What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

Pino, #### you, #### your ####in' pizza, and #### Frank Sinatra.

15.11 Best movie of the 80s: Do the Right Thing (89)

It's been 30 years and the movie has only improved with time and age, it's not my favorite movie from this director but it fits well into the draft plan and should score high. It should have swept the Oscars that year and it was criminal that it didn't get a Best Picture and Best Director. 
Better for Spike Lee that he didn't. Hard to play up the aggrieved angle when...you're not.

It's been 30 years and the movie has only improved with time and age, it's not my favorite movie from this director but it fits well into the draft plan and should score high. It should have swept the Oscars that year and it was criminal that it didn't get a Best Picture and Best Director. 
I've seen Crooklyn and haven't seen this. That is wrong. I think every time it comes on, I feel the hot summer in the city. That's a testament to Lee. He obviously places an uncomfortable emotional situation within an uncomfortable physical one. The whole point seems to be discomfort. That's not so good for the watcher; says nothing bad about the film. 

Oh you were talking about 2001. I drafted it a long time ago so it's fair to mention directly. It is a difficult movie and not one that is traditionally entertaining, it has its own set of rules. Also, this is kind of pretentious, but I think it has to be seen in a theater to get the full experience of what it is. All movies are better at a theater but 2001 requires the size, scope, awe, majesty and power of the big screen and especially big time audio set-up. 
Thus sprach you. 

eta* Bum Bum BUHNUM!

eta2* I knew you drafted it. I'd take my comments as light-heartedly as you can take them. I personally hated the film. I rarely criticize overwhelming consensus out of humility, but this one I've never gotten.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen Crooklyn and haven't seen this. That is wrong. I think every time it comes on, I feel the hot summer in the city. That's a testament to Lee. He obviously places an uncomfortable emotional situation within an uncomfortable physical one. The whole point seems to be discomfort. That's not so good for the watcher; says nothing bad about the film. 
Oh yeah, it and Rear Window are probably the 2 best movies I have seen where the film really makes you feel the oppressive heat of summer and the general agitation it can bring. 

15.10 - Breathless - Best of 1960's

The 60's aren't great but Breathless is. This movie is the perfect prelude to the self-centered, nihilistic baby boomer producing 60's. Jaws "invented" the blockbuster but Breathless changed film making to its core.  

Again, Ebert's review sums it up best. 

No permission was ever granted for any of the exterior filming.

The director said, "there used to be just one way. There was one way you could do things. There were people who protected it like a copyright, a secret cult only for the initiated. That's why I don't regret making Breathless and blowing that all apart. We barged into the cinema like cavemen into the Versailles of Louis XV."

Breathless ranked as the No. 22 best film of all time in the decennial British Film Institute's 1992 Sight and Sound Critics' Poll. In the 2002 poll, it ranked 15th. Ten years later, in 2012, Breathless was the No. 13 best film of all time in the overall Sight and Sound poll, and the 11th best film in the concurrent Directors' Poll.
Another movie I have never heard of.  This is a very educational draft.

Thus sprach you. 

eta* Bum Bum BUHNUM!

eta2* I knew you drafted it. I'd take my comments as light-heartedly as you can take them. I personally hated the film. I rarely criticize overwhelming consensus out of humility, but this one I've never gotten.  
No worries, I know it's a polarizing film and you aren't the first person to express here how much they hated it. 

Another movie I have never heard of.  This is a very educational draft.
It's French

It's been 30 years and the movie has only improved with time and age, it's not my favorite movie from this director but it fits well into the draft plan and should score high. It should have swept the Oscars that year and it was criminal that it didn't get a Best Picture and Best Director nomination.
Yes, finally a movie picked today that i have heard of.  However,  I have not seen it.

15.10 - Breathless - Best of 1960's

The 60's aren't great but Breathless is. This movie is the perfect prelude to the self-centered, nihilistic baby boomer producing 60's. Jaws "invented" the blockbuster but Breathless changed film making to its core.  

Again, Ebert's review sums it up best. 
from that review, "You cannot even begin to count the characters played by Pacino, Beatty, Nicholson, Penn, who are directly descended from Jean-Paul Belmondo's insouciant killer Michel." Moreso, Sir Michael Phillip Jagger would be a retired Exchequer official if Belmondo hadnt invented his "type". i've watched Breathless three times, enjoyed hardly a moment, but couldnt take my eyes off the screen

from that review, "You cannot even begin to count the characters played by Pacino, Beatty, Nicholson, Penn, who are directly descended from Jean-Paul Belmondo's insouciant killer Michel." Moreso, Sir Michael Phillip Jagger would be a retired Exchequer official if Belmondo hadnt invented his "type". i've watched Breathless three times, enjoyed hardly a moment, but couldnt take my eyes off the screen
I'm not criticizing this comment, only adding my own perspective. By the time I hit adulthood and watched the film, that "type" had been done to so many times and to such excess that his menace was sugary and foppish; Seberg's attraction to him all that much more fitting the American ingenue.

Context is everything, I guess. I like the movie for Seberg's innocent American abroad more than I am put off or scared by the Bogey-like nature of Belmondo's killer cool. 

It is also more than possible that Godard saw such in Bogart, intentionally made him comedic, and I'm not far off in how I view it in context. It just lacks the shock, is all. 

It's about a pretend psychopath and a real one. Chaos reins in their wake, until the pretender is killed. Not exactly "It's A Wonderful Life".

Oh yeah, it and Rear Window are probably the 2 best movies I have seen where the film really makes you feel the oppressive heat of summer and the general agitation it can bring. 
There's another that I can think of that does this, though it's not thought of on the same level as those two.

I won't name it because of, IMO, the slightly silly aversion to spotlighting in a thread about movies filled with film buffs. "Boy - good thing I redacted Brando and Coppola when I wrote my essay on The Godfather! Wouldn't want to tip anyone off".

I'm not criticizing this comment, only adding my own perspective. By the time I hit adulthood and watched the film, that "type" had been done to so many times and to such excess that his menace was sugary and foppish; Seberg's attraction to him all that much more fitting the American ingenue.

Context is everything, I guess. I like the movie for Seberg's innocent American abroad more than I am put off or scared by the Bogey-like nature of Belmondo's killer cool. 

It is also more than possible that Godard saw such in Bogart, intentionally made him comedic, and I'm not far off in how I view it in context. It just lacks the shock, is all. 
If you think Seberg's Patricia was innocent I think you missed something. IMO, of course.

Seems like a good time to grab one from this category, one of the Modern era greats imho, he had me at Terminator and I’ve loved almost everything he has Directed since...

James Cameron - Modern Era - Director 
He seems like a total jerkweed but his movies are great. Except for Avatar.

I don't think she's fully innocent. But her breezy embrace of forced and stylistic nihilism is genuinely American, IMO. Hence the ingenue part of it.
I dunno, I think she showed Michel what nihilism really was. Whether she realized it in herself immediately or after is debatable, I suppose.

Another good question is whether she was a "better" nihilist because she was American or female...or both.

Another good question is whether she was a "better" nihilist because she was American or female...or both.
I think so. I think that was his point in making her American. He could have made her anything, but student-journalist takes the sting out of her worldliness. She's not an expatriate yet, she's a student and chronicler, seeing all of settled and unsettled Europe (that which has been influenced by America). 

I also think Godard gives us more insight into his views on modern men and women and pop culture in Masculin-Feminin. It becomes difficult to reconcile any sort of thoughts that he does not think females are more breezily nihilistic after seeing that film. It's a pedant's film (and mention, even) for sure, but it holds clues whereupon one can then look back on other films that are left vague for style purposes and say, "Oh, that's what he was saying with that." So yes, I think Seberg being both American and female is no accident, and she is truly a nihilist; however, whether her nihilism is borne of culture or essence is still up for debate. 

Unless my link is unique, I still see this listed under GOAT - Greatest Movie of All Time; rather than the 60's.

Who has mod powers for the spreadsheet?
I think @hagmania is the one updating the sheet

And on that note, as a drafter, make sure your picks are all accounted for, and assigned to the categories you want.  The spreadsheet lets you sort by category or drafter, so make sure both reflect your picks.

15.14 - Alan Rickman - Best Supporting Actor
I just love him in everything. His appearance and voice are so distinct yet fits into every role perfectly. I also have to give credit to my wife for reminding me of Rickman so I can stay married. :heart:  

I almost audibled this pick but I'll wait a few turns to get my other selection. :nowhammies:

TheWinz said:
Took my courtroom drama!
I just realized the category is courtroom "drama".  So Vinny probably not a good choice there since its a comedy.  Is this really meant to be dramas only?  

Round 15.16  Modern Movie Star - Female  -  CHER

The definition of "star".  She made her entrance in Bob Mackie gowns.  She's been an icon for decades.  Her achievements cross into just about everything.  And she can actually act.  One nomination for Supporting Actress and one win for Best Actress.

Snap out of it!  She's just the best.

I just realized the category is courtroom "drama".  So Vinny probably not a good choice there since its a comedy.  Is this really meant to be dramas only?  
It has a real story with the comedy, and the courtroom action is based on the real-life experiences of the writers.  Not all courtrooms are that serious all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread