What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it too late to get Cuomo on the ballot? (1 Viewer)

A lot of living in the moment right now.   Cuomo does look really good during this crisis, but that doesn't make him a good presidential candidate.  Christ, Giuliani was a rock star during 9/11 and look at the lunatic he turned out to be.
Yup.

Cuomo is illustrating if you are competent, have know how and trust government that you will come out ahead (just speaking politically). People are looking for leadership. 

Yup.

Cuomo is illustrating if you are competent, have know how and trust government that you will come out ahead (just speaking politically). People are looking for leadership. 
And also helps a lot that the person a lot of people are comparing him to (Trump) is incompetent, dishonest and indecisive.  

As a NYer who has been watching this daily, this is incredibly wrong.  Cuomo has been trying to act; DeBlasio has been a disaster.
Cuomo made the call to keep schools and mass transit open on March 12th.  He finally closed schools on the 15th, but the subways were still completely open.  He only recently finally started cutting back subway service.  That was waaaaaay too late.

By the way, I love the way Cuomo slapped down Trump yesterday over the whole NY quarantine business.  And it's the first time that I think I can recall Trump getting slapped down and getting in line, retracting his position, and conceding the point.  Cuomo would really browbeat Trump through debates and this election cycle.

But I assume it's too late?
Way too late. I agree that Cuomo has been excellent and DeBlaiso should step down.  But Cuomo hasn’t been vetted, and who knows what skeletons are in his closet.  As we should have learned from Rudy Giuliani, have a good couple of weeks during a crisis doesn’t mean someone is equipped to lead the country.  

Gov. Cuomo: "Forget the politics. We have a national crisis. We are at war. There is no politics. There is no red and blue. It's red, white and blue."

Gov. Cuomo: "Forget the politics. We have a national crisis. We are at war. There is no politics. There is no red and blue. It's red, white and blue."
There are so few politicians these days that have the ability to drop the partisan non-sense.   

I actually enjoy his daily press conferences.  Not sure how he'd do as a Presidential candidate though, I don't know enough about his policies.

I actually enjoy his daily press conferences.  Not sure how he'd do as a Presidential candidate though, I don't know enough about his policies.
His policies are a mix... typical neoliberal for the most part economically... refuses to tax the rich, strips hospitals/education down to the studs (even now during this crisis!). It's not all bad though, he does have some good things like the SAFE act that I like and he worked with Bernie on free college, though I haven't paid as much attention to where that ended up.

He has some baggage with some bribery scandals though which could bite him in the ###, though maybe not as bad if he was facing Trump.

He has the platform to beat Trump. Just put him on the ballot, and let them each have their daily press conferences. One is basically cursing out the media for quoting him, the other is calm and soothing, even when delivering bad news.

Last edited by a moderator:
On March 9, New York governor Andrew Cuomo announced a measure to fight “egregious” price-gouging: an initiative to produce 100,000 gallons of New York State-produced hand sanitizer every week, to be distributed for free to needy institutions like schools, government agencies, prisons, and the MTA.

“We are problem solvers, state of New York, Empire State, progressive capital of the nation,” Cuomo said during a press conference, before opening a navy curtain and literally unveiling jugs of the “NYS Clean”-branded sanitizer, “made conveniently by the state of New York.”

But according to workers at Great Meadow Correctional Facility in Comstock, New York where the hand sanitizer is being “made,” as well as a spokesperson for the prison system, they are doing nothing more than taking existing hand sanitizer and rebottling it into packaging labeled "NYS Clean."

Cuomo bragged that the NYS hand sanitizer was “superior” due to its high alcohol content (75% to Purell’s 70%) and joked that it was even floral scented, like tulips and hydrangeas. He also touted its price as a major upside. “This is also much less expensive than anything the government could buy—a gallon bottle is $6.10, the 7-ounce bottle is $1.12 our cost, and then there’s a very small size… which is 84 cents. So it’s much cheaper for us to make it ourselves than to buy it on the open market.”

Cuomo claimed that the hand sanitizer would be produced by Corcraft, the public-facing brand name of the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision’s Division of Industries. “Corcraft makes glass cleaner, floor cleaner, degreasers, laundry detergent, vehicle fluids, hand cleaner, and now they make hand sanitizer with alcohol,” Cuomo told the audience.

But according to a NYSDOCCS spokesperson, the hand sanitizer itself is being produced by an outside vendor he would not name; the Great Meadow Facility is only bottling and labeling it. Neither NYSDOCCS nor the governor's office would respond to repeated questions about why the state would need to use prison labor to bottle hand sanitizer, nor did the governor's office respond to questions about Cuomo's pitch that this was a cheaper, more effective option than buying bottled hand sanitizer outright.

Cuomo's Prison Workers Say They're Not Actually Making Hand Sanitizer

Cuomo exploiting prison labor for a PR win.  Wild 

On March 9, New York governor Andrew Cuomo announced a measure to fight “egregious” price-gouging: an initiative to produce 100,000 gallons of New York State-produced hand sanitizer every week, to be distributed for free to needy institutions like schools, government agencies, prisons, and the MTA.

“We are problem solvers, state of New York, Empire State, progressive capital of the nation,” Cuomo said during a press conference, before opening a navy curtain and literally unveiling jugs of the “NYS Clean”-branded sanitizer, “made conveniently by the state of New York.”

But according to workers at Great Meadow Correctional Facility in Comstock, New York where the hand sanitizer is being “made,” as well as a spokesperson for the prison system, they are doing nothing more than taking existing hand sanitizer and rebottling it into packaging labeled "NYS Clean."

Cuomo bragged that the NYS hand sanitizer was “superior” due to its high alcohol content (75% to Purell’s 70%) and joked that it was even floral scented, like tulips and hydrangeas. He also touted its price as a major upside. “This is also much less expensive than anything the government could buy—a gallon bottle is $6.10, the 7-ounce bottle is $1.12 our cost, and then there’s a very small size… which is 84 cents. So it’s much cheaper for us to make it ourselves than to buy it on the open market.”

Cuomo claimed that the hand sanitizer would be produced by Corcraft, the public-facing brand name of the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision’s Division of Industries. “Corcraft makes glass cleaner, floor cleaner, degreasers, laundry detergent, vehicle fluids, hand cleaner, and now they make hand sanitizer with alcohol,” Cuomo told the audience.

But according to a NYSDOCCS spokesperson, the hand sanitizer itself is being produced by an outside vendor he would not name; the Great Meadow Facility is only bottling and labeling it. Neither NYSDOCCS nor the governor's office would respond to repeated questions about why the state would need to use prison labor to bottle hand sanitizer, nor did the governor's office respond to questions about Cuomo's pitch that this was a cheaper, more effective option than buying bottled hand sanitizer outright.

Cuomo's Prison Workers Say They're Not Actually Making Hand Sanitizer

Cuomo exploiting prison labor for a PR win.  Wild 
I hope we get the same outrage, smart quips and frantic Twiiter copy/paste posts decrying this.  I'm sure we will.  Right?

Cuomo is still trying to cut healthcare funding (and education funding for that matter) as we speak.  
Just found out one of my kids teachers is a victim of his budget cuts because of his refusal to tax millionaires and billionaires in the state. 

Even in the bluest of blue states we just keep squeezing and squeezing and squeezing the middle class and poor even in the middle of a pandemic/recession.

Yup.

Liberals are looking for leadership.

Conservatives want their elected representatives to do the things we put them in office to do.  

Interesting to see all the Cuomo love early on.  Anyone change thier minds yet?
Not that I have seen among Democrats. Cuomo has never been vetted on a national stage and while he is basking in the Giuliani effect, that could fade pretty quickly if he were to become the nominee - If Biden were out, it would be one of primary opponents.  

Still not sure why he gets so much love, outside of the massive east coast bias for all news and the fact people forgot what it sounds like when someone standing behind a podium can speak in complete sentences. Newsom and Inslee should be getting all the praise on TV for actually doing a good job, Cuomo is just playing cleanup after dropping the ball.

Conservatives want their elected representatives to do the things we put them in office to do.  
Liberals definitely want someone they pick to do the things they say.

No one was elected with handling a pandemic in mind so at the moment when I wrote that we needed both.

This is surprisingly a pretty good summary.

When you look at Trump, and the things he says and does, for his supporters - those are features, not flaws.

Just found out one of my kids teachers is a victim of his budget cuts because of his refusal to tax millionaires and billionaires in the state. 

Even in the bluest of blue states we just keep squeezing and squeezing and squeezing the middle class and poor even in the middle of a pandemic/recession.
Right on cue...

Cuomo issues a warning shot, of sorts, to state lawmakers returning to session this week. "Any additional money we spend increases the cuts to school aid, local government and hospitals," he said. "It's a zero sum game."

https://twitter.com/JonCampbellGAN/status/1264952653802594304
If only there was a way to get more income... says the governor of a state with 84 billionaires and the home of the stock exchange

He looks and sounds the part, but the actual record shows that his response was near the bottom of any governor in US.  Terrible.

Cuomo raked in $2.3 million dollars from hospitals & nursing homes.  Now he’s giving them legal immunity for their criminal negligence.  Meanwhile CNN hosts him for playful chats with his brother, as Cuomo fans tell us what a ‘real leader’ looks like.  The whole thing is just comically cynical.  

Cuomo raked in $2.3 million dollars from hospitals & nursing homes.  Now he’s giving them legal immunity for their criminal negligence.  Meanwhile CNN hosts him for playful chats with his brother, as Cuomo fans tell us what a ‘real leader’ looks like.  The whole thing is just comically cynical.  
Where else can I tune in to hear what a sex icon he has become while people die?

He looks and sounds the part, but the actual record shows that his response was near the bottom of any governor in US.  Terrible.
It's funny I live in NY and don't know a single person who likes him (well, before COVID anyway). The liberals didn't like his personality, the Republicans don't like the SAFE act and the lefties think he's a terrible NeoLiberal (he is). He's also had many very close associates investigated for and/or convicted of corruption. Where there's smoke...

All that said, whenever he comes up for an election he smashes his opponents. We deserve what we get I guess. 🤷‍♂️

It's funny I live in NY and don't know a single person who likes him (well, before COVID anyway). The liberals didn't like his personality, the Republicans don't like the SAFE act and the lefties think he's a terrible NeoLiberal (he is). He's also had many very close associates investigated for and/or convicted of corruption. Where there's smoke...

All that said, whenever he comes up for an election he smashes his opponents. We deserve what we get I guess. 🤷‍♂️
Question, who the heck was running against De Blasio that they lost?  

Good question... I had to go look it up, don't really recognize any of the names.  NY politics are such a mess from the top on down
I believe when he was first elected he ran against a billionaire who was also the head of the MTA, Llhota iirc.

It was actually a smooth well-oiled machine while Bloomberg was in office. 

Sad to hear that Cuomo may have done more damage spreading the virus with his nursing home scandal coverup.  Seems like everything is political these days.

New York's true nursing home death toll cloaked in secrecy

NEW YORK (AP) — New York's coronavirus death toll in nursing homes, already among the highest in the nation, could actually be a significant undercount.

Unlike every other state with major outbreaks, New York only counts residents who died on nursing home property and not those who died in hospitals.

That statistic could add thousands to the state's official care home death toll of just over 6,600.

But the administration of Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo has so far refused to divulge the figure, leading to speculation New York is manipulating the figures to make it appear it is doing better than other states.

Yeah, this thread hasn't aged well.  Especially with what we know now.
Disagree.  Given that NYC is probably the single hardest place in the country to control COVID, was one of the first outbreak locations when we knew very little, and Cuomo had to contend with DeBlasio's idiocy, I think NY has done remarkably well.  Cuomo was dealt a difficult hand and NYC is now looking good.  Texas, Florida, etc. had every opportunity in the world to learn from others mistakes and successes, then proceeded to ignore all available data and lessons in order to #### things up royally.

Disagree.  Given that NYC is probably the single hardest place in the country to control COVID, was one of the first outbreak locations when we knew very little, and Cuomo had to contend with DeBlasio's idiocy, I think NY has done remarkably well.  Cuomo was dealt a difficult hand and NYC is now looking good.  Texas, Florida, etc. had every opportunity in the world to learn from others mistakes and successes, then proceeded to ignore all available data and lessons in order to #### things up royally.
New York had the opportunity to learn from Italy and Spain and ####ed things up royally.  Lots of us watched this play out in real time just a few months ago.  

New York had the opportunity to learn from Italy and Spain and ####ed things up royally.  Lots of us watched this play out in real time just a few months ago.  
Exactly.

I find it curious that they're willing to give Cuomo and NY all kinds of breaks and excuses but offer no such breaks to Trump.

Exactly.

I find it curious that they're willing to give Cuomo and NY all kinds of breaks and excuses but offer no such breaks to Trump.
Of course, you could flip that around, and say its curious that people are willing to give Trump all kinds of breaks and excuses (and even admiration for his handling of the virus), but offer no such breaks to Cuomo.

Users who are viewing this thread