What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett (4 Viewers)

White House limits scope of the FBI's investigation into the allegations against Brett Kavanaugh

What a shocking development. I don't think anyone could have seen that coming.
Honest question, how is this legal or possible? They are an autonomous law enforcement agency, right? Once they've got the green light to look at this, how can they ignore their usual SOP and, under a strict time limit, conduct a restricted, partial investigation? Once they're let off the chain to run why does the white house have the authority to limit the scope of what they find and what leads they follow? 

PS I went to catholic high school. Fortunate enough to avoid actual touching, but definitely a few awkward moments with the Fransican brothers there, as most of us had. Men of the cloth. 

It's clear - which is perhaps a good thing - that many people's interaction with and understanding of law enforcement and/or the FBI is somewhat limited. 

The FBI will run its investigation how it sees fit.  It doesn't take detailed "instruction" as suggested above.  And it has already been reported that they are preparing to interview, or may already have interviewed, Deborah Ramirez. 
Unfortunately it appears that the White House does not agree with you. 

Sorry when they said “one week” you envisioned a Russia Special.....that’s on you. 
I expected the FBI would chose what they find relevant to the discussion.  When you limit things that may show he truth  and show where he lied...that severely limits what they can do.

Shame on any of you who voted for Trump. Look what you’ve done. 

If my wife and girls asked me to move to Canada, I’d start packing my #### without asking a single question. 
Not so fast

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/07/canada-immigration-success/564944/

Almost everyone who immigrates to Canada has to first apply from overseas, and before they’re granted entry they’re subjected to extensive vetting by Canadian authorities. Those who make the cut have to wait months or years for their turn in line before being let in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took some Time off from the circus.  But as I was playing golf yesterday I kept coming back to the striking difference in the two witnesses on Thursday.   She did everything she could to tell the truth.  He did everything he could not to.  It is that simple.  I don’t know how any rational person could come away from that and find him credible.  

He didn’t have to lie.  He could have admitted that he drank to excess.  He could have admitted the yearbook contained vulgar references to women. And, he also could have maintained that none of that proves he sexually assaulted someone.  Which it doesn’t.  People would have disbelieved him but ultimately his credibility would have remained in tact.  

But he didn’t.  He chose to lie.  And it is that choice that should, on its own, torpedo his nomination.   
That and how partisan he made himself out to be.  I've never seen that from any other potential Justice that I can remember.

PS I went to catholic high school. Fortunate enough to avoid actual touching, but definitely a few awkward moments with the Fransican brothers there, as most of us had. Men of the cloth. 
I did too. Senior year we had to do confession face to face.  So all of the guys thought it would be funny to confess to masturbating all the time.  

Still funny. 

Honest question, how is this legal or possible? They are an autonomous law enforcement agency, right? Once they've got the green light to look at this, how can they ignore their usual SOP and, under a strict time limit, conduct a restricted, partial investigation? Once they're let off the chain to run why does the white house have the authority to limit the scope of what they find and what leads they follow? 
They do what their boss says

i would think if they came back and said, we think we have some serious leads, we need more time, that might be different....

but we are talking about an uncorroborated account from 35 or so years ago without a loacation, a time and some inconsistencies in the account...other than questioning a handful of folks, and/or reviewing their statements and testimony, there’s not much more to be done...

They do what their boss says

i would think if they came back and said, we think we have some serious leads, we need more time, that might be different....

but we are talking about an uncorroborated account from 35 or so years ago without a loacation, a time and some inconsistencies in the account...other than questioning a handful of folks, and/or reviewing their statements and testimony, there’s not much more to be done...
What about confirming if/when Judge worked at the grocery store?

I want to know what bizarre set of circumstances led to Mark Judge getting a job at Safeway.  Best theory I have right now is he borrowed his mom’s car, wrecked it, and mom made him get a job to pay for it. 

I want to know what bizarre set of circumstances led to Mark Judge getting a job at Safeway.  Best theory I have right now is he borrowed his mom’s car, wrecked it, and mom made him get a job to pay for it. 
It also could have been something like the parents didn't really have the time/want to teach him right from wrong, so they thought him getting a job us peasants got would teach them all he needed about discipline and respecting other humans.

White House limits scope of the FBI's investigation into the allegations against Brett Kavanaugh

What a shocking development. I don't think anyone could have seen that coming.
Anyone who watched the hearing (or participated in it, aka the Dems) saw it coming.

Flake stated before the vote that the FBI should conduct an investigation limited in time and scope.

CNN video of Flake saying limited time and scope

Not sure why anyone would get upset at Trump over a decision made by the SJC.

Anyone who watched the hearing (or participated in it, aka the Dems) saw it coming.

Flake stated before the vote that the FBI should conduct an investigation limited in time and scope.

CNN video of Flake saying limited time and scope

Not sure why anyone would get upset at Trump over a decision made by the SJC.
Because Trump issued an order telling the FBI which witnesses they were allowed to interview and none of them are the woman who accused Kavanaugh of gang rape. 

It’s really outrageous. I’m hoping people freak out about this but who knows? 
The White House appears to think that this subject is like other things. It is not.  Women are watching.  Suburban white women over 40 are watching.  And if this is a sham, the Republican Party is likely going to pay the price at the polls. 

Every woman who went to a coed college in the 80s has a story like at least one of the ones that have been told about Kavanaugh. And a guy like Kavanaugh is the star.  Statistically speaking, those women are overwhelmingly white and better off financially than their non-college compatriots.   

Probably how him and his buddies got their beer.  Sneak it out the back door, check out without ringing it up, etc.

The White House appears to think that this subject is like other things. It is not.  Women are watching.  Suburban white women over 40 are watching.  And if this is a sham, the Republican Party is likely going to pay the price at the polls. 
You'd like to think so, wouldn't you? I mean I would too, but chances imo are low that any price will be paid.

In the few tidbits I have seen about him, apparently he blames his teenage drinking on his father, who is described like the Great Santini. If true, it would fit a profile of a wealthy parent making his kid go out and work a menial job. 

I keep hearing people on the right, including the President, tell us how highly they regard Dr. Ford, how much they find her credible, yet they don’t think Kavanaugh is guilty and they still support him. 

This is a contradiction that cannot survive even the most basic level of reasoning. Dr. Ford was 100% certain in her identification; furthermore she named two of Brett Kavanaugh’s friends. You cannot both find her credible and find Kavanaugh credible. If you believe Kavanaugh you must also believe that Ford is lying or insane. If you believe Ford you must also believe that Kavanaugh attempted to rape her. Those are your only choices. 

Maybe my search skills aren’t up to par.  I’m looking for a thread about the Keith Ellison accuser.  Can somebody link it for me?
Go ahead and fire one up...I think Opie tried this same thing in this thread.

I don’t think one person defended Ellison or said anything other than investigate it.

I think you are underestimating the effect of sexual assault on suburban white women. 
I hope so Henry. I hope they are as pissed off as they seem to be on TV. 

I think Republicans should realize that Kavanaugh might be untenable for them. It’s not just the upcoming election. If he is confirmed, for as long as he is on the Supreme Court he will be a reminded to women everywhere that the GOP knowingly put an accused rapist on our highest court. The ultimate definition of a Pyrrhic victory. 

I keep hearing people on the right, including the President, tell us how highly they regard Dr. Ford, how much they find her credible, yet they don’t think Kavanaugh is guilty and they still support him.

Some may think this way. But most of them are lying, and don't believe her. They know saying what they really think about Dr. Ford is unacceptable and will lead to being ostracized, so they say this. 

Maybe my search skills aren’t up to par.  I’m looking for a thread about the Keith Ellison accuser.  Can somebody link it for me?
He’s a Congressman running for Minnesota Attorney General. Have at it; who cares? 

You sure you don’t want to focus on Bill and Hillary? 

Every woman who went to a coed college in the 80s has a story like at least one of the ones that have been told about Kavanaugh. And a guy like Kavanaugh is the star.  Statistically speaking, those women are overwhelmingly white and better off financially than their non-college compatriots.   
Those of us who went to women's colleges do, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread