What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

Here are the recent picks that haven't been added to the spreadsheet yet:

11.15 - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) - Animated

11.16  -  Young Frankenstein  -  Best Comedy

12.1  -  Get Out  -  Horror

12.2 - My Heart Will Go On (theme song to Titanic) - Original Song

12.3 - Django Unchained - Western

Sorry for the delay there.  This is getting more difficult.

Round 12  -  Get Out  -  Horror

I just loved this.  It was so nice to see a true horror movie with no slasher component.  Excellent and creepy all the way through.
I was wondering if/when this would be picked and curious how it will do during judging.  

I have about a dozen movies to choose here, but going with Judy who should be in the conversation for Legendary Movie Star.  Let me hype it up....

She could do it all, but her life has transcended Hollywood, her sensitive and beautiful performance on screen as Dorothy as a child actress has carried the movie through the decades and her work in Musicals with Mickey, Gene and Co helped create and maintain the genre... her songs on screen are often considered the all time standard and the emotional depth she would bring to the material is always wonderful to watch...  she did a magnificent turn in Judgment at Nuremberg adding to her acting chops in the later parts of her career, but her off screen courage and grit as an Entertainer and star were rewarded with her triumphant Grammy Award Winning 1961 Judy at Carnegie Hall performance which imho cemented her as an all time entertainer and icon.  A true legend.

Pick 12.05 Judy Garland - Legendary Movie Star

Some Wiki Highlights

Judy Garland
...a career spanning 45 years, she attained international stardom as an actress in both musical and dramatic roles, as a recording artist, and on the concert stage.[2][3] Renowned for her versatility, she received an Academy Juvenile Award, a Golden Globe Award, a Special Tony Award, and was the first woman to win the Grammy Award for Album of the Year for her 1961 live recording Judy at Carnegie Hall.

Garland began performing in vaudeville as a child with her two older sisters and was later signed to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer as a teenager. She appeared in more than two dozen films for MGM and is remembered for portraying Dorothy Gale in The Wizard of Oz (1939). Garland was a frequent on-screen partner of both Mickey Rooney and Gene Kelly and regularly collaborated with director and second husband Vincente Minnelli. ...

...two of Garland's most critically acclaimed roles came later in her career: she received a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance in A Star Is Born (1954) and a nomination for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Judgment at Nuremberg (1961). She also made record-breaking concert appearances, released eight studio albums, and hosted her own Emmy-nominated television series, The Judy Garland Show (1963–1964). At age 39, Garland became the youngest and first female recipient of the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement in the film industry. In 1997, Garland was posthumously awarded the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. Several of her recordings have been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, and in 1999, the American Film Institute ranked her as the eighth-greatest female screen legend of Classic Hollywood Cinema.[4]

Legacy

... She has been called one of the greats of entertainment, and her reputation has endured.[170][171][172][173] In 1992, Gerald Clarke of Architectural Digest dubbed Garland "probably the greatest American entertainer of the twentieth century".[156] O'Brien believes that "No one in the history of Hollywood ever packed the musical wallop that Garland did", explaining, "She had the biggest, most versatile voice in movies. Her Technicolor musicals... defined the genre. The songs she introduced were Oscar gold. Her film career frames the Golden Age of Hollywood musicals."[153] Turner Classic Movies dubbed Garland "history's most poignant voice".[150].... In June 1998, in The New York Times, Camille Paglia wrote that, "Garland was a personality on the grand scale who makes our current crop of pop stars look lightweight and evanescent."[152] In recent years, Garland's legacy has maintained fans of all different ages, both younger and older.[166] In 2010, The Huffington Post contributor Joan E. Dowlin concluded that Garland possessed a distinct "it" quality by "exemplif[ying] the star quality of charisma, musical talent, natural acting ability, and, despite what the studio honchos said, good looks (even if they were the girl next door looks)".[153] AllMusic's biographer William Ruhlmann said that "the core of her significance as an artist remains her amazing voice and emotional commitment to her songs", ....  Strassler described Garland as "more than an icon... ... she created a template that the powers that be have forever been trying, with varied levels of success, to replicate."[165]

Garland's live performances towards the end of her career are still remembered by fans who attended them as "peak moments in 20th-century music".[155] She has been the subject of over thirty biographies since her death

I am big! It's the pictures that got small.

12.06 Best movie ever: Sunset Boulevard  (1950)

It leaves me a little flexibility to move it to the 50s depending how things shake out. 
You just knew I was going to take that, right? I'm in the middle of watching it right now.  :kicksrock:

I was confident in what I wanted to take up until now. I find myself struggling to decide. Excuse me while I flip a few coins. 

12.07 - Last of the Mohicans - Historical Drama 

Not a big fan of this category, so I'll take my favorite movie remaining in it.

The build up to and the final battle between Chingach#### and Magua is still one of the best in cinema. It's visceral and involving each and every time I watch it.

By most accounts, there were on average at least 20 takes for each set-up. Such lengthy shootings (and the ensuing costs) would account for 20th Century Fox sending a Rep to do nothing except stand behind Mann and say, "That's enough Michael, move on."

Reputedly, the Fort William Henry set was constructed at a cost of $6m.

There are three versions with three different running times: the original 1992 release 112 minute version, the 2001 117 minute director's expanded version, and a 2010 director's definitive cut at 114 minutes. The original 1992 release is still the best.

During the siege scenes, large mortars are seen to fire huge cannon balls at the fort. On one day while attempting to capture the projectiles arcking through the air, basketballs spray painted black were actually fired from the mortars. Problem was, most of them either burned up in the barrel or briefly flamed in the air for several feet before falling to earth.

Although the Ft. William Henry massacre actually took place, historical fact differs somewhat from historical fiction. A Col. Munro was in command at the fort and did indeed surrender to Montcalm when General Webb could not arrive in time to reinforce him. The attack by the Hurons after the surrender was directed at the colonial militia and its Indian allies. Munro and the British regulars were at the head of the column under the protection of French soldiers and did not know that the column had been attacked until they arrived at Ft. Edward. James Fenimore Cooper based his novel on reports from survivors of the attack. The British used the attack to stir up the colonials to join in the fight against the French. In all versions of the story except this one, Munro survives and is saved by Hawkeye. Munroe survived in real life as well.

12.07 - Last of the Mohicans - Historical Drama 

Not a big fan of this category, so I'll take my favorite movie remaining in it.

The build up to and the final battle between Chingach#### and Magua is still one of the best in cinema. It's visceral and involving each and every time I watch it.

By most accounts, there were on average at least 20 takes for each set-up. Such lengthy shootings (and the ensuing costs) would account for 20th Century Fox sending a Rep to do nothing except stand behind Mann and say, "That's enough Michael, move on."

Reputedly, the Fort William Henry set was constructed at a cost of $6m.

There are three versions with three different running times: the original 1992 release 112 minute version, the 2001 117 minute director's expanded version, and a 2010 director's definitive cut at 114 minutes. The original 1992 release is still the best.

During the siege scenes, large mortars are seen to fire huge cannon balls at the fort. On one day while attempting to capture the projectiles arcking through the air, basketballs spray painted black were actually fired from the mortars. Problem was, most of them either burned up in the barrel or briefly flamed in the air for several feet before falling to earth.

Although the Ft. William Henry massacre actually took place, historical fact differs somewhat from historical fiction. A Col. Munro was in command at the fort and did indeed surrender to Montcalm when General Webb could not arrive in time to reinforce him. The attack by the Hurons after the surrender was directed at the colonial militia and its Indian allies. Munro and the British regulars were at the head of the column under the protection of French soldiers and did not know that the column had been attacked until they arrived at Ft. Edward. James Fenimore Cooper based his novel on reports from survivors of the attack. The British used the attack to stir up the colonials to join in the fight against the French. In all versions of the story except this one, Munro survives and is saved by Hawkeye. Munroe survived in real life as well.
I've almost taken this the last 3 turns, one of my 90's faves...

I believe Andy's pick puts team Gallstein on the clock, and I'm ready to roll.

12.08 Saturday Night Fever - Decade 70's

Saturday Night Fever puts a thin veneer over the New York City of Taxi Driver and shows us a slice of life in a bustling city full of normal people going about their normal lives dealing with their normal problems like leaving the priesthood and their normal dreams like becoming the king of the discotheque.

Disco was already a thing long before this movie came out, so it's merely a spotlight on this cultural phenomenon and not the cause of it.  From 20s speakeasys and jazz clubs, through 50's and 60's coffee/beatnick bars, through the post disco club scene that Madonna clawed her way out of and beyond, we've always had a hip, trendy club and music scene, so while the fashions and songs change, the dreams of rising to glory remain constant, and this film is the epitome of what that looked like in the 70's.

For our judges consideration, from a budget of $3.5 million, the film's box office take was $237.1 million, and it was nominated for 11 awards including an Oscar and BAFTA nomination for John Travolta as best actor.  

Representing the decade isn't a requirement for this draft, by lucky happenstance this film does.  It IS the 70's. BOOM

OK, after reviewing the sheets, I believe that I would best be suited for:

1. Decade - 1980's
  2. Decade - 1970's
  3. Decade - 1960's
(In order of my knowledge)

I experienced the 70's & 80's in real time & gazed back to 60's much. So - it's familiar territory.
Forgot to reply but I have you down for these 3.

We have judges for 15 out of 50 categories right now.

12.09 The Usual Suspects - 90s

McQuarrie won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay and XXX won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor at the 68th Academy Awards.[40] In his acceptance speech Spacey said, "Well, whoever Keyser Söze is, I can tell you he's gonna get gloriously drunk tonight."[41]

The film was nominated as the best film at the 1996 British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA awards). McQuarrie won the BAFTA Award for Best Original Screenplay, and John Ottman won the BAFTA Award for Best Editing.[42] The film was nominated for three Independent Spirit Awards — Best Supporting Actor for XXX, Best Screenplay for Christopher McQuarrie and Best Cinematography for Newton Thomas Sigel.[43] Both Del Toro and McQuarrie won in their categories.[44]

The Usual Suspects was screened at the 1995 Seattle International Film Festival, where XXX was awarded Best Director and XXX won for Best Actor.[46] The Boston Society of Film Critics gave XXX the Best Supporting Actor award for his work on the film.[47] XXX went on to win this award with the New York Film Critics Circle and the National Board of Review, which also gave the cast an ensemble acting award.[48]

On June 17, 2008, the American Film Institute revealed its "AFI's 10 Top 10"—the best ten films in ten "classic" American film genres—after polling over 1,500 people from the creative community. The Usual Suspects was acknowledged as the tenth-best mystery film.[49] Verbal Kint was voted the #48 villain in "AFI's 100 Years...100 Heroes and Villains" in June 2003.

Entertainment Weekly cited the film as one of the "13 must-see heist movies".[50] Empire ranked Keyser Söze #69 in their "The 100 Greatest Movie Characters" poll.[51] In August 2016, James Charisma of Paste ranked The Usual Suspects among Kevin Spacey's greatest film performances.[52]

In 2013, the Writers Guild of America ranked the screenplay #35 on its list of 101 Greatest Screenplays ever written.[7]
I don't know anyone who doesn't love this movie and if I did I wouldn't want to know them.

Last edited by a moderator:
12.09 The Usual Suspects - 90s\

I don't know anyone who doesn't love this movie and if I did I wouldn't want to know them.
My sister and I’m only half sold on her myself. I remember after this came out on video, I told her she had to watch it. About 20 minutes into the movie she guessed the twist and thought it was so dumb and obvious. I’m still not sure if someone had told her ahead of time or if she’s just a lot smarter than me.

My sister and I’m only half sold on her myself. I remember after this came out on video, I told her she had to watch it. About 20 minutes into the movie she guessed the twist and thought it was so dumb and obvious. I’m still not sure if someone had told her ahead of time or if she’s just a lot smarter than me.
Hmmmm...

Pretty impressive. 

I mean where would it stop? There's bad people in every sort of entertainment media out there including sports, music, movies, TV....
Agreed and it’s even less of a concern for me with actors. They don’t write or create anything, they are just avatars for others peoples ideas and vision.

Users who are viewing this thread