What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Toppings for Pancakes? (1 Viewer)

I make my own syrup from birch trees on my property. It's not as sweet as maple, but I derive a great deal of self-satisfaction from starting my day with food that I grew myself.

I also tried making syrup from pine trees but I don't recommend that unless you like the taste of gin on your pancakes.

Peel, core, and slice 3-4 apples(gala or some other sweet apple, not tart).  Put some butter in a pan over low heat, and add the apples.  Cook over very low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring often.

Maple syrup. 
I prefer grade B on pancakes, but people who love syrup should just once taste a batch of Grade A Extra Fancy. My family has sugared trees for 200 yrs and its hard to know when a batch is gonna run that way but, when it does, the pan glistens like diamonds and the product is soooo pure it pings when it touches your teeth. especially when poured over a bowl of fresh-fallen snow (altho vanilla ice cream is a decent substitute), it's an incredible experience

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer grade B on pancakes, but people who love syrup should just once taste a batch of Grade A Extra Fancy. My family has sugared trees for 200 yrs and its hard to know when a batch is gonna run that way but, when it does, the pan glistens like diamonds and the product is soooo pure it pings when it touches your teeth. especially when poured over a bow of fresh-fallen snow (altho vanilla ice cream is a decent substitute), it's an incredible experience
Yep. 😍🤎

My uncle spoiled us while I was growing up. He owned a LOT of land, I forget how many acres but it was a lot, in northern lower peninsula Michigan (on lake Charlevoix). They made their own maple syrup and would give us a bottle or two every Christmas.  Nothing else tastes quite that good. 

Big fan of the Lemon Sugar Dutch Baby pancake, but not sure if most folks here have had Dutch pancakes. If not, you’re missing something terrific imo. 

Back in the late 1980s I was on a ski trip in Jackson Hole.  We went out for breakfast, the temperature was -25 below zero.  As we walked down the street was saw a line of people waiting to get into a restaurant.  We figured ANY PLACE that had a line two dozen deep in -25 below zero weather HAD to be worth it so we jumped in line and froze.  It was worth it.

If you understand the method of starting a batch of sour dough liquid yeast then you realize that once you have a starter batch it will last indefinitely.

The best pancakes I've ever had in my life were sourdough pancakes at Jedediah Smith's House of Sourdough in Jackson Hole Wyoming.  The batch of sourdough dates back over 100 years.  

Jedediah Smith used to trap in Jackson Hole and the original House of Sourdough was located downtown where Jed had his log cabin, as a matter of fact one portion of the wall from his cabin was encased in glass in a corner.  

Without a doubt the best pancakes in the world are the sourdough pancakes at Jedediah Smith's House of Sourdough.  

Unfortunately they had to move from that location to a 'stand' at the airport but they still have the same sourdough pancakes.

ORDER JEDEDIAH’S SOURDOUGH STARTER BY EMAIL TODAY!

Jedediah’s Sourdough Starter is a living organism that is over 100 years old. Its consistent flavor will continue to be as long as proper care is taken. Unlike instant dry starters that come from kits or those made with dairy products, Jedediah’s starter only uses natural fermentation.

I prefer grade B on pancakes, but people who love syrup should just once taste a batch of Grade A Extra Fancy. My family has sugared trees for 200 yrs and its hard to know when a batch is gonna run that way but, when it does, the pan glistens like diamonds and the product is soooo pure it pings when it touches your teeth. especially when poured over a bowl of fresh-fallen snow (altho vanilla ice cream is a decent substitute), it's an incredible experience
I just started tapping maples and in this Spring was year two.  I have silvers, no sugars, but the flavor is still awesome.  First batch this year we over-boilded a little and it's thick with crystals.  Debating boiling it down more and making sugar out of it, or is it too late?  2nd batch was perfect.  3rd batch was real light in color and has a bit of a nutty flavor, which I'm really liking too.  I have 5 more trees I can tap but need to work on my boiling system to handle more gallons first.  I either use a turkey fryer or go down the road to a buddy who has single stage log burning setup.  We've talked about building a multi-stage log burning system.   

Back to topic, 100% maple syrup, nothing else.  If I want fruit in it I add that to pancake mix.    

Big fan of the Lemon Sugar Dutch Baby pancake, but not sure if most folks here have had Dutch pancakes. If not, you’re missing something terrific imo. 
That's what is served at Linda's in Aruba. Lots of Dutch on that island. Weird, huh?

Blueberries (preferable in a great jam form where the berries are still intact), syrup, and butter. 

Don’t mess this up with any other crap!

I just started tapping maples and in this Spring was year two.  I have silvers, no sugars, but the flavor is still awesome.  First batch this year we over-boilded a little and it's thick with crystals.  Debating boiling it down more and making sugar out of it, or is it too late?  2nd batch was perfect.  3rd batch was real light in color and has a bit of a nutty flavor, which I'm really liking too.  I have 5 more trees I can tap but need to work on my boiling system to handle more gallons first.  I either use a turkey fryer or go down the road to a buddy who has single stage log burning setup.  We've talked about building a multi-stage log burning system.   

Back to topic, 100% maple syrup, nothing else.  If I want fruit in it I add that to pancake mix.    
always been just a spectator.  when i was little, we had a big ol' 6x12 evap pan, firepit, buckets. my earliest memory is tapping trees w my Uncle Merlin. my cousin took over 20some years ago and has a nice 2X6 3-chamber log-burning evaporator with a line in from his tanks. still likes a slowish cook, 8-10 gal/hr, does between 200-400 gals of product a season, has pre-orders for all of it. he wanted to put in reverse osmosis, but the state regs made it too expensive. every spring, i drive me 95yo Da up for the first coupla days of a run and he and cuz fuss & fidget, i enjoy the coffee, company and sapdawgs. he had all daughters and they all married flatlanders so he's got no one to turn it over to. says two more seasons (he'll be 70 then) and he's done. be the first time those trees aint been tapped since the War

I have made my own syrup concoction from hand-picked huckleberries (they're kind of like blueberries but smaller). But it's too sweet and too intense to use as a primary pancake absorption device. So, I'll fill the plate with a pool of maple syrup and then drizzle some of the homemade huckleberry stuff across the cakes.

Clinton St Baking Company, down the block from me, has lines of people 2hrs plus on weekends. Busloads full of Japanese visit regularly. Great home food spot, but the pancakes are like crack...pretty sure they actually sprinkle crack into the batter, or at least the maple/butter syrup they make. 

Butter/syrup.  If that ain't enough your pancakes suck

But never hurts to throw some sausage on there.

Or blueberries or cinnamon chips cooked inside.

It's gotta be real maple syrup. Not the store-bought kind, either. Go roadside farm stand or go home.

Also........ waffles > pancakes. :whistle:

i like waffles just as well, only theryre so much more fuss. only time its worth the trouble is during the holidays. as i've previously posted in the cooking thread, the best leftovers in the world come from taking your turkey stuffing/dressing and adding an egg & enough chicken broth to loosen it up enough to spoon it into your waffle iron. leftover turkey/mashies/gravy/cranberry/whatever atop a stuffing waffle is one of the best home meals you'll ever have. it even works w maple syrup

Clinton St Baking Company, down the block from me, has lines of people 2hrs plus on weekends. Busloads full of Japanese visit regularly. Great home food spot, but the pancakes are like crack...pretty sure they actually sprinkle crack into the batter, or at least the maple/butter syrup they make. 
But yeah...maple syrup and blueberries or bananas (baked in) 

Butter & pure maple syrup. Not opposed to mixing it up with different fruit compotes from time to time. Had a great coconut syrup once while in Hawaii. Delicious. 

Don't roast me for this(my wife just shakes her head when I do it), I put PB in between each pancake in the stack and drown in maple syrup.

i like waffles just as well, only theryre so much more fuss. only time its worth the trouble is during the holidays. as i've previously posted in the cooking thread, the best leftovers in the world come from taking your turkey stuffing/dressing and adding an egg & enough chicken broth to loosen it up enough to spoon it into your waffle iron. leftover turkey/mashies/gravy/cranberry/whatever atop a stuffing waffle is one of the best home meals you'll ever have. it even works w maple syrup
I lived off waffles one summer and I don't recall them being much trouble to make.

Lived with a bunch of stoner ski bums one summer and they had a waffle iron.  I was young/struggling and working landscaping and barely scraping by.

In the morning I'd make a few extra waffles and use that as bread to make PBnJ for lunch.   Waffles for breakfast and lunch.  

Batter was cheaper than buying loafs of bread so it was purely an economic decision.

When I first moved in that waffle iron was absolutely disgusting.  Took me hours of scouring to clean it.  By the time I was done the metal surface sparkled.  The stoner ski bums came down the next morning and were like:

'Wow dude, I never knew it wasn't black.'  

previously posted in the cooking thread, the best leftovers in the world come from taking your turkey stuffing/dressing and adding an egg & enough chicken broth to loosen it up enough to spoon it into your waffle iron. leftover turkey/mashies/gravy/cranberry/whatever atop a stuffing waffle is one of the best home meals you'll ever have. it even works w maple syrup
I've found the best use for leftovers from Thanksgiving is to take the leftover stuffing and press it into a casserole dish. 

Take leftover dry turkey/ham the leftover vegetables from the veggie tray everyone has and the leftover cubed cheese from the cheese tray and put them into the caserole dish lined with the leftover stuffing.  If you don't have enough leftovers then make extra stuffing or add extra veggies/cheese/turkey-ham.  Crack enough eggs into the dish to fill it and bake for an hour at 375.

Makes a delicious quiche.  If its not moist enough add a strained can of chopped tomatoes.  Its really good and gets rid of the leftovers before they dry out.

Butter or butter and syrup.

Also, can make pancakes as a take-along snack, e.g. hiking. For that I would use a nut butter or cream cheese and just roll them up and put them in a sandwich bag.

We always make batches & batches of pancakes or johnnycakes when we have em at home. Me ol Da uses the leftovers as his handbread, like a roti or tortilla - eats his baked beans with em or as his cold bite with hot soups. the sweetness actually makes them great compliments to my green chile stew

Users who are viewing this thread