What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Drew Sample TE, and Joe Burrow's new best friend (1 Viewer)

turkishkamel

Footballguy
2nd round pick in the 2019 draft had 7 catches on 9 targets, most of them coming after CJ Uzomah went down with an Achilles injury. Good blocker, good hands, high football IQ. Not gonna win many foot races, but he's got the size and hands to be productive.

Early draft reports said the Bengals reached when drafting him, but Bengals scouts loved his potential to be an every down TE.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/5/10/18531365/bengals-draft-2019-drew-sample-washington-huskies-football

If the Bengals are gonna continue to throw a lot this year, he could put up some nice numbers while growing with Burrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
He had good press through the (very odd) preseason. With Uzomah's injury already noted as season ending, there's definitely value in grabbing Sample. Burrow looks very impressive. I had him on 2 rosters but he didn't make final cuts... dang I hate having to pay for a guy I grabbed free. :(

Fantasy Football Week 3 Tight End Preview: There are still more tight end sleepers emerging

Excerpt:

My favorite deep sleeper currently is Drew Sample. Sample saw a 35% target share after C.J. Uzomah went out in Week 2. While that's not sustainable, more than 20% of Joe Burrow's passes have gone to tight ends in his first two starts. Sample was a second-round pick just last year and should be in line for a substantial target share and an intriguing red-zone role. I'm not ready to start him in anything but tight end premium leagues just yet, but I'd like to have him on my bench.

I found this camp report on Drew Sample, and it sounds like he made some serious strides from his rookie season:

Bengals Tight Ends A Sample Of Offensive Upgrades

Excerpt:

Sample, after missing the last seven games of his rookie year and playing in just one game for at least 30 percent of the snaps, has blown it up. Working with Joe Burrow, that rookie quarterback, he has shown nice yards after catch ability and he's going after linebackers in the run game.

Sample, the second-round pick in Taylor's first draft, had been heralded as the nation's best blocking tight end at Washington and that's why they took him. Now, everyone knows about his work ethic after he famously turned his Cincinnati garage into a gym this spring with workout partner and camp foe Sam Hubbard, the Bengals right end. Burrow, Hubbard's good college friend, later joined the fray in the summer.

"From year one to year two, there's typically a pretty big transition," says Casey, who went from solely a special teams player to an offensive regular for those run-crazed Texans teams that ended up denting the Bengals' top ten defense in two straight Wild Card Games.

Casey remembers Sample's first month. His first NFL snap in the din of Seattle came against an overall No. 1 pick in Jadeveon Clowney. In the game after that was the dangerous 49ers front. A few weeks later it was Calais Campbell, one of the sack kings.

But Casey believes Sample is "an upper echelon blocker," and those are winnable matchups. The first two weeks of camp have been more than encouraging.

"So far he's more explosive. He's more confident. He's more aggressive," Casey said. "That's what we saw when he drafted him."

Casey says the standard in his room is higher than last year, given that Taylor's system has been snuggled in place for a year. That has meant much to Sample, still 258 pounds but this year a sleeker and smarter 258.

"I feel more comfortable in the offense and so the goal is always to push the standard. I have a really high standard for myself," Sample said. "We have a really high standard for out room. We want to be the best and be the best in the run game and the pass game. Our room and Coach Casey, he's pushing us every day to really push ourselves in that aspect of the game."

He made a nice play the other day in 11-on-11. He beat a backer, made a seamless catch over the middle and burst for double-digit yards. He thinks he could have made that play last year if he got the ball.

"Just more opportunities this year," Sample said. "Maybe I wouldn't have read the defense the same way as I did last year because I just have that better feel for the offense. It's hard to say, but I think I can. I think I can make plays in the pass game. This year it's about doing it. That was just one example where I just did my job and he found me and we were able to make a big play out of it."

The Athletic's Paul Dehner writes "expectations are high to see a significant jump" from Bengals second-year TE Drew Sample.

Surprisingly, Sample was taken No. 52 overall in last year's draft after catching a total of 46 passes as a four-year college starter.  But Sample was widely viewed as the top blocking tight end in the 2019 class as a classic in-line "Y" tight end.  Sample ended up playing just 108 offensive snaps across nine games before landing on I.R. with an ankle injury.  With Tyler Eifert gone, the Bengals have high hopes for their tandem of C.J. Uzomah and Sample.  Uzomah figures to get more of the passing-game looks, which would translate to fantasy numbers, but Sample should play a much bigger role.  The Bengals led the league in 11 personnel -- 1 RB, 1 TE -- usage last season.

RELATED: 

C.J. Uzomah

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 8, 2020, 8:24 AM ET

MORE

Drew Sample caught 7-of-9 targets for 45 yards in the Bengals' Week 2 loss to the Browns. 

Sample was involved early, but six of his nine targets came after C.J. Uzomah appeared to suffer a torn Achilles' tendon with 8:53 remaining. That, of course, will create a big opportunity for the No. 52 overall pick of last year's draft after he caught just five passes in nine games before landing on injured reserve with an ankle injury. Sample had a nice 2019 Combine after catching all of 46 passes for the University of Washington. It's hard to see there being much upside here, but tonight's seven catches are certainly an attention grabber. The Bengals are going to have to focus on quick hitters because of their protection issues. Sample will be ranked in the TE22-26 range for Week 3 against Philadelphia. 

Sep 18, 2020, 12:40 AM ET

Drew Sample caught his only target in the Bengals Week 3 tie with the Eagles.

Sample exploded with seven catches on nine targets in Week 2 but that looks like a marriage after he saw just one target this week. Joe Burrow primarily targeted his receivers versus the Eagles with Tyler Boyd leading the way at 13 looks. Sample was drafted in the second round as a blocking tight end and that appears to be his role once again. He should only be started in the deepest of fantasy leagues next week.

Sep 27, 2020, 5:50 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread