What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1977 - Part II A New Hope DONE- Top 10 Sex Pistols, Meco, Rocky, Kraftwerk, Saints, Marvin Gaye, JM Jarre, Stranglers, John Williams & Stevie Wonder (1 Viewer)

#39 - X-Ray Spex - Oh Bondage! Up Yours!
#4 Out of 13 - Punk

Now for one of the truly unique songs in the punk movement. Not many female led punk bands but this one led by Poly Styrene came and went quickly, but its unusual title and the band themselves left a lasting impression with this song. Female empowerment was rare at this time and the song still resonates so much so that in 2021 it made Rolling Stones top 500 songs of all time at #121

#4 Out of 13 - Punk

Now for one of the truly unique songs in the punk movement. Not many female led punk bands but this one led by Poly Styrene came and went quickly, but its unusual title and the band themselves left a lasting impression with this song. Female empowerment was rare at this time and the song still resonates so much so that in 2021 it made Rolling Stones top 500 songs of all time at #121
Not my favorite song ever but extra points for the title.

Into the top 40
#40 - Manhattan Transfer - Chanson D’Amour
#3 out of 8 - International #1’s

Embarrassingly I thought this group were black. A) They definitely dont look like it and B) They definitely dont sound like it.
I blame my under 10 idiot self for misremembering. Havent thought about this song since its release at all until doing this list.
Anyway, Manhattan Transfer had a song that went to #22 in 1975 in the US called Operator. Then nada until 1980 when Twilight Zone went to #30. The Boy from New York City went to #7 the following year. After that only one song made the top 40 at #40. Now after Operator, Manhattan Transfer had 7 hits in the UK between Operator and Twilight Zone, including Chanson D’Amour which went to #1 in the UK.
All in all the band had 15 songs chart in the US or UK. Now its highly unusual that only 2 songs charted in both, while 13 only charted in one of the two regions. The 2 songs were Twilight Zone and 1983s Spice of Life
Yeah, they’re even whiter than Pere Ubu.

#4 Out of 13 - Punk

The way it begins when she just left-turns into the title phrase is amazing. The rest of it is gravy.

#4 Out of 13 - Punk

they were more than just that single, tho ...

^ speaks for itself

Into the top 40
#40 - Manhattan Transfer - Chanson D’Amour
#3 out of 8 - International #1’s

Embarrassingly I thought this group were black. A) They definitely dont look like it and B) They definitely dont sound like it.
I blame my under 10 idiot self for misremembering. Havent thought about this song since its release at all until doing this list.
Anyway, Manhattan Transfer had a song that went to #22 in 1975 in the US called Operator. Then nada until 1980 when Twilight Zone went to #30. The Boy from New York City went to #7 the following year. After that only one song made the top 40 at #40. Now after Operator, Manhattan Transfer had 7 hits in the UK between Operator and Twilight Zone, including Chanson D’Amour which went to #1 in the UK.
All in all the band had 15 songs chart in the US or UK. Now its highly unusual that only 2 songs charted in both, while 13 only charted in one of the two regions. The 2 songs were Twilight Zone and 1983s Spice of Life
Yeah, they’re even whiter than Pere Ubu.
In my defense i was 9 at the time.
The argument for the prosecution....i had seen the film clip......i knew the song unlike pere ubu.

I think thats the end of my racial mismanagement for this thread.

Next Up
An instrumental.....the song is ancient and played on an unusual instrument usually....not the bagpipes. Guy is more famous for a movie soundtrack that set off an amazing career for someone else

After that back to the Punk/New Wave era with another song with an unusual title. The band is well respected.

#4 Out of 13 - Punk

Totally forgot about this band. Can’t say there are too many punk bands with a sax player.

#38 - Mike Oldfield - Portsmouth
#4 out of 6 - Instrumental/Soundtrack

We haven’t had enough British pipes in this draft and although they weren’t used here....they have traditionally been used on this track. Now is the hornpipe as annoying as a bagpipe? No. This track is over 300 years old and was resurrected by Oldfield who had Tubular Bells in his rearview by now. The unexpected success of Tubular Bells vaulted Oldfield into a mega million selling artist and turned the fortunes of label boss Richard Branson and his Virgin group from struggling start up into the mega Billionaire he is today.

#37 - Buzzcocks - Orgasm Addict
#4 Out of 17 - New Wave

Now onto one of the bands most respected throughout the Punk era. Unfortunately for them respected meant lack of sales, but the journos like us. This was their opening salvo and quite explosive it is. It left a mark. It builds up nicely and has a finish that leaves us all exhausted afterwards. More?
The band would remain in the public conciousness first with the Fine Young Cannibals covering their biggest hit “Ever Fallen In Love” and then a new TV show was launched in the UK called Never Mind the Buzzcocks, a music and trivia panel show that has run on and off for almost 30 years. Pete Shelley bemoaned the success of the show as his band name would become more famous for a TV show than his band.

Next up we revisit the Black category with an artist that is associated to a drink.

After that we have a pioneer of the New Wave movement and one of their weirder numbers and they were a weird band. They made Talking Heads seem like the London Philharmonic orchestra

#4 Out of 17 - New Wave

Now onto one of the bands most respected throughout the Punk era. Unfortunately for them respected meant lack of sales, but the journos like us. This was their opening salvo and quite explosive it is. It left a mark. It builds up nicely and has a finish that leaves us all exhausted afterwards. More?
The band would remain in the public conciousness first with the Fine Young Cannibals covering their biggest hit “Ever Fallen In Love” and then a new TV show was launched in the UK called Never Mind the Buzzcocks, a music and trivia panel show that has run on and off for almost 30 years. Pete Shelley bemoaned the success of the show as his band name would become more famous for a TV show than his band.

their opening salvo were actually the "Spiral Scratch" EP, released some 10 months prior to "Orgasm Addict"

the big hitter from Spiral Scratch was this one, which is about as emblematic of that era as anything released - they worked that mind numbing riff to death, no? we also have DeVoto on board for all of it.

FUNK as PUCK.

that's the goodness - i love "Orgasm Addict" as well, but gimme this one from their earlier sessions, before they became known as "the Beatles of Punk"

🤘

#4 Out of 17 - New Wave

their opening salvo were actually the "Spiral Scratch" EP, released some 10 months prior to "Orgasm Addict"

the big hitter from Spiral Scratch was this one, which is about as emblematic of that era as anything released - they worked that mind numbing riff to death, no? we also have DeVoto on board for all of it.

FUNK as PUCK.

that's the goodness - i love "Orgasm Addict" as well, but gimme this one from their earlier sessions, before they became known as "the Beatles of Punk"

🤘
Interesting. Thanks. I know DeVoto has a huge reputation, but looking at this he was barely in the band very long. I think he made his name with Magazine

#4 Out of 17 - New Wave

FUNK as PUCK.

🤘
Interesting. Thanks. I know DeVoto has a huge reputation, but looking at this he was barely in the band very long. I think he made his name with Magazine

yeah, DeVo split toot sweet ... Magazine laid down some blistering tracks, too - most notably this doozy, which features the late/great John McGeogh on lead guitar - he would later join up with Siouxsie, and craft some of the most seminal work of the burgeoning post-punk movement - many a guitarist has cited his efforts on Sioux's "Kaleidescope" and (especially) "Juju" as being the greatest of the era.

btw, referring to the Buzzcocks as "the Beatles of Punk" was not meant in a pejorative way - just a nod to how they grew outta the rawness of "Spiral Scratch" and authored some truly melodic powerpunkpop - they chiseled that niche better than any in the movement.

moreso even than the Jam, who, though unabashedly proud Mods (what with their Kinks/Who fetish on their sleeves), still found a way to toss a nod to the Fabs by re-imagining "Taxman" on Start!

PS - gimme both bands (Jam/Buzzies) over the Clash ... (and toss Siouxsie and Gen X and the Damned and the Pistols and the Ramones in there, too ... i'm sure i left out a few dozen more 😁)

#36 - Evelyn “Champagne” King - Shame
#5 Out of 10 - Black

16/17 year old Evelyn King was working as a cleaner with her mother at Philadelphia records. She liked to sing while she worked and a producer heard her and started developing her. To avoid people thinking her an old woman, Champagne was added. Shame was her first single and remains her biggest hit. She carved out a nice career, but asked to name a song of hers people probably struggle. Now there is a personal note here. The 1985 movie Fright Night was a fun movie and had a great soundtrack. My first girlfriend loved Champagnes song from it, Give It Up.....so of course I had to find every album King had released and give them to her lol. “I just liked that one ****ing song” was not the response I was hoping for. Oh well.

After that we have a pioneer of the New Wave movement and one of their weirder numbers and they were a weird band.
Are they not men?
Exactly.
#35 - Devo - Mongoloid
#4 out of 18 - New Wave

Devo were not of their time. They did everything right with their debut LP, went to Conny Planks famed studio in Germany, gor Brian Eno to produce and its impact was minimal. Those it impacted though became true Devo tees. It was actually a tough choice as to what Devo song got included, with Jock Homo running it close, but their Rolling Stone cover ”I Can’t Get No Satisfaction” has its charm as well. Devo did make an impact over the next few years with the Whip It release being the peak of their public attention in 1981. I looked up the charts here and couldn’t believe that Whip it only made it to #77 in Australia. That wasnt right, it was huge. What happened? Turns out everyone in Australia bought the DEV-O Live Ep and took it to #1.

After that we have a pioneer of the New Wave movement and one of their weirder numbers and they were a weird band.
Are they not men?
Exactly.
#35 - Devo - Mongoloid
#4 out of 18 - New Wave

Devo were not of their time. They did everything right with their debut LP, went to Conny Planks famed studio in Germany, gor Brian Eno to produce and its impact was minimal. Those it impacted though became true Devo tees. It was actually a tough choice as to what Devo song got included, with Jock Homo running it close, but their Rolling Stone cover ”I Can’t Get No Satisfaction” has its charm as well. Devo did make an impact over the next few years with the Whip It release being the peak of their public attention in 1981. I looked up the charts here and couldn’t believe that Whip it only made it to #77 in Australia. That wasnt right, it was huge. What happened? Turns out everyone in Australia bought the DEV-O Live Ep and took it to #1.

nobody seemed to care.

Are they not men?
Exactly.
#35 - Devo - Mongoloid
#4 out of 18 - New Wave

Back when I still bought mail order 45's this was one of them. They definitely stood out amongst the crowd.

Next up
A song that could be eligible in 1972, 75, 76, 77 and probably a few others as well. It is referred to reverentially. Even the Sex Pistols did a demo of it. Wire, Joan Jett, Greg Kihn all had a bash. The advent of punk got this into the charts in 1977, so thats why i am including it.

After that a song more well know in the US from its original artist, but internationally this song belongs to another band. This band had 70 hits in the UK, 39 of them made the top 20, including the decades of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s. They did have 9 top 40 hits in Australia, but their albums sold like hot cakes. Their one and only hit in the US was in the late 60s and their similarities to Spinal Tap are legendary.

#34 - Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers - Roadrunner (Twice)
#8 Out of #18 - Mainstream/Other

This track was way before its time in 1971 or 2, but the times caught up and this song was championed by of all people. Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols. It got to #11 in the UK in 1977 and the follow up Egyptian Reggae did even better.
The Modern Lovers broke up in 1974 and only Richman himself dragged it out of retirement in 1976, with a new bunch of Modern Lovers added to his name. A third incarnation started in 1980. This song is such a winner you can see why it just kept getting released. I have included the twice version. A thrice version would follow in the same year.

#33 - Status Quo - Rockin All Over The World
#2 out of 8 - International # 1’s

This song opened Live Aid in 1985. Status Quo were chosen for their anthemic take on the Fogerty song to open the major event and it is their most well known song outside the US. The group led by Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi were modelled out of the Spinal Tap factory, right down to the luke warm bassist Alan Lancaster. No exploding drummers mind you. The Pictures of Matchstick Men that took off in the US was totally up ended into a rock boogie mix like a collection of Hell Hole and Big Bottom. 70 top 40 hits in the UK is beaten by very few artists such was their enduring appeal. I mean 20 years ago I was bouncing my baby daughter along to Jam Side Down, one of their latter hits.

This song opened Live Aid in 1985. Status Quo were chosen for their anthemic take on the Fogerty song to open the major event and it is their most well known song outside the US. The group led by Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi were modelled out of the Spinal Tap factory, right down to the luke warm bassist Alan Lancaster. No exploding drummers mind you. The Pictures of Matchstick Men that took off in the US was totally up ended into a rock boogie mix like a collection of Hell Hole and Big Bottom. 70 top 40 hits in the UK is beaten by very few artists such was their enduring appeal. I mean 20 years ago I was bouncing my baby daughter along to Jam Side Down, one of their latter hits.
One of the more eclectic bands in history - Spinal Tap-esque for sure.

1985 was an interesting year for them - opened Live Aid as you mentioned and also had a prominent role in Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas". Here they are doing their Spinal Tap thing.

Pictures of Matchstick Men = Listen to the Flower People

Next up
We have an artist with a wild reputation but each of the years of 1975, 76, 77 and 78 he had a ballad make the US top 12, while the harder stuff didnt chart as well. Despite his first chart hit being in 1970, his biggest hit didnt happen until almost 20 years later

After that we return to the Black Category with a song that pretty much defines this band. It was their onky big hit, but they did have a couple of others make the top 40

#32 - Alice Cooper - You and Me
#7 Out of 18 - Mainstream/Other

Alice Cooper started out with horrific stage shows and became known as the Godfather of Shock Rock in the early 70s. By the mid 70s he was having far more success with bis lovely ballads. In a 4 year stretch songs like the amazing Only Women Bleed, I Never Cry, You and Me and How You Gonna See Me Now all went top 12 while the rest barely charted. By now his demons were running rife and although he was still working, recording and touring he disappeared from mainstream charts until Poison became arguably his biggest hit in 1989. You and Me probably isnt the best of his 4 ballad stretch, but its still beautiful and worthy of a high spot.

#32 - Alice Cooper - You and Me
#7 Out of 18 - Mainstream/Other

Alice Cooper started out with horrific stage shows and became known as the Godfather of Shock Rock in the early 70s. By the mid 70s he was having far more success with bis lovely ballads. In a 4 year stretch songs like the amazing Only Women Bleed, I Never Cry, You and Me and How You Gonna See Me Now all went top 12 while the rest barely charted. By now his demons were running rife and although he was still working, recording and touring he disappeared from mainstream charts until Poison became arguably his biggest hit in 1989. You and Me probably isnt the best of his 4 ballad stretch, but its still beautiful and worthy of a high spot.
Touching duet with Beakie

Next up we start the top 30.

We have an English artist who has had 5 top 20 hits in the US, but under 3 different names. This was his first as part of a band. Much more popular in the US than his homeland, his magical voice got to number one twice in the US, but not with the band we will see next.

After that we have a song clearly released in late 1976, but because the way the US charts operated it didnt see much life until 1977 where it didnt peak until May 1977. I dd throw him in the one hit wonder category, but upon closer inspection he had one song go one spot higher than this one in 1978. Only the 1976/77 song charted in Australia

Time for the top 30
#30 - The Babys - Isn’t It Time
#6 Out of 19 - Mainstream/Other

John Waite is one of the more interesting artists of the 70s/80s era. He couldn’t get arrested in the UK. In his 3 incarnations through the Babys, solo and with Bad English he had one hit. One charting hit. Missing You.
In the US, through these three variations he had 25 charting hits.
With the Babys Isn’t It Time still sounds great and went all the way to #1 in Australia. It was followed up soon after with Everytime I think of you.
After Missing you, Waite formed a kind of supergroup with half of the Babys joining half of Journey to become Bad English.
All 3 incarnations feature the unique and great voice of Waite himself.

Last edited:
#29 - Al Stewart - Year of the Cat
#5 out of 19 - Mainstream/Other

Now Al Stewart had been recording since the mid 60s with only the occasional flurry into the lower reaches of the UK and US album charts. Until 1976 when Year of the Cat was released. It had been and gone by the end of 76 in the UK charts, but its US chart run had barely got off the ground by the end of 76. 1977 is where it saw all its relevant chart action on the US singles and albums chart. Its a beautiful song. Well constructed.
In 1978, Stewart would go one spot higher with Time Passages on the singles charts, but Year of the Cat is by far his most well known song

Time for the top 30

John Waite is one of the more interesting artists of the 70s/80s era. He couldn’t get arrested in the UK. In his 3 incarnations through the Babys, solo and with Bad English he had one hit. One charting hit. Missing You.
In the US, through these the variations he had 25 charting hits.
With the Babys Isn’t It Time still sounds great and went all the way to #1 in Australia. It was followed up soon after with Everytime I think of you.
After Missing you, Waite formed a kind of supergroup with half of the Babys joining half of Journey to become Bad English.
By the time of the Babys’ third US hit, Back on My Feet Again, their lineup included Jonathan Cain, who would go on to join Journey and write Don’t Stop Believin’.

The Babys reformed without Waite in 2013. The reason I know this is because Waite’s replacement is the brother-in-law of my son’s guitar teacher. Guitar teacher says that when they were younger, he would tell his brother in law that he looked like John Waite, to which the response was always “don’t be ridiculous.”

Last edited:
Time for the top 30

I picked this in our British countdown (which qualified given that it was pre-Cain, as Pip mentioned). Great song.

Time for the top 30

I picked this in our British countdown (which qualified given that it was pre-Cain, as Pip mentioned). Great song.
Will be interesting to see if anyone picks Back on My Feet Again for the current countdown.

#31 - L.T.D - Back in Love Again
#4 Out of 10 - Black

L.T.D only really had one big hit, this one. They broke the top 40 a couple more times but this is easily their best song. Funky, soulful and a joy to listen to. It would be easy to not include this song at all such is their relative anonymity these days, but a good song is a good song.
They got a ton of radio play on R&B channels here up until about 1980. Lead singer Jeffrey Osbourne had a fantastic voice and had some solo hits in the 1980s. That whole band was really tight.

I saw them in concert twice in the late '70s (I think, '78 & '79). First time, they were 2nd on the bill to The Commodores (my favorite band at the time) and I thought LTD was better. The second time, they headlined with Larry Graham on the undercard. They were even better.

Their best LP, in my opinion, was 1978's Togetherness. It had no huge pop hits, but every song on it was great. I'm guessing the biggest pop charter from the album was "Holding On".

Now Al Stewart had been recording since the mid 60s with only the occasional flurry into the lower reaches of the UK and US album charts. Until 1976 when Year of the Cat was released. It had been and gone by the end of 76 in the UK charts, but its US chart run had barely got off the ground by the end of 76. 1977 is where it saw all its relevant chart action on the US singles and albums chart. Its a beautiful song. Well constructed.
In 1978, Stewart would go one spot higher with Time Passages on the singles charts, but Year of the Cat is by far his most well known song
A really great songwriting work, right from the opening piano riff all the way to the end, pretty good lyrics as well. Maybe too low on this countdown?

A really great songwriting work, right from the opening piano riff all the way to the end, pretty good lyrics as well. Maybe too low on this countdown?
The acoustic guitar solo/electric guitar solo/sax solo transition (3:22-4:30 mark) is so freaking sweet.

Quite possibly, but theres a lot of 1976 in this track. Enough 1977 to include here, but thats the advantage of Tims system. It would be a clear no dice for him. Me, I allow grey area.

The acoustic guitar solo/electric guitar solo/sax solo transition (3:22-4:30 mark) is so freaking sweet.
Al Stewart is underrated, no doubt. He had been doing his craft for over 10 years when Year of the Cat came out. For some reason his 1988 song King of Portugal resonated with me. Wasnt what I was listening to at the time. Bought the vinyl single. No chart action on that one.

Next Up
We finally get back to the Electronic genre with a master of the form. This is an early number of his and timeless really. The title may not be familiar, but odds are you have heard it somewhere

After that we get to Disco funk with some pioneers. This was their first big hit and the start of a solid career. Three of the names in this group are famous in their own right now having got their start here. Two are very famous... I think. One for sure

#28 - Vangelis - To the Unknown Man
#4 out of 9 - Electronic

Like a lot of electronic pioneers Vangelis started his career in a band a decade before his time. Coming from Greece, not much rock music. But Aphrodites Child had numerous european hits with the golden voice of Demis Roussos and the songwriting of Mr Vangelis. Roussos went solo and actually got a UK number one song with Forever and Ever. Vangelis in the meantime was trying to find his groove. In 1975 he found chart action with his Heaven and Hell album which featured his first collaboration with the gorgeous voice of Yes, Jon Anderson. In the future they would make numerous glorious albums as Jon and Vangelis. Pulstar followed in 1976 and established Vangelis as a pioneer in the electronic genre. 1977s To the Unknown Man is great, but probably doesnt touch his top 10..

#27 - Chic - Dance, Dance, Dance (Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah)
#2 Out of 7 - Disco

Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards formed the Big Apple Boys in 1970. They drifted along making nice music, but it wasn’t until 1976 when seeing a Roxy Music show that the penny dropped on how to present themselves and their music. A Kiss show soon after solidified it. Gaining a big record contact in that time their first major release was Dance Dance Dance. Tony Thompson had joined them by now on drums. It went to #6 in the US and started the brilliant combination of Edwards and Rodgers as a musical force. Le Freak and Good Times followed shortly after and went to #1. Branching out into a songwriting and production team Edwards and Rodgers became a highly sought after team during the 80s and 90s until Edwards unfortunate early death due to pneumonia. Rodgers continued on

#2 Out of 7 - Disco

Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards formed the Big Apple Boys in 1970. They drifted along making nice music, but it wasn’t until 1976 when seeing a Roxy Music show that the penny dropped on how to present themselves and their music. A Kiss show soon after solidified it. Gaining a big record contact in that time their first major release was Dance Dance Dance. Tony Thompson had joined them by now on drums. It went to #6 in the US and started the brilliant combination of Edwards and Rodgers as a musical force. Le Freak and Good Times followed shortly after and went to #1. Branching out into a songwriting and production team Edwards and Rodgers became a highly sought after team during the 80s and 90s until Edwards unfortunate early death due to pneumonia. Rodgers continued on
Great peppy tune. I do wonder if they picked up the "yowsah, yowsah, yowsah" from Happy Days (this specific episode is from 1976).

#2 Out of 7 - Disco

I've ranted so many times on this board about how underrated Chic is as musicians and influencers that I won't bore you folks with it anymore.

They did everything inside-out. The bass and strings were the lead instruments, while the guitar and keys carried the rhythm. Tony Thompson could have played for Black Sabbath. The vocalists weren't powerhouse divas like so many popular late '70s artists. It was a heady mix and had a huge effect in '80s music.

Users who are viewing this thread