Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
James Daulton

Government Response To The Coronavirus

4 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

And it’s calculated and coordinated probably being pushed and contrived by Stephen Miller.

No doubt.

1 minute ago, General Malaise said:

Is there not ONE grownup in the room who can stop him from doing this?  

I think the ones with spines have all been replaced

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jobber said:

Honestly, I don't really care what he calls the virus. There are more important things to be worried about right now. Trump is doing well, IMO, in the last few days. 

He's doing well if it were February - he's improved but still way behind where he needs to be

18 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Right - this sort of rhetoric from the guy running our country is unsettling and I absolutely worry about backlash because of his rhetoric blaming China for this.  It's completely unnecessary and I'd be terrified as an Asian-American right now.   Jesus, Don.

I wouldn’t say terrified but my wife who is Indonesian is very concerned and feels like people are staring at her because of her ethnicity.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Yeah, he began by saying we are fighting 'an invisible enemy'.....it literally took him all of about 4 minutes to unmask the 'invisible enemy' and lay blame at China.  Is there not ONE grownup in the room who can stop him from doing this?  

They can give him a script but when he senses any criticism he attacks and deflects anything from him. It really is amazing to watch. 

Something I have noticed during these press conferences is that as crazy as I think Pence is it is interesting to me how normal and well he comes across - because he gives us the info he knows and has been briefed on. That's all we need from these guys.

• Like 1

The Big Three automakers — General Motors, Ford, and Fiat Chrysler — plan to close all U.S. auto factories as the coronavirus sweeps across the country, people familiar with their plans told CNBC

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/general-motors-ford-and-fiat-chrysler-to-close-all-us-factories-due-to-the-coronavirus-sources-say.html

51 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Right - this sort of rhetoric from the guy running our country is unsettling and I absolutely worry about backlash because of his rhetoric blaming China for this.  It's completely unnecessary and I'd be terrified as an Asian-American right now.   Jesus, Don.

My wife is certainly terrified by it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

13 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

My wife is certainly terrified by it.

Sorry, man.  That's horrible.  This is dumb, but I've been going to our local Asian-American grocery store the last few days not only because their selection of produce is much better currently, but I just want to show some sort of support.  Fear and anger spreads much faster than any virus and I hate seeing the sort of rhetoric Don is using right now.  I doubt buying my lettuce and chicken from Uwajimaya reverses any of that, but still...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just want to remind people that Tom Cotton is an insane neocon psychopath and Trump needs to ignore everything he ever says 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Funny how things change once your own ineptitude is exposed. 

@realDonaldTrump

China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!

1:18 PM · Jan 24, 2020

Edited by JbizzleMan
  • Like 3

Okay I know people here will think I am crazy but we're having another contractor in our house to measure the kitchen for countertops and backsplash.   We won't shake his hand, will stay 6+ feet away and sanitize everything he touches when he leaves.   He promises to be in-and-out in 15 minutes.

Is this reckless?

“Payment amounts would be fixed and tiered based on income level and family size,” the Treasury department wrote in the proposal. “Treasury is modeling specific options.”

Odds of screwing this up - 99%.

Just now, Godsbrother said:

Okay I know people here will think I am crazy but we're having another contractor in our house to measure the kitchen for countertops and backsplash.   We won't shake his hand, will stay 6+ feet away and sanitize everything he touches when he leaves.   He promises to be in-and-out in 15 minutes.

Is this reckless?

No
But it's been nice knowing you and say hi to your brother
;) 

• Laughing 2

1 minute ago, msommer said:

No
But it's been nice knowing you and say hi to your brother
;) 

:cry:

1 hour ago, The General said:

They can give him a script but when he senses any criticism he attacks and deflects anything from him. It really is amazing to watch. 

Something I have noticed during these press conferences is that as crazy as I think Pence is it is interesting to me how normal and well he comes across - because he gives us the info he knows and has been briefed on. That's all we need from these guys.

He’s doing well, but the stars of these pressers have been Dr Fauci and Dr Birx.

Just realized today the Admiral is SG Jerome Adams...not sure I’ve seen him field a single Q?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tonydead said:

What the holy hell?  How is that whining?  Read to me as if he was being light hearted trying to brighten this place up a bit. Good grief the whole world has lost their gosh darn minds.  

ETA: "gosh darn" :lmao:

Tensions are high man. I get it.  No room for joking around.   

Just from remembering Trump back when he was on the Howard Stern show.....having to actually mingle, associate and be around people right now is probably hell for him.  If he weren't the POTUS....he'd either be in a locked down Trump Tower or on an island somewhere.  So that being said, at least he's showing up.  

3 hours ago, Gopher State said:

I also don’t care about the presidential election at this time.  What I do care about is getting this crisis taken care of.  I think we should hold all of our elected officials accountable,  I think both the democratics and Republicans are equally responsible for responding to the virus.  If the don’t respond in a timely manner, vote them all out.

Which democrats are responsible for firing the pandemic response team and not replacing them.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 2

25 minutes ago, lod001 said:

“Payment amounts would be fixed and tiered based on income level and family size,” the Treasury department wrote in the proposal. “Treasury is modeling specific options.”

Saw something earlier that the checks might go out the end of April.  Pretty sure people who need them need them a lot sooner than that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Saw something earlier that the checks might go out the end of April.  Pretty sure people who need them need them a lot sooner than that 

That's cause the govt can do anything the easy way. Crank up the printing presses, and send me 10 Ben Franklins. Act like it always existed and you are just donating it to me.

38 minutes ago, dozer said:

Which democrats are responsible for firing the pandemic response team and not replacing them.

Good question. And good luck getting an answer.

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lod001 said:

If you make > $10,000,000 you get $100,000 to keep your accustomed lifestyle

If you make > $1,000,000 you get $10,000 to keep your accustomed lifestyle

If you make < $1,000,000 you get nothing, eat cheerios off the floor like a dog you poor

Basing this off historical republican precedent (or should that be President?). 

Edited by huthut
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 4
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

He’s doing well, but the stars of these pressers have been Dr Fauci and Dr Birx.

Just realized today the Admiral is SG Jerome Adams...not sure I’ve seen him field a single Q?

It would be really nice to let Fauci and Birx handle all the questions. 

Since they know what they are doing, and have taken this seriously all along, they have the ability to both properly inform and reassure. Given Trump's behavior over the last 6 weeks, he can't be effective in doing that. 

It's nice that he appears to be taking this seriously, but when the non-chalant, flippant guy starts to look shook, it does nobody any good. And when he's delfecting blame, then assigning blame (the reason for his chosen nomenclature of the virus), and now calling himself a "wartime President" (code for "Wartime Presidents always get re-elected"). He's demonstrating all the behaviors of some just realizing this is going to go very poorly.

That's fine in a vacuum (this is going to go poorly), but given his past, he has little shot of reassuring anyone, which we're about to need. He tried reassuring 6 weeks ago. Now it's clear he was wrong, and is just out of his league. Poking the strengthening bear (China) when we're about to be incredibly weak doesn't help either.

So, I agree, these pressers need to be all Fauci and Birx with a little Pence and the dude in the space-looking suit mixed in.

Edited by pollardsvision

1 hour ago, lod001 said:

Given the tax bill, you can confidently bump this on up to 100% +

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, msommer said:

Will he be giving himself a medal?

I know it's meant to be funny, but I can absolutely see this happening.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, lod001 said:

That's cause the govt can do anything the easy way. Crank up the printing presses, and send me 10 Ben Franklins. Act like it always existed and you are just donating it to me.

That would be nice, make it a gift so we don't get taxed on it...

2 minutes ago, yak651 said:

That would be nice, make it a gift so we don't get taxed on it...

Now that's just being ridiculous. 😁

• Laughing 1

The 8 U.S. senators voting against the coronavirus aid package: 

Blackburn
Inhoffe
Johnson
Langford
Lee
Paul
Sass
Scott of S.C.

6 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Now that's just being ridiculous. 😁

Off topic - The company I work for has an annual appreciation dinner.  They have door prizes, around 10 or so items, value around $150-$400.  Used to be great when you won something, the last 2 years you would get taxed on these prizes if you won like earnings.  People were paying 30% of the value of the "gift" in taxes, might be required but leaves a bad taste in the employees mouths.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Blackburn
Inhoffe
Johnson
Langford
Lee
Paul
Sass
Scott of S.C.

Good ole Ron Johnson from WI, he married a women whos dad owned a company here, he gave a "start up" to Ron that the main company purchased raw materials from so it would be successful.  Another line of grifters that believe they are better than the common folk

• Laughing 1

US and UK going to end up 1-2 in terms of how long it takes until the growth rate starts bending.  You can see Italy's rate of growth start to fall off around the time they shut everything down.  We're where they were at that point and many parts of the country haven't really started to react yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, yak651 said:
10 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Blackburn
Inhoffe
Johnson
Langford
Lee
Paul
Sass
Scott of S.C.

Good ole Ron Johnson from WI, he married a women whos dad owned a company here, he gave a "start up" to Ron that the main company purchased raw materials from so it would be successful.  Another line of grifters that believe they are better than the common folk

How many of the eight on the ballot this year?

8 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Blackburn
Inhoffe
Johnson
Langford
Lee
Paul
Sass
Scott of S.C.

People need to remember these names come reelection time. My Rep Waltz voted against the house bill. I wrote his office let him know that I supported him last election but because he doesn't feel the American people need help in a situation like this. I will vote for whoever is running against him even if it means I have to vote for a Democrat. I haven't recieved a response .

• Like 4

Sen. Ron Johnson:
"Getting coronavirus is not a death sentence except for maybe no more than 3.4 percent of our population...probably far less."
"We don’t shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways"

https://jsonline.com/story/news/politics/analysis/2020/03/18/coronavirus-sen-ron-johnson-says-keep-outbreak-perspective/5074145002/ via @journalsentinel

Setting aside that even by his numbers, 3.4% of the population would be 10+ million deaths, this is going to come up a lot in the next several months...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, rustycolts said:

People need to remember these names come reelection time. My Rep Waltz voted against the house bill. I wrote his office let him know that I supported him last election but because he doesn't feel the American people need help in a situation like this. I will vote for whoever is running against him even if it means I have to vote for a Democrat. I haven't recieved a response .

I think its important for the Representatives and Senators to understand - there are no magic bullets here.  Every solution will have its flaws.  I trust that the Dems, GOP, and White House are all negotiating in good faith on these measures, and congress just needs to get something done now - just to reassure the public that things will get back to normal.

Protest votes here because you did not get everything you wanted are really just childish, imo.

12 minutes ago, msommer said:

How many of the eight on the ballot this year?

Don't know about other states but  believe Johnson is up in 2022, said he wasn't going to run for another term but I believe he said that the first time he won.

20 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Sen. Ron Johnson:
"Getting coronavirus is not a death sentence except for maybe no more than 3.4 percent of our population...probably far less."
"We don’t shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways"

https://jsonline.com/story/news/politics/analysis/2020/03/18/coronavirus-sen-ron-johnson-says-keep-outbreak-perspective/5074145002/ via @journalsentinel

Setting aside that even by his numbers, 3.4% of the population would be 10+ million deaths, this is going to come up a lot in the next several months...

What a terrible message for him to send.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Sen. Ron Johnson:

I'd want to be his opponent just so I could continually quote his ignorance.

Can I forego the 1K and just avoid finishing off my taxes for the year? I likely owe in the 1K range. Just easier for all involved

4 hours ago, Dr Steven Brule said:

Nope, but there are 70,000,000 who can in November.  

There were 67 who could have removed him two months ago. ALL of them knew he was guilty. They refused to listen to evidence. Let me repeat that part again: they knew he was guilty and they refused to listen to evidence. 

If Republican Senators had done their job, we would have President Pence right now and I believe this current crisis would have been handled much better. And now the entire nation is paying the price for this. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:
49 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Sen. Ron Johnson:

If all of sudden, tens of thousdands of people started dying on the highway because their cars developed some weird reactions to gasoline or something - we certainly would do something

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

There were 67 who could have removed him two months ago. ALL of them knew he was guilty. They refused to listen to evidence. Let me repeat that part again: they knew he was guilty and they refused to listen to evidence. 

If Republican Senators had done their job, we would have President Pence right now and I believe this current crisis would have been handled much better. And now the entire nation is paying the price for this. 

Calm down, guys. Stop overreacting.  

18 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

You're taking bits and pieces of what he actually said out of context. Why don't you go find what he actually said in the full context.

You guys are being led around like sheep.  

• Thinking 1

46 minutes ago, yak651 said:

Don't know about other states but  believe Johnson is up in 2022, said he wasn't going to run for another term but I believe he said that the first time he won.

If he runs again he'll win.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, yak651 said:

You sound like you're jealous.  That has zero to do with anything.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Laughing 1

Why don't you reply to every single post? You missed one or two.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 4
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Calm down, guys. Stop overreacting.  

I don’t think I am. I’ve been pretty complimentary of Trump’s actions, (not his statements) but the more info I learn the more I’ve changed my mind. He’s behaved incompetently. And the thing is we all KNEW he was incompetent and corrupt. The Mueller report stated it. The impeachment demonstrated it. None of this should come as a surprise to anyone. And you knew it too. But you liked the judges and you didn’t want liberals to win, so you stuck by him. And now we’re all being punished for it. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1