What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I applaud the Gov. of Michigan, one of the first to shut down schools and restaurants and bars......meanwhile in Florida, people are partying all over the place.....
Beaches in the Tampa area finally closing on Monday. Spring Breakers are partying down here from many northern states.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like they want a more immediate reimbursement. Whats wrong with that? 
McDonald’s is claiming that not providing 2 weeks’ sick leave for its 517k employees is about protecting the financials of their franchisees.  Currently they are only covering “potentially diagnosed employees”- while pushing back against sick leave for the undiagnosed.  Why can’t the corporate office cover the cost? 

The end result will be that afflicted workers are forced to slog through because many of them don’t have the means to get tested, or the financial wherewithal to afford time off, and spread the virus to coworkers/customers.  

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1239950146240221184

Dr. Deborah Birx says they looked for "high quality" solutions and claims that you'll learn over time that other tests used in other countries around the world "were not of the same quality, resulting in false positives and potentially false negatives

:confused:

I don't think that statement is factual.
Nobody has done a better job controlling their coronavirus outbreak than South Korea and they developed their own test in 1 week.

McDonald’s is claiming that not providing 2 weeks’ sick leave for its 517k employees is about protecting the financials of their franchisees.  Currently they are only covering “potentially diagnosed employees”- while pushing back against sick leave for the undiagnosed.  Why can’t the corporate office cover the cost? 

The end result will be that afflicted workers are forced to slog through because many of them don’t have the means to get tested, or the financial wherewithal to afford time off, and spread the virus to coworkers/customers.  
The bill called for reimbursing franchisees with end of year tax credits. Mcdonalds pushed back on that and wanted it to be immediate instead. 

They never lobbied to eliminate the sick pay provision in the bill. 

Why shouldnt they lobby to get a faster reimbursement for their franchisees? That is a pretty silly point of contention and you're creating an imaginary result. 

The negotiations would never go like this...

Congress: we are going to force you to give sick leave and we are going to pay you back at the end of the year. 

Mcdonalds: we cant wait that long. We want to be paid back right away.

Congress: oh yeah? Unacceptable. We just wont require sick leave now!  

Dude. Like nearly everyone here my kids aren’t going to school. My business is shut down. I’ve lost a ton of money.  My entire life is frozen. I have older relatives who may die if they get this virus. And the man in charge, who I depend on to find a way through this, is an incompetent liar. Please don’t tell me I’m blowing things out of proportion. 
I feel for you. I really do. But panic and overreaction are actually the last things we need.
Agree that panic and overreaction aren't a good thing at this point.  But articulating current state of where we're at isn't panic and overreaction.  It's the opposite.

Beaches in the Tampa area finally closing on Monday. Spring Breakers are partying down here from many northern states.
This is the sort of incompetent response I meant. Why are they waiting until this coming Monday? That’s 4 more days of huge crowds at the beach. Why did the governor of Florida leave this up to the locals to decide? And more importantly, why is Trump leaving  this up to the states to decide? 

People are going to die because President Trump is behaving incompetently. This is not an overstatement. It is is not an overreaction. It’s a fact that should be clear to anyone paying attention.  

Congress: we are going to force you to give sick leave and we are going to pay you back at the end of the year. 

Mcdonalds: we cant wait that long. We want to be paid back right away.

Congress: oh yeah? Unacceptable. We just wont require sick leave now!  
The isssue is that of course they can wait that long. The company is worth like 150 billion dollars

This is the sort of incompetent response I meant. Why are they waiting until this coming Monday? That’s 4 more days of huge crowds at the beach. Why did the governor of Florida leave this up to the locals to decide? And more importantly, why is Trump leaving  this up to the states to decide? 

People are going to die because President Trump is behaving incompetently. This is not an overstatement. It is is not an overreaction. It’s a fact that should be clear to anyone paying attention.  
People are going to die because other people are incredibly selfish.

People are going to die because other people are incredibly selfish.
They’re selfish because the authorities are allowing them to be selfish. 

And Trump is responsible. He could have said a week ago, or yesterday, “the beaches are closed. Gatherings of more than a few people are prohibited in the United States.” 

And Trump is responsible. He could have said a week ago, or yesterday, “the beaches are closed. Gatherings of more than a few people are prohibited in the United States.” 
So could the Governor of Florida. Probably wan another weekend's worth of tourist revenue.

No.  They're selfish because they are terrible people.  I don't need the government to tell me to socially distance myself right now I'm smart enough to do that for myself, my family, and others.  It's incredibly stupid and selfish to go on (or send your kids) vacation, spring break, concerts,  amusement parks, or similar for previous several days and upcoming several weeks.  B-b-b-b-but Trump

No.  They're selfish because they are terrible people.  I don't need the government to tell me to socially distance myself right now I'm smart enough to do that for myself, my family, and others.  It's incredibly stupid and selfish to go on (or send your kids) vacation, spring break, concerts,  amusement parks, or similar for previous several days and upcoming several weeks.  B-b-b-b-but Trump
I agree with you.  Not sure why you threw in the Trump part though.  He has his own, separate responsibility in all of this.

This post suggests that you don’t understand the purpose of government in an emergency. You are a responsible citizen; you’re not going to do anything stupid. We need strong government in times like these because not everyone will behave like you. If even a small minority decide to behave badly or stupidly, that threatens you and me and all the rest of us who behave well. It can’t be voluntary. Trump’s refusal to accept this is incompetent. 

This post suggests that you don’t understand the purpose of government in an emergency. You are a responsible citizen; you’re not going to do anything stupid. We need strong government in times like these because not everyone will behave like you. If even a small minority decide to behave badly or stupidly, that threatens you and me and all the rest of us who behave well. It can’t be voluntary. Trump’s refusal to accept this is incompetent. 
He's already said don't have gatherings of more than 10 people.  Should he put those that don't follow in jail?  

the moops said:
The isssue is that of course they can wait that long. The company is worth like 150 billion dollars
You know these are franchisees right? You know this never had a chance to kill the bill right? You know they literally never advocated to kill the bill right? 

You know that worth doesnt equal cash on hand right? You know in a crashing market these things are fluid right? 

Nevermind, you dont care. You have a narrative in mind. Franchisees should just suck it up and corporate mcdonalds should pay everything out instantly even voicing displeasure means they are terrible people. 

timschochet said:

na.....personal responsibility is all but lost in this country and that has NOTHING to do with Trump specifically.  He shouldn't have to even step in.  People should understand what's going on and do the right thing.  This is where my libertarian streak tends to show itself.  It's ultimately up to the individuals when it comes to being selfish (as RW says above).  I said at the very beginning of this whole thing that this country is never going to do, on it's own, what it needs to and with politics involved there was a good chance our politicians wouldn't either.

You don't want to hear the "why" here, but it's simply because those people are making those areas a lot of money.  That's the only reason this is allowed to go on.  That's our society and what drives it.  A harsh reality to realize under the circumstances, but it is what it is.  The mandate has come down to not have large gathering.  It's up to local governments to enforce this.  There's plenty to hang on Trump, this isn't part of it IMO.

Ramblin Wreck said:
He's already said don't have gatherings of more than 10 people.  Should he put those that don't follow in jail?  
Yes. 

The incompetent part is that he is urging this restriction but not imposing it. It needs to be imposed by law. That’s what medical authorities have been calling for for at least 2 weeks now. I think Trump won’t do it because he’s worried about the economic effect and the reaction of his base. That’s malfeasance and it’s why, when more people die, he will be responsible. 

Ramblin Wreck said:
Do planes fly with less?  Why are they still flying people around to vacations?

timschochet said:
Yes. He’s responsible too. His decision to let local authorities decide is itself an abandonment of responsibility, terrible. But it should never have been left up to him. 
For what it's worth, he's done pretty well in closing down bars, clubs and cutting back on restaurant traffic. Beaches are by and large controlled by the city or county they're in, and accessible from private property in a lot of places as well. It's super tough to make sure everybody's off the beach with that being a factor.

na.....personal responsibility is all but lost in this country and that has NOTHING to do with Trump specifically.  He shouldn't have to even step in.  People should understand what's going on and do the right thing.  This is where my libertarian streak tends to show itself.  It's ultimately up to the individuals when it comes to being selfish (as RW says above).  I said at the very beginning of this whole thing that this country is never going to do, on it's own, what it needs to and with politics involved there was a good chance our politicians wouldn't either.

You don't want to hear the "why" here, but it's simply because those people are making those areas a lot of money.  That's the only reason this is allowed to go on.  That's our society and what drives it.  A harsh reality to realize under the circumstances, but it is what it is.
I don’t even understand this post. This has nothing to do with libertarianism. Trump says we’re at war. I agree with him. When you’re at war you have to impose restrictions on civilians for the safety of the public. That’s the whole of it. 

Yes. 

The incompetent part is that he is urging this restriction but not imposing it. It needs to be imposed by law. That’s what medical authorities have been calling for for at least 2 weeks now. I think Trump won’t do it because he’s worried about the economic effect and the reaction of his base. That’s malfeasance and it’s why, when more people die, he will be responsible. 
You certainly changed your tune from a week ago.  Hmmm wonder why?   Anyway I'm out no point arguing with you since you've got it all figured out already.  

You don't want to hear the "why" here, but it's simply because those people are making those areas a lot of money.  That's the only reason this is allowed to go on.  That's our society and what drives it.  A harsh reality to realize under the circumstances, but it is what it is.  The mandate has come down to not have large gathering.  It's up to local governments to enforce this.  There's plenty to hang on Trump, this isn't part of it IMO.
Shouldn't have to...doesn't mean he shouldn’t step in...actually starts at the mayor level, then governor and then up to Trump.

Because at this point it isn't about personal responsibilities...because its not just their own lives at risk but everyone they come in contact with and where they will take it back to...

Ramblin Wreck said:
The day he decided to not dock the cruise ship with sick people onboard should have been the day he said no new sailings from American ports would be allowed.  Yet it took a full week of more ships launching before it was halted.  But .. money..

For what it's worth, he's done pretty well in closing down bars, clubs and cutting back on restaurant traffic. Beaches are by and large controlled by the city or county they're in, and accessible from private property in a lot of places as well. It's super tough to make sure everybody's off the beach with that being a factor.
It’s not tough at all. If the governor goes on the air right now and says, “I’m closing the beaches. Immediately. Anyone who is found on a beach, public or private, is subject to imprisonment.” That will take all of 3 seconds. 

Shouldn't have to...doesn't mean he shouldn’t step in...actually starts at the mayor level, then governor and then up to Trump.

Because at this point it isn't about personal responsibilities...because its not just their own lives at risk but everyone they come in contact with and where they will take it back to...
Are you saying the government should have stepped in and prevented you from putting your child on an airplane to go to an amusement park?  You were railing Jon for his opinions on this and seem to be blaming the government here but your own choices are opposite of what you claim you want.   

You know these are franchisees right? You know this never had a chance to kill the bill right? You know they literally never advocated to kill the bill right? 

You know that worth doesnt equal cash on hand right? You know in a crashing market these things are fluid right? 

Nevermind, you dont care. You have a narrative in mind. Franchisees should just suck it up and corporate mcdonalds should pay everything out instantly even voicing displeasure means they are terrible people. 
:shrug:

We have small buisness owners in this very thread talking about how they are continuing to pay employees at their own expense. Forgive me if I feel no sympathy for corporate McDonalds. And I call complete :bs:  on McDonald's supporting this paid sick leave bill. If they could have killed this bill, they woudl have

You certainly changed your tune from a week ago.  Hmmm wonder why?   Anyway I'm out no point arguing with you since you've got it all figured out already.  
I don’t have it figured out. I wish I did. I changed my tune because I was wrong. As I’ve learned more, I’ve realized how wrong I was. 

If you think I’m wrong now, explain to me why. If I find your argument compelling I will change my mind again. But you haven’t made a convincing argument so far IMO. 

timschochet said:

Does he have the power to do this? I think there would be a Constitutional freedom of association issue. 

My uncle was complaining that the governor of PA isn't going to have police enforce his order that all nonessential businesses close down.  He said it puts his wife in a difficult position since her salon's employees are going to suggest that they don't HAVE to close.  I thought this was a very odd complaint coming from a Trump supporter who's supposedly for less government and personal responsibility. 
no one wants to be the necessary bad guy in this.  What they are missing is "bad guy" is a perception not a reality.

:shrug:

We have small buisness owners in this very thread talking about how they are continuing to pay employees at their own expense. Forgive me if I feel no sympathy for corporate McDonalds. And I call complete :bs:  on McDonald's supporting this paid sick leave bill. If they could have killed this bill, they woudl have
It doesnt matter if they supported it in your opinion. You just have to acknowledge that they couldnt have killed it. 

It is a stupid stance to take to be angry with mcdonalds. The net effect of a franchisee having to foot the bill for a year rather than the federal government? 

Seriously. Thats what you are tilting at????

Does he have the power to do this? I think there would be a Constitutional freedom of association issue. 
My understanding is that if the CDC recommends it the President has overriding authority. In any case that’s what’s been reported. 

If memory serves, this issue was adjudicated during the Civil War, when Lincoln shut down large gatherings in Maryland. 

Ramblin Wreck said:
His leadership sucks right now, rudderless ship and the governors have to take over, and I'm thankful in Michigan, ours did

Are you saying the government should have stepped in and prevented you from putting your child on an airplane to go to an amusement park?  You were railing Jon for his opinions on this and seem to be blaming the government here but your own choices are opposite of what you claim you want.   
Your personal snipes at sho nuff and myself don’t add to your argument in any way. 

It’s not tough at all. If the governor goes on the air right now and says, “I’m closing the beaches. Immediately. Anyone who is found on a beach, public or private, is subject to imprisonment.” That will take all of 3 seconds. 
True, but that's so much more for law enforcement to patrol now. It's not a good reason, but it's all I have right now.

I don't disagree with this at all actually.  There are many more people to focus on in this before we even mention Trump as you point out.  I believe our declaration of national emergency allows our state government to officially shut down the beaches (if they couldn't do that already....a little hazy on that at the moment...conflicting sources and all that).  That should be done and those breaking the law should be put in jail.  That's all local...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread