paying $1,000 to each American

I was just saying, in comparison ... Bloomberg COULD have 
How many people in the US? How much did he spend? 
Math is hard

LOL

Maybe the worst post/typo/math I ever made !! 

Hope it was worth the laughs

I am not concerned with covid-19 and haven't been - for my own health. I don't care if I die. I don't want to transmit it to anyone elderly or immune compromised for sure. I read some stuff on Italy last night that was concerning, and this morning its almost over in China so that's good

This is a great training exercise for the Govt to respond to pandemic's and to also see how far they can stretch the bounds of what they can and cannot do

Has there been any violence anywhere? rioting for food etc?

1. It’s going to go away in April.

2. We’re asking for 2.5 billion, the Democrats want to give us more, I don’t think we’ll need it but I’ll take it.

3. Medical surplus never restocked

4. bill for economic relief stimulus passed house early Saturday still sits in the senate waiting for a vote 

5. Hospitals making makeshift protective gear

6. I’m not responsible

7. I saw this coming before anyone else

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy. This isn't going to fit the narrative.  We're going to need to bury or ignore this.
Wait, what? This totally supports the narrative that the administration was more concerned with the appearance of keeping the numbers low than the actual safety of the American people. If one's primary concern was keeping the population safe and limiting spread of the disease you want a sensitive test, i.e. low number of false negatives; you would be willing to sacrifice some specificity and allow some false positives in order to make that happen. 

Following up on the exchange between Endowed and Z Machine about who made this decision, from a physician's perspective it is clear that this was a political and not a medical decision. No medical professional with a basic understanding of evidence based medicine would reject a sensitive test out of concern for false positives when it is being used this purpose. FYI, the concern right now among those on the front lines is that the current tests (at least some of them - which tests are actually being done is a complete cluster and at our hospitals it sometimes changes by the day) are not sensitive enough and that there are too many false negatives. In other words we may have rejected a test that would have caught the disease (but maybe made the numbers look a high) in exchange for a mishmash of tests that are actually missing a significant amount of cases. 

This might have been the case.  The only source saying this is the administration so remember where it's coming from.  Of course, they also rejected tests from WHO...the tests the rest of the world has been using.  Wife is a heart scientist and it's been interesting to watch her communicate with her researcher friends in all the various social media platforms.  They are completely baffled as to why this administration rejected the perceived defective tests for NO testing at all.  At minimum, they'd have worked with what they were provided and make it better rather than reinventing the wheel and cause a delay in proactive testing for nearly 2.5 months.  Since time is/was of the essence it is completely unacceptable in their view.

The mayor of Seattle wanted “mass tents” from the federal government to rapidly build shelters to house people in quarantine. The state of New York pleaded for help from the Army Corps of Engineers to quickly build hospitals. Oregon’s governor repeatedly pressed the Department of Health and Human Services for hundreds of thousands of respirators, gowns and gloves, face shields or goggles.

After so many pleas, President Trump moved on Tuesday to begin enlisting much of his government in what the White House had called for weeks a “whole of government” approach to the rampaging coronavirus.

“We are starting the process,” Mr. Trump said during a news conference Tuesday afternoon, referring to New York’s request to enlist the Army Corps of Engineers. “The state is working on it very hard themselves, but we’ll probably supplement what they’re doing.”

Even after Mr. Trump committed to supporting the states on Tuesday, the Army Corps of Engineers said it still had not received direction from the administration.

“We need the federal government to play its role,” Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York said Monday. “The federal government has tremendous capacity.”

...A spokeswoman at the Army Corps of Engineers said on Tuesday that the agency — which has had its massive capacity put to use in past disasters like Hurricane Katrina — was still awaiting orders.

But other agencies remain quiet. Veterans groups say the Department of Veterans Affairs has not appeared front and center of any of the emergency response communication efforts.

“The nation has not embraced the scope of the V.A.” said Randy Reese, the executive director of the Washington headquarters of Disabled American Veterans. “They need to send the message that we are prepared and right now we have not seen or heard that and it brings some sense of concern.”

FEMA officials said the Department of Health and Human Services remains in charge of the federal response, and it too is waiting for orders from the agency before it moves to ramp up assistance.

“FEMA will continue supporting all states and territories during this dynamic situation," Lizzie Litzow, a FEMA spokeswoman, said.

Oregon sent a letter to Vice President Mike Pence on March 3 asking for 400,000 N95 masks. For days, it got no response, and only by March 14 received its first shipment, of 36,800 masks. But there was a problem. Most of the equipment they got was well past the expiration date and so “wouldn’t be suitable for surgical settings,” the state said.

New York City also put in a request for more than 2 million masks and only received 76,000; all were expired, said Deanne Criswell, New York City’s emergency management commissioner. The city is also requesting additional beds for intensive care units and medical teams to staff a convention center that may be turned into a temporary medical facility.
NYT

Jesus. So, basically,  while giving lip service to FINALLY responding to the pandemic,  the administration and federal government are still aggressively doing next to nothing? Am I reading something wrong here?

Don Lemon absolutely dragging Trump with clips of Trump's own words.  And it won't matter.
Not sure about that. The Democrats would be foolish not to use Trump's lies and downplaying remarks regarding the coronavirus in their ads leading up to November. Trump has given them plenty of ammo for them to choose from and this is an issue that is effecting the entire country. With all the people that will be directly impacted by this whether it's themselves or a family member, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see some more people get out and vote against Trump.

Not sure about that. The Democrats would be foolish not to use Trump's lies and downplaying remarks regarding the coronavirus in their ads leading up to November. Trump has given them plenty of ammo for them to choose from and this is an issue that is effecting the entire country. With all the people that will be directly impacted by this whether it's themselves or a family member, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see some more people get out and vote against Trump.
Can’t believe I am writing this given that the election has been an obsession of mine since, well, 2016....

but right now I don’t give a crap about November. We need to get on top of this now. President Trump needs to do the right things. Now. If that means he gets re-elected, fine. Let’s find a way through this mess. 

Can’t believe I am writing this given that the election has been an obsession of mine since, well, 2016....

but right now I don’t give a crap about November. We need to get on top of this now. President Trump needs to do the right things. Now. If that means he gets re-elected, fine. Let’s find a way through this mess. 
But its not just about November...the more the public turns on him to some extent now...the quicker he may try to do things.  Look how his own attitude shifted the last several days.  Sure...the tweeting still sucks...but the rest has been at least an improvement (still with some bragging about how great he is doing and how he knew it was bad all along).

But the more it looks like this will hurt him then...IMO...the better he will act now.  

Last edited by a moderator:
But its not just about November...the more the public turns on him to some extent now...the quicker he may try to do things.  Look how his own attitude shifted the last several days.  Sure...the tweeting still sucks...but the rest has been at least an improvement (still with some bragging about how great he is doing and how he knew it was bad all along).

But the more it looks like this will hurt him then...IMO...the better he will act now.  
If you think he is taking it more seriously now, just wait until the polls starting coming out showing his approval ratings dropping. 

Agreed, this is different. He has said and done many horrible things that will be forgotten. They shouldn’t but they will. This hits way too close to home because it disrupted everyone’s lives.

Reminding everyone that he downplayed it early and was contradicted by the experts will be extremely effective. He might be able to save face if he admits his mistakes but that will never happen. A lot of things came together for Trump to win in 2016 and those stars need to line up again for a repeat.

Hey Jay Inslee!  You shut down bars and restaurants, but, I look out my office window and Metro buses are running up and down the street. Pretty sure the seats on a bus are just as close as they are at the ihop. 

If you think he is taking it more seriously now, just wait until the polls starting coming out showing his approval ratings dropping. 
What he's been taking it seriously the whole time. It's the fake media who just made it appear otherwise.

Donald J. Trump✔@realDonaldTrump

I always treated the Chinese Virus very seriously, and have done a very good job from the beginning, including my very early decision to close the “borders” from China - against the wishes of almost all. Many lives were saved. The Fake News new narrative is disgraceful & false!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread