What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✦✦✦Official 2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

The Steelers likely wont get the 7th round compensatory pick.

The NFL limits the total number of all Comp picks awarded to 32. Thus the last ones are cut off if they go above that number.

So the 7th rounder (3,5,7) that had been speculated at by the best prognosticators would not actually be warded.

Could this effect the status of the 5th rounder and make it more favaorable? Possibly.

John Dwyer a Cardinal *confetti*

If nothing else, we can retire that tired, old dialogue about him now.
We dont have jack #### behind Le'Veon though which is what scares me. They wont use a top 3 draft pick on a RB without a doubt almost, so hopefully they grab someone cheap that lingers in FA, because Id rather have Dwyer than any rookie RB we could possibly get in round 5+, at least for 2014.

The fact they don't have jack#### behind Bell and chose to let Dwyer hit the bricks should tell everything anyone needs to know about how the front office felt about JD.

He's ridiculously fungible.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact they don't have jack#### behind Bell and chose to let Dwyer hit the bricks should tell everything anyone needs to know about how the front office felt about JD.

He's ridiculously fungible.
that and the fact that they cut him last august

Buffalo Bills FA DE Alex Carrington to visit Steelers facility tonight per Ian Rapoport
Not very familiar with him. Thoughts on this guy?
He is being pursued by the Cleveland Browns as well (connection to HC Mike Pettine, ex Bills DC), he is familiar with the 3-4 scheme and had a nice 2012 season, but got injured after 3 games in 2013, only 26 yrs old -- at minimum, would be a nice add to the depleted DE position with the upside of maybe a young Brett Keisel or so.

10 Potential Free Agent Bargains Per PFF:

Alex Carrington, DL

2013 Grade: N/A

Summary: Carrington is an interesting player in this year’s free agent market in that he has shown some serious potential in the past but missed almost all of 2013 through injury. He seemed to get lost as the Buffalo Bills switched defensive schemes in the past but looked really impressive as an interior pass rusher in 2012, racking up a +9.6 pass rushing grade on limited duty that was bettered by only 11 other defensive tackles. His best fit is likely as an interior pass rusher in passing situations and he makes a lot of sense for any team trying to emulate that aspect of the Super Bowl-winning Seattle Seahawks defense.

He was looking pretty decent outside before got hurt last year, as well. He's been on my "FA wish list" this offseason from jump, since I expected he'd come sort of cheap(I also didn't think the Steelers would be dropping 5 million on a FS).

Regardless, Carrington would be a nice get if he bounces back okay from his injury.

10 Potential Free Agent Bargains Per PFF:

Alex Carrington, DL

2013 Grade: N/A

Summary: Carrington is an interesting player in this year’s free agent market in that he has shown some serious potential in the past but missed almost all of 2013 through injury. He seemed to get lost as the Buffalo Bills switched defensive schemes in the past but looked really impressive as an interior pass rusher in 2012, racking up a +9.6 pass rushing grade on limited duty that was bettered by only 11 other defensive tackles. His best fit is likely as an interior pass rusher in passing situations and he makes a lot of sense for any team trying to emulate that aspect of the Super Bowl-winning Seattle Seahawks defense.
PFF also adds:

Alex Carrington, Defensive Lineman – Looked set to really test himself as a starter in 2013 before injury ended his year. That means a prove it deal is in his future which could be quite the get for someone.

He is the 66th best FA remaining per PFF's Top 75 FA list as of today 3/13/14

Now that the Ziggy Hood era has ended, talk about a ####ing waste of a 1st round pick.

This Carrington chap works for me and would probably be an upgrade.

Now that the Ziggy Hood era has ended, talk about a ####ing waste of a 1st round pick.

This Carrington chap works for me and would probably be an upgrade.
Not only Ziggy, no one from the 2008 and 2009 Steelers draft classes remains on the team.

Yikes.

James Harrison released. Wouldn't mind him back if he came cheap.
I think $955k is the vet minimum for 10+ years of service time. Not sure the Steelers would even pay that, but it may be Harrison's last shot to make an NFL roster. Plus, he could retire as a Steeler and hope the fans forget about the year in Cincinnati over time.

I really hope they don't even think about signing Harrison. The guy has nothing left and will take up a roster spot from someone younger, which is what this team needs...younger players.

James Harrison released. Wouldn't mind him back if he came cheap.
I've been expecting this. He really did not make any kind of impact in Cincy. Probably too much bad blood but I wouldn't mind Silverback as a part time player for league minimum.

Sounds like BS chatter, but talk of Vince Wilfork. If the price is right, I like him as a fatassed NT for a couple years. Coming off achilles injury increases risk, but drives his price down.

Mike Mitchell's contract -

$25 million, with $5.25 Mil guaranteed...

1. 2014 $750K (+1.45m in two bonus')
  2. 2015 $2 Mil, (+2.95m in two bonus')
  3. 2016 $5 Mil, (+950k bonus)
  4. 2017 $5 Mil, (+950k bonus)
  5. 2018 $5 Mil, (+950k bonus)
$400K performance bonus for making the Pro Bowl.

Only a 2.2m hit this year.

Sounds like we'll have Buffalo Bills DE Alex Carrington and San Diego NT Cam Thomas in town today -- we'll see if there is any traction on these guys.

I'm hoping we get Carrington, he seems like a pretty solid fit for what we do in the 3-4.

Mike Mitchell's
From yesterdays press conference...

"Its kind of like recruiting and this program (Pittsburgh) this is the best. This is the top.

And for them to want me and want to bring me in here and let me play for their franchise it was ... uhh... :shakes-head-in-disbelief:

I felt like I wanted it (even) more then they did."

From yesterdays press conference...

"Its kind of like recruiting and this program (Pittsburgh) this is the best. This is the top.

And for them to want me and want to bring me in here and let me play for their franchise it was ... uhh... :shakes-head-in-disbelief:

I felt like I wanted it (even) more then they did."

:hifive:

If we sign Carrington, then it becomes clear they'll go with a NT rotation of Thomas (obvious run downs) and McClendon (obvious passing downs), but if Carrington does not sign, I think they may shift McClendon outside to a DE role. In any case I wouldnt go annointing Thomas yet, I think they want to have a healthy competition at NT between Thomas, Fanguapo and possibly a rookie to try and fill the void.

Emmanuel Sanders nationwide tour goes on! He has visited JAX, TB and KC so far, and now plans to visit SF.

I think they want to have a healthy competition at NT between Thomas, Fanguapo and possibly a rookie to try and fill the void.
I hope I'm wrong, but this sounds pretty putrid.
Before 2013, Thomas actually was putting up solid #'s per PFF -- last year he was not as good, I'm not sure if there was a scheme change or not whenever Norv got fired that could've led to the regression.

I'm already looking forward to August when I can say : "Who the hell is Cam Thomas?!" Then I'll come back to this page, re-read it and say : "Oh yeah......"

James Starks - RB - Packers
Free agent RB James Starks will visit the Steelers on Monday.
The Steelers are an ideal landing spot for Starks, who posted 493 yards, four touchdowns, and a 5.53 YPC in a bounce-back 2013 season. If signed, Starks would immediately take over as the No. 2 running back behind Le'Veon Bell.
Related: Steelers

Source: Tyler Dunne on Twitter

Starks, and players of his ilk, are precisely why you shouldn't get that bent out of shape when the Jon Dwyers of the league get cut from your favorite team's roster. Guys who look just like him are usually available every offseason.

Emanuel Sanders to Denver. Was it worth a 3rd round pick to have him last year?
Everyone knows it wasn't what's the point in beating the dead horse? Hopefully it's a lesson learned to the front office to either lock these guys up the year before or try to get something out of them.

BigSteelThrill said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
Emanuel Sanders to Denver. Was it worth a 3rd round pick to have him last year?
No, because we missed the playoffs by the narrowest of margins.

If we had made the playoffs then it would have been worth it.
Exactly. No one could have predicted the injuries they were hit with. Minus the injuries and stumbling out of the gate they most likely make the playoffs and you want that guy out there instead of an unproven rookie.

Users who are viewing this thread