What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How 'bout them Reds! (3 Viewers)

Chapman on pace for, statistically, the greasy season for a closer on history. Cy young candidate?
If the rest of the season looks like April, May and July, he has to be, doesn't he?
I would say that he AND Cueto are in the discussion at this point. I can't see AC getting it, though. In fact, Dickey seems to have been annointed by the media this year as the greatest pitcher since Koufax. With him pitching in NY (even on a crappy team) he will probably get it unless he has a late season collapse. Other considerations are probably Cain (perfecto) and Dempster (assuming he stays in the NL) As a Reds fan, I love what Cueto has done this year. It would be great for him to get the vote and shove the ASG snub up LaRussa's ###. AC has over 17K/9IP.... that blows the record out of the water, does it not? still, strikeouts may be sexy, but I just can't see the voters calling it a Cy Young season.

Geez. The Astros might not win another game as a National League team.

Beaten by Drew Stubbs on back to back nights? Ouch.

I was pretty ticked last night when the Astros took the lead. The one thing that has kept the Pirates close to the top this season (before this past Cubs series) was that they were beating the bottom feeders. Maybe I am spoiled, but I would not have been satisfied with them taking 2of3 from the worst team in baseball as they sell off their players to the highest bidder.

I want the #1 seed in the playoffs. You can't get that by losing to Houston.

I know they play Colorado for 3 and San Diego at home for 4, and they should win all those games, but I am a realist. I say they need to take 5 of 7 at a minimum.

'Caesar said:
I was pretty ticked last night when the Astros took the lead. The one thing that has kept the Pirates close to the top this season (before this past Cubs series) was that they were beating the bottom feeders. Maybe I am spoiled, but I would not have been satisfied with them taking 2of3 from the worst team in baseball as they sell off their players to the highest bidder.I want the #1 seed in the playoffs. You can't get that by losing to Houston. I know they play Colorado for 3 and San Diego at home for 4, and they should win all those games, but I am a realist. I say they need to take 5 of 7 at a minimum.
They haven't done especially well in Denver lately, have they? Different year, different team, hopefully. They did come through the big West Coast swing much better than in seasons past, but this offense, especially sans Votto, is sporadic at best. They could hit 10 home runs in these next three games, or hit 20 first-pitch popups to second (or both, I suppose).

'Caesar said:
I was pretty ticked last night when the Astros took the lead. The one thing that has kept the Pirates close to the top this season (before this past Cubs series) was that they were beating the bottom feeders. Maybe I am spoiled, but I would not have been satisfied with them taking 2of3 from the worst team in baseball as they sell off their players to the highest bidder.I want the #1 seed in the playoffs. You can't get that by losing to Houston. I know they play Colorado for 3 and San Diego at home for 4, and they should win all those games, but I am a realist. I say they need to take 5 of 7 at a minimum.
They haven't done especially well in Denver lately, have they? Different year, different team, hopefully. They did come through the big West Coast swing much better than in seasons past, but this offense, especially sans Votto, is sporadic at best. They could hit 10 home runs in these next three games, or hit 20 first-pitch popups to second (or both, I suppose).
I agree. That is why I say they need 5 of 7 instead of 6 or 7 of 7. My point with that is, even if they have a bad series and only take one from Colorado, Championship teams bounce back from that, especially at home against a bottom feeder like the Padres. Arroyo tonight, Cueto tomorrow and Latos on Sunday against a horrific Rockies pitching staff gives them a good chance to at least take 2. Still, I am pulling for 10 in a row by the end of it. I can't remember a time in my life where I have looked at the standings and saw L10 10-0 next to the Reds. (I wasn't old enough to read in 75/76 when I assume they did it)

What was Rutledge questioning on that last pitch? Did it sound high to him?

This is the best top to bottom pitching I think I've ever seen from the Reds, Nasty Boys era included. I'd have to go back and look at stats, but I don't think the 3-5 (heck possibly 2-5) starters did what these guys are doing now.

Who are you guys wanting to see the Reds bring in? Span? Pierre? Pitching seems fine and I think the depth is good too. Happy to see Xavier Paul come into his own since he's been in the Reds organization the last month. Sucks that he might not still be on the club once Votto is ready but who are they going to get rid of? Really doubt they'd get rid of Cairo since he's such a good clubhouse guy. Thoughts everyone?

Who are you guys wanting to see the Reds bring in? Span? Pierre? Pitching seems fine and I think the depth is good too. Happy to see Xavier Paul come into his own since he's been in the Reds organization the last month. Sucks that he might not still be on the club once Votto is ready but who are they going to get rid of? Really doubt they'd get rid of Cairo since he's such a good clubhouse guy. Thoughts everyone?
Thinking way outside the box - but they can make a trade with the Royals for farmhand Clint Robinson - guy is blocked in the KC organization - possesses ridiculous power and can be moved to LF or RF once Votto returns. Could get him cheap but would have to take on a Francouer or Betancourt salary to make it happen.I am a Cardinals fan - but watch a ton of AAA baseball here and there are several KC prospects stuck in Omaha because of the DUMB Royals management. Clint is major league ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking way outside the box - but they can make a trade with the Royals for farmhand Clint Robinson - guy is blocked in the KC organization - possesses ridiculous power and can be moved to LF or RF once Votto returns. Could get him cheap but would have to take on a Francouer or Betancourt salary to make it happen.I am a Cardinals fan - but watch a ton of AAA baseball here and there are several KC prospects stuck in Omaha because of the DUMB Royals management. Clint is major league ready.
Problem they face is right now they have to find either a center fielder or shortstop who can lead off. A rental shortstop would be nice, since I think Cozart wil continue to develop, and Heisey could see time in center to spare us from some of Stubbs' worse streaks. With as hot as Ludwick has been, I think it would be silly to cut into his and Frazier's AB's with a new acquisition, unless Rolen goes in the deal, in which case they take a hit defensively.

Re: Paul. You're probably right he goes back down for Votto, but he will have a role when rosters expand and may make the playoff roster if we make it.

Problem they face is right now they have to find either a center fielder or shortstop who can lead off. A rental shortstop would be nice, since I think Cozart wil continue to develop, and Heisey could see time in center to spare us from some of Stubbs' worse streaks. With as hot as Ludwick has been, I think it would be silly to cut into his and Frazier's AB's with a new acquisition, unless Rolen goes in the deal, in which case they take a hit defensively.
No way Rolen goes in any deal. If they deal for someone like Span, then Stubbs's playing time will be cut. Just doesn't seem like anyone but Paul could be sent down which sucks since an additional left handed bat would be nice. What do you guys think about calling up Billy Hamilton a day before September just so he could be on the playoff roster and give the Reds a huge boost of speed for the playoffs?

No way Rolen goes in any deal. If they deal for someone like Span, then Stubbs's playing time will be cut. Just doesn't seem like anyone but Paul could be sent down which sucks since an additional left handed bat would be nice. What do you guys think about calling up Billy Hamilton a day before September just so he could be on the playoff roster and give the Reds a huge boost of speed for the playoffs?
I don't think he is on the 40 man roster yet, is he? Would doing that start the "clock" ticking on him? (I'm not real clear on how all that works). I think the Reds will want to delay that until next season at the earliest. I still have bad memories of some of the stupid stuff Bowden did in signing draft picks to major league contracts (Espinosa, some other dude) and taking on Wily Mo Pena - we really should be sending a fruit basket to the Red Sox every year from here out for the Arroyo trade.

I don't think he is on the 40 man roster yet, is he? Would doing that start the "clock" ticking on him? (I'm not real clear on how all that works). I think the Reds will want to delay that until next season at the earliest. I still have bad memories of some of the stupid stuff Bowden did in signing draft picks to major league contracts (Espinosa, some other dude) and taking on Wily Mo Pena - we really should be sending a fruit basket to the Red Sox every year from here out for the Arroyo trade.
Lol, agree. No, Hamilton is not on the 40 man roster. Would use one of his options. Only reason I brought it up was since that's essentially what they did with Aroldis when the Reds made the playoffs in '10.

The Reds may not lose again this year! They are on fire. Pretty impressive with Votto being out. I'm just glad there is a 2nd wildcard this year to give my Cards a better chance of making the playoffs. I don't see the Reds giving up their lead in the Central.

Thinking way outside the box - but they can make a trade with the Royals for farmhand Clint Robinson - guy is blocked in the KC organization - possesses ridiculous power and can be moved to LF or RF once Votto returns. Could get him cheap but would have to take on a Francouer or Betancourt salary to make it happen.

I am a Cardinals fan - but watch a ton of AAA baseball here and there are several KC prospects stuck in Omaha because of the DUMB Royals management. Clint is major league ready.
I honestly have no idea about the implications of that, but it's a really interesting idea. I don't think they'd use him even as a pinch hitter so him as a runner would probably have to replace a pitcher. I guess that depends on how many pitchers they think they need to carry for the postseason. IIRC, some teams carry less pitchers since they are moving #5 starter to the pen and probably aren't using end of the bullpen guys anyway.

Leake out Volquezing Edison here in the early going. ...and stick a fork in him. Hope Siimon and Lecure can eat up some innings.

I would love to know what Fairchild (HP ump) said to set Mesoraco off.

He certainly didn't seem to be taking the high road at any moment of that confrontation.

I can why Mess was #####ing. That pitch was right over the plate and it wasn't the first bad call of the night. Leake was certainly bad, but Fairchild was worse. His K zone is a teacup.

I was just following it on ESPN early on, and the little at-bat box kept showing pitches right in the middle of the box light up green for balls. Was starting to wonder how accurate that thing was....

How bad was Stubbs that he has been this hot and his avg. is still below .240?

Is he finally coming into his own? Or is he just on a hot streak waiting to crash back to earth?

Todd Frazier is fun to watch. I used to see him a few times a year when he came to town with the Bats and I always thought he was just an aloof kid - but he can play and he has fun doing it.

I hope Stubbs is coming into his own, but more than likely it is just a hot streak. It comes at a good time, with Votto out and now Phillips sidelined for a bit.

What is even more surprising is that Ludwick is only batting .264 right now. He has been tearing the cover off the ball, batting .556 in the past 7 games and .330 in the past 30. I guess he struggled a lot more in the beginning of the year than what i realized.

I do enjoy watching Frazier play, him and Phillips really look like they enjoy being out there day to day.

I hope Stubbs is coming into his own, but more than likely it is just a hot streak. It comes at a good time, with Votto out and now Phillips sidelined for a bit. What is even more surprising is that Ludwick is only batting .264 right now. He has been tearing the cover off the ball, batting .556 in the past 7 games and .330 in the past 30. I guess he struggled a lot more in the beginning of the year than what i realized. I do enjoy watching Frazier play, him and Phillips really look like they enjoy being out there day to day.
Hard to argue with the way Dusty has been using the bench and the staff - but I think with Ludwick as hot as he has been (not in the starting lineup for the day game) - why not put him in the lineup every game until his head falls off?

I hope Stubbs is coming into his own, but more than likely it is just a hot streak. It comes at a good time, with Votto out and now Phillips sidelined for a bit. What is even more surprising is that Ludwick is only batting .264 right now. He has been tearing the cover off the ball, batting .556 in the past 7 games and .330 in the past 30. I guess he struggled a lot more in the beginning of the year than what i realized. I do enjoy watching Frazier play, him and Phillips really look like they enjoy being out there day to day.
Hard to argue with the way Dusty has been using the bench and the staff - but I think with Ludwick as hot as he has been (not in the starting lineup for the day game) - why not put him in the lineup every game until his head falls off?
They've already got one eye on October and I think rightfully so. Big picture, keep Ludwick fresh and healthy for now.

They've already got one eye on October and I think rightfully so. Big picture, keep Ludwick fresh and healthy for now.
I agree, that was the reasoning from Baker, they said it's just a normal off day for Ludwick and I would rather have him ready for the Pirates series. Who would of thought, Pirates and Reds in August would of been a huge series. Plus the way the game is going so far today, i am satisfied with the move by Dusty. With both Rolen and Frazier playing well, it is going to be tough when Votto comes back, to see who is going to get more playing time. I hope it is Frazier, but it is nice to see them both in there. I wonder if Frazier can play SS at times, to get him in the lineup more?

I would much rather watch a game on FSN Ohio with Thom Brenaman and Chris Walsh than anyone on ESPN anyday.

'Timmay said:
'cheese said:
'On The Rocks said:
I agree, that was the reasoning from Baker, they said it's just a normal off day for Ludwick and I would rather have him ready for the Pirates series. Who would of thought, Pirates and Reds in August would of been a huge series. Plus the way the game is going so far today, i am satisfied with the move by Dusty. With both Rolen and Frazier playing well, it is going to be tough when Votto comes back, to see who is going to get more playing time. I hope it is Frazier, but it is nice to see them both in there. I wonder if Frazier can play SS at times, to get him in the lineup more?
He was a SS in college and the first couple of years in the Reds organization, before being convereted to a OF/CI guy.

Chris Welsh is quickly becoming one of the best color guys in baseball. Really solid analyst and enjoyable to listen to.

And, imo, there's not much of a need, imo, for a leadoff hitter. With Ludwick being the monster he has been, there's your cleanup hitter, which allows BP to move bakc up to leadoff. Bat Stubbs 2nd and that's a pretty sick lineup to go w/ one of the best pitching staffs in baseball.

Huge series starts tonight. Go Reds!

They may have to dip McCutcheon in liquid nitrogen to take the sting out of that one. Ouch!
I think this series just got ugly. No doubt, based on Cutch's reaction after the game, that he felt it was intentional. Pirates have no choice but to respond tomorrow, IMO.

They may have to dip McCutcheon in liquid nitrogen to take the sting out of that one. Ouch!
I think this series just got ugly. No doubt, based on Cutch's reaction after the game, that he felt it was intentional. Pirates have no choice but to respond tomorrow, IMO.
I didn't see the after the game reaction from him. I figured someone would probably get plunked tomorrow, but at the time I didn't think it looked intentional, though I can see how it could be viewed that way - other team's star player, lefty on deck, Cuban pitcher prone to occasionall somersaults, hotel kidnappings, and inexplicably switching from a windup to a stretch with nobody on base....What's your take? At first I though Cutch was crowding the plate a little, but I backed it up and rewatched it and it didn't look like he was hanging out there too bad, but the pitch wasn't as terrible as some I've seen.Hope it doesn't ruin what could be a great series.

I didn't see the after the game reaction from him. I figured someone would probably get plunked tomorrow, but at the time I didn't think it looked intentional, though I can see how it could be viewed that way - other team's star player, lefty on deck, Cuban pitcher prone to occasionall somersaults, hotel kidnappings, and inexplicably switching from a windup to a stretch with nobody on base....What's your take? At first I though Cutch was crowding the plate a little, but I backed it up and rewatched it and it didn't look like he was hanging out there too bad, but the pitch wasn't as terrible as some I've seen.

Hope it doesn't ruin what could be a great series.
Here you go.

Dang. Was heading home from Goettafest and missed Leake either being a genius in getting the bench warning issued with the first shot, or just being the weakest link in the rotation, since he's served up 1.75 dingers in the next inning and change.

What a game! Rolen's triple was probably the most fired up I've ever seen a Reds crowd.
In order to win a championship.....special little things have to happen in your favor that you have no control over - they just happen.Fraizer's high hopper infield single to score the winning run - was one of those moments. I rewound and watched that play several times. It was such a fun game to watch!

Just my 2 cents, I thought McCutcheon's was intentional and Harrison's definitely wasnt and the reaction from Harrison was pretty ridiculous. I don't think any of it will be a big deal though. Even if the Pirates throw at someone today, odds are the Reds will just march down to 1st and be done with it. I expect they know it's for Chapman's and can live with that.I don't really care that much about that story line anyway. This team is a buzzsaw right now. :banned:

Just my 2 cents, I thought McCutcheon's was intentional and Harrison's definitely wasnt and the reaction from Harrison was pretty ridiculous. I don't think any of it will be a big deal though. Even if the Pirates throw at someone today, odds are the Reds will just march down to 1st and be done with it. I expect they know it's for Chapman's and can live with that.I don't really care that much about that story line anyway. This team is a buzzsaw right now. :banned:
This is baseball, not women's gymnastics. The only problem I have with Chapman going tight on McCutheon is that it seemed a little high. I don't like seeing 100mph fastballs at the head.Harrison can scowl at Leake all day on that pitch inside. Doesn't bother me. Intimidation is part of the game. Any mental edge you can get on a guy, right? well, he went yard off Leake later in the game. The hard tag in the eighth seems to be a topic of discussion, but still, its baseball. I love to see the rivalry between two teams who have barely been relevant for 20 years. The Reds have had, what? 3 good seasons since 1990? The Pirates = 0.Love what the Reds are doing this year, and I can't wait to get to the next day to watch the next victory. All the years of being a true Reds fan is finally paying off with some fun baseball to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread