What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How 'bout them Reds! (3 Viewers)

Thoughts on Shogo signing?  If he pans out, where will he and Senzel play?
I think its fine, although it remains to be seen if he is much of an upgrade over what they already had in the outfield.  Sometimes the Japanese baseball don't translate as well to the MLB.  Not all can keep up their level of production over here.  IF he can, he will be a great top of the order guy.

I think he plays a corner outfield spot and Senzel stays in center with the occasional spell.  I am more concerned about what this mean for Lorenzen playing in Center because I really think he could be a great asset out there.  I'm not sure his hitting can be consistent enough for it, though.  

Shogo is an insurance against the oft injured Senzel, and if the Reds keep Senzel, which is not a guarantee, then that is how I see it playing out.  I would actually be ok with them moving Senzel for a SS or Catcher that can upgrade things at those positions.

Ya I like it. Over 162 games, the last thing I’m worried about is having too many good players to play and where to play them. 

Suarez with a shoulder cartilage injury due to a "pool mishap".  WTF.
I didn't like the part where it says they are expecting him to be ready "toward" the beginning of the season.  oof.

However, I also seem to remember him get a 2-4 week injury last year or the year before, and he was back playing within 10 days, so hope he's just a fast healer.

ETA:  Moustakas makes for real nice insurance at 3rd if Suarez is not ready, though.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Reds homer, thoughts on the schedule.

I think the division comes down to the Reds and Cubs. 

The Reds get the abysmal Tigers for six of the first ten games. They have four against the Cubs in between. 

The Cubs have a tough two weeks in mid-August with games against St.Louis/Milwaukee/Cleveland. The Reds during that same period get Kansas City and Pittsburgh.

The Reds end the season with games against Milwaukee and Minnesota, two strong teams who will most likely still be fighting for a playoff spot. The Cubs get Pittsburgh and the White Sox during that same stretch.

Reds homer, thoughts on the schedule.

I think the division comes down to the Reds and Cubs. 

The Reds get the abysmal Tigers for six of the first ten games. They have four against the Cubs in between. 

The Cubs have a tough two weeks in mid-August with games against St.Louis/Milwaukee/Cleveland. The Reds during that same period get Kansas City and Pittsburgh.

The Reds end the season with games against Milwaukee and Minnesota, two strong teams who will most likely still be fighting for a playoff spot. The Cubs get Pittsburgh and the White Sox during that same stretch.
It is a favorable schedule all around.  Cubs and Pirates come to GABP 7 times.  Reds go to Stl and Mil 7 times.  

Its important to get off to a fast start.  Sonny Gray named the opening day starter is interesting.  35-25 is my prediction.  Good enough to take the division.

NLDS   Cin over Phi in 4 games

NLCS Cin over LAD in 6 games

WS  Cin over Min in 5 games

Too optimistic?

Too optimistic?
As a Cubs homer, of course I say yes.

I think it comes down to pitching and Yu Darvish just seems ready to break out. It wouldn't be surprising to see him pitch on four days rest by the middle of August.

The aging Jon Lester won't have to pace himself, and he also might do the four day thing comes September.

The Reds can rake, Castellanos is going to be ridiculous in that ballpark. They have depth, too. 

It will be an intense couple of months. 

Just like old times. Two of three fantastic starts ruined by the bullpen and the 4th starter follows up with a dumpster fire first inning, I know they are missing some guys already and hope that they can get back to full strength soon, but I was hoping they would bust out of the gates hotter.

Hopefully I’m just being extra negative because I had a bad week personally and this will turn around quickly.

Different year, same old ####

- Good pitching? No bats and/or bullpen will gag it away

- Good hitting? Starting pitcher will get lit up (or they'll all give up a run every inning for 6-7 straight)

How long are we gonna pretend Cody Reed will ever perform?

They should trade this whole bullpen to the Marlins, use 2 starters per game, counting Iglesias, Mahle and Lorenzen and pitch every 4th day. (Or just forfeit every 5th game - same difference).

Maybe if MLB had added a 4th outfielder with the rest of the beer league rules for this year....
Well, Bell tried to do defensive replacements for these situations the first few games and the players yelled at him and bullied him out of it. 

Well, Bell tried to do defensive replacements for these situations the first few games and the players yelled at him and bullied him out of it. 
Nice to see them turn right around and get the lead back, but sheesh, that was bad. Can’t afford to give away outs in the field or on the basepaths until the bullpen gets back to mediocre.

I remember when it was a given Dave Collins was coming out for somebody (Sam Mejias, maybe?) whenever they had a late lead. That was an automatic,

No blame on Bell here.  That was Senzel's ball and he should have called him off.  

Think we’ve had enough Reed/Lorenzen for 2020. Is Garrett hurt, or are they hiding him to pretend that there is one competent pitcher in that pen?

Think we’ve had enough Reed/Lorenzen for 2020. Is Garrett hurt, or are they hiding him to pretend that there is one competent pitcher in that pen?
Garrett pitched yesterday or Friday.  They need to give Strop more work too.

Thom Brennaman is as good as gone right?
He’s not on the TV broadcast right now for sure. I did not hear it in the air because I wasn’t watching at that time, but if the twitter clip I heard is legit, I don’t think he’s coming back from that.

Guess it legit and I think he is done: Apology

Force out at home on a single to right with the bases loaded. Ridiculous and sad.

Time for the ceremonial firing of either the batting coach or the third base coach so they can then can Bell after losing the next 6 in a row.

Force out at home on a single to right with the bases loaded. Ridiculous and sad.

Time for the ceremonial firing of either the batting coach or the third base coach so they can then can Bell after losing the next 6 in a row.

A month ago I thought "there's no way they don't make the playoffs with more than half the league being included".  

This is disgusting and depressing.

I don’t know how they pulled this off with the whole team hitting in the low .200’s, but I’ll take it. 

Was afraid to check in on this thread and jinx it when they started rolling. If the bats start clicking with the anticipation of making the postseason lifted, they could really make some  noise.

Users who are viewing this thread