What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jalen Hurts, PHI (2 Viewers)

Bigboy10182000 said:
Remember when Lloyd Christmas told Mary Swanson “So you’re telling me there’s a chance?!”?

Well the chance of him starting as early as next year is lower than that. That deal Wentz signed has him locked in as a starter here until at the very earliest 2022
The league is changing. Teams took notice of what Baltimore did with Lamar. It's a copycat league.. It'll take a Wentz injury to get on the field for sure but if he does and their offense is better.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Remember when Lloyd Christmas told Mary Swanson “So you’re telling me there’s a chance?!”?

Well the chance of him starting as early as next year is lower than that. That deal Wentz signed has him locked in as a starter here until at the very earliest 2022
A lot of teams find themselves eating a contract to just move on

I'm not going to say it's likely but the Eagles spent a high draft pick on Hurts and I've never been overly impressed with Wentz. I thought he was getting lucking for a while. I've since backed off of that a little. He is Houdini at times but I can't quite shake the feeling he's overrated and I'm starting to think Hurts is underrated. 

I guess that's why I'm warming up to Hurts being the starter faster than most of us think. 

The league is changing. Teams took notice of what Baltimore did with Lamar. It's a copycat league.. It'll take a Wentz injury to get on the field for sure but if he does and their offense is better.........
Agree, but Wentz does have a history of being injury-prone (probably why the Eagles spent that type of draft capital).  I'm with you... I think there is just something there with Hurts.  Not really a knock on Wentz--I think if he stays healthy, Hurts rides the pine.  But I believe there will be an opening in the next year or two.  I am warming to Hurts in dynasty.  Call it the hunchiest of hunches, nothing more.

Sure, but if you’re talking a running QB as a component to an offense it’s something like:

Lamar

Hurts

Wentz
Sure - but I don’t think the league will quite make the pivot to what Baltimore is doing. That does not seem sustainable over time. Jackson is also unique. Hurts seems like one of those great college players that aren’t NFL QBs. He did look better at Oklahoma throwing the ball but that was a system that produced back to back Heisman winners before him. He looked really bad throwing the ball at Alabama.

Sure - but I don’t think the league will quite make the pivot to what Baltimore is doing. That does not seem sustainable over time. Jackson is also unique. Hurts seems like one of those great college players that aren’t NFL QBs. He did look better at Oklahoma throwing the ball but that was a system that produced back to back Heisman winners before him. He looked really bad throwing the ball at Alabama.
Agreed he's not great at throwing the ball. Either is the reigning MVP.

Also I see the league slowly moving to running QB. Surprisingly enough the NFL tends to follow the college game. Not sure if it's because that's the type of prospects they get or what. Maybe the NFL isn't as innovative because NFL coaches have shorter leashes so they tend to play it safer. 

Agreed he's not great at throwing the ball. Either is the reigning MVP.
I think Lamar is a better passer than Hurts - but Hurts did show some improvement last season. I do think we will see more mobile QBs, but I'm not sure the full blown Baltimore model is sustainable for a number of reasons.

I think Lamar is a better passer than Hurts - but Hurts did show some improvement last season. I do think we will see more mobile QBs, but I'm not sure the full blown Baltimore model is sustainable for a number of reasons.
Cool. I can respect that.

Really like the kid and love his story maybe that's why I'm thinking he'll start for Philly sooner rather than later. They spent a lot of draft capital on him though. Time will tell. 

Agreed.  36 TD passes is godawful in today's NFL
Lol bulk stats can be misleading. I can't think of one running QB that was a mediocre passer at first who successfully transitioned into a pocket passer. Once they stop running and the passing windows get smaller they fail.  If you think Lamar Jackson is gifted at throwing the football I don't know what to tell you. Enjoy that kool-aid I guess?

Question.

Are any of you non wentz owning dynasty players targeting hurts in your drafts. And if so where?

1qb leagues.
I targeted him in all of mine and ended up with him in 3 of 4 leagues, all of which are IDP so factor that into the overall draft spot. 

3.09 (34) in a 1qb league where I have Mahomes/Darnold but a 3 QB roster minimum (12 team 55 man roster) - no Wentz. (Aug 2 draft)

3.10 (34) in a superflex, also 12 team 50 man rosters - no Wentz (May 18 draft)

2.24 (53) in a contract league where I do own Wentz and am happy to have the insurance policy. (May 12 draft)

I have this guy as my #2 rookie QB behind Burrow.  That's mostly based on injury-proneness (Tua and Wentz) along with some decent legs.  Grabbing him everywhere I can in dyno.

Yeah im not sure it's a good thing for the receiving weapons but Wentz has to be close to getting benched.
It's truly amazing watching his regression. I was a doubter when he came out of college. Then he made me a believer. Now he looks like a complete disaster. Wentz looked more like a rookie in that last game than Burrow imo. People acted like Goff was a disaster last season but he never looked as bad as Wentz does right now. Yeah, SOME of it is his WR's..... but he still has the best TE duo in the NFL. Sanders/Scott are pretty good receivers out of the backfield. Wentz doesn't even look like the same guy throwing the ball. 

I wonder if they took note of what happened last night.
Hurts is a better passer than Lamar but Lamar is the better runner. How that translates to Philly's offense is tough to predict because we don't know if Philly would trt to fit Hurts into a box or embrace his strengths. 

Milkman said:
Hurts is a better passer than Lamar but Lamar is the better runner. How that translates to Philly's offense is tough to predict because we don't know if Philly would trt to fit Hurts into a box or embrace his strengths. 
Who’s he going to throw to?

Eagles head coach Doug Pederson said he "could see things continuing" with increasing QB Jalen Hurts' role in the offense. 

Pederson hinted at a larger package for Hurts during a Monday press conference. Through six weeks, Hurts has seven rushes for 49 yards and one catch for three yards. He took two snaps at quarterback Sunday against the Ravens, picking up 23 yards on two runs. The Eagles losing so many offensive weapons could force Pederson to work Hurts into the lineup more often until the team's playmakers get healthy. Bolstering Hurts' package -- especially in the red zone -- would come at the cost of whatever remains of Carson Wentz's fantasy appeal. 

RELATED: 

Carson Wentz

SOURCE: Bo Wulf on Twitter 

Oct 19, 2020, 12:08 PM ET

Jalen Hurts played two snaps in Week 13 against the Seahawks, completing his only pass attempt for six yards. 

So much for that. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Hurts was practicing as the team's QB without Carson Wentz on the field in preparation for Week 13 -- a change from how Hurts has been utilized this season. Wentz was on the field for one of Hurts' two snaps. Eagles head coach Doug Peterson pretends to be confused by questions about benching Wentz for Hurts -- he's either in denial about Wentz's regression or he's confident Hurts would be far worse as the team's quarterback.

- Rotoworld

Rotoworld:

Jalen Hurts has been named the Eagles' starting quarterback for Week 14 against the Saints. 

This was inevitable after Hurts restored a pulse to the Eagles' offense in 22 minutes of play against the Packers. Hurts is a 1-2 read quarterback right now, but he will process them much faster than Carson Wentz, who looks like he has been playing in quicksand. Hurts also led the NCAA in YPA (11.5) on non-play action passes at Oklahoma last season. He can throw the ball. Most importantly for fantasy, however, is that he is a real deal dual-threat, one who will be an immediate consideration near the goal line. Despite a tough matchup in a resurgent Saints defense, Hurts offers immediate QB2 appeal with QB1 upside. 

Dec 8, 2020, 1:52 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread