What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

$12,000-a-ticket luxury Fyre Festival in Bahamas descends into a Lord of the Flies dystopia (1 Viewer)

The biggest self-admitted **** move from anyone was the asian dude who admitted to vandalizing other tents and #### when the initial free for all happened.   What would motivate you to do something like that??  WTF

The biggest self-admitted **** move from anyone was the asian dude who admitted to vandalizing other tents and #### when the initial free for all happened.   What would motivate you to do something like that??  WTF
People seem to be really hung up on this.  Talk about forest for trees.

Capella said:
If you think about it, the most amazing scam Billy pulled off was getting people to pay a 250 dollar annual fee for a card that was literally the same as the user’s Wells Fargo or Chase card. Can you imagine how stupid you have to be to pay 250 bucks for something you already have? How did he even get one person to do this?
The card allowed them to get invites to "exclusive" Manhattan parties, penthouse access, etc.  Lots of money on that island in the hands of kids who just want to be cool.  Kind of like a hipster Amex black or something.  I can definitely see why it gained traction.  

I work with one of these Einstein millennials. Dude might make 80k.  Drives a sick bmw.  The ##### nozzle kicker?  He changed the magnetic strip on his platinum Amex card, to be his work swipe card. So that everyone would know that he has a platinum Amex. He requested a 2nd card from Amex, just for this purpose. 

I work with one of these Einstein millennials. Dude might make 80k.  Drives a sick bmw.  The ##### nozzle kicker?  He changed the magnetic strip on his platinum Amex card, to be his work swipe card. So that everyone would know that he has a platinum Amex. He requested a 2nd card from Amex, just for this purpose. 
Actually Amex will let you do this for free. They have for some time. 

It's somewhat smart as the card will afford you lots of benefits travelling. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this with my Diners Club card...yknow, to show the ladies at the office I am a man of culture.

The card allowed them to get invites to "exclusive" Manhattan parties, penthouse access, etc.  Lots of money on that island in the hands of kids who just want to be cool.  Kind of like a hipster Amex black or something.  I can definitely see why it gained traction.  
For people who don't have friends? Is that what this culture is about? Seems ####tier than I initially thought.

Seems like a total ##### move.  Who does this?

General Malaise said:
And y'all bagging on millennials for being so dumb to fall for this crap are forgetting that we have generations and generations of people handing their money over to televangelists and other  religious wackadoos who live large on the hard earned dollars of dolts.  I mean, good lord...Pat Robertson is worth $100 Million.  He blamed Hurricane Katrina on abortion.   
We have a lot of stupid people in this country but Kendall Jenner is what people are aspiring to right now.  I dont want to hear about any of these idiots any more.  If some dumb millennial is following Kendall Jenner as an influencer, they deserve to have everything they own taken from them.

Kendall Jenner is rich, I hope she gave some money back to the people that worked and didnt get paid in the Bahamas, least she can do.

Actually Amex will let you do this for free. They have for some time. 

It's somewhat smart as the card will afford you lots of benefits travelling. 
Wut? 

Amex encourages you to change what they imprint on the magnetic strip, and to repurpose it however you want?  I must have missed that ad campaign.  And I’m not sure what benefits my coworker will get while traveling. Maybe he’ll be able yo clock in somewhere exotic?

Wut? 

Amex encourages you to change what they imprint on the magnetic strip, and to repurpose it however you want?  I must have missed that ad campaign.  And I’m not sure what benefits my coworker will get while traveling. Maybe he’ll be able yo clock in somewhere exotic?
Encourage is not the right word.  It's just an odd perk.  

GMA talking about this now.  They are saying "influencers" might be on the hook in the future for failures like this.

Interesting take.

GMA talking about this now.  They are saying "influencers" might be on the hook in the future for failures like this.

Interesting take.
If by interesting you mean stupid then I totally agree.  Swindling is not a new thing.  People in every generation prior fell for scams.  People in older generations continue to fall for scams - albeit substantially different than this one.  The type of scam just changes.  Stupid people doing stupid things and falling for whatever the scam of the day is for their target market doesn't.  If you're looking around the room and can't spot the sucker then you're it - and someone's gonna take advantage of you.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
Max Power said:
What if I can attach Steven Seagal to the project?
True story, I just watched (sort of anyway, it was on and I didn't change the channel) ABOVE THE LAW yesterday.

running list:
9 bucks for Ja Rule.

zero cents for Major Lazor , sorry @Officer Pete Malloy

4 bucks for Steven Segal.  with a few exceptions   I'd be willing to go a lot higher if:

1. Sensei is in session and he pulls Anderson Silva or Lyoto Machida along.  
  2.  if anyone finds the video where Gene Labell choked out Segal,  and Segal subsequently #### in his pants.   
not sure how this affects your rankings

Interesting take.
the netflix doc went very quickly over something that I thought said Influencers had to post #advertising when they were getting paid for something (like this). that at least allows nimrods to see that bob hope's granddaughter isn't just posting about Arby's because she likes hanging out there.

the netflix doc went very quickly over something that I thought said Influencers had to post #advertising when they were getting paid for something (like this). that at least allows nimrods to see that bob hope's granddaughter isn't just posting about Arby's because she likes hanging out there.
This seems to be very loosely done. Even the smoking hot one they had on the ####ty 737 is still constantly posting crap with nothing of the sort.  Most of the influencers I follow (because yoga pants thread is RIP) do nothing but sell stuff, but it is not made so obvious as to tag advertisement, like ever.   Take @HelenOwen for example, smoking hot IG influencer, she posts nothing and I mean nothing but ads and never tags it like that.

This seems to be very loosely done. Even the smoking hot one they had on the ####ty 737 is still constantly posting crap with nothing of the sort.  Most of the influencers I follow (because yoga pants thread is RIP) do nothing but sell stuff, but it is not made so obvious as to tag advertisement, like ever.   Take @HelenOwen for example, smoking hot IG influencer, she posts nothing and I mean nothing but ads and never tags it like that.
fwiw- I thought it said the #advertising thing was an upshot/result of the fyre festival, not predating it. but I'll admit I know nothing about hashtags and influencers- just trying to remember what I saw on the doc.

fwiw- I thought it said the #advertising thing was an upshot/result of the fyre festival, not predating it. but I'll admit I know nothing about hashtags and influencers- just trying to remember what I saw on the doc.
I think this is what GMA was referencing this morning.  Instagram influencers should be posting #ad if they are paid, but it isn't illegal not to.  I'm not very hip on the social media marketing game, but it sounds like some more regulations may be coming.

I think if you are essentially being paid to be famous and making posts that millions of people follow, you should have some level or accountability or post a disclaimer. 

Yes, she required them to wire her cash directly. Smart lady.
The article I read said the modelling agency IMG received over $1mil, and issued tweets/posts from a half-dozen or so of their  model.  They did a photo shoot on an island, although that might have been generic stock, not specifically tied to this island or this event.  The Kardashian girl of course has her own social  media company, which received I think $275k.  There were a few others. It should be obvious, just like top  athletes and others (with one obvious exception), these models aren't actually posting these things themselves. They probably never even saw the tweets/posts.  These agencies and some of the individuals will certainly be deposed, if not named as defendants, in the civil class action lawsuit.

I think this is what GMA was referencing this morning.  Instagram influencers should be posting #ad if they are paid, but it isn't illegal not to.  I'm not very hip on the social media marketing game, but it sounds like some more regulations may be coming.

I think if you are essentially being paid to be famous and making posts that millions of people follow, you should have some level or accountability or post a disclaimer. 
At the same time, its almost as if we're just accepting how stupid and ignorant we've become if this becomes the law.  Its like forcing the Tide detergent company to  put a disclaimer on their packaging warning kids not to eat the pods.  I remember reading many years ago that Tiger Woods' outfits were planned by Nike months in advance.  They knew the exact pants/shirt/hat/glove combo he would be wearing at each event on the calendar for the entire season, so they could coordinate their marketing and shipping schedules to coincide with these events.  Anytime you see a recognizable product, or even category of products, on television or in social media, movies, etc., you have to realize it is part of a marketing program.

The article I read said the modelling agency IMG received over $1mil, and issued tweets/posts from a half-dozen or so of their  model.  They did a photo shoot on an island, although that might have been generic stock, not specifically tied to this island or this event.  The Kardashian girl of course has her own social  media company, which received I think $275k.  There were a few others. It should be obvious, just like top  athletes and others (with one obvious exception), these models aren't actually posting these things themselves. They probably never even saw the tweets/posts.  These agencies and some of the individuals will certainly be deposed, if not named as defendants, in the civil class action lawsuit.
But why?  They did their job.  They just showed up and lended their name to the event.  As far as I can tell none of the models were bookable through the app, and I think the netflix show went so far as to highlight this fact at least for a few of them.

One could argue (easily) that they were paid to promote the app as much as the festival. 

It's a long way to go to show liability/damages for promoting something with a simple executed ad buy.  Can you point to a single spokesperson that has been sued and lost in this way?

Interesting take.
In many cases, influencers are required to add "sponsored' or 'promotional' to their post if they are getting paid for the placement. I'm fine with that. If you get burned after buying something 'just because' someone else was paid to do/wear/say it, then that's on you. 

At the same time, its almost as if we're just accepting how stupid and ignorant we've become if this becomes the law.
This world has a bunch of dumb disclaimers on products already.  I don't think what Jenner did was all that bad. She was paid to provide a marketing service and had no idea the guys running the show were incompetent or corrupt.  I just think maybe the law should start to figure out the way ahead for the future of "Influence marketing". 

Hypothetically if a celebrity posts on instagram they use this amazing product (that they have never actually tried) and it kills people, is there or should there be some liability?

Wouldn't an "influencer" getting that kind of money have a legal goon protecting them from just such an incident? Promoters are a notoriously douchey lot, so I know I would want iron-clad protection from any of their buggery.

At the same time, its almost as if we're just accepting how stupid and ignorant we've become if this becomes the law.  Its like forcing the Tide detergent company to  put a disclaimer on their packaging warning kids not to eat the pods.  I remember reading many years ago that Tiger Woods' outfits were planned by Nike months in advance.  They knew the exact pants/shirt/hat/glove combo he would be wearing at each event on the calendar for the entire season, so they could coordinate their marketing and shipping schedules to coincide with these events.  Anytime you see a recognizable product, or even category of products, on television or in social media, movies, etc., you have to realize it is part of a marketing program.
I agree with all of that.

I do seem to recall the promo video, or at least the doc (hard to tell the difference between the two when they were showing the video and shoot) filmed these girls actively posting tweets about fyre and/or the festival. did I recall that wrong? I do agree that for the most part, this isn't the case- they have their team generating stuff for them. but here- part of the allure of the promo video was that these girls appeared to be just hanging out, tweeting... doing the normal stuff normal people do when we're not getting paid to party for days in the bahamas.

We have much bigger problems to deal with than regulating stupid people making stupid decisions because someone "advertised" what ended up being a scam.  Don't want to be scammed?  Then don't make stupid decisions.  

We have a lot of stupid people in this country but Kendall Jenner is what people are aspiring to right now.  I dont want to hear about any of these idiots any more.  If some dumb millennial is following Kendall Jenner as an influencer, they deserve to have everything they own taken from them.

Kendall Jenner is rich, I hope she gave some money back to the people that worked and didnt get paid in the Bahamas, least she can do.
NarratorShe did not.

I do seem to recall the promo video, or at least the doc (hard to tell the difference between the two when they were showing the video and shoot) filmed these girls actively posting tweets about fyre and/or the festival. did I recall that wrong? I do agree that for the most part, this isn't the case- they have their team generating stuff for them. but here- part of the allure of the promo video was that these girls appeared to be just hanging out, tweeting... doing the normal stuff normal people do when we're not getting paid to party for days in the bahamas.
funny thing is that these girls were promoting a party that didnt even happen yet. So its not like they were posting pictures of them dancing in the front row with a huge band behind them, or partying with 1000's of people, or anything else related to the festival. Its not like they were advertising some swanky hotel and then when people got there, it was a foreclosed motel 6. 

All they were advertising were hot girls > island life > we love to party. IDK how they can be held accountable? 

I too wondered about Ja Rule's culpability in all of this.  In the end, did the Netflix doc outline that he rebranded Fyre in to something else (ICon or something like it - odd choice in name)?  Would this new venture (and any future profits) be subject to completed or pending litigation?  It just seems odd he gets to move on and profit.  Whereas, if the technology has value, it would seem this could be sold to compensate those who have sued and won or have pending litigation.  Did some of the Fyre programmers (who got jobbed huge in this whole thing) get the chance to move on to the new venture?  And, did this include the two guys who somehow allowed Billy to run up $250K and $150K on their personal AMEX Cards?  I tried to Goggle up the rest of the story stuff, but couldn't find anything.

I too wondered about Ja Rule's culpability in all of this.  In the end, did the Netflix doc outline that he rebranded Fyre in to something else (ICon or something like it - odd choice in name)?  Would this new venture (and any future profits) be subject to completed or pending litigation?  It just seems odd he gets to move on and profit.  Whereas, if the technology has value, it would seem this could be sold to compensate those who have sued and won or have pending litigation.  Did some of the Fyre programmers (who got jobbed huge in this whole thing) get the chance to move on to the new venture?  And, did this include the two guys who somehow allowed Billy to run up $250K and $150K on their personal AMEX Cards?  I tried to Goggle up the rest of the story stuff, but couldn't find anything.
I noticed that too :lmao:   perfect name, IMO.

funny thing is that these girls were promoting a party that didnt even happen yet. So its not like they were posting pictures of them dancing in the front row with a huge band behind them, or partying with 1000's of people, or anything else related to the festival. Its not like they were advertising some swanky hotel and then when people got there, it was a foreclosed motel 6. 

All they were advertising were hot girls > island life > we love to party. IDK how they can be held accountable? 
totally. aside from my disliking the whole tweet/instagram/celebrity thing, I don't think these girls did anything wrong. they were hired to go do this promo video shoot- which turned into a 24/7 party and shoot so the billy guy could hang and party with the girls. by all accounts at the time, why wouldn't they believe what they were being paid a ton for something that would actually happen as described by the con man? and why wouldn't they tweet/insta about it while they were partying?  that's what people do now, right? live their life to show other people how they're living their life? and even though they were in the shoot that showed a different island than the final location- I don't see how that's their fault at all. I feel sorry for those superdupermodels.... poor things.

I mean the one thing I learned is you can make 2 dozen of the top supermodels show up for a lot less money than I would have thought. 

just watched the Netflix one. Pretty hilarious. Reminded me of something that happened to my friends and I like 10 years ago. Went to one of those pre-paid New Years eve parties at a really cool spot in DC. Waited outside in the rain for like an hour to get in. Turned out they'd oversold the parties by like 4x and they were out of booze by like 9:30. The half-dozen hired bartenders abandoned their posts and it became a total free for all. People climbing over the bar drinking the last drops from empty bottles, bros scaling the walls trying to get to the up-stairs "VIP area". Total scam run by a poor man's Billy who was apparently a student at Georgetown at the time.

So this was like that, if we had to pay $20K, fly to the Bahamas and sleep in tents.

Hard to feel bad for anyone involved besides the locals. The dumb "kids" (how old was that one dude who won the $5 million settlement? If he has that much money to burn, he probably should spend it on some hairplugs)  that attended lost money they could probably afford to lose (an expensive lesson) and I can't really shed a tear for anyone who tweets for a living. (the other employees at Billy's company who probably should have done the right thing and bailed/informed the public when they saw what the inevitable resuslt).

Capella said:
If you think about it, the most amazing scam Billy pulled off was getting people to pay a 250 dollar annual fee for a card that was literally the same as the user’s Wells Fargo or Chase card. Can you imagine how stupid you have to be to pay 250 bucks for something you already have? How did he even get one person to do this?
 And you have to carry around a piece of ####### metal in your pants.
And now the card doesn’t work at all because I don’t see Billy being able to duplicate the imbedded chip. But hey! I have a metal rectangular card with my name on it!1!

Watched the netflix doc. What a train wreck. I just love that Billy got bailed out and immediately launched into his next scam. Prison is a great deterrent.

Also, the shark move for Kylie Jenner, since she is worth almost a billion dollars, is to donate money to the locals for the work they did, and be the good Jenner sister as opposed to her sister Kendall (because Kendall got paid for tweeting, not Kylie, right?)

What in the hell was he doing allowing people to film him running his next scam BTW?  I mean he was openly flaunting how bull#### it was for a camera.

What in the hell was he doing allowing people to film him running his next scam BTW?  I mean he was openly flaunting how bull#### it was for a camera.
that was bizarre. I assume it was the camera guy interviewed at the end... and I assume he was doing it mostly on the DL- because billy and the other shyster from the second scam seemed to immediately shut him down when they saw he was filming them in the act.

Users who are viewing this thread