What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democrats block Senate CV Stimulus Package (1 Viewer)

This is simple:  cut a check to every American.  The longer you wait, the bigger it will be.  Quit trying to give Trump a $500B check to dole out without any oversight.
Could they split the bill into 2 parts?  One for checks to the people and one for money to corporations?  I understand that in the long run it probably will make sense to get money to the corporations, but why not just deal with one thing at a time?

Sorry GB....the word "good" here is doing a lot of heavy lifting.  I had thought about this initially and had wondered if this was shades of TARP.  Then I came to the conclusion that anyone who is dumping on companies who need the aid in a time where they did nothing to bring this on is a tool of epic proportion and their opinion is of no consequence to me.  This is very different from the situation where the groups being bailed out are the ones that caused the problems.  My :2cents:  

Completely agree with your last statement.
Probably more: logical than good.  

It's about how the market responds.  Say you have 4 firms hit by the same external shock, but only 2 request bailout funds.  You would naturally value the 2 that didn't request those funds higher.

Could they split the bill into 2 parts?  One for checks to the people and one for money to corporations?  I understand that in the long run it probably will make sense to get money to the corporations, but why not just deal with one thing at a time?
Because support for one is a lot higher than the other.  

Probably more: logical than good.  

It's about how the market responds.  Say you have 4 firms hit by the same external shock, but only 2 request bailout funds.  You would naturally value the 2 that didn't request those funds higher.
Is that good or bad?

It seems kind of neutral in the long-run.  And, I would think markets should value transparency.  But, ultimately, what will matter to investors is how the company performs - not necessarily where it get the funding (acknowledging that needing a bailout, when competitors do not, may signal some internal problems with the business).

Because once the money goes out to the people, those who want big bucks to go to corporations lose their leverage.

Is that good or bad?

It seems kind of neutral in the long-run.  And, I would think markets should value transparency.  But, ultimately, what will matter to investors is how the company performs - not necessarily where it get the funding (acknowledging that needing a bailout, when competitors do not, may signal some internal problems with the business).
I think businesses assume that what you describe in the parenthesis would happen.  You have seen the same stigma develop with the Fed Discount window.  I guess the bad of this would be you loan money to a company that just continues to fail.  So much moral hazard with these bailouts.

How are these items related to the pandemic?

1) Unprecedented collective bargaining powers for unions

2) Increased fuel emissions standards for airlines

3) Expansion of wind and solar tax credits

JohnnyU said:
Well, isn't that just peachy.  Why are they playing these games at a time like this?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/collins-blasts-democrats-for-blocking-coronavirus-stimulus-plan-says-theyre-playing-with-fire

I thought they were bipartisan until Nancy and Chucky enter the picture.

I suppose the DOW will take another dive today over this news.
McConnell didn't have the votes from the GOP yesterday. Only 47 were willing to back his plan yesterday. Don't lay this squarely at the feet of Dems. 

Direct Lending Limitations: executive total compensation may not exceed $425,000; prohibition of stock buybacks during the duration of the loan; borrowers must maintain existing payroll as of March 13.
Sounds reasonable

Well, what if they want to send money somewhere and they don’t want you to know about it? Seems perfectly justifiable to me...
I can see certain times this could be true, but the amount of harm that is could cause far out weighs the limited amount of good. 

I am sure they can find another way to get out some secret money. It never stopped them in the past. 

Washington, D.C. – Speaker Nancy Pelosi released this statement ahead of the unveiling of House Democrats’ third coronavirus response bill, the Take Responsibility for Workers and Families Act: 

“The Senate Republicans’ bill, as presented, put corporations first, not workers and families.  Today, House Democrats will unveil a bill that takes responsibility for the health, wages and well-being of America’s workers: the Take Responsibility for Workers and Families Act. 

“Democrats Take Responsibility:

For our workers and small businesses: our bill requires that any corporation that takes taxpayer dollars must protect their workers’ wages and benefits – not CEO pay, stock buybacks or layoffs.  It gives our small businesses fast relief with grants and loans to tide them through this crisis.  And it strengthens Unemployment Insurance so that it can replace the average wages of our workers who are losing their jobs and hours. 

For our doctors, nurses, health care workers and first responders: It gives hospitals and other health institutions the desperately needed funds to provide treatment and care to all those who are sick and to ensure they have the Personal Protective Equipment to protect health care workers and first responders.  It protects our health care workers by requiring the Administration to enforce our stronger Occupational Safety and Health Administration protections.  At the same time, it calls for the president to invoke the Defense Production Act immediately.

For our families: It gives direct payments to America’s families in a robust way and strengthens Child Tax Credits and the Earned Income Tax Credit.  It gives more workers the security of guaranteed paid family and medical leave, including those caring for our seniors.  And it makes coronavirus treatment free for the patient.

For our students: Pumps nearly $40 billion into schools and universities, with $30 billion directly provided to states to help them stabilize their funding for schools and nearly $10 billion to help alleviate the harm caused by coronavirus on higher education institutions, while providing them with added flexibility to continue operating during the crisis.  The legislation also helps current borrowers with their student debt burden and GI bill benefits.  We also bolster SNAP and other initiatives to address food insecurity.

For our Democracy: Ensures that states can carry out this year’s election with billions in grant funding for states through the Election Assistance Commission and a national requirement for both 15 days of early voting and no-excuse absentee vote-by-mail, including mailing a ballot to all registered voters in an emergency.

“I am grateful to our Committee Chairs and members for their extraordinary work for America’s workers and families.  Because of the Senate Democrats,  progress has been made.  We urge the Senate to move closer to the values in the Take Responsibility for Workers and Families Act.”

Republicans still playing politics.  Put in stuff they know is unreasonable and democrats won't support so they can say democrats just don't want to help. This from the party telling everyone this was a hoax three weeks ago. Disgusting.
Both sides always do this kind of crap.   Normally they bicker back and forth  for months if not years.  It is really disappointing they couldn't set it aside in this case

That's wrong. Democrats claiming the high road need to check themselves. And I'm probably just about as liberal as they come. Newsflash, not everyone has student loans, and now isn't the time nor place for this.

This malfeasance needs to stop. Small businesses and individuals are getting crushed, as are large companies BTW, and they're playing politics.

That's wrong. Democrats claiming the high road need to check themselves. And I'm probably just about as liberal as they come. Newsflash, not everyone has student loans, and now isn't the time nor place for this.

This malfeasance needs to stop. Small businesses and individuals are getting crushed, as are large companies BTW, and they're playing politics.
Both sides are. My guess, the Dems put this in as a bargaining point to get rid of. 

I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I just don’t get why with this particular crisis and bill, why they just don’t allow this crap on either side. Draw up a bill just for the people who need help now, especially the small businesses and those who are or are about to be unemployed.  No big corporate bailout/ slush, no new green deal crap, no college tuition relief garbage. Put that crap aside for one day and get this done. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I just don’t get why with this particular crisis and bill, why they just don’t allow this crap on either side. Draw up a bill just for the people who need help now, specially the small businesses and those who are or are about to be unemployed.  No big corporate bailout, no new green deal crap, no college tuition relief garbage. Put that crap aside for one day and get this done. 
I like the way you think but you know that's not how it works with our so called public servants.

It is just dumb. 30k???? I hate every democrat that is in favor of this. There is zero justification. Want to extend the payment grace period? Fine. Extend the 0% interest time frame? Fine. Give them a free 30k reduction TAX FREE? That is a slap in the face to everybody. 

Such an embarrassment for the Dems and it virtually guarantees the Republicans gain seats in November 
Your stance is a big part of the problem here. One side shouldn’t have to bend over just because the clock is ticking. We need to stop with the finger pointing. Both sides should be frustrated and embarrassed today. 

Such an embarrassment for the Dems and it virtually guarantees the Republicans gain seats in November 
It is the job of both parties to come up with a bill that will help the American people and that takes compromise and sacrifice.   It is a shame that they can't do that during a crisis and it blows my mind that some people continue to cheer for one party when they are both absolute failures.    

It is the job of both parties to come up with bill that will help the American people and that takes compromise and sacrifice.   It is a shame that they can't do that during a crisis and a blows my mind that some people continue to cheer for one party when they are both absolute failures.    
I have a memory like an elephant and I can hold a grudge with the best of them. I am going to remember this as I'm sure most will. I absolutely will not be voting for any incumbent that is in Congress now. Hopefully most Americans will remember this sorry display by both sides. So no vote for Scott, Rubio, and especially Waltz for me.

Users who are viewing this thread