What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (2 Viewers)

In descending order.  

Genre WAR OTHER 

-----------------------

16.  Escape to Victory a/k/a Victory - 1 pt

You got your chocolate in my peanut butter, you got your soccer in my war movie. 

Believe it or not this is not the only Other War flick that has a plot of war AND soccer on this list.  This one stars the Italian Stallion along with Michael Caine, Max von Sydow, and Pelé, yes Pelé along with other English 'football/soccer' stars.

Directed by none other than John Houston and I'm sure it appeals to a certain crowd who think nothing of WW II Nazis supplying POWs with color coordinated soccer uniforms playing in big stadiums is just fine and dandy.

The plot is an odd mix of the Great Escape, The Longest Yard, and the 1936 Jessie Owen Olympic games but not in a good way.  The plot is too embarrassing to give a thorough synopsis but one sub-plot has Stallone escaping a  POW camp, romancing a French girl then going back to play soccer.  

15.   Hamburger Hill - 2 pts

Not a star studded cast, starring Dylan McDermott a young Don Cheadle along with Steven Weber (TV show Wings).  Not a big budget but this film is not bad and it is well-made, err the Pillip Glass score is a bit melodramatic and not the greatest dialogue but what do you expect with the subject matter.

May 1969, ten of the bloodiest days in the bloodiest battle of the Vietnam war.  The infamous Airborne 101st taking hill 937 in the Ashau Valley.  The film starts out with a panning shot the black wall in DC where you'll find a lot of names from the hill.  The panning shot seamlessly continues right into what Nam vets called 'the sh!t'.  The battle scenes are brutal, you feel the dirt, thirst, smells.  

This had to have been a tough shoot.  Their are a lot of good picks on the list or it would go higher.  

14.  Zero Dark 30 - 3 pts

The first entry from Kathryn Bigelow on this list and the former wife of James Cameron can make a slick-flick.  

Not a star studded line-up.  Starring Jessica Chastain but other than Chris Pratt not a lot of star power.  The DOD must have funded this one because they try to soft pedal torture with posturing and posing and a hot babe lead. 

As a former member of Amnesty International who worked on the Urgent Action Hotline where I used to get people out of torture situations I am repulsed by this movie but understand it is well made and some eat it up with red/white/and blue silver spoons.  Not me.

13.  Zulu - 4 pts

Soo beautifully shot.  I mean gorgeous breathtaking backdrops.  It qualifies as an epic.

Starring Michael Caine in his first leading role, Stanley Baker, and what may be the greatest pipes in film history Jack Hawkins, love his voice its awesome.  (married to Jessica Tandy and suffered throat cancer which gave a deep throaty gravely quality to his voice.  He would eventually lose his entire larynx to throat cancer in 1967).  Caine is really good and this role caused his star to rise.  Oh and Richard Burton supplies the talent of the voice over.

Lots of stiff-upper-lip carry-on propriety that is endearing.  Lots of bare breasted native women in what can only be described as gratuitously framed shots.   The battle scenes are not technically good, best described as comedic as the battle was close fighting so the shots are obviously fake.  Still the story is interesting.  Definitely worth a viewing so long as you don't get too wrapped up in the battle scenes.

12.  The Hurt Locker - 5 pts

Another Bigelow movie and the one that earned her best director and she deserved it as this is a well made movie that she made on a small budget.  I'm not a big fan of the herky jerky hand-held shots that this film is littered with but the action sequences are awesome so big props to cinematographer Barry Ackroyd.

Starring Jeremy Renner, Guy Pierce, Ralph Fiennes.  The movie is intense, great scenes, great shots, once again tip of the hat to Kathyrn Bigelow for her work in this one.  Lots of vets have ripped the realism of the movie but it is without a doubt entertaining.  

Renner became a legit star in my eyes in this movie, he is great and burns up the screen as a reckless member of a bomb detonation team with a death wish.  Renner lost 15 lbs in four days as he wore the full bomb squad gear in 120 degree F heat filmed up to three miles from the Iraqi border.  

11.  300 - 6 pts

Do ya like Gladiator movies Billy?  Whats not to like with a bunch of muscled shirtless sweating hulks brandishing battle axe's and scimitars?  Add in lots bare breasted babes to pump testosterone into the green screen hyper realism of mindless movie making magic.  The result creates pure blood soaked guy entertainment.

Starring Gerard Butler, Michael Fassbender, and nobody else you've ever heard of.  Its not about the acting or the directing, its mindless entertainment and it is entertaining.  

=====================================

genre WAR OTHER    Con't

-----------------------------------------

10. Black Hawk Down  7 pts

Ridley Scott film based on real life in an action packed 'Get outta Denver Baby Go-Go' drama.

Starring Josh Hartnett, Ewan McGregor, Tom Sizemore, Eric Banna.  Solid cast and Scott's film making earned two Academy Awards for editing and sound.  It does have amazing SX (Sound Effects).

1993, the place Mogadishu Somalia.  UN peacekeepers withdraw empowering Mohamed Farrah Aidid whose militia declares war on the remaining UN personnel.  Enter Special Ops – 75th Rangers, Delta Force, and 160th SOAR - Night Stalkers aviators – intending to capture Aidid, who has proclaimed himself president.  They enter a hornet nest nightmare.  

Worked with a very-cool skinny dude who was aboard a ship in that 'general area' at the time when it came under heavy small arms fire where he was the only one who could fit so he was chosen to sneak through air ducts to get from one side of the ship to the other.  He said bullets were pinging off the metal as he crawled through. 

The movie may seem fantastically one-sided but it was true to reality as the final body count from this battle was 19 US dead with an estimated 1,000 Somali militia.  Even considering an inflated Vietnam-type body count the battle was decidedly one-sided however discretion being the better part of valor the US pulled out after the battle.

9.  The Boys in Company C - 8 pts 

The other war/soccer flick but this one was based on real life events.  Not a big name director and a cast where the biggest name is Andrew Stevens.  You'd recognize him if you saw him but the cast is basically TV actors but it has a debut from R. Lee Ermey who plays the same hard nosed DI that he plays in another movie that makes this list.  Stan Shaw stars as the lead and is very good.  James Whitmore Jr., yes he's the son of James Whitmore is excellent as Lt. Archer.  No big names but the cast comes togther really well in this film.

The plot, ah.  They stole from MASH and completely lifted portions of Phillip Caputo's book 'Rumor Of War'.  You can clearly see where the previously mentioned 'Victory' stole directly from this plot so that was a derivative of a derived work.

I really liked this movie more than I would have expected but the ending is just corny.  The dialogue does not travel well at all from the 70s especially the 'jive talk' and their is racist talk that stuns you but it is within proper context and it should shock you.  I had seen this movie before but it was good to see it again.  Check this one out if you haven't or haven't seen it in a long time.

8. The Deer Hunter - 9 pts

The first R rated movie I ever saw.  Superbly directed by Michael Cimino who also helped to re-write an unproduced script.  Star studded cast,  Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken, and John Savage, with John Cazale, and Meryl Streep.  Deniro is incendiary as he burns right through the screen (he would claim this as his most physically demanding part which is impressive if you've ever seen The Mission) .  High production values as the script went well over budget and time.  5 Academy Award wins along with 9 noms, add Streep getting her first of many-many-many nominations.  So many great performances but I like the under stated acting of John Savage in this one and wondered why he didn't rise to fame as the rest of the cast.

Almost like three movies in one.  The first in the steel town of Pennsylvania with a group of friends and a classic wedding scene that goes on for a very long time.  Hard cut to Nam leading up to the ultimate Russian Roulette scene in film history and one I literally jumped out of my seat and clapped at the screen I was so wrapped up in the emotion.  Then the odd ending which knocks this one down a bit.  Camino was over budget and under pressure so I have to think he was under pressure to get this one in the can because the ending is unsatisfying and odd.  

7. LA GRANDE ILLUSION (GRAND ILLUSION) 10 pts 

You may not have seen this foreign movie, I hadn't but its fantastic.  Directed by Jean Renoir but has a supporting role played by historic director Eric Von Stroheim, it is doubtful you'd recognize any of the other foreign actors from the 30s but it is 'capably' acted and well directed outside of a few noticeable camera/focus issues that distract a little from the action.  

The precursor of all modern POW escape films which fits nicely into this list.  About a group of WW I POWs who plan and execute an escape from a German POW camp.  I have seen many examples of the reverence paid to fallen warriors of the opposite side in many films like this so it must have happened.  The romantic notions of war must have run strong at the time and it is heart warming although misguided as war was changing to stark filth desiccation and disease.   

Flip flopping from French to German with English thrown into the mix, a polyglot word feast.  Its utterly fascinating and watchable even with the sub titles.

===================
6. Full Metal Jacket 11 pts

'Show me your warface.'

Directing and script by Kubrick.  Fantastic cast yet Kubrick would cast unknown actors and in this one he plucked Matthew Modine as the lead and brilliantly cast Vincent D'Onofrio as troubled pvt. Pyle and we all know the brilliance of R. Lee Ermey as the fanatical DI.  No one would confuse them with A-listers.   

Kubrick was a certified genius who did an absolutely sick amount of research so he deservedly gets a lot of credit but Ermey basically forced Kubrick to change the movie to focus the beginning around  the dynamic around Ermey and D'Onofrio.  One interaction that stands out is D'Onofrio as Pyle being forced to eat a jelly donut which sets into motion a series of events that end in tragedy.

The switch to Nam is jarring but doesn't have the same punch since the primary fighting scene is city fighting which is reminiscent of WW II flicks.  It was a staged set from where Stanley was living at the time, England.  Modine is the main character and the journey that Kubrick takes us on is riveting as we wade into an immense amount of gun fire as we witness the makings of the 1,000 yard stare. 

5.  Ran 12 pts

Considered one of the greatest films ever made, a true epic and the most expensive movie ever made in Japan at the time.  Ran is the Japanese name of chaos or turmoil.  From another legendary director Akira Kurosawa.  Beethoven was nearly deaf as he composed late in his conducting career and the last ten years of directing Kurosawa was nearly blind.  He had made extensive sketches of his beautifully colored shots long before shooting.  He conceived the idea for Ran in the early 70s, the film was made in 1985.

I can't begin to explain how incredible each and every shot is from this movie.  The framing, the lighting, the color schemes, the coordinated movements, high shots, low shots, deep focus, zoom, early morning light catching rays off of the top of high colored foliage over sweeping fields with colored flags in movement in the background.  Late evening light showing troops in movement in a different direction.  Shots above a map showing troop movements with non-scale real action, and then how Akira moves the camera through staged sets like going through a painting.  Speaking of painting, Kurosawa had an entire field painted gold for a shot but cut it out.  Add, I have to mention the COSTUMES!  My god I'm speechless.   Its staggering how he had mastered his craft by this point.  The only thing that doesn't hold up well are some of the long zoom shots as a few are too distorted by heat waves and dust.

The actors do a fine job but make no mistake Akira Kurosawa dominates the movie with his genius creating pure pageantry.  In addition to his work as director Akira also wrote the script which is a Japanese 'version' of King Lear with a feudal warlord splitting his fiefdom among his three children while 'trying' to still maintain control.  The lord takes three arrows and holds them together showing the combined strength but notes a single arrow is easier to break, one son takes all three arrows and breaks them across his knee setting in motion the carnage to follow.   Some felt the warlord was based off of Kurosawa.

4.  Platoon 13 pts

'All right you cheese-#####, welcome to the Nam.'

Oliver Stone enlisted and volunteered for combat duty.  He wrote the script and had the internal dialogue pitch perfect.  Incredible cast starring Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe, Tom Berenger, David Keith, John C. Mginley, when Forrest Whitaker and Johnny Depp are extras you know this is an incredible cast.  

The scenes are heart wrenching, the flaming of the village, the night patrol, Dafoe running wild in the jungle, the epic fire fight, its chalk full of incredible scenes.  Powerful imagery, perfect dialogue, hitting the right emotional chords. 

Stone made the best fighting scenes of the Vietnam War but his sanity was questioned on the set as he ranted and raved to the point Depp said he was on the verge of vomiting as Oliver screamed at him and made him do another take.  PTSD?  He filmed at a fast paced as this was shot in only 54 days.  Ranks #83 on AFI's top-100 movies of all-time.  Very watchable and a must see for those who haven't gotten around to seeing it.

3.  From Here to Eternity 14 pts

The first of two movies directed by Fred Zinnerman on the list.  Excellent director.  The film won 8 Academy Awards of 13 noms.

The cast is star studded and they brought the goods in this one, Burt Lancaster, Monty Clift, Frank Sinatra, Deborah Kerr, Ernest Borgnine, and Donna Reed.  I don't know where to start but Monty Clift is just so good in everything he does.  Burt Lancaster was my favorite actor growing up and he is great.  Bognine was filming Marty and doing this at the same time.  Sinatra had his best performance ever in this movie.  The rumor is that he got the part due to his mafia connections and that story was the basis of Johnny Fontaine in the Godfather.

The backgdrop of Pearl Harbor with so many memorable scenes but the 'epic' is the beach scene with Lancaster and Kerr.  On-screen chemistry was rumored to continue off-screen between Kerr and Lancaster.  The knife fight with Maggio and Fatso.  The army refused to allow any on-screen abuse by the sadistic Fatso to be shone so all the abuse was implied off-screen.   It was acting as Borgnine and Sinatra became life long friends afterwards.  About the only sour note in the movie is the bad trumpet playing scene by Clift which is completely forgivable.   

An all-time classic.

2.  All Quiet on the Western Front 15 pts

“He fell in October 1918, on a day that was so quiet and still on the whole front, that the army report confined itself to the single sentence: All quiet on the Western Front.”
― Erich Maria Remarque, All Quiet on the Western Front

My favorite book.  I love every version of this that I've seen including the TV adaptation with Ernest Borgnine and Richard Thomas (JohnBoy Walton).  The script was written by Erich Maria Remarque and it is excellent as it follows the book to the T.  Ranked as the 7th best American film epic of all-time in 1990.  It still holds up after 90 years. 

Lew Ayers played the lead Paul Bäumer a German soldier during WW I and his gang of comrades.  In real life Remarque was a French soldier who fought at the front and the scene of the German and French soldier in the crater of no-man's land was based on real life events.  The characters are so well crafted they had to be based on real soldiers IMHO.  The film brings the battles to life but this movie is about the camaraderie of men surviving.  The horrors they face, the hopelessness, the terror, it is one of the best movies of all-time and I think its the best anti-war movie ever. 

1.  The Best Years Of Our Lives 16 pts

Directed by William Wyler.  Where Kurosawa was going blind Wyler was going deaf and had an interpreter to give instructions to actors.  Starring Fredrich March, Myrna Loy, Dana Andrews, and Harold Russel as Homer Parrish.  

Robert Sherwood wrote a brilliant script.  So many memorable scenes.  The homecoming scene is so touching, brings you to the brink of tears.  The shocking scene where Homer removes his prosthetic arms and shows his vulnerability to his fiance is one of the most memorable scenes in the history of film.  Then the scene of Andrews at the air field hits you in the chest.  

I don't even know how to explain how fantastic this movie is but it is without a doubt the best of the genre OTHER WAR.

Especially @TheWinz who put his out first and took the most heat just for that reason. I hope he comes back at some point, I liked that guy. 
❤️

Abso-#######-lootly! 

Judging ain't easy. 

Quality ain't always clear & objective. 

And, the Winz cared. 

I most value care. 

Edit: by care, I mean that I felt his judgment method was sound. 

Last edited by a moderator:
***GOAT ACTION RANKINGS!!!***

48 Hrs. – 1 Point
Andy – 2. Comedy first, action second. More comedy than Beverly Hills Cop
Karma - 2
EY – 2. There just wasn’t much action here. A couple of guys got their ### kicked but the buddy cop films don’t stack up well against true action movies.

Lethal Weapon – 2 Points
Andy – 3. Action consists of mostly hand to hand slapping. 
Karma - 1
EY – 4. Can we acknowledge how good of an actor Mel Gibson is? Even in a buddy cop movie he brings some serious acting chops. And how about that final no holds barred fight against a young svelte Gary Busy? So fun.

Beverly Hills Cop – 3 Points
Andy – 1. Comedy first, action second. More comedy than action.
Karma - 6
EY – 1. Short on action. Very short on action. Not as funny as Lethal Weapon either.

The Fugitive – 4 Points
Andy – 4. For action this movie is the (not A) trainwreck. 
Karma - 5
EY – 3. Other than a train crash, a thrilling foot chase and a fist fight between middle-aged men, there wasn’t much action. Very good movie though, and Tommy Lee Jones was great in every scene.

First Blood – 5 Points
Andy – 7. Interesting premise, action is mostly run and shoot.
Karma - 3
EY – 8. First Blood and Commando are my favorites of the 80’s. John Rambo is the toughest MFer that ever MFer’ed. Blowing stuff up never looked so fun. Oh yeah, and we should take better care of our veterans.

Avengers: Endgame – 6 Points
Andy – 9. Endgame - Should have taken Infinity War instead.
Karma - 4
EY – 5. I love all the Marvel hero mashups, especially Thor. But I agree with Andy, for action, Infinity War would be a better pick.

The Bourne Identity – 7 Points
Andy – 6.  Good car chase, not much else.
Karma - 9
EY – 7. Another good selection where the good guy does it all. I don’t love the shaky camera, close angle, quick cut shots during the action sequences though. It makes it hard to follow who’s hitting who when guys wear the same color.

Predator – 8 Points
Andy – 10. Love it, but it's more cat and mouse than action.
Karma - 7
EY – 6. I love Arnold’s movies in the 80’s; but I rooted for the Predator in this movie. Andy’s right, this one is more cat & mouse than full on action.

Casino Royale – 9 Points
Andy – 5. Rescued the Bond franchise, that's for sure.
Karma - 13
EY – 11. A solid, well-balanced and well-paced action flick. Daniel Craig answered any questions whether he’d be a good fit as 007.

Kill Bill vol. 1 – 10 Points
Andy – 12. Possibly Tarantino's best.
Karma - 8
EY – 10. A bit too cartoonish for me and I don’t really buy Thurman and Lucy Liu as legit fighters or swordspersons. Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi could teach them a thing or two.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon – 11 Points
Andy – 8. Accessible asian cinema. Good story. 
Karma - 11
EY – 14. I forgot how perfect Zhang Ziyi is. :wub: I’m not a big fan of wire-work but that’s my only gripe for one of the greatest martial arts films of all time.

The Raid: Redemption – 12 Points
Andy – 11. Do you like mayhem? Here's your mayhem.
Karma - 14
EY – 9. The main guy is made of steel. He dealt and absorbed enough damage to kill a thousand men. There isn’t a movie with better close-quarters combat choreo in this draft.

Speed – 13 Points
Andy – 13. Often copied, not often duplicated.
Karma - 12
EY – 13. A very cool and original premise. Keanu and Bullock were pretty great together.

Mad Max: Fury Road – 14 Points
Andy – 14. Yeah. Action back to front. I guess. 
Karma - 10
EY – 15. Wall to wall action, and tons of crazy surreal visuals. My only criticism is that some action sequences were too long and some of the non-action lulls were also too long. It needed to mix things up a little better to help with pacing.

Die Hard – 15 Points
Andy – 15. Merry Christmas! Ho...ho....ho.
Karma - 15
EY – 12. Not a Christmas movie. I love the underdog story and humor. It had great pace and iconic performances by Willis and Rickman.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day – 16 Points
Andy – 16. Not even a question.
Karma - 16
EY – 16. T2 has it all, characters you care about and cheer for, the coolest villain of the decade, memorable menacing music and a heavy dose of bullets and explosions.

Lethal Weapon – 2 Points
Karma - 1
EY – 4. Can we acknowledge how good of an actor Mel Gibson is? Even in a buddy cop movie he brings some serious acting chops. And how about that final no holds barred fight against a young svelte Gary Busy? So fun.
... I think I'm just totally out of phase with a lot of you guys on this kind of stuff. Woulda thought this and Predator would have been easy Top 5s.

... I think I'm just totally out of phase with a lot of you guys on this kind of stuff. Woulda thought this and Predator would have been easy Top 5s.
I guess I don't get it either..  Speed is a great movie but the majority of the movie is riding in a bus.  There are some unrealistic action sequences (jumping a missing freeway) but i didn't think it had a lot more "action" than the movies in the bottom third to have that big of a disparity in points.

I guess I don't get it either..  Speed is a great movie but the majority of the movie is riding in a bus.  There are some unrealistic action sequences (jumping a missing freeway) but i didn't think it had a lot more "action" than the movies in the bottom third to have that big of a disparity in points.
Based on how they ranked everything I kind of get where they are going (and thought they did a good job) - Speed does stand out but maybe they consider the bus "action"

***GOAT ACTION RANKINGS!!!***

48 Hrs. – 1 Point
Andy – 2. Comedy first, action second. More comedy than Beverly Hills Cop
Karma - 2
EY – 2. There just wasn’t much action here. A couple of guys got their ### kicked but the buddy cop films don’t stack up well against true action movies.

Lethal Weapon – 2 Points
Karma - 1

Beverly Hills Cop – 3 Points
Andy – 1. Comedy first, action second. More comedy than action.
Karma - 6
EY – 1. Short on action. Very short on action. Not as funny as Lethal Weapon either.

The Fugitive – 4 Points
Andy – 4. For action this movie is the (not A) trainwreck. 
Karma - 5
EY – 3. Other than a train crash, a thrilling foot chase and a fist fight between middle-aged men, there wasn’t much action. Very good movie though, and Tommy Lee Jones was great in every scene.

First Blood – 5 Points
Andy – 7. Interesting premise, action is mostly run and shoot.
Karma - 3
EY – 8. First Blood and Commando are my favorites of the 80’s. John Rambo is the toughest MFer that ever MFer’ed. Blowing stuff up never looked so fun. Oh yeah, and we should take better care of our veterans.

Avengers: Endgame – 6 Points
Andy – 9. Endgame - Should have taken Infinity War instead.
Karma - 4
EY – 5. I love all the Marvel hero mashups, especially Thor. But I agree with Andy, for action, Infinity War would be a better pick.

The Bourne Identity – 7 Points
Andy – 6.  Good car chase, not much else.
Karma - 9
EY – 7. Another good selection where the good guy does it all. I don’t love the shaky camera, close angle, quick cut shots during the action sequences though. It makes it hard to follow who’s hitting who when guys wear the same color.

Predator – 8 Points
Andy – 10. Love it, but it's more cat and mouse than action.
Karma - 7
EY – 6. I love Arnold’s movies in the 80’s; but I rooted for the Predator in this movie. Andy’s right, this one is more cat & mouse than full on action.

Casino Royale – 9 Points
Andy – 5. Rescued the Bond franchise, that's for sure.
Karma - 13
EY – 11. A solid, well-balanced and well-paced action flick. Daniel Craig answered any questions whether he’d be a good fit as 007.

Kill Bill vol. 1 – 10 Points
Andy – 12. Possibly Tarantino's best.
Karma - 8
EY – 10. A bit too cartoonish for me and I don’t really buy Thurman and Lucy Liu as legit fighters or swordspersons. Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi could teach them a thing or two.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon – 11 Points
Andy – 8. Accessible asian cinema. Good story. 
Karma - 11
EY – 14. I forgot how perfect Zhang Ziyi is. :wub: I’m not a big fan of wire-work but that’s my only gripe for one of the greatest martial arts films of all time.

The Raid: Redemption – 12 Points
Andy – 11. Do you like mayhem? Here's your mayhem.
Karma - 14
EY – 9. The main guy is made of steel. He dealt and absorbed enough damage to kill a thousand men. There isn’t a movie with better close-quarters combat choreo in this draft.

Speed – 13 Points
Andy – 13. Often copied, not often duplicated.
Karma - 12
EY – 13. A very cool and original premise. Keanu and Bullock were pretty great together.

Mad Max: Fury Road – 14 Points
Andy – 14. Yeah. Action back to front. I guess. 
Karma - 10
EY – 15. Wall to wall action, and tons of crazy surreal visuals. My only criticism is that some action sequences were too long and some of the non-action lulls were also too long. It needed to mix things up a little better to help with pacing.

Die Hard – 15 Points
Andy – 15. Merry Christmas! Ho...ho....ho.
Karma - 15
EY – 12. Not a Christmas movie. I love the underdog story and humor. It had great pace and iconic performances by Willis and Rickman.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day – 16 Points
Andy – 16. Not even a question.
Karma - 16
EY – 16. T2 has it all, characters you care about and cheer for, the coolest villain of the decade, memorable menacing music and a heavy dose of bullets and explosions.
Andy’s outlier vote killed me on this one.

What I thought was interesting when I saw the 3 scores was :

• all 3 of us had Lethal Weapon low, and I even made a comment along the lines of that score probably being the debated pick of the bunch. 
  • despite saying that he didn't get it, AD still gave Fury Road a 14.  
  • we we in agreement on a lot of the placement, and it seemed at least the rough tiers.  Seems like the the biggest disagreement with us was Casino Royale, and I guess I like Beverly Hills Cop a bit more.  

I can only speak for myself if people have questions, but I would say that the recent watch of Lethal Weapon for the movie club was not a fun experience for me. I thought it was merely Ok and Gibson wore on me by the time the movie was done.  Like I said - I rated them for action and enjoyment of said action and then once again for my desire to watch the movie right now.  LW scored low for both.  This method was probably some of the difference in the scores for me vs. them as well.  Fury Road scored 4th in the action, and dead last in the other rank.   For me, movies like Fugitive, 48 Hours, and Casino Royale seemed to benefit most from 30% portion of it the ratings, as they were at the top of the list.   When I saw my final rankings, I figured that Lethal Weapon would average out a little with their rankings.  

Standings after 19 categories completed (38%)

1. Dr. Octopus--197
  2. ilov80s--194
  3. higgins--189
  4. triplemania--181
  5. Andy Dufresne--177
  6. timschochet--172
  7. Karma Police--170
  8. joffer--162
  9. EYLive--154
  10. Gally Steiner--153
  11. TheWinz--151
  12. Doug B--147
  13. jwb--143
  14. Mrs. Rannous--134
  15. mphtrilogy--131
  16. tuffnutt--131

Standings after 19 categories completed (38%)

1. Dr. Octopus--197
  2. ilov80s--194
  3. higgins--189
  4. triplemania--181
  5. Andy Dufresne--177
  6. timschochet--172
  7. Karma Police--170
  8. joffer--162
  9. EYLive--154
  10. Gally Steiner--153
  11. TheWinz--151
  12. Doug B--147
  13. jwb--143
  14. Mrs. Rannous--134
  15. mphtrilogy--131
  16. tuffnutt--131
I need to look at what 2010 movie is the doc's so I know what my 1pt movie is.  ;)

Just kidding!!

Andy’s outlier vote killed me on this one.
Yeah, I was probably was too harsh with that ranking. The parkour chase at the beginning is awesome. But the other two shootouts (in stairwells/buildings) were similar to each other, and to the parkour scene, so I dinged it on redundancy. Casino Royale is a really good movie though.

Ultimately, I think it ended up right where it deserved to be in the combined rankings.

And was someone saying something about Zzzzzz...odiac again?

Yeah, I was probably was too harsh with that ranking. The parkour chase at the beginning is awesome. But the other two shootouts (in stairwells/buildings) were similar to each other, and to the parkour scene, so I dinged it on redundancy. Casino Royale is a really good movie though.

Ultimately, I think it ended up right where it deserved to be in the combined rankings.

And was someone saying something about Zzzzzz...odiac again?
I think someone was saying one of your 2pt movies was a masterpiece.  

I thought the category of War was about movies that depicted war. The winner of the category was about post-war effects, another was a romance that just happened to occur during war time. :shrug:

Edit: That's not to say that both those examples aren't great movies. They are. And I didn't expect BHD to be #1 but it is the best depiction of actual combat (or at least how I imagine it) I've seen.

I thought the category of War was about movies that depicted war. The winner of the category was about post-war effects, another was a romance that just happened to occur during war time. :shrug:
The judging has been massively inconsistent as to how to judge movies in relation to the “category” but with no parameters in place to start out with this was bound to happen.

Some judges scored movies really high despite the fact that they stated said movie(s) clearly didn’t fit the category. Some judges penalized great movies for not being 100% on point.

Whatcha gonna do?

Overall I think the judging has been well done 👍.

I thought The Best Years of Our Lives was a risky pick for war movie- maybe fit better for WW2 category. But ultimately, the impact war has on soldiers and the home front is still part of a war story IMO. I assume From Here to Eternity is the one you refer to as a romance. It has romantic plot points, but it's set at a military base and has all the plot points one would expect in that kind of movie: an abusive captain, feuding soldiers and the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Neither are pure life on the battlefield movies like All Quiet on the Western Front but I think of both as movies about soldier which aligns with the category. 

I thought The Best Years of Our Lives was a risky pick for war movie- maybe fit better for WW2 category. But ultimately, the impact war has on soldiers and the home front is still part of a war story IMO. I assume From Here to Eternity is the one you refer to as a romance. It has romantic plot points, but it's set at a military base and has all the plot points one would expect in that kind of movie: an abusive captain, feuding soldiers and the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Neither are pure life on the battlefield movies like All Quiet on the Western Front but I think of both as movies about soldier which aligns with the category. 
I was going to take Best Years but put it in the 40's category, as I thought it was both a perfect snapshot of what was going on in the moment, as well as a look forward into what the next decade was going to bring.

I was going to take Best Years but put it in the 40's category, as I thought it was both a perfect snapshot of what was going on in the moment, as well as a look forward into what the next decade was going to bring.
I watched this again recently and was reminded about how well done it truly is.

Like any classic film it seems to lose almost nothing with age.

Edit: That's not to say that both those examples aren't great movies. They are. And I didn't expect BHD to be #1 but it is the best depiction of actual combat (or at least how I imagine it) I've seen.
The category was Genre - War - Other which could be interpreted in many ways so I didn't award points for hitting a large target.

The category wasn't best depiction of combat, for that I would go 'The Story Of GI Joe' or 'We Were Soldiers' or from the list 'Hamburger Hill'.   BHD is more of an action movie set during combat.  It gets high marks from vets but that 'conflict' wasn't close to being an equal engagement.  The kill ratio reads like a bad 50s Cowboy/Indian B-Movie. 

I gave it high marks for what it is, an entertaining action movie directed by Ridely Scott who does action really-well.  The budget was by-far the highest of any on the list over $110 million and it earned 2 Academy Awards for high production film categories which I noted and that it deserves praise for.  

I gave it a good rating because its good and entertaining.  

The category was Genre - War - Other which could be interpreted in many ways so I didn't award points for hitting a large target.

The category wasn't best depiction of combat, for that I would go 'The Story Of GI Joe' or 'We Were Soldiers' or from the list 'Hamburger Hill'.   BHD is more of an action movie set during combat.  It gets high marks from vets but that 'conflict' wasn't close to being an equal engagement.  The kill ratio reads like a bad 50s Cowboy/Indian B-Movie. 

I gave it high marks for what it is, an entertaining action movie directed by Ridely Scott who does action really-well.  The budget was by-far the highest of any on the list over $110 million and it earned 2 Academy Awards for high production film categories which I noted and that it deserves praise for.  

I gave it a good rating because its good and entertaining.  
More than fair points.

Triplemania current rankings (since I know everybody has been dying to know!)

Round - Pick - Score - Value

• 9 - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Western - 15 - (1)
  • 12 - City Lights - 1930's - 15 - (1)
  • 13 - Indiana Jones - Hero - 16 - (2)
  • 15 - Jennifer Lawrence - Modern Movie Star - 10 - (-5)
  • 18 - The African Queen - 1950's - 14 - (2)
  • 21 - Mrs. Robinson - Song - 11 - (-1)
  • 23 - From Here to Eternity - War - Other - 14 - (4)
  • 26 - Slumdog Millionaire - Teen - 12 - (5)
  • 30 - The Wicked Witch of the West - Villain - 13 - (4)
  • 31 - Angela Lansbury - Supporting Actress - 2 - (-10)
  • 33 - The Pianist - Based on Real Events - 10 - (4)
  • 37 - Rob Reiner - Modern Director - 6 - (-1)
  • 39 - Kill Bill vol. 1 - Action - 10 - (8)
  • 40 - John Huston - Legendary Director - 5 - (2)
  • 43 - Doris Day - Legendary Star (F) - 6 - (2)
  • 44 - Matilda - Children's - 8 - (4)
  • 48 - Z - Political - 10 - (9)
  • 49 - Shirley MacLaine - Leading Actress - 1 - (0)
  • 50 - Frank Sinatra - Legendary Star (M) - 3 - (2)
Score - 181

Value - +33

Triplemania current rankings (since I know everybody has been dying to know!)

Round - Pick - Score - Value

• 9 - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Western - 15 - (1)
  • 12 - City Lights - 1930's - 15 - (1)
  • 13 - Indiana Jones - Hero - 16 - (2)
  • 15 - Jennifer Lawrence - Modern Movie Star - 10 - (-5)
  • 18 - The African Queen - 1950's - 14 - (2)
  • 21 - Mrs. Robinson - Song - 11 - (-1)
  • 23 - From Here to Eternity - War - Other - 14 - (4)
  • 26 - Slumdog Millionaire - Teen - 12 - (5)
  • 30 - The Wicked Witch of the West - Villain - 13 - (4)
  • 31 - Angela Lansbury - Supporting Actress - 2 - (-10)
  • 33 - The Pianist - Based on Real Events - 10 - (4)
  • 37 - Rob Reiner - Modern Director - 6 - (-1)
  • 39 - Kill Bill vol. 1 - Action - 10 - (8)
  • 40 - John Huston - Legendary Director - 5 - (2)
  • 43 - Doris Day - Legendary Star (F) - 6 - (2)
  • 44 - Matilda - Children's - 8 - (4)
  • 48 - Z - Political - 10 - (9)
  • 49 - Shirley MacLaine - Leading Actress - 1 - (0)
  • 50 - Frank Sinatra - Legendary Star (M) - 3 - (2)
Score - 181

Value - +33
Thought about doing something like this.  I assume you are basing value off where you picked them vs. their finish.  Ie Sierra Madre was the 3rd one taken, but got a 2nd place score?

Going through mine was interesting.  I honestly forgot where I took some of the selections as far as how many were picked in the category before I drafted.  

I will recheck my math, but looks like I am only +5 on my selections for value.  

Going through mine was interesting.  I honestly forgot where I took some of the selections as far as how many were picked in the category before I drafted.  

I will recheck my math, but looks like I am only +5 on my selections for value.  
After doing the Sports one I realized that it seems like the goal should be to hold serve first 1/3, try and gain some value middle rounds and then hope you hit on some value late.  That’s why 80’s is doing so well - he’s had like 3-4 late-ish that I think were 8-10 points each.  That’s huge.

The topic of 4k was brought up before. For Kubrick and Hitchcock fans, there are a couple exciting releases coming up with "Best Of" sets - 3 for Kubrick and 4 for Hitchcock.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Kubrick-3-Film-4K-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B08DPT6ZDR?tag=bluray-034-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Includes The Shining, 2001, and FMJ. Each are/will be available separately too.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Alfred-Hitchcock-Classics-Collection-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B08CPLM17C?tag=bluray-034-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Includes Rear Window, Vertigo, The Birds, and Psycho. This one will be difficult for me to not purchase (although I don't care for The Birds).

So I am exactly even after 20 scores.  In order of best to worst, but I didn't go through what round I drafted all these in.  It looks like I have about 12 of my first 20 picks left to be graded.  

+8 - The Muppet Movie

+7 - The Raid:  Redemption

+6 - Heathers

+4 - Wolverine

+3 =  Paths of Glory and Anton Chigurh

+1 = M, PTA, Meg Ryan

Even =  The Searchers, Brigette Bardot, and Kubrick

-1 =  James Dean, Sissy Spacek, and Tomei

-4 = Full Metal Jacket

- 5 = Fight the Power, The Iron Giant

-8 = Zodiac

-9 = Manchurian Candidate.  

So I guess I have to thank @Bracie Smathers for giving me -13 expected points.  ;)  

The judging has been massively inconsistent as to how to judge movies in relation to the “category” but with no parameters in place to start out with this was bound to happen.

Some judges scored movies really high despite the fact that they stated said movie(s) clearly didn’t fit the category. Some judges penalized great movies for not being 100% on point.

Whatcha gonna do?

Overall I think the judging has been well done 👍.
I think this is painfully accurate as to why people are fairly unhappy with the scoring.  Looking back at how this played out a more structured judging criteria would have helped everyone out with regatds to expectations going into this draft.  Unlike the sports draft (where there really isn't much interpretation if a player was a hockey goalie) there is a vast canyon between the judges category to category and the participants expectations.  Having a bit more structure up front would have made it easier on both sides. 

The inconsistency of one category really tanking if it didn't meet the judges genre expectations and another category that didn't really care as long as it was a good movie is the hard to digest part.

My biggest hits so far have been Thelma Ritter (+8), Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (+8), Stayin Alive (+8) Clueless (+14). My only 2 negatives were Being There (-4) and Cameron Diaz(-6). I believe my net score is +56. 

My biggest hits so far have been Thelma Ritter (+8), Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (+8), Stayin Alive (+8) Clueless (+14). My only 2 negatives were Being There (-4) and Cameron Diaz(-6). I believe my net score is +56. 
Yeah, that's some awesome drafting and value.  

I think this is painfully accurate as to why people are fairly unhappy with the scoring.  Looking back at how this played out a more structured judging criteria would have helped everyone out with regatds to expectations going into this draft.  Unlike the sports draft (where there really isn't much interpretation if a player was a hockey goalie) there is a vast canyon between the judges category to category and the participants expectations.  Having a bit more structure up front would have made it easier on both sides. 

The inconsistency of one category really tanking if it didn't meet the judges genre expectations and another category that didn't really care as long as it was a good movie is the hard to digest part.
As a judge only, I agree with some structured criteria from the outset would have limited some griping.

For example, I asked about writer-directors during scoring and the majority view seemed to be to focus on directing only (or just a bump within directing tier); so, I gave priority to directing in my judging with smaller nods for writing. I had Wilder and Chaplin higher in my preliminary rankings, but then moved them down in light of that discussion. So, that led to a five tool Hall of Famer like Chaplin and the greatest writer of all-time in Wilder being lower than their pickers may have expected. 

Those all sound about right except for Clueless. I have no idea why it was so high.

I also really need to figure out who Thelma Ritter is.  

Those all sound about right except for Clueless. I have no idea why it was so high.

I also really need to figure out who Thelma Ritter is.  
I don't think Clueless is too far off, it's a classic at this point. The Ringer ranked their top 25 teen/high school movies and it came out #1. If you have seen Rear Window or All About Eve, you have seen Ritter. You can't miss her New York accent. 

I don't think Clueless is too far off, it's a classic at this point. The Ringer ranked their top 25 teen/high school movies and it came out #1. If you have seen Rear Window or All About Eve, you have seen Ritter. You can't miss her New York accent. 
I don't think it's bad, it was entertaining. But IMO it's in a category with a large number of better choices.

OK, I'll keep an eye out for Ritter. She's probably one of those "Oh, her, ...of course!".

I don't think it's bad, it was entertaining. But IMO it's in a category with a large number of better choices.

OK, I'll keep an eye out for Ritter. She's probably one of those "Oh, her, ...of course!".
I was a in middle school when I saw it so was very much of my time and a movie I basically grew up with. I think every girlfriend I have ever had loved that movie so I've seen it a ton. When I saw the category, my first thoughts were Fast Times, Dazed, Clueless and American Graffiti. However, I really liked Lady Bird and figured I could just take that near the end of the draft. I really didn't expect Clueless to fall all the way to the end of the draft. 

Few thoughts:

1. I think the judging and write-ups have been great.  Having judged a category I can tell you it’s not easy and it seems like everyone has given it thought and had some level of reasoning for their list.  Awesome job all around, IMO.

2. One thing I absolutely did AFTER I had my judging list was to look at outliers - those that had huge swings relative to draft position.  I wanted to make sure I wasn’t being positively or negatively swayed too much by my own tastes.

3. If I see something drafted in the last 3 and it gets a top 3 spot (3 being arbitrary - could be 4 or 5)  then it immediately gets my spidey senses up.  There’s a reason 12-13 people passed on the opportunity to draft it.  To me those are more concerning than the other way around - it only takes one person to take a “bad” movie too high but it takes most of the drafters to let a “good” movie get drafted late.  I like to try and figure out why that is. 

10. Sandlot  (7 pts.)

You're killing me, Smalls!

Another one I had not watched but always wanted to.  Definitely brought back some fantastic memories of playing ball with the kids in my neighborhood but I was surprised that was really it.  It got to about 15 minutes left in the movie and I realized....ok, the whole story is going to be about them playing ball, losing a ball and retrieving a ball - kind of disappointed me as I expected more.
You are super duper dead to me. 

I was a in middle school when I saw it so was very much of my time and a movie I basically grew up with. I think every girlfriend I have ever had loved that movie so I've seen it a ton. When I saw the category, my first thoughts were Fast Times, Dazed, Clueless and American Graffiti. However, I really liked Lady Bird and figured I could just take that near the end of the draft. I really didn't expect Clueless to fall all the way to the end of the draft. 
Good thing you waited and didn't take Fast Times then.  

Few thoughts:

1. I think the judging and write-ups have been great.  Having judged a category I can tell you it’s not easy and it seems like everyone has given it thought and had some level of reasoning for their list.  Awesome job all around, IMO.

2. One thing I absolutely did AFTER I had my judging list was to look at outliers - those that had huge swings relative to draft position.  I wanted to make sure I wasn’t being positively or negatively swayed too much by my own tastes.

3. If I see something drafted in the last 3 and it gets a top 3 spot (3 being arbitrary - could be 4 or 5)  then it immediately gets my spidey senses up.  There’s a reason 12-13 people passed on the opportunity to draft it.  To me those are more concerning than the other way around - it only takes one person to take a “bad” movie too high but it takes most of the drafters to let a “good” movie go drafted late.  I like to try and figure out why that is. 
It is interesting to see what the big swings were and why - was it the movie or was it the judge that made it that way?  

Ie - The Muppet Movie.  Just one that wasn't on people's radar?  Did you end up clicking with it more that most judges might have?  

Users who are viewing this thread