What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

10 Guys to stay away from in fantasy baseball (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
SEE POST #57 for 2007 list

Stay away from:

1) Eric Gagne- Coming off elbow surgery, steroid whispers last year. Id stay away. Danys Baez might be a good sleeper

2) Mike Lowell- I am 90% certain this guys good years were based on steroid use. Im fairly certain last year was NOT a fluke and that he is done.

3) Yankees starters- they all have WAY too many question marks. I expect a solid season from Johnson.

4&5) Josh Beckett/AJ Burnett- Let someone else take these constant injury risks. They are probably getting drafted way too high.

6) Alfonso Soriano- Numbers should dip with him being unhappy and playing in that stadium.

7) Jarrod Washburn- Dont let his contract fool you.

8) Jeff Fracouer- Im not convinced he will be a "star" as he was made out to be last year. I think the league will figure him out if they didnt already last year.

9) John Smoltz- set for another breakdown.

10) Todd Jones- old closers are risky

Ready for a rebound:

1) Curt Schilling- everything I read is hes good to go & that hes been having some sick workouts. hes determined after last year disappointing season.

2) Frank Thomas- 11 HRs last year shows he still is a great hitter. Oakland has a solid lineup and hes set as the cleanup hitter, everyday DH.

3) Roy Halladay- His broken leg is almost a nonfactor. STUD

4) Kelvim Escobar- Has some of the fithiest stuff in the game and I think hes Anaheims best starter

5) Rocco Baldelli- alot of people may have forgot about him.

6) Zack Grienke- had a horrible season but has top notch stuff. I expect him to make a 180 this year.

7) Carlos Pena- I have a feeling the last time he was sent down last year made him realize how hard he has to work to stay in the majors. I think he becomes a solid 1B this year and hits 280 with 25 HRs and 80 RBIs

8) Steve Finley- Could be a good late round flyer. Right now is the backup but I expect him to see ALOT of time with Alou and Bonds very injury prone.

9) Clint Barmes- Was having a monster season and got hurt. Playing in Coors means he should be a great option again.

10) Adrain Beltre- Dont think hell ever hit 50 HRs again but I do think hes a very talented player that will put up solid #s

Sleepers:

1) Brad Wilkerson- Always a good player, now could be a stud in Arlington

2) Danny Haren- Almost as talented as Harden and Zito

3) Mike Gonzalez- I think he is a future stud closer. I expect 30-40 saves this year depending how the Pirates do. Low WHIP

4) Danys Baez- Just in case Gagne isnt fully recovered

5) Josh Towers- Solid pitcher for a solid team.

6) Jason Davis- My deep sleeper to become a closer this year if Wickman falters or gets hurt which I expect. Has closer stuff.

7) Jeremy Hermida- Should put up good offensive #s

8) Chris Duffy- Put up great #s before getting hurt last year.

9) JJ Hardy- Could be a top SS by the end of the year

10) Khalil Greene- Dont forget about this future Stud

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good writeup shady :thumbup:

I agree on Randy (he's comfortable in NY now... look out) and schilling having solid years.

Curt has dropped a TON of weight and has been busting his ###

EDIT: I don't think Curt will revert to dominant old Curt.. but he will no longer be an embarassment to his legacy :)

Stay away from:

1) Eric Gagne- Coming off elbow surgery, steroid whispers last year. Id stay away. Danys Baez might be a good sleeper

2) Mike Lowell- I am 90% certain this guys good years were based on steroid use. Im fairly certain last year was NOT a fluke and that he is done.

3) Yankees starters- they all have WAY too many question marks. I expect a solid season from Johnson.

4&5) Josh Beckett/AJ Burnett- Let someone else take these constant injury risks. They are probably getting drafted way too high.

6) Alfonso Soriano- Numbers should dip with him being unhappy and playing in that stadium.

7) Jarrod Washburn- Dont let his contract fool you.

8) Jeff Fracouer- Im not convinced he will be a "star" as he was made out to be last year. I think the league will figure him out if they didnt already last year.

9) John Smoltz- set for another breakdown.

10) Todd Jones- old closers are risky

Ready for a rebound:

1) Curt Schilling- everything I read is hes good to go & that hes been having some sick workouts. hes determined after last year disappointing season.

2) Frank Thomas- 11 HRs last year shows he still is a great hitter. Oakland has a solid lineup and hes set as the cleanup hitter, everyday DH.

3) Roy Halladay- His broken leg is almost a nonfactor. STUD

4) Kelvim Escobar- Has some of the fithiest stuff in the game and I think hes Anaheims best starter

5) Rocco Baldelli- alot of people may have forgot about him.

6) Zack Grienke- had a horrible season but has top notch stuff. I expect him to make a 180 this year.

7) Carlos Pena- I have a feeling the last time he was sent down last year made him realize how hard he has to work to stay in the majors. I think he becomes a solid 1B this year and hits 280 with 25 HRs and 80 RBIs

8) Steve Finley- Could be a good late round flyer. Right now is the backup but I expect him to see ALOT of time with Alou and Bonds very injury prone.

9) Clint Barmes- Was having a monster season and got hurt. Playing in Coors means he should be a great option again.

10) Adrain Beltre- Dont think hell ever hit 50 HRs again but I do think hes a very talented player that will put up solid #s

Sleepers:

1) Brad Wilkerson- Always a good player, now could be a stud in Arlington

2) Danny Haren- Almost as talented as Harden and Zito

3) Mike Gonzalez- I think he is a future stud closer. I expect 30-40 saves this year depending how the Pirates do. Low WHIP

4) Danys Baez- Just in case Gagne isnt fully recovered

5) Josh Towers- Solid pitcher for a solid team.

6) Jason Davis- My deep sleeper to become a closer this year if Wickman falters or gets hurt which I expect. Has closer stuff.

7) Jeremy Hermida- Should put up good offensive #s

8) Chris Duffy- Put up great #s before getting hurt last year.

9) JJ Hardy- Could be a top SS by the end of the year

10) Khalil Greene- Dont forget about this future Stud
On the "stay away from" list, I wouldn't stay away from Gagne or certain Yankees starters. Chacon is real good, and both he and Wang should pick up Ws just by being Yankees. I would, however, stay away from both Moose and Pavano...and Wright goes without saying. I'd also lean towards giving Smoltz benefit of the doubt. As for the rest of the list, I agree with just about all of them especially Soriano and Francoeur.I don't expect a big rebound from Schilling or Steve Finley, but I agree with the rest. Pena needs to be traded though, otherwise he'll have a tough time finding the ABs to hit 25-30 HR.

Not too high on Duffy, but excellent sleeper list. I love Wilkerson for this year, and will have him in every league.

:thumbup:

:blackdot:

I disagree on Baldelli and Beltre. But there's some good stuff here.

Why do you think Lowell's dropoff was steroid-induced but Beltre's wasn't? I personally think they were both juiced, and that Beltre's numbers this year will be much closer to last year's than to 2004's.

how will smoltz breakdown?

whats the guy have to do to make the doubters go away? become a yankee?

Great post.

What are your thought on Rolen?

Early reports out of camp are saying that his shoulder is fully healed. He's being drafted anywhere from the late 4th to early 6th round. Could be a stael there if the shoulder holds up.

Why do you think Lowell's dropoff was steroid-induced but Beltre's wasn't? I personally think they were both juiced, and that Beltre's numbers this year will be much closer to last year's than to 2004's.
Beltre was always considered a top prospect since he was a teenager. He never put it all together until his contract year. I think his 50 HR season was contract based and not steroid induced. I think he will return to 2003 form which is .300-30-100.Lowell was never a top prospect. Came out of nowhere to become a stud. Got testicular cancer. And dropped off BIG last year as his swing slowed down dramatically. All the signs point to steroids.

how will smoltz breakdown?

whats the guy have to do to make the doubters go away? become a yankee?
He started having problems late last year. He moved from starter to closer to avoid arm problems and they moved him back cuz they thought hed be able to hold up. But I just dont think he can.

Great post.

Early reports out of camp are saying that his shoulder is fully healed. He's being drafted anywhere from the late 4th to early 6th round. Could be a stael there if the shoulder holds up.
I have NEVER been a fan of Rolen. I always thought he was overrated but then he shut me up by having a monster MVP like season 2 years ago so Im the wrong person to ask. Otherwise Id say itll be awfully tough to come back from shoulder injury right away since hes a 3B. I think it takes him 1/2 season before he puts up solid #s.

Think you are right about Franceour his numbers weren't great a AA when he got called up and struggled at the end of last season. He simply DOES NOT WALK, at all- really a little disturbing, if he doesn't shape up he might not be around for long even with his defense. I'd say projected walks of under 10 a season at best equates to Rob Deere. He could be very good though. Might take him as a late round flier.

Anyone know what his ADP is?

Ryan Langerhans the other rookie outfilder for the Braves last season might be worth a look especially in NL only leagues. He really figured it out at the end of last season and might be the better player than Franceour.

Good call on Gagne. Just looking at his change in physical appearance from his days as a starter to the days as the greatest reliever in the game screams steroids use.

I bet Gagne is never the same again.

Another sleeper: Gerald Laird- was having a great rookie season 2 years ago before getting hurt. For some reason Buck has an infatuation with Rod Barajas but all indications are Laird may get the job with a good spring. He will be a perennial 300 hitter.

Beltre was always considered a top prospect since he was a teenager. He never put it all together until his contract year. I think his 50 HR season was contract based and not steroid induced. I think he will return to 2003 form which is .300-30-100.Lowell was never a top prospect. Came out of nowhere to become a stud. Got testicular cancer. And dropped off BIG last year as his swing slowed down dramatically. All the signs point to steroids.
Good points. Beltre looked really soft to me last year. But based on the knowledge you're flashing in this thread, I think I might end up trusting your instincts before my own come draft day. :thumbup:

Stay away from BARTOLO COLON

He's coming off of shoulder surgery and one of his best years ever. That has the makings of getting drafted higher than he should.

Stay away from BARTOLO COLON

He's coming off of shoulder surgery and one of his best years ever. That has the makings of getting drafted higher than he should.
Good one. And he has a tendency not to work hard enough.

Im drafting Curtis Granderson in all my leagues. He will easily beat out nook logan and is currently hitting close to .400 this spring...while it is limited at bats, he showed last year he could hit. He has 5 home runs this spring to go along with being 5/5 in sb attempts...could be a 5 tool asset...thoughts?

Im drafting Curtis Granderson in all my leagues. He will easily beat out nook logan and is currently hitting close to .400 this spring...while it is limited at bats, he showed last year he could hit. He has 5 home runs this spring to go along with being 5/5 in sb attempts...could be a 5 tool asset...thoughts?
Have they moved the fences in at Comerica (that the name of the new Tiger field?)?In a deeeeep mixed league or AL only league, Granderson should be valuable. In a normal mixed league, I'd pursue other options...Crisp, Sizemore come to mind, as up and comers.

The book on him was that he was too passive at the plate. You obviously want to be selective, but he would just stand there like a house on the side of the road when a good pitch came down. After he went to the minors, he came up and just started hacking. I'm afraid that when the pitchers adjust, he'll K a ton and not walk anymore and revert back to the AAAA player he really is.

Plus, he's having a very poor spring.

Great post.

I have NEVER been a fan of Rolen. I always thought he was overrated but then he shut me up by having a monster MVP like season 2 years ago so Im the wrong person to ask. Otherwise Id say itll be awfully tough to come back from shoulder injury right away since hes a 3B. I think it takes him 1/2 season before he puts up solid #s.
I got him in round 10 last night. :excited:

I've got Granderson on my radar, but I fear the price might be too high after he showed so well in spring. I don't see myself picking him before the sixth round, and I'm betting he'll be gone by then in my draft.Two other guys I'm curious about are Prince Fielder and Josh Barfield. Anybody got the goods?

Great post.

It is hard to judge the effect of the new ballpark as well. The Cards offense is very good, but the rumor is that the new stadium will suppress homers a little but add singles and doubles. Average won't be a factor, if anything it should help averages - but homers might be a little down.I am more worried about park effect than I am about the injury. He'll be good for 120-130 games, but will the power decrease be worth spending a high pick? If the price is right, though, I am all over Rolen this year.

One guy that is killing the ball in spring training is Ryan Howard.

Think NL version of David Ortiz.

Count on 40hrs + 110 rbis + .270 avg

Two other guys I'm curious about are Prince Fielder and Josh Barfield. Anybody got the goods?
can't help you with barfield...fielder will be the everyday 1st baseman for the brewers. he's young but the brewers thought enough of his progress in the minors to trade away a starter to make room for him. he's got power to boot (just like the old man) but he's prone to strikeouts and should probably have an adjustment period of three months before he starts to figure things out. the HR's will be there from day 1 (mid 20's to be conservative) but the OBP won't. the strikeouts might add up a bit the first half of the season as wellanother player to avoid: ben sheets. the guy just can't stay healthy and is likely to start the season on the DL

Two other guys I'm curious about are Prince Fielder and Josh Barfield. Anybody got the goods?
can't help you with barfield...fielder will be the everyday 1st baseman for the brewers. he's young but the brewers thought enough of his progress in the minors to trade away a starter to make room for him. he's got power to boot (just like the old man) but he's prone to strikeouts and should probably have an adjustment period of three months before he starts to figure things out. the HR's will be there from day 1 (mid 20's to be conservative) but the OBP won't. the strikeouts might add up a bit the first half of the season as well

another player to avoid: ben sheets. the guy just can't stay healthy and is likely to start the season on the DL
I had Sheets last year. No chance I take him this year. :hot:

A couple of guys that aren't high-profile that I'm trying to target (AL Only)

Joey Gathright TB OF - seems to have locked up a job with Huff playing well at 3rd. I traded for him in a couple leagues. Could be a cheap source of steals and provide a big value.

Jeremy Reed SEA OF - Is a much better hitter than last year. Should be a solid 4th or 5th OF'er with solid AVG and SB and will provide good value.

Ian Kinsler TEX - it appears he's locked up the 2B job and will be one of top 2B for years to come.

Juan Rivera - LAA - I like him as a cheap UT or DH spot. Has power and if he gets the PT he'll produce a solid value.

Bobby Crosby - OAK - SS - A bit more high profile but I want him on my teams. I hear he's looking good in Spring Training and he has big upside.

A couple pitchers: Erik Bedard (big upside but might not come cheap), Ted Lilly (rebound play), Kameron Loe, Scott Baker ....

Drafts are coming up next weekend so still much homework to do.

One guy that is killing the ball in spring training is Ryan Howard.

Think NL version of David Ortiz.

Count on 40hrs + 110 rbis + .270 avg
I had been targetting Howard since last year, but I think the secret is out on this guy and he will cost way more than I anticipated at auction. Prior to Spring training, I thought I could get him around $10-$11 in a 20 team mixed league 5x5 auction ($100 budget, not $260 so the price seems a little low I know). He has now vaulted into the $16-$18 range (that is around $32 for those in a $260 league).

Joey Gathright TB OF - seems to have locked up a job with Huff playing well at 3rd. I traded for him in a couple leagues. Could be a cheap source of steals and provide a big value.

Jeremy Reed SEA OF - Is a much better hitter than last year. Should be a solid 4th or 5th OF'er with solid AVG and SB and will provide good value.

Ian Kinsler TEX - it appears he's locked up the 2B job and will be one of top 2B for years to come.

Juan Rivera - LAA - I like him as a cheap UT or DH spot. Has power and if he gets the PT he'll produce a solid value.

Bobby Crosby - OAK - SS - A bit more high profile but I want him on my teams. I hear he's looking good in Spring Training and he has big upside.

A couple pitchers: Erik Bedard (big upside but might not come cheap), Ted Lilly (rebound play), Kameron Loe, Scott Baker ....

if my last 4 drafts are in any way accurate, all 4 of these will come cheap, Kameron Loe and Baker may come nearly for free.

Is Clemens getting drafted, and when?

I picked him up in round 14 last night - at that point, I figured, why not? Still looks like he's not going to play, though.

Joey Gathright TB OF - seems to have locked up a job with Huff playing well at 3rd.  I traded for him in a couple leagues.  Could be a cheap source of steals and provide a big value.

Jeremy Reed SEA OF - Is a much better hitter than last year.  Should be a solid 4th or 5th OF'er with solid AVG and SB and will provide good value.

Juan Rivera - LAA - I like him as a cheap UT or DH spot.  Has power and if he gets the PT he'll produce a solid value.

Bobby Crosby - OAK - SS - A bit more high profile but I want him on my teams.  I hear he's looking good in Spring Training and he has big upside.

A couple pitchers:  Erik Bedard (big upside but might not come cheap), Ted Lilly (rebound play), Kameron Loe, Scott Baker ....

if my last 4 drafts are in any way accurate, all 4 of these will come cheap, Kameron Loe and Baker may come nearly for free.
Bedard won't go cheap in my drafts (Baltimore area) but I'm hoping to get Baker and Loe as a couple $2 pitchers. I usually do a $190/$70 split (or lower than $70). Try to stock up on some cheap SP and anchor the WHIP/ERA with 3 MR's like Shields etc. I know a lot of folks do this strategy, tough part is finding those cheap pitchers that will contribute. I got lucky last year with a $2 Garland and $1 Chris Young.Couple others - Brandon McCarthy, Justin Verlander, Casey Fossum.

Stay away from:1) Eric Gagne- Coming off elbow surgery, steroid whispers last year. Id stay away. Danys Baez might be a good sleeper2) Mike Lowell- I am 90% certain this guys good years were based on steroid use. Im fairly certain last year was NOT a fluke and that he is done.3) Yankees starters- they all have WAY too many question marks. I expect a solid season from Johnson.4&5) Josh Beckett/AJ Burnett- Let someone else take these constant injury risks. They are probably getting drafted way too high.6) Alfonso Soriano- Numbers should dip with him being unhappy and playing in that stadium.7) Jarrod Washburn- Dont let his contract fool you.8) Jeff Fracouer- Im not convinced he will be a "star" as he was made out to be last year. I think the league will figure him out if they didnt already last year.9) John Smoltz- set for another breakdown.10) Todd Jones- old closers are riskyReady for a rebound:1) Curt Schilling- everything I read is hes good to go & that hes been having some sick workouts. hes determined after last year disappointing season.2) Frank Thomas- 11 HRs last year shows he still is a great hitter. Oakland has a solid lineup and hes set as the cleanup hitter, everyday DH.3) Roy Halladay- His broken leg is almost a nonfactor. STUD4) Kelvim Escobar- Has some of the fithiest stuff in the game and I think hes Anaheims best starter5) Rocco Baldelli- alot of people may have forgot about him.6) Zack Grienke- had a horrible season but has top notch stuff. I expect him to make a 180 this year.7) Carlos Pena- I have a feeling the last time he was sent down last year made him realize how hard he has to work to stay in the majors. I think he becomes a solid 1B this year and hits 280 with 25 HRs and 80 RBIs8) Steve Finley- Could be a good late round flyer. Right now is the backup but I expect him to see ALOT of time with Alou and Bonds very injury prone.9) Clint Barmes- Was having a monster season and got hurt. Playing in Coors means he should be a great option again.10) Adrain Beltre- Dont think hell ever hit 50 HRs again but I do think hes a very talented player that will put up solid #sSleepers:1) Brad Wilkerson- Always a good player, now could be a stud in Arlington2) Danny Haren- Almost as talented as Harden and Zito3) Mike Gonzalez- I think he is a future stud closer. I expect 30-40 saves this year depending how the Pirates do. Low WHIP 4) Danys Baez- Just in case Gagne isnt fully recovered5) Josh Towers- Solid pitcher for a solid team.6) Jason Davis- My deep sleeper to become a closer this year if Wickman falters or gets hurt which I expect. Has closer stuff.7) Jeremy Hermida- Should put up good offensive #s8) Chris Duffy- Put up great #s before getting hurt last year.9) JJ Hardy- Could be a top SS by the end of the year10) Khalil Greene- Dont forget about this future Stud
Some hits (Gagne, Burnett & F. Thomas) and some misses (Lowell & Pena)Whatcha got for 2007?

Stay away from:1) Eric Gagne- Coming off elbow surgery, steroid whispers last year. Id stay away. Danys Baez might be a good sleeper2) Mike Lowell- I am 90% certain this guys good years were based on steroid use. Im fairly certain last year was NOT a fluke and that he is done.3) Yankees starters- they all have WAY too many question marks. I expect a solid season from Johnson.4&5) Josh Beckett/AJ Burnett- Let someone else take these constant injury risks. They are probably getting drafted way too high.6) Alfonso Soriano- Numbers should dip with him being unhappy and playing in that stadium.7) Jarrod Washburn- Dont let his contract fool you.8) Jeff Fracouer- Im not convinced he will be a "star" as he was made out to be last year. I think the league will figure him out if they didnt already last year.9) John Smoltz- set for another breakdown.10) Todd Jones- old closers are riskyReady for a rebound:1) Curt Schilling- everything I read is hes good to go & that hes been having some sick workouts. hes determined after last year disappointing season.2) Frank Thomas- 11 HRs last year shows he still is a great hitter. Oakland has a solid lineup and hes set as the cleanup hitter, everyday DH.3) Roy Halladay- His broken leg is almost a nonfactor. STUD4) Kelvim Escobar- Has some of the fithiest stuff in the game and I think hes Anaheims best starter5) Rocco Baldelli- alot of people may have forgot about him.6) Zack Grienke- had a horrible season but has top notch stuff. I expect him to make a 180 this year.7) Carlos Pena- I have a feeling the last time he was sent down last year made him realize how hard he has to work to stay in the majors. I think he becomes a solid 1B this year and hits 280 with 25 HRs and 80 RBIs8) Steve Finley- Could be a good late round flyer. Right now is the backup but I expect him to see ALOT of time with Alou and Bonds very injury prone.9) Clint Barmes- Was having a monster season and got hurt. Playing in Coors means he should be a great option again.10) Adrain Beltre- Dont think hell ever hit 50 HRs again but I do think hes a very talented player that will put up solid #sSleepers:1) Brad Wilkerson- Always a good player, now could be a stud in Arlington2) Danny Haren- Almost as talented as Harden and Zito3) Mike Gonzalez- I think he is a future stud closer. I expect 30-40 saves this year depending how the Pirates do. Low WHIP 4) Danys Baez- Just in case Gagne isnt fully recovered5) Josh Towers- Solid pitcher for a solid team.6) Jason Davis- My deep sleeper to become a closer this year if Wickman falters or gets hurt which I expect. Has closer stuff.7) Jeremy Hermida- Should put up good offensive #s8) Chris Duffy- Put up great #s before getting hurt last year.9) JJ Hardy- Could be a top SS by the end of the year10) Khalil Greene- Dont forget about this future Stud
Some hits (Gagne, Burnett & F. Thomas) and some misses (Lowell & Pena)Whatcha got for 2007?
I actually think I did horrible on my predictions when looking back at it. Ill try to come up with some for 2007 by this afternoon but Im out of fantasy baseball for good (just dont find it enjoyable). But Im a HUGE baseball fan so Ill post some picks later.

Actually Id add Beckett, Burnett, Washburn, Francouer, Schilling, Halladay, Haren, & Gonzalez to the hits. Not as bad as I thought.

This thread has sufficiently scared me into ordering the Baseball Prospectus Guide. I can't put this #### off any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread