What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

11 Rookie WRs - Rest of Season (1 Viewer)

Captain Fantastic

Footballguy
Rookie WRs in order of NFL draft selection:

Drake London
Garrett Wilson
Chris Olave
Jameson Williams
Jahan Dotson
Treylon Burks
Christian Watson
Wan'Dale Robinson
George Pickens
Skyy Moore
Romeo Doubs

(Note that there were other WRs drafted after Wan'Dale Robinson and before Pickens/Moore/Doubs but choosing to leave them off this analysis)

Some have already shown a lot (first three above). Some remain at the starting gate. Jameson is still weeks away from anything.

Question - Who are the 3-4 guys in the above list you most want on your roster for the rest of the season?

Note that you might consider weekly production for the remainder of the season, or you might prefer to focus on who you believe will heat up in time for FF playoffs (two or three names from the bottom of the above list could be in contention there).

What say you?

(Explanations are appreciated.)

Pretty much order they were drafted, maybe move a guy up or down a slot here or there, (w/ exception of Williams who hasn't played). Guess those scouts know what they're doing, at least appears that way for this year anyway.

The real question for me is will Wilson score enough this year that he's worth bringing up from my ts and losing an extra year of team control.

It is sooo early to make any kind of long term predictions as there are a lot of really talented players. Would it shock me if Burks went out and had 8-87-2 in the next week or two? Not in the slightest.

For context…Amon Ra st brown thru the first 3 weeks last year had 6 catches for 43 yards. He ended up winning me a championship last year and this year people are calling him the next Kupp (I’d slow down on that as much as I love ASB). Point is that it’s so early in the year and so much can change.

Sure the top 4 look to be the top 4 because they performed the best over the first 2 weeks. I can pretty much guarantee you though that if you did thread in week 10 it would be totally different.

I like London and Dotson as tier 1. Wilson is slightly lower because I don’t trust his QB. I think 4th is Jameson Williams for me because the others haven’t shown yet and he’ll probably have the best opportunity once he’s back healthy.

It is sooo early to make any kind of long term predictions as there are a lot of really talented players. Would it shock me if Burks went out and had 8-87-2 in the next week or two? Not in the slightest.
Came here to say this.

Anytime people decide to start dunking on someone really quick, that player sometimes represent a bargain later.

For context…Amon Ra st brown thru the first 3 weeks last year had 6 catches for 43 yards. He ended up winning me a championship last year and this year people are calling him the next Kupp (I’d slow down on that as much as I love ASB). Point is that it’s so early in the year and so much can change.

Sure the top 4 look to be the top 4 because they performed the best over the first 2 weeks. I can pretty much guarantee you though that if you did thread in week 10 it would be totally different.

Totally agree but that's the basis of the question. We all know how well these guys performed the first two weeks of the season. The stats are in the books. The question relates to who you believe will have the ultimate value rest-of-season.

Last season, Amon-Ra represented very little value the first few weeks but was invaluable during the FF playoffs. For this year, I could see guys like Christian Watson or Skyy Moore in the same situation: limited value the first few weeks but - if they become trusted by their quality QBs (or if injury strikes their teammates) - really turning it on during the time that matters most.

This is basically a bold-prediction/plant-your-flag prognostication thread. Who do you think will hold that ultimate value rest of season? :-)

Best qb & best opportunity = Watson
I just don’t see him getting the targets the others will this year.

Maybe he won't get them but there's more targets available in that offense than the others. Most all those others are in low volume offenses or have too much competition for targets.
Sure and some (like Wilson) already getting them.
Just think GB is in spread it around mode almost all year.

Best qb & best opportunity = Watson
I just don’t see him getting the targets the others will this year.

Maybe he won't get them but there's more targets available in that offense than the others. Most all those others are in low volume offenses or have too much competition for targets.
This is kinda where I'm at with GB. I think Rodgers is just airing it around right now early, waiting for somebody to step up and grab the brass ring.

If somebody pops off with a 120, 150 yard game or grabs a clutch TD to win a game, I think that's going to be his new guy. He's just waiting to see who wants it.

Who's most likely on that WR corps and fits that profile for either of those things to happen? It's most likely Watson. Doubs, perhaps. Lazard had a game like that once or twice, but that was also with Davante eating up attention.

Last season, Amon-Ra represented very little value the first few weeks but was invaluable during the FF playoffs. For this year, I could see guys like Christian Watson or Skyy Moore in the same situation: limited value the first few weeks but - if they become trusted by their quality QBs (or if injury strikes their teammates) - really turning it on during the time that matters most.
Skyy does seem like an interesting second half of year prospect. Juju/MVS/Hardman are not exactly setting the world on fire thus far. While it might not matter as long as Mahomes is producing with the collective unit, perhaps at some point Skyy is given some reps to see what he can do.

There's a path for a lot of the rookies to be difference makers down the stretch, when it really counts. The 3 that seem easiest to predict that haven't popped yet (at least for me):
Olave: great usage downfield so far and only a matter of time before he stops tripping and fumbling on would be long TDs
Burks: gets targets and catches at a great rate when on the field, but seems to be getting the same "tough love, gotta make the star rookie earn it" treatment AJB got as a rookie. It took Vrabel until the 2nd half of the season to make AJB a starter too iirc, even though he was showing out on limited snaps.
David Bell: snaps increased week 2, and the offense changes a lot when Watson comes back mostlikely.

Moore and Watson are good candidates too playing with top QBs, but might both need an injury to get on the field. Pickens is on the field, but hard to get targets when Diontae is always the first one open. Maybe Pickett looks his way more than trubisky once he's in.

London and Dotson are tier 1 for me, followed by Wilson in tier 2 with potential to move up to tier 1, I don't trust the qb situation and he might take a step back with Wilson coming back. Williams is tier 3 but can quickly rise up the ranks with how soon he comes back. Burks and Olave are also tier 3 to me.

Funny how all the hype preseason was on George Pickens and Skyy Moore and they seem to be in the worst spots currently with all the depth their teams have.

Christian Watson has 2 of the Top 20 ‘Fastest Ball Carriers” plays in the NFL right now
20.82mph (10th, 7-yard rush at Vikings)
20.60mph (16th, 9-yard catch vs Bears)

It's coming. I predict a long pass play for a TD in next 2 games - and the rookie wr rankings will change

For me......

Drake London - seems to be Mariota's only target focus at the moment.

Garrett Wilson - I'd bump him to tier one if Flacco was the starter. No clue what his target share will look like with Z. Wilson
Chris Olave - Thomas is better/healthier than expected and Juice still has life so it limits his production

Christian Watson - Kid looks electric but needs more targets
Jahan Dotson - Locked in #2 that has performed well with limited targets

Jameson Williams - no clue when he'll return
George Pickens - only 6 targets and 2 catches. Not this year without injury and Mitch gone. Johnson, Claypool, Harris, the Muth all competing for targets.
Treylon Burks - kid has the skills but the Tenn offense is a mess right now.

With that said, I truly think its a little too early to pass judgment because any player listed above could be a huge fantasy asset at any point this season.

Wan'Dale Robinson
Skyy Moore
Romeo Doubs

Olave looked as though he and Jameis are close to being on the same page this past Sunday. Jameis missed most of the preseason and has the back fractures. Once he’s healthy, that chemistry is only going to get better in that offense.

Last edited:
Rookie WR are a big no-no for me in redraft, they are way too inconsistent week-to-week. But Garrett Wilson is changing the rules for me. I had him pegged as elite as a freshman and he was my top WR throughout the draft process despite the QB situation. If a QB stinks he'll get replaced in the NFL but you can't hold down elite talent for too long.

Dynasty for me:
Garrett Wilson - elite AB level talent, all he needs is a semi-competent QB. Flacco is, and if Wilson isn't at least that they'll move on quickly.
Chris Olave - basing this mostly on past performance, he's just really really good
Drake London - I didn't want to believe, but I might just have to.
Jameson Williams - elite physical talent with huge upside, QB playing well. Will ARSB be a true alpha?
George Pickens - might flip him with Williams but PIT isn't just going to cast Chase aside.
Treylon Burks - QB play stinks now but the physical talent is there. Physical talent always manifests eventually.
Jahan Dotson - I don't think the offense is big enough to sustain his pace and I'm not convinced he can keep up the pace
Christian Watson - good candidate in a loaded class
Skyy Moore - this felt like a CEH hype train from day one.

Romeo Doubs

Wan'Dale Robinson

Top tier (based on eye test and targets)

Chris Olave - best combination of opportunity and talent
Garrett Wilson - seems the most explosive, but Zach could still bring him down a bit
Drake London - very talented, but not quite as consistently at the top of the pecking order

Wild Card

Jameson Williams - this Lions offense has proven to be explosive and putting him in the mix could reap big rewards, though they have a lot of mouths to feed.

Trending up

George Pickens - great talent, QB change seems like it will help him.
Romeo Doubs - gaining target share and Rodgers' trust

Wait and see

Skyy Moore - at least a little bit more involved last game...KC figuring the offense out, though again may be too many mouths to feed.

Trending down

Christian Watson (injury/down in depth chart) - seems low in the pecking order right now
Jahan Dotson (injury) - was somewhat inconsistent in usage anyway
Treylon Burks (injury) - looked ok, but not huge volume in that offense overall
Wan'Dale Robinson (injury) - who knows what will happen with that offense

Good list, but Wandale has got to be strongly in the wildcard tier imo. Lots of opportunity there and he's the new staff's guy. I don't think he's trending down for redraft unless you think he'll be out a good while longer.

Good list, but Wandale has got to be strongly in the wildcard tier imo. Lots of opportunity there and he's the new staff's guy. I don't think he's trending down for redraft unless you think he'll be out a good while longer.
fair, though he hasn't practiced since getting injured in the first game, so I'm skeptical of his recovery. I would agree that he has a wide range of outcomes other than that.

Wild Card

Jameson Williams - this Lions offense has proven to be explosive and putting him in the mix could reap big rewards, though they have a lot of mouths to feed.

Based on today’s comments from MCDC I’d speculate Week 9 vs GB for the debut. Maybe Week 8 vs MIA. Meaning they’ll maybe start the 3 week practice window Week 7.

Not a single mention of Tyquan Thornton. He returned to practice today for NE. He flashed a lot during the preseason before getting hurt. Not a lot of top talent on the Patriots. He may be able to carve out a role.

I'm warry of Wilson-Wilson. On record as being aint Zach, and I just don't know if he can feed more than one WR a week there.

Not a single mention of Tyquan Thornton. He returned to practice today for NE. He flashed a lot during the preseason before getting hurt. Not a lot of top talent on the Patriots. He may be able to carve out a role.
After watching him in preseason I grabbed him in the one league he was available.
I was able to acquire him in the other 2 when impatient owners dropped him. I liked what I saw in the preseason.
Dynasty leagues btw

Kyle Phillips is worth a look see.
He's been banged up, and he's small, but he's Wes Welker 2.0
That being said, Olave and Wilson are the creme de le creme of this class.
Problem is Wilson plays for the Jets.

I'm jumping on board the Alec Pierce train. 2nd rounder, starting to see more targets on a team desperate for pass catchers to emerge. With JT on the shelf, I think Ryan opens it up tonight and Pierce is a household name in the fantasy world tomorrow.

I'm jumping on board the Alec Pierce train. 2nd rounder, starting to see more targets on a team desperate for pass catchers to emerge. With JT on the shelf, I think Ryan opens it up tonight and Pierce is a household name in the fantasy world tomorrow.
I was going to post about Pierce breaking out tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread