What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where would you go tomorrow? (1 Viewer)

johnnycakes

Footballguy
I was supposed to go to Amsterdam to chill out for a week today.  I got to the airport only to be informed at the gate that there were travel restrictions in place for travel to the Netherlands and unless I was either a student or had relatives in the Netherlands, that I would not be allowed to board my flight.  I booked this trip back in January and have been looking forward to it.  Oh well.  The hotel was paid for (non-refundable deposit) so I'm trying to convince the hotel right now to give me credit for another week, say in late May next year.  

But I have all my stuff packed for a week's trip, now.  Haven't unpacked yet since I got home.  The question now becomes, can I go elsewhere for a week and have a blast?  To further complicate matters, I have 6,000 Euros in cash I was going to use on hookers & blow in Amsterdam.  So I guess it makes sense to look at another European Union country to go to so I could spend out of the 6,000 Euros instead of putting charges on my credit card.  

I'm about 95% convinced to book a trip to Dublin, Ireland for the week.  I don't see that they have any of the same travel restrictions that Amsterdam has.   What says the FFA?  I could book a flight using miles to go business class to Dublin tomorrow at 3pm.  Arriving in Dublin Sunday morning.    

I'm sure there are other places to be considered.... looking to avoid travel restrictions like what I encountered go to the Dam. If you wanted to leave tomorrow for a week, where would you choose?  Places like Chiang Mai, Thailand, are on my list but it would take too long to get there to make it worth a week.         

Edit:  traveling by myself on this one. The missus doesn't want to go.                                                                         

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably should have utilized the services of a travel agent. Yes, they still exist and yes, they would be aware of this type of stuff.

And to answer your question, I would go anywhere that you are allowed entry. I don't think it really matters. You'll find your own fun. 

We had a trip to Switzerland back in June canceled, rescheduled next year, and subsequently cancelled again. We thought about doing something else in Europe in 2021, but everything still seems sketchy. We have a $900 voucher for a travel company that we booked through for Switzerland so decided to go back to Alaska with them over Memorial Day for 7 days. Didn’t get a chance to go to Denali last time and we’re spending 2+ days next year there plus Valdez and a couple days again in Anchorage. We’re going to give Switzerland a try again in 2022.

Friends just got back from St. Lucia. All they needed was proof of a negative COVID test. They said it was great and maybe 25% of the normal capacity at their resort. 

Picture perfect weather out here in the Sedona, AZ area. If you hurry, you can catch me for a round of golf this weekend.

ETA: and it's AZ so, for better or worse, stuff is relatively open. 

Picture perfect weather out here in the Sedona, AZ area. If you hurry, you can catch me for a round of golf. this weekend.
One of my favorite places. Elote Cafe  :wub:  

Heading to the country outside of DC on Thursday. Cheap hotel rooms and a quick flight make it an easy long weekend. 

was just about to post about the quarantine as well

you are going to have to do a lot of research of each countries travel rules 
Any country with reasonable covid control will likely require Americans to quarantine.

I’d go somewhere outdoorsy in the US. Maybe Asheville, NC? Beautiful this time of year with nice weather.

Looks like Cancun is the winnah.  thanks for the suggestion...  i would never have thought of it.  Flight leaves at 0800 EDT tomorrow morning.  Still have to decide on a hotel but I'm leaning towards the Ritz Carlton Cancun.  
Excellent choice. Warmer water than HI, and much shorter flight.

Bunch of threads here about Cancun and Maya riviera...worth reading through.

We go to cozumel every year (wife is half mexican and grew up going there). Cheap and gorgeous water. Decent food too. Bit of a long day trip from Cancun proper, but worth a visit and maybe tie into an overnight in playa del carmen, do a tulum trip too.

Isla mujeres is a nice easy island trip straight from Cancun too.

Have fun!

And check if there any restrictions tonight to avoid another wasted trip to the airport 

Any country with reasonable covid control will likely require Americans to quarantine.

I’d go somewhere outdoorsy in the US. Maybe Asheville, NC? Beautiful this time of year with nice weather.
alot of countries are allowing American's in
you just have to do the research to see the rules 

i personally would try my best to avoid those countries  but i was in a resort last week that did . I tried to get out of the trip but the deal couldnt be moved . 
i did my best to social distance , wear masks when i could and wash my hands .

the resort was only 10-40% full during the week so i did feel ok the majority of my time

1/2 through my 14 day quarantine as i type this  

alot of countries are allowing American's in
you just have to do the research to see the rules 

i personally would try my best to avoid those countries  but i was in a resort last week that did . I tried to get out of the trip but the deal couldnt be moved . 
i did my best to social distance , wear masks when i could and wash my hands .

the resort was only 10-40% full during the week so i did feel ok the majority of my time

1/2 through my 14 day quarantine as i type this  

You’d try to avoid countries with covid under control? We may have different ideas about what constitutes an enjoyable vacation.

Sounds crazy but I want to take my kids to Disney World, spend two weeks and eat all the bad food I can.  Long lines would be fine, I’d just chat with people.  Sounds glorious

You’d try to avoid countries with covid under control? We may have different ideas about what constitutes an enjoyable vacation.

the 3 things im looking for in a place to travel to
1. low covid cases
2. the majority of the historical sites, museums and restaurants are open 
3. avoid countries that let Americans in (this is what i meant in the other post , sorry about the poor wording)+ the other countries that arent taking it seriously 

europe was on my radar but the cases are getting higher so its out right
the big issue as well is the 2 week quarantine when i return , i need to find a better and cheaper solution 

i got an incredible deal on the resort so the 2 weeks that im paying for on the ski hill this week made it ok on the pocket book
ill be all in about 2400 for 3 weeks 

the 3 things im looking for in a place to travel to
1. low covid cases
2. the majority of the historical sites, museums and restaurants are open 
3. avoid countries that let Americans in (this is what i meant in the other post , sorry about the poor wording)+ the other countries that arent taking it seriously 

europe was on my radar but the cases are getting higher so its out right
the big issue as well is the 2 week quarantine when i return , i need to find a better and cheaper solution 

i got an incredible deal on the resort so the 2 weeks that im paying for on the ski hill this week made it ok on the pocket book
ill be all in about 2400 for 3 weeks 

Got it. But I’m American, so not letting Americans in is kinda a nonstarter...

What ski hill?

Got it. But I’m American, so not letting Americans in is kinda a nonstarter...

What ski hill?
haha , thats the problem with the US too many Americans in it 

big white just outside Kelowna bc 

i picked this location for several reasons
off season , between hiking and skiing so not many people 
im allowed out for exercise so i can get some hiking in with very little risk in coming into contact with anyone 
close to airport so i could drive straight here  , only 5 1/2 hrs 

for you guys , with the states being so diverse in geography and landscape plus cheap flights i would take this opportunity to explore my own country 

i planned to explore the east coast of Canada in sept but those provinces  have a travel restriction in place from the start and haven't removed it . 

haha , thats the problem with the US too many Americans in it 

big white just outside Kelowna bc 

i picked this location for several reasons
off season , between hiking and skiing so not many people 
im allowed out for exercise so i can get some hiking in with very little risk in coming into contact with anyone 
close to airport so i could drive straight here  , only 5 1/2 hrs 

for you guys , with the states being so diverse in geography and landscape plus cheap flights i would take this opportunity to explore my own country 

i planned to explore the east coast of Canada in sept but those provinces  have a travel restriction in place from the start and haven't removed it . 
Yeah, I’d like to get outdoors, and even have a yearlong pass for our national parks my friend bought me in Jan. Unfortunately, everything is at least a 5 hour flight away. But the consolation is living in HI, so I’ll endure.

Sounds crazy but I want to take my kids to Disney World, spend two weeks and eat all the bad food I can.  Long lines would be fine, I’d just chat with people.  Sounds glorious
From what I hear lines are very short right now at Disney

Picture perfect weather out here in the Sedona, AZ area. If you hurry, you can catch me for a round of golf this weekend.

ETA: and it's AZ so, for better or worse, stuff is relatively open. 
Just got back from 5 days in Sedona for my wife and my 50th celebration. It was awesome. We went hiking everyday. Quite a bit different from hookers and blow in Amsterdam though. 

Just got back from 5 days in Sedona for my wife and my 50th celebration. It was awesome. We went hiking everyday. Quite a bit different from hookers and blow in Amsterdam though. 
Happy belated!

Or are you literally talking about having had 50 celebrations in AZ?

I was supposed to go to Amsterdam to chill out for a week today.  I got to the airport only to be informed at the gate that there were travel restrictions in place for travel to the Netherlands and unless I was either a student or had relatives in the Netherlands, that I would not be allowed to board my flight.  I booked this trip back in January and have been looking forward to it.  Oh well.  The hotel was paid for (non-refundable deposit) so I'm trying to convince the hotel right now to give me credit for another week, say in late May next year.  

But I have all my stuff packed for a week's trip, now.  Haven't unpacked yet since I got home.  The question now becomes, can I go elsewhere for a week and have a blast?  To further complicate matters, I have 6,000 Euros in cash I was going to use on hookers & blow in Amsterdam.  So I guess it makes sense to look at another European Union country to go to so I could spend out of the 6,000 Euros instead of putting charges on my credit card.  
You didn't know that Americans aren't allowed to travel to most of Europe for vacations? I find that shocking, especially considering you had tickets. You have heard of COVID and how the US has totally botched the handling of it, right? 

Looks like Cancun is the winnah.  thanks for the suggestion...  i would never have thought of it.  Flight leaves at 0800 EDT tomorrow morning.  Still have to decide on a hotel but I'm leaning towards the Ritz Carlton Cancun.  
The Ritz is quite nice. I've enjoyed many a martinis at their lobby bar. 

bigbottom said:
Dude. Congratulations, but I never would have guessed you'd been married 50 years!

Well fooey.  Looks like I'll be passing my week's vacation safely at home.  :sadbanana:
It's not that complicated. I'm headed to Maui on Thursday. I went to get my covid test yesterday and will be uploading my result as soon as it comes back today/tomorrow. That flow chart makes it seem more complicated than it is.

Now there's a solid suggestion.  At first glance, there are convenient flights from BOS to CUN.  Just got to check hotels....
Been looking at Latin America: 

Tamarindo or Samara, Costa Rica > Playa Del Carmen, Mexico > Cabo San Lucas, Mexico > Cancun Mexico

If you're going to Party hard and seek out hookers and Blow then maybe Cabo > Playa Del Carmen > Cancun > Tamarindo 

Also : San Juan, Puerto Rico. 

You didn't know that Americans aren't allowed to travel to most of Europe for vacations? I find that shocking, especially considering you had tickets. You have heard of COVID and how the US has totally botched the handling of it, right? 

The Ritz is quite nice. I've enjoyed many a martinis at their lobby bar. 
FWIW, I think the travel restrictions kicked in just a few days before my scheduled trip. And the airline didn’t help...  what they sent around led me to believe all I would have to do was to sign off that I didn’t have any COVID symptoms, hadn’t been around anyone who tested positive, etc. so it was kind of a bummer to be turned back at the airport. 

So far Cancun has been good. I had to go out and buy some short-sleeved shirts, though, as I was packed for AMS not the beach. 

And the Ritz Carlton has been good.  they were able to exchange some of my Euros for Pesos.  I’m staying in a Club level room so I can get unlimited free drinks in the lounge from 11:00 to 8:00pm.  

the hookers are a fraction of the price in AMS. While cannabis remains illegal here, I was able to score some Mexican dank this morning in the old city. 

So it beats sitting around at home by myself. So far so good. 

FWIW, I think the travel restrictions kicked in just a few days before my scheduled trip. And the airline didn’t help...  what they sent around led me to believe all I would have to do was to sign off that I didn’t have any COVID symptoms, hadn’t been around anyone who tested positive, etc. so it was kind of a bummer to be turned back at the airport. 

So far Cancun has been good. I had to go out and buy some short-sleeved shirts, though, as I was packed for AMS not the beach. 

And the Ritz Carlton has been good.  they were able to exchange some of my Euros for Pesos.  I’m staying in a Club level room so I can get unlimited free drinks in the lounge from 11:00 to 8:00pm.  

the hookers are a fraction of the price in AMS. While cannabis remains illegal here, I was able to score some Mexican dank this morning in the old city. 

So it beats sitting around at home by myself. So far so good. 
Glad you are enjoying yourself, that’s quite an interesting trip. I didn’t attempt to travel but I really thought the travel restrictions to Europe have been in place for months.

Users who are viewing this thread