What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

Agreed and it’s even less of a concern for me with actors. They don’t write or create anything, they are just avatars for others peoples ideas and vision.
But they do get my money when I purchase a viewing of a movie. 

I am leaning more towards "watch it in spite of what you know" whereas before I went the other way. I mean, how can you not watch Chinatown?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Gump! What's your sole purpose in this army?"

"To do whatever you tell me, drill sergeant!"

"God dam-n it, Gump! You're a god dam-n genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. You must have a gosh darn I.Q. of 160. You are god-damm gifted, Private Gump ..."

12.11: Forrest Gump, 1990s Film

Not always the best practice in these things to join even a mini-run on a category ... but I've been sitting on this one for a little bit. Think it would've been good value even a few rounds back.

12.13 — Francis Ford Coppola, legendary director.

Francis Ford Coppola is an American retired film director, producer, and screenwriter. He was a central figure in the New Hollywood filmmaking movement of the 1960s and 1970s, and is widely considered to be one of the greatest filmmakers of all time.

After directing The Rain People in 1969, Coppola co-wrote Patton (1970), earning the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay along with Edmund H. North. Coppola's reputation as a filmmaker was cemented with the release of The Godfather (1972). The film revolutionized movie-making in the gangster genre, and was adored by the public and critics alike. The Godfather won three Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Adapted Screenplay (shared with Mario Puzo).

The Godfather Part II, which followed in 1974, became the first sequel to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. Highly regarded by critics, the film brought Coppola three more Academy Awards: Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Director, and Best Picture, and made him the second director (after Billy Wilder) to be so honored three times for the same film. The Conversation, which Coppola directed, produced and wrote, was released that same year, winning the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. His next film, Apocalypse Now (1979), which notoriously had a lengthy and strenuous production, was widely acclaimed for its vivid depiction of the Vietnam War. The film won the Palme d'Or, making Coppola one of only eight filmmakers to have won that award twice.

12.15 — City Lights - Romantic Comedy

Tough to pick where to slot this - could go in to GOAT or 30's but we landed on Romantic Comedy (for now) for reasons you will see below.

City Lights is a 1931 American pre-Code silent romantic comedy film. The story follows the misadventures of the protagonist as he falls in love with a blind girl and develops a turbulent friendship with an alcoholic millionaire.

City Lights was immediately successful upon release on January 30, 1931, with positive reviews and box office receipts of $5 million. Today, many critics consider it one of the greatest films of all time. In 1991, the Library of Congress selected City Lights for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".  In 2007, the American Film Institute ranked it 11th on its list of the best American films ever made.

• AFI chose the film as the best romantic comedy of American cinema in 2008
  • Although sound films were on the rise when the movie script was being developed in 1928, it was decided to continue working with silent productions.
  • In 1952, Sight and Sound magazine revealed the results of its first poll for "The Best Films of All Time"; City Lights was voted #2
  • As mentioned, in 2007, the American Film Institute's tenth anniversary edition ranked City Lights as the 11th greatest American film of all time
  • In 1949, the critic James Agee called the film's final scene "the greatest single piece of acting ever committed to celluloid".

@KarmaPolice @Ilov80s

13.04 -- Gene Hackman, Supporting Actor.

I encourage anyone to look at his film history on imdb -- overwhelmingly a supporting actor.

Nominated for five Academy Awards, .... Best Supporting Actor as "Little" Bill Daggett in the Clint Eastwood Western Unforgiven (1992). His other nominations for Best Supporting Actor came with the films Bonnie and Clyde (1967) and I Never Sang for My Father (1970).... .

Sports analogy:    The Cincinnati Reds had a trio of relief pitchers ~ '90 nicknamed the "Nasty Boys". Just because they all had experience as a true closer during their careers doesn't mean they each couldn't be appreciated in a lesser role like in 1990. And just because Hackman has gravitas shouldn't exclude him from being appreciated in support roles.... which has overwhelmingly been what he's played.

13.05 - Solaris (1972) - Space

Please, @Andy Dufresne is NOT allowed to judge this category (yes, I'm still bitter about that! 😁 )

Russia's answer to 2001, this is simply fantastic science fiction. Yes, it's 3 hours long and fairly slow, and many people drop out about time they are endlessly driving through the tunnel (I heard that was by design). But man, what a ride. With really good science fiction, you draw your own conclusions, and you certainly do here. 

@Doug B

13.05 - Solaris (1972) - Space

Please, @Andy Dufresne is NOT allowed to judge this category (yes, I'm still bitter about that! :) )

Russia's answer to 2001, this is simply fantastic science fiction. Yes, it's 3 hours long and fairly slow, and many people drop out about time they are endlessly driving through the tunnel (I heard that was by design). But man, what a ride. With really good science fiction, you draw your own conclusions, and you certainly do here. 

@Doug B
We'd better not judge this, either.  Oy.

• Laughing
Reactions: jwb

Users who are viewing this thread