What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1977 - Part II A New Hope DONE- Top 10 Sex Pistols, Meco, Rocky, Kraftwerk, Saints, Marvin Gaye, JM Jarre, Stranglers, John Williams & Stevie Wonder (1 Viewer)

#107 - Hot - Angel in Your Arms
#10 out of 10 - Black

Sometimes an artist has only one moment. Such is the case here. My research on this song is minimal, but it could have had a Charlie’’s Angels boost with that TV show mega successful at the time.
The second search on youtube has an official music video featuring scenes of Charlies Angels.
Anyway, this is a pleasant song that could have easily been excluded, but I like it. So here we are.
This song was on a K-Tel album of Various Artists I had in the 70s. I still remember all of the lyrics.

#106 - The Congos - (Row) Fisherman
#12 out of #12 International

This is the first assist on my list. As im not that familiar with Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Roots and world music, but felt it was important that it receive representation on this list as it was a key year on that front. i found someone who could help. Maybe they wish to chime in with some notes on this one. It was my least fave on his list, but its an interesting listen nonetheless.

#105 - Generation X - Your Generation
#18 out of 18 - New Wave

Billy Idol first appeared as singer for this wannabe punk band. They were derided by other punk acts as middle class kids trying to join in on the movement. They werent as successful as they thought they would be. Mr Idol was made of sterner stuff though. After three disappointing albums with Gen(eration) X, Idol took Dancing with Myself as a band song for himself to launch his US rebirth. Tony James went on to be the driving force of media hype band Sigue Sigue Sputnik, while guitarist Bob Derwood Andrews scored a hit with Westworld and Sonic Boom Boy in the late 80s. This song tries to be an anthem. Doesnt really work, but its an interesting sidenote to 1977.

#107 - Hot - Angel in Your Arms
#10 out of 10 - Black

Sometimes an artist has only one moment. Such is the case here. My research on this song is minimal, but it could have had a Charlie’’s Angels boost with that TV show mega successful at the time.
The second search on youtube has an official music video featuring scenes of Charlies Angels.
Anyway, this is a pleasant song that could have easily been excluded, but I like it. So here we are.
This song was on a K-Tel album of Various Artists I had in the 70s. I still remember all of the lyrics.
That group was aptly-named, too. The youtube still-photo doesn't do them justice.

#106 - The Congos - (Row) Fisherman
#12 out of #12 International

This is the first assist on my list. As im not that familiar with Jazz, Jazz Fusion, Roots and world music, but felt it was important that it receive representation on this list as it was a key year on that front. i found someone who could help. Maybe they wish to chime in with some notes on this one. It was my least fave on his list, but its an interesting listen nonetheless.
I provided the assist on this one. I’m not a huge reggae fan, but I do enjoy the harmonies and melodies of the Congos. I think the lyrics are also deeper than I usually associate reggae with. Their “Heart of the Congos” albums can be found on various lists of the best reggae albums of all-time, and often referred to as the masterpiece of its producer, Scratch Perry.

I suggested “Fisherman” to JML because I viewed it as representative of the album and probably the most recognizable song by The Congos (the song was recently featured in the movie, Nope). I do think the album is good overall (Open Up the Gate another favorite of mine on that album).

#104 - Peter Allen - I Go To Rio
#10 out of 10 - Australia

The story of Peter Allen is fascinatimg. Growing up in a remote country Australian town, his father an ex WWII survivor who committed suicide when Allen was aged 14. He moved to a bigger coastal town and began singing and dancing as part of the Allen brothers. Judy Garland discovered them in Hong Kong, took them to Vegas where Garland herself set him up with her daughter, Liza Minelli. Allen was engaged at age 20 to Minelli and finally married. He had a complicated sexuality and found a male partner soon after. He was an excellent songwriter and wrote Olivia Newton Johns massive hit I Honestly Love You, was a frequent collaborator with Carole Bayer-Sager writing Don’t Cry Out Loud and once in that family composing with Burt Bacharach was a given. They co wrote Arthurs Theme, the 1981 Oscar winner. He wrote an unofficial Australian anthem, I Still Call Australia Home which is a song expats just love to sing when with other aussies. He died in 1990 from Aids complication.
Such a story was turned into a musical, the Boy Next Door. A young Aussie actor, singer and dancer with promise took on the lead role. Wolverine himself Hugh Jackman who won many theatre awards for his performance and propelled it into a Hollywood career.

This song was one of only 2 hits he had under his own name in Australia. Even the unofficial anthem wasnt a hit. This song was sung by Pablo Cruise a year or two later who had a minor US hit with it.

#103 - Munich Machine - Get on the Funk Train
#7 out of 7 - Disco

This is a song that came out of nowhere while compiling the list. I noticed it on a couple of internet lists while doing research and enjoyed it considerably. It wasn’t a hit that I could find, nor is there much information on the artist available, so im flying a bit blind on this one. Not revolutionary or anything, but builds nicely and is quite fun.

#7 out of 7 - Disco

This is a song that came out of nowhere while compiling the list. I noticed it on a couple of internet lists while doing research and enjoyed it considerably. It wasn’t a hit that I could find, nor is there much information on the artist available, so im flying a bit blind on this one. Not revolutionary or anything, but builds nicely and is quite fun.
Interesting artist in their style. The one stilI remember is this cover of a Procol Harum song.

#102 - The Police - Fall Out
#17 out of 18 - New Wave

The next Police single would break them in a big way....Roxanne, but this was their first release. Rough around the edges, it is hard to see how they became superstars from this, but it is also easy to see how they did. It is full of energy and disappeared in amongst a million punk songs released at the time. The musicianship was notable to a certain Mick Jagger who of all things had this in his pile when he was reviewing the weekly batch of new singles for a UK music magazine. Meant nothing to him, but he said enough to give the band the confidence they needed to move forward.

#7 out of 7 - Disco

Never heard this before, but it’s quite good. Tried to learn about the artist on Wiki, but they don’t have a page. Guess they were always truly obscure/off the radar.

Boys, boys! You're all pretty! Except for JML's avatar, that is.

But really! Pretty much the prettiest!

Thanks, I don't even know what they're arguing about. :lol:
I am wondering why Hall and Oates aren’t as revered as they should be given their longevity of success. As a means to explaining it I mentioned their albums werent as big a seller as their singles or their peers. I wondered why an artist of their stature didnt have a #1 album, with theirhighest ranking being #3 and onky 3 top 10 albums. This compared to 6 #1 singles and 16 top 10 singles.
To me thats an oddity that i am trying to rationalize.

Pips is saying they are revered and do have a lasting impact.. Too many superstars had albums out to edge them out of the #1 slot. Nothing wrong with being seen as a singles artist, but they had good albums.

He could be right and I could be wrong. I am trying to think of other artists who have a similar resume and i am coming up short. Most artists perceived as being singles artists dont have their longevity.
Hall and Oates became a hit singles machine because they're really good songwriters. But they had no marketing hook. They started out as Philly soul revivalists, transitioned into top 40 pop, but they really didn't ride any popular genre in their heyday. They had a loyal fanbase, but they didn't have a broader genre specific community to push them over the hump vs. the acts that were top of the charts consequent with their biggest singles and albums. They weren't top notch heartthrobs. They were'nt *** holes who got their names in the papers for their behavior or relationships. So their success was really based on the strength of the songs themselves. The late 70's and 80's were pretty unforgiving if you didn't have more than that to sell on.

I appreciate them more now than I did then because they are such good songwriters, great vocalists, with great backing musicians, even if some of their stuff sounds and feels disposable at first blush, a lot of it isn't. And even if it is, the craftmanship makes it great. Still, that's not going to get you to #1 repeatedly. You need more than that, and they just didn't have "it" to the extent their top contemporary competitors did.

#102 - The Police - Fall Out
#17 out of 18 - New Wave

The next Police single would break them in a big way....Roxanne, but this was their first release. Rough around the edges, it is hard to see how they became superstars from this, but it is also easy to see how they did. It is full of energy and disappeared in amongst a million punk songs released at the time. The musicianship was notable to a certain Mick Jagger who of all things had this in his pile when he was reviewing the weekly batch of new singles for a UK music magazine. Meant nothing to him, but he said enough to give the band the confidence they needed to move forward.
Hate it. :-)

Trivia for some - Andy Summers did not play on this track, and was not yet in the band when it was recorded. The guitarist is Henri Padovani (Sting calls him out prior to the guitar solo). Soon after, Summers forced his way into the band (which subsequently forced poor Henri out), bringing his particular style to the band, without which the Police would not have sounded like the Police.

I like the B-side (Nothing Achieving) too. Of course I do.

Teaser time
Tomorrow we will see the first song from the Soundtrack/Instrumental category
We will see the second song from the International category and the third song from New Wave

It may be the biggest mixed bag of three we will have. I doubt anyone in the history of this planet has heard these 3 songs on the same day, let alone within the same hour.

One is very well known, but probably not expected to appear here
One is known to a few but most wont have heard it.
The third was much anticipated, but ultimately disappointed almost all its listeners

#101 - The Muppets - Mahna Mahna
#6 out of 6 Soundtrack/Instrumentals

This song has a storied history. Released by Italiam Piero Umiliani in 1968 as Mah Na Mah Na it quickly became a minor hit around the world. Because of its quirky nature and humor it found its way onto many TV shows soon after, Red Skelton, Benny Hill and the Muppets who performed it on the Ed Sullivan show. It then became kind of dormant until the Muppet Show became a huge hit in 1976. Mahna Mahna was a key part of the first episode. With the Muppet show flying high, a Soundtrack was released in 1977 and the Muppets version of Mahna Mahna finally became available. By now the original Piero Umiliani version had been a top 10 hit in the UK on the back of the Muppet Show being a global phenomenom

#100 - Miguel De Deus - Black Soul Brothers
#11 out of 12 - International

Our second assist on the list. This is quite an interesting number. I cannot get the Fatboy Slim “Funk Soul Brother” lyric from Rockefeller Skank out of my mind though. My problem, but this Brazilian artist and song has a lot of positives. The backing is phenomenal, the horns, the grunting and groove. The female vocalists repeitively singing Black Soul Brothers is a little grating and doesnt match the intensity of the backing. Worth its place here as we start the top 100.

#100 - Miguel De Deus - Black Soul Brothers
#11 out of 12 - International

Our second assist on the list. This is quite an interesting number. I cannot get the Fatboy Slim “Funk Soul Brother” lyric from Rockefeller Skank out of my mind though. My problem, but this Brazilian artist and song has a lot of positives. The backing is phenomenal, the horns, the grunting and groove. The female vocalists repeitively singing Black Soul Brothers is a little grating and doesnt match the intensity of the backing. Worth its place here as we start the top 100.
I provided the assist on this one.… this was from Miguel de Deus’s sole solo album. He was a founding member of Os Brazões, which, in addition to releasing a killer album in 1969, was the backing band for some other Brazilian artists like Gal Costa and Tom Ze in the late 60s/early 70s height of Brazilian Tropicalia.

Part of me wishes that the lyrics had a bit more than just the repetitive Black Soul Brothers, but de Deus was a much better guitarist than vocalist (having listened to other songs on this solo album, the less he sings, the better — trust me). The funk is so strong I don’t care about the lack of lyrics. It’s that combination of rock and psychedelia with some African-style rhythms and chants which mostly draws me into Brazilian music rather than the lyrics in most instances anyway (given my lack of understanding of Portuguese) -- with some exceptions for those with great voices that don’t need to understand to appreciate.

#101 - The Muppets - Mahna Mahna
#6 out of 6 Soundtrack/Instrumentals

This song has a storied history. Released by Italiam Piero Umiliani in 1968 as Mah Na Mah Na it quickly became a minor hit around the world. Because of its quirky nature and humor it found its way onto many TV shows soon after, Red Skelton, Benny Hill and the Muppets who performed it on the Ed Sullivan show. It then became kind of dormant until the Muppet Show became a huge hit in 1976. Mahna Mahna was a key part of the first episode. With the Muppet show flying high, a Soundtrack was released in 1977 and the Muppets version of Mahna Mahna finally became available. By now the original Piero Umiliani version had been a top 10 hit in the UK on the back of the Muppet Show being a global phenomenom
Love it.

Would love to see/hear Sha Na Na cover it. @Mister CIA

#99 - The Runaways - Heartbeat
#16 out of 18 - New Wave

Cherry Bomb came out in 1976 and while its impact wasnt as strong as revisionist history would say thanks to its inclusion on the Guardians of the Galaxy Soundtrack, they made an impact as the next great thing. An attractive all female band with a rock edge. The anticipated follow up fell flat however with lead single Heartbeat perhaps a poor choice. What followed was management issues, in fighting about the direction of the band and most of the band members hadnt even turned 20. Someone should make a movie about all this. Joan Jett became the most known member of the group thanks to her solo success. Ironic that the music she wanted with the Runaways was a more glam rock approach, while Cherie Curie and Lita Ford wanted a harder rock edge. I guess Jett lost her own argument.

Tomorrow we will see our first International #1. For some reason it wasnt a hit in the US, although it was covered by a well known artist later and made the top 10.

We see our second trip to Disco town, this time by an artist who charted in the 1950s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s. A very rare feat.
This song is not one of their finer moments, but its good enough to make it here

The last song is by one of the biggest icons in music history, recently deceased. Much beloved and this song is the last one before she had one of her career gear changes.

#98 - Julie Covington - Don’t Cry for Me Argentina
#8 out of 8 - International #1’s

This song is a perfect reason why release dates dont determine the worthiness of a songs eligibility for a given year. Yes it was released in late 1976, but it ended up being the number one song in Australia and West Germany and the number 3 song in the UK for the entire year of 1977. It barely rated in the end of year charts for 1976. I still do not understand why it wasnt a hit in the US. It dominated charts in the western world and Europe. When Madonna was given the lead role in the movie Evita in the 90s, she had to take intensive singing lessons to come up with the version she did. As with everything Madonna she put her heart and soul and a lot of hard work into getting it right. She got it into the top 10 in the US, but it wasnt the same, as noble an effort it was.

#97 - The Isley Brothers - The Pride
#6 out 7 - Disco

This is one of the all time great artists. This is not one of their all time great songs though. Plugs along nicely. The Isley brothers have one of musics most unique feats. They charted in the top 50 in six consecutive decades, the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s. It would have been top 40 except their best charting in the 50s was #47. They absolutely dominated the US R&B charts for decades though. Cliff Richard had top 40 hits in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, but despite being a superstar in the UK and internationally, struggled to gain traction in the US. Elvis Presley had top 40 hits in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, The worldwide #1 hit with JXL production, A Little less conversation stalled at #50 in the 00s in the US

#96 - Olivia Newton-John - Sam
#16 out of 17 - Mainstream/Other

This was the last single in the country/pop phase of her career. After this came Grease, Disco, Xanadu, Physical etc. Sam is a pleasant enough song, but not a patch on the 5 top six singles she had between 1973 and 1975. Sam was her biggest hit for 2 years, but she seemed destined to be on the downswing of her chart career when along came Grease and the phenomenon surrounding that. Apart from being exceedingly pretty, few had a bad word to say about her and every time you saw John Travolta with her, he acted like a teenager sitting next to his crush. Even well into the 2000s.

#97 - The Isley Brothers - The Pride
#6 out 7 - Disco

This is one of the all time great artists. This is not one of their all time great songs though. Plugs along nicely. The Isley brothers have one of musics most unique feats. They charted in the top 50 in six consecutive decades, the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s. It would have been top 40 except their best charting in the 50s was #47. They absolutely dominated the US R&B charts for decades though. Cliff Richard had top 40 hits in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, but despite being a superstar in the UK and internationally, struggled to gain traction in the US. Elvis Presley had top 40 hits in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s, The worldwide #1 hit with JXL production, A Little less conversation stalled at #50 in the 00s in the US
I don't think I'd call "The Pride" disco - too rugged for that, in my opinion - but it's definitely danceable.

The whole album is really good if you're into late '70s R&B. There are a couple of Quiet Storm ballads, some thumpers like this one, and Ernie Isley doing his Hendrix impression across almost all of the songs.

Now next up our 3 songs will be related.
You will have heard one of them.
It is very unlikely you have heard the other two.
Both of these songs were massive n Europe.
One was number one for about a dozen weeks in its home country and a hit most other places in Europe. The other was top 10 in just about every european country and number one in several. It even made #4 in the UK

Last edited:
#95 - Laurent Voulzy - Rockollection 11 minutes
Shorter version - Laurent Voulzy - Rockollection - 4 Minutes
#10 out of 12 - International

For some reason I thought this track had a reference to the next 2 songs. But it doesnt. It does peddle in the same theme though....nostalgia. Once you get through the french language issues its a catchy little thing. Massively huge in France, it was a big hit throughout Europe as well. Highly amusing in the long version is the repeated cowbell interludes. The video editing in the longer clip has the most famous cowbell clip of all time incorporated. Nostalgia was a big theme this year as the next two will demonstrate.

Last edited:
#94 - Danny Mirror - I Remember Elvis Presley (The King is Dead)
#9 out of 12 - International

This was released a matter of weeks after the death of Elvis Ptesley and with the wave of mourning and nostalgia this dominated charts across Europe, including the UK where it reached #4. At the age of 9, Elvis Presley was the first celebrity death that resonated with me and it was a truly shocking moment, so nostalgia surrounding it always attracted me. Dutch artist Danny Mirror hit quick with his tribute that caught on and while its patchy musically, does a good job of following in with its intent.

#93 - Elvis Presley - Way Down
#15 out of 17 - Mainstream/Other

The death of Elvis Presley may have been the biggest mourning of a celebrity.....ever? We have seen many since and obviously before, but the death of Elvis shocked the world. I dont feel we can talk about 1977 without mentioning it. This song however is pants. It reached #1 in several countries and was the publics way of joining in on the mourning. I doubt many have listened to it since. I was actually trying to include the infinitely much better Moody Blue, but it split its chart action between 1976 and 1977 making that a tough sell.

Next up we have a solo single from a man more known as part of a pretty unique band and he wasnt the lead vocalist for this band. This song also has the second mention of something already listed

After that we have a early single from a band that would become one a New Wave favorites

The last song may be the most disturbing song I have ever heard. It is also our first visit to our final category, electronic music.

#92 - Michael Nesmith - Rio
#14 out of 17 - Mainstream/Other

Obviously a key player in the Monkees, Michael Nesmith grew disillusioned with the set up and was saving his best songs for a solo career. He hit it big with a song called Joanne in 1970 and was poised for a successful solo career. The follow up Silver moon just missed top 40 and from then on it was a struggle. Touring, recording and finding an audience. 1977 found Rio being a top 5 single in Australia and top 30 in the UK. His other two hits mentioned had also done real well down under. Such an oddity that two top 3 singles in Australia had Rio in the title. Not as odd as 3 UK number ones, all different songs called Power of Love within 18 months of each other around 1985. Huey Lewis and the News, Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Jennifer Rush,

#92 - Michael Nesmith - Rio
#14 out of 17 - Mainstream/Other

Obviously a key player in the Monkees, Michael Nesmith grew disillusioned with the set up and was saving his best songs for a solo career. He hit it big with a song called Joanne in 1970 and was poised for a successful solo career. The follow up Silver moon just missed top 40 and from then on it was a struggle. Touring, recording and finding an audience. 1977 found Rio being a top 5 single in Australia and top 30 in the UK. His other two hits mentioned had also done real well down under. Such an oddity that two top 3 singles in Australia had Rio in the title. Not as odd as 3 UK number ones, all different songs called Power of Love within 18 months of each other around 1985. Huey Lewis and the News, Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Jennifer Rush,
Very talented guy whose talent often got lost amid the goofy personas of the Monkees.

#91 - XTC - Science Friction
#15 out of 18 - New Wave

XTC had been together for five years building an audience and looking for their big break. Punk gave them their chance as record labels were signing any band with the right look and feel. Science Friction opened a lot of doors for the band with its energy, but they didnt seem like any other band around. They did fit in with the upcoming new wave perfectly and found their groove soon after. Always critically respected they popped in and out of the charts with their releases. Better was to come, but this is a solid debut single.

The last song may be the most disturbing song I have ever heard. It is also our first visit to our final category, electronic music.
This description suggests the artist is
Suicide
Bingo
#90 - Suicide - Frankie Teardrop
#9 out of 9 Electronic

Our final category makes an appearance and what a crazy one to begin it with. While doing research for this list I came across some unusual musical numbers. None stranger than this. I still dont kmow what to make of this. It is not an enjoyable listen and frankly it is quite disturbing. I dont know enough about the artist fo determine if they are doing social commentary or are the musical equivalent of a shock jock. Naming the band Suicide and then recording stuff like this gives me an idea though. It’s a confronting number nonetheless.

Last edited:
#10 out of 10 Electronic

Our final category makes an appearance and what a crazy one to begin it with. While doing research for this list I came across some unusual musical numbers. None stranger than this. I still dont kmow what to make of this. It is not an enjoyable listen and frankly it is quite disturbing. I dont know enough about the artist fo determine if they are doing social commentary or are the musical equivalent of a shock jock. Naming the band Suicide and then recording stuff like this gives me an idea though. It’s a confronting number nonetheless.

There it is! It's my #1 song in any TouchTunes battle (where I'm trying to drive off someone who's playing a bunch of country music or something). We say, "Are we gonna 'Frankie Teardop' these people?" Guaranteed to have them leave the bar.

Tomorrows trio is again going to feature one well known track and two from the unlikely to have heard before category

Our second trip to Electronic is a bit more fun....actually listening to The Smiths, The Cure and Joy Division is more fun than our first visit to electronica. A french artist, but not the one you are probably thinking of

We also go to Australia for another female vocalist. Unlike Olivia Newton-John who people felt sad about her passing and lots of positive things were said. When this one passed in January this year, the comments all included “Difficult” apart from praising her voice. She wasnt known internationally as far as im aware

The last song is more famous by another artist and revisits the soundtrack/instrumental category. This version is frankly pretty ordinary, not her best work. Still good enough for here.

Suicide
Bingo
#9 out of 9 Electronic

Never heard this before. Those screams will give me nightmares. I'm not saying that in a hyperbolic manner either.

Suicide
Bingo
#9 out of 9 Electronic

Finally some easy listening yacht rock.

#89 - Cerrone - Love in C Minor
#8 out of 9 - Electronic

As Im sure we were all queuing around the block when this was released in 1976 in France, this counts as a 1977 entry. It even charted in the US and Uk, but not until march 1977 shortly after its international release. It surprised me that it charted given the explicit sexuality....even on an Instrumental lol. Can it be an instrumental if “Love Me” is repeated throughout?) My book of charts counts it as an instrumental. Cerrone the artist has been prolific and still churns out stuff now. 1978s Supernature charted higher, but this is his best song. Catchy, sexy and fun. A welcome change after Frankie Teardrop.

#88 - Renee Geyer - Stares and Whispers
#9 Out of 10 - Australia

Renee Geyer flirted with chart success in Australia and had to work her guts out for recognition and exposure. She was determined to be recognised for her talent and craft, not because she was blonde and had a pair of ****. She fought relentlessly to be treated as an equal and was labelled all kinds of nasty names in the process. She labelled herself as “ a white Hungarian Jew from Australia sounding like a 65-year-old black man from Alabama”
Women were supposed to be coquettish in the 1970s Australian music scene. Her craft was jazz, blues and performance. Not my style at all, but I recognise. 1977 was a very lean year for the Australian music scene. The previous and subsequent years proved it an aberration. Normally the likes of this song wouldnt scratch my top 10, but you should hear the ones that missed out. 🤮

#87 - Liza Minelli - Theme from New York New York
#5 Out of 6 - Instrumental/Soundtrack

Starring Robert De Niro and Liza Minelli herself this theme tune from the movie of the same name is a case of how to butcher a song. More intent at showing off her vocal chops than interpreting the song, this can be a brutal listen. Moreso because Sinatra did such a better job a couple of years later. Its a shame as this song suits Minellis voice. It wouldnt be the first time that Sinatra got the best out of a song and its no shame that Sinatra sings a song better than you. That said the recorded version Minelli sang is more restrained than when she belts it out live.

#88 - Renee Geyer - Stares and Whispers
#9 Out of 10 - Australia

Renee Geyer flirted with chart success in Australia and had to work her guts out for recognition and exposure. She was determined to be recognised for her talent and craft, not because she was blonde and had a pair of ****. She fought relentlessly to be treated as an equal and was labelled all kinds of nasty names in the process. She labelled herself as “ a white Hungarian Jew from Australia sounding like a 65-year-old black man from Alabama”
Women were supposed to be coquettish in the 1970s Australian music scene. Her craft was jazz, blues and performance. Not my style at all, but I recognise. 1977 was a very lean year for the Australian music scene. The previous and subsequent years proved it an aberration. Normally the likes of this song wouldnt scratch my top 10, but you should hear the ones that missed out. 🤮
I swear this would have fit in perfect on the Jackie Brown soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread