What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1977 - Part II A New Hope DONE- Top 10 Sex Pistols, Meco, Rocky, Kraftwerk, Saints, Marvin Gaye, JM Jarre, Stranglers, John Williams & Stevie Wonder (1 Viewer)

#52 - Carl Bean - I Was Born this Way
#3 out of 7 - Disco

With a chorus that states “I'm happy - I'm carefree - and I'm gay I was born this way” wasn’t sadly going to get airplay in 1977. It may not now. Yet that didnt stop Carl Bean from being proud of who he was. This song wasnt that well know out of the gay disco scene, but through the years its become a gay anthem.

#51 - Blondie - Rip Her to Shreds
#10 out of 18 - New Wave

1976 saw the arrival of a band with a striking singer called Deborah Harry. For some reason the song In the Flesh was a massive hit in Australia, reaching #2. Outside that #40 in Belgium. Thats it. I was tempted to pick In the Flash as its the better song, but too 1976 for me. This song shows Harry full of character. Much better was to come. The Plastic Letters LP got them a much bigger audience, but it wasnt until 1979s Parallel Lines that they broke in a big way. This album didnt have a bad note on it with 6 songs chosen as singles in various parts of the world. Could have been every track. The standout hit though was Heart of Glass. Rip Her to Shreds is an interesting footnote on the Blondie career though.

We drop to 2 from now on.

Next we start with a track that comes off a classic album from the year. It is the second time we see this artist on my list. A rarity

After that we go to Australasia for a New Zealand band that should have cracked it Internationally. This is their break out hit in Australia. They could write hits, had stage presence and lasted for almost 15 years before the singer got throat cancer. The negatives were they couldn’t find a decent producer, wrote childish lyrics and listened to the wrong record company executives. Add in a penchant for band members to overdose on Heroin and they were one of many aussie bands at the time that were should have beens internationally.

#50 - Television - Prove It
#5 out of 13 - Punk

Arguably the second best track from the album, Prove it holds up well and deserves a spot on this list. With Venus hitting at #75, thats the first of my two songs per artist or more done with. (No more Television for you young man). We wont see any action on the double artist front until #26 I think, but there are still 6 songs to come from this small group of 4 artists left

#49 - Dragon - April Sun in Cuba
#5 out of 10 - Australasia

Dragon were one of the great Australian could have been bands. Arriving from New Zealand in the mid 70s they were led by brothers Marc and Todd Hunter. Singer Marc was charismatic, but erratic. Songwriter was guitarist Paul Hewson....no not Bono lol. This song about the Cuban missile crisis was big In Australia. “Are you old enough” followed soon after and went to number one and then the problems hit. Drug abuse was rife, with 3 members, including eventually Hewson succumbing to Heroin overdoses. Management was hopeless. Tours of America and attempts to break the band internationally failed with Marc often screaming abuse at audiences and the band did everything they could to piss off record execs. They split for a few years and came back under new songwriters with a song called Rain. #2 in Australia, it was Their only chart effort in the US at #88. They could write booming choruses, but the lyrics were manure and the videos were creative madness, in one, they let Bruce Spence from the Mad Max films free form thinking this would attract US audiences with the music of the song drowned out. Dragon sort of petered out. Marc died of throat cancer and the band now does reunion circuits with a cobbled together lineup. They had at least 10 songs that would have been international hits with more professionalism all round. A better lyricist and management that helped rather than hindered.

Next up we have two of the biggest artists of all time.

The first one is rightfully adored as one of the most creative artists. The tune i am selecting is overshadowed by one that made Tims list, but its still dang good

The second is one of the biggest mysteries i can think of when it comes to the US charts. This song wasnt only a hit overseas, it was one of the biggest selling songs of all time. It is from one of, if the most prominent musicians of all time. Its wiki chart placing looks like a picket fence except in Canada and the US. Consider some of the awful songs this artist has gotten much higher in the charts its a total mystery to me. Perhaps my greatest chart mystery...and there are several. When a song hits #1 in Australia and the UK it should be a hit in the US. When its the number one or two selling single of the year in those territories even moreso. No one will be able to justify reasons to me as to why this didnt at least make the US top 20.

The first one is rightfully adored as one of the most creative artists. The tune i am selecting is overshadowed by one that made Tims list, but its still dang good

The second is one of the biggest mysteries i can think of when it comes to the US charts. This song wasnt only a hit overseas, it was one of the biggest selling songs of all time. It is from one of, if the most prominent musicians of all time. Its wiki chart placing looks like a picket fence except in Canada and the US. Consider some of the awful songs this artist has gotten much higher in the charts its a total mystery to me. Perhaps my greatest chart mystery...and there are several. When a song hits #1 in Australia and the UK it should be a hit in the US. When its the number one or two selling single of the year in those territories even moreso. No one will be able to justify reasons to me as to why this didnt at least make the US top 20.
They’re all different markets. Stuff is huge here that makes zero impact in the UK, and vice versa. If everyone’s charts were the same, that would be dull.

They’re all different markets. Stuff is huge here that makes zero impact in the UK, and vice versa. If everyone’s charts were the same, that would be dull.
Of course, thats why I use Australia as a buffer market. Im pretty sure the percentage of songs that were #1 in Australia AND the UK or Australia and the US to break in the third market is high.
Once I reveal the song I will be curious as to arguments why it wasnt a hit.
Like I said, yep maybe hits dont always translate, but this was such a monster hit it baffles me.

Another example I can think of is Chain Reaction by Diana Ross. Written by the Bee Gees, number one for multiple weeks in Australia and the UK. It only got to #95 in the US. Now in this case it was the last hit for Ross in the Uk and Australia. The artist Im talking about had multiple #1 songs still to come and had just had a top 10 hit. Name recognition alone should have been enough to get a chart entry.

#48 - Talking Heads - Pulled Up
#9 out of 18 - New Wave

We come to one of the more interesting bands that have graced popular music. Always doing it their own way. Quirky, weird, brilliant etc. Psycho Killer was the dominant track on the self titled debut album, but there was other great material on it too. Psycho Killer wasnt a hit....except in the Netherlands for some reason, but it attracted a lot of attention to the album. The Talking Heads were always more of an album band so this doesnt come as a surprise. Pulled Up was released as the follow up single, but as expected didnt do much. The next single from the next album in 1978, Take Me to the River was a surprise top 40 hit.

#47 - Wings - Mull of Kintyre
#4 out of 8 - International #1’s

Now this was the first single in the UK to sell 2 million copies. It remained the #1 selling song in UK history until Do they Know its Christmas beat it. It was a massive number one all around the world. Except in North America. This has always baffled me. I am assuming lack of label support. The previous single “Maybe I’m Amazed” went top 10. Better than anywhere else in the world. The next single “ With a Little Luck” went to #1 in the US, way higher than elsewhere. It was Paul freakin McCartney. The song translated across languages and cultures globally. Is it his best song? Of course not. Takes a few listens, but people bought it by the truckload. I am guessing some record exec went yuck, refused to put anything into it, convinced others the same and bingo....no hit. If it had as much support as the single before and the single after I have no doubt it would have been massive in the US. C’est La Vie.

Thoughts?

Now this was the first single in the UK to sell 2 million copies. It remained the #1 selling song in UK history until Do they Know its Christmas beat it. It was a massive number one all around the world. Except in North America. This has always baffled me. I am assuming lack of label support. The previous single “Maybe I’m Amazed” went top 10. Better than anywhere else in the world. The next single “ With a Little Luck” went to #1 in the US, way higher than elsewhere. It was Paul freakin McCartney. The song translated across languages and cultures globally. Is it his best song? Of course not. Takes a few listens, but people bought it by the truckload. I am guessing some record exec went yuck, refused to put anything into it, convinced others the same and bingo....no hit. If it had as much support as the single before and the single after I have no doubt it would have been massive in the US. C’est La Vie.

Thoughts?

the U.S. market doesn't know from, nor care for, Mulls :shrug:

this was a particularly geo specific groove - more akin to the wiles of Euro tastes - why would record execs here push that kinda "hard sell"? i mean, all due respect to the golden touch of Macca, but the magick of the erstwhile Phil Ramon was prolly not gonna translate to sales.

Not many Mulls in Australia, South Africa, Switzerland or the Netherlands either.
Most english dont know what a mull is either lol. They call them Isles generally. Mull is a Scottish term generally, but thats a side issue.
If some record exec went “nope” thats the crux of the issue. If the public dont know the song they cant buy it. This was before cable tv, the internet, streaming etc....if it wasnt on radio the public were not gonna know much.

Not many Mulls in Australia, South Africa, Switzerland or the Netherlands either.
Most english dont know what a mull is either lol. They call them Isles generally. Mull is a Scottish term generally, but thats a side issue.
If some record exec went “nope” thats the crux of the issue. If the public dont know the song they cant buy it. This was before cable tv, the internet, streaming etc....if it wasnt on radio the public were not gonna know much.

you asked specifically why it didn't do boffo biz here in our country, i stated it had a more Eurocentric feel - dunno wtf else to add ...

... except that maybe it didn't get push here because it weren't a "Silly Love Song"

more trivia about my selections

1966 - 2
1967 - 3
1968 - 3
1969 - 2
1970 - 1
1971 - 2
1972 - 2
1973 - 1
1974 - 2
1977 - 1
1978 - 1
1979 - 3
1981 - 2
1985 - 1
1988 - 1
1996 - 1
2000 - 1
2012 - 1
2018 - 1

all but a couple are well-known, and even those are no "secrets" - so pretty chalky but a some of the songs aren't the most obvious choices.

1966 - 2
1967 - 3
1968 - 3
1969 - 2
1970 - 1
1971 - 2
1972 - 2
1973 - 1
1974 - 2
1977 - 1
1978 - 1
1979 - 3
1981 - 2
1985 - 1
1988 - 1
1996 - 1
2000 - 1
2012 - 1
2018 - 1

all but a couple are well-known, and even those are no "secrets" - so pretty chalky but a some of the songs aren't the most obvious choices.

i can get with this theory about "Mull", too.

🤘

1966 - 2
1967 - 3
1968 - 3
1969 - 2
1970 - 1
1971 - 2
1972 - 2
1973 - 1
1974 - 2
1977 - 1
1978 - 1
1979 - 3
1981 - 2
1985 - 1
1988 - 1
1996 - 1
2000 - 1
2012 - 1
2018 - 1

Thanks. But not sure what this has to do with 1977 lol

1966 - 2
1967 - 3
1968 - 3
1969 - 2
1970 - 1
1971 - 2
1972 - 2
1973 - 1
1974 - 2
1977 - 1
1978 - 1
1979 - 3
1981 - 2
1985 - 1
1988 - 1
1996 - 1
2000 - 1
2012 - 1
2018 - 1

Thanks. But not sure what this has to do with 1977 lol

:lmao: wrong thread sorry JML

Thoughts?

Wow, based on the clues you'd given, this was top of mind for me but for whatever reason I didn't think it would make your list. I love the song, though it was my 89th favorite Paul-related post-Beatles song in my countdown. Here's what I said at the time:

Bagpipes incoming!

“Mull Of Kintyre,” Paul’s tribute to the natural beauty of the Kintyre peninsula in Scotland where he has his “farm,” was begun in 1974 but finished later by Paul and Denny Laine, and finally committed to a recording in 1977 by Wings. It dislodged a little-known song called “She Loves You” by an obscure band known as “The Beatles” (sp?) as the highest-selling single in UK history, recording over two million sales for the first time ever. In 1984, its sales were eclipsed in the UK by those of “Do They Know It’s Christmas,” because Paul Young y’all, but it remains the best-selling non-charity single of all time in the UK.

Despite being so beloved, the song was not without some controversy surrounding it, primarily from its co-writer and its musicians. Laine, despite contributing significantly to the composition, wasn’t given what he believed was a fair recompense for the best-selling single in UK history, saying he got “very little out of it” and that when he asked Paul for something more for the tune, he was told, essentially, “I’m Paul McCartney, and anyone who writes with me is privileged.” Likewise, the 14 members of the Campbeltown Pipe Band, who contributed the bagpipes and drums, were paid minimum wage for their efforts after a month of rehearsals. After some public complaints following the song’s success, Paul sent them an additional 200 pounds each.

What I love most about this song… First, the writing and recording of it were both very cool. While Paul had written the general idea and chorus of the song earlier, it was finished when Paul and Laine just walked around the hills of Scotland strumming their acoustic guitars and drinking the local ales (and maybe a touch of scotch). Due to the bagpipes, most of the song was recorded outside, as bagpipes generally must be. But Paul’s vocal and the guitars were also recorded outside, with a sock put on a microphone to deal with some of the wind noise. Second, sorry weasel but I love the bagpipes! They supplement the beautiful melody perfectly and aren’t overwhelming in this instance. Overall the song is a sweet folk singalong – in waltz time! – that provides a firm sense of place.

Paul produced not one, not two, but three promo videos for this one. Here are two of them: A One And A Two

Next up we see a band we saw in Tims list, as well as a song we saw.

The band we saw were huge in the UK but they did not translate to other countries. The driving force in this band had 16 top 40 hits in the UK with this band, 18 top 40 hits with his next band and 36 top 40 hits as a solo artist.
In the US he had one top 40 hit with the middle band
In my buffer market of Australia, he had 8 top 40 hits, 6 with the middle band and zero as a solo artist.
Definitely a UK artist.

The other song made Tims list but with a different artist. I love this version better. The original artist has had a lot of other artists sing their songs, sometimes their version is better, sometimes the other artist does it better

Dragon were one of the great Australian could have been bands. Arriving from New Zealand in the mid 70s they were led by brothers Marc and Todd Hunter. Singer Marc was charismatic, but erratic. Songwriter was guitarist Paul Hewson....no not Bono lol. This song about the Cuban missile crisis was big In Australia. “Are you old enough” followed soon after and went to number one and then the problems hit. Drug abuse was rife, with 3 members, including eventually Hewson succumbing to Heroin overdoses. Management was hopeless. Tours of America and attempts to break the band internationally failed with Marc often screaming abuse at audiences and the band did everything they could to piss off record execs. They split for a few years and came back under new songwriters with a song called Rain. #2 in Australia, it was Their only chart effort in the US at #88. They could write booming choruses, but the lyrics were manure and the videos were creative madness, in one, they let Bruce Spence from the Mad Max films free form thinking this would attract US audiences with the music of the song drowned out. Dragon sort of petered out. Marc died of throat cancer and the band now does reunion circuits with a cobbled together lineup. They had at least 10 songs that would have been international hits with more professionalism all round. A better lyricist and management that helped rather than hindered.
Good tune. Big fan of Rain as well. Point taken about the lyrics, but you look at lots of monster hits, the lyrics are trash with those too.

Good tune. Big fan of Rain as well. Point taken about the lyrics, but you look at lots of monster hits, the lyrics are trash with those too.
Nice.
True about lyrics, but for me to notice how bad they are, they have to be real bad lol
That said.....Paul Hewson....not Bono.....was a pretty good songwriter. Once they lost him, the lyrics got worse and they had professional songwriters helping them

I do have a soft spot for the band as they were the first band i saw live at age 14. Family friendly concert, nice support acts (Electric Pandas and Sharon O’Neill) and Marc Hunter comes on swearing non stop and talking graphically about sex repeatedly.

I think they would top my list of Aussie artists that shoukd have broke internationally, but never did. Think Skyhooks would be #2 (Ego is not a Dirty Word, Horror Movie, All My Friends are Getting Married etc)

#46 - The Jam - All Around the World
#7 out of 17 - New Wave

In the City gets most of the love when we talk about early Jam, but the follow up was the highest charting single of their first 8 singles and deserves mention as well. Driving force Paul Weller has had an incredible run in the UK since In the City, but couldnt get arrested elsewhere in the world. He is that rare phenomenon that didnt translate to other countries...almost. The Jam were seen as a cult band elsewhere with only “A Town Called Malice” doing well. Once the Jam imploded, Weller started up The Style Council with Mick Talbot. For some reason they resonated much better. My Ever Changing Mood broke the top 30 in the US and several of their sings performed well elsewhere. Turning solo in the early 90s, Weller had a great 20 year run with 36 top 40 hits in the UK until the charts went crazy in the early 10s. None of these songs registered anywhere else with any kind of impact outside critical circles

#45 - The Tavares - More than a Woman
#6 out of 10 - Black

For some reason this was the only song on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack to be done by two artists. Of course the well known Bee Gees version, but i really like what the Tavares did with it better. The Tavares had several hits on their own, most notably Heaven Must be Missing an Angel, but because the Bee Gees had so many other great songs they never released it as a single outside a few places like Australia. They deferred to releasing the Tavares version as a single and rightly so. Wasnt a massive hit, outside the UK, but so what? Just love the vibe they inject into the song.

Next up we have an artist I had pegged with a song inside my top 5. Unfortunately it was way too 1976 to include. This wasnt a bad replacement though. I do knock it down several ranking spots because a superior cover was done a decade later.

After that we get to a band led by a man much more famous in another arena. The band did well for a short period of time though with 9 consecutive top 15 songs in the Uk, starting with this one

#45 - The Tavares - More than a Woman
#6 out of 10 - Black

For some reason this was the only song on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack to be done by two artists. Of course the well known Bee Gees version, but i really like what the Tavares did with it better. The Tavares had several hits on their own, most notably Heaven Must be Missing an Angel, but because the Bee Gees had so many other great songs they never released it as a single outside a few places like Australia. They deferred to releasing the Tavares version as a single and rightly so. Wasnt a massive hit, outside the UK, but so what? Just love the vibe they inject into the song.
Tim took the Bee Gees version in his thread, IIRC. It's a good record, but so frothy a light breeze would blow it away. I like the Tavares take better - it's still pretty lightweight, but has a bit more grit to balance things out.

Just to do some more pre-empting
The top 10 contains:
2 in the Black category
3 in the Instrumental/Soundtrack category
2 in the Punk category
2 in the Electronic category
1 in the Australia category

The highest rank for the other categories
Mainstream/Other - 12
International - 11
New Wave - 15
International #1’s - 17
Disco - 16

Thoughts?
Same reason why The Jam had four UK #1s and zero hits in America. “Too British.”

Thoughts?
Same reason why The Jam had four UK #1s and zero hits in America. “Too British.”
The Jam had one hit in Australia “A Town Called Malice” and it was minor. Little elsewhere. They were indeed very British

Paul McCartney....was he too British in the Beatles? What about on the single beforehand “Maybe Im Amazed” which went top 10? What about the single after “A Little Luck” which went to number one”?

It went to number 1 in Australia, Austria, Belgium, South Africa, Netherlands, New Zealand and Germany....to name a few. Not too British for them. Only the US and Canada missed the boat on this and the only logical explanation is lack of label support. If it got radio airplay it would have been a big hit. Took about 3 listens before you were in.

#44 - Rod Stewart - I Don’t Want to Talk About It
#10 Out of 17 - Mainstream/Other

I had Rod Stewarts Killing of Georgie inside my top 5. Absolutely adore that song. Unfortunately as much as I tried to pick it, everything said 1976 on it and I had to make one of two last minute changes. So i picked a song from 1975s Atlantic Crossing lol.
If you take some libertys this song is probably eligible for every year from 1975 to 1980 and a few years after as well. It is an enduring classic from the great man and such a beautiful song. It was released as a double A Side with The First Cut is the Deepest in 1977, but frankly I know which is the better song. Some places got this in 1977, 1978 and 1979 in various formats. Even 1980 and 1990 got rereleases, but it went to number one in 1977 as part of the double A package in the UK

Now we can’t talk about this song without two other things. The 1988 cover by Everything but the Girl. Traci Thorn sings the **** out if it. Maybe it works better with a female vocalist, but its absolutely heartbreaking with her voice. The band were big fans of Rod Stewart and this was a very personal song sung with absolute passion.

The original artist and songwriter was Danny Whitten in 1971/2 on his only album with Crazy Horse. Looking up his story he was a great songwriter with drug issues. Neil Young fired him from the band and on the same day he overdosed. Neil Young has reflected on this often. Maybe others can say more about this.

#43 - Boomtown Rats - Looking after Number #1
#7 out of 18 - New Wave

This was the debut single for Irelands The Boomtown Rats and their charismatic frontman Bob Geldof. It was a golden start for the band and the first of 9 consecutive top 15 hits in the UK. The biggest of these was I Dont Like Mondays which was a global smash hit, but the best it could do in the US was #73. Perhaps the subject of school shootings didnt result in airplay. Rat Trap also went to #1 in the UK, but only Mondays resonated globally. After their great start it sort of collapsed, but Geldof became a media personality with his loud mouth and charisma. He married journalist Paula Yates and had 3 daughters with unusual names. Watching a documentary on famine in Ethiopia broke his heart. Moved to tears he reacted and phoned his friend Ultravox lead singer Midge Ure and Do they Know its Christmas was born. It overtook Mull of Kintyre as the biggest selling single in UK history and gave us the global event Live Aid soon after.

Thoughts?
The Jam had one hit in Australia “A Town Called Malice” and it was minor. Little elsewhere. They were indeed very British

Paul McCartney....was he too British in the Beatles? What about on the single beforehand “Maybe Im Amazed” which went top 10? What about the single after “A Little Luck” which went to number one”?

It went to number 1 in Australia, Austria, Belgium, South Africa, Netherlands, New Zealand and Germany....to name a few. Not too British for them. Only the US and Canada missed the boat on this and the only logical explanation is lack of label support. If it got radio airplay it would have been a big hit. Took about 3 listens before you were in.
Maybe I’m Amazed and With a Little Luck didn’t have bagpipes.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

it's a lost cause, man ... i went over all this prior to you - Sir Macca ain't "too British", the song were.

happy trails, Pip 😁

ETA: this quote fustercluck can snack a satchel

📉

#44 - Rod Stewart - I Don’t Want to Talk About It
#10 Out of 17 - Mainstream/Other

I had Rod Stewarts Killing of Georgie inside my top 5. Absolutely adore that song. Unfortunately as much as I tried to pick it, everything said 1976 on it and I had to make one of two last minute changes. So i picked a song from 1975s Atlantic Crossing lol.
If you take some libertys this song is probably eligible for every year from 1975 to 1980 and a few years after as well. It is an enduring classic from the great man and such a beautiful song. It was released as a double A Side with The First Cut is the Deepest in 1977, but frankly I know which is the better song. Some places got this in 1977, 1978 and 1979 in various formats. Even 1980 and 1990 got rereleases, but it went to number one in 1977 as part of the double A package in the UK

Now we can’t talk about this song without two other things. The 1988 cover by Everything but the Girl. Traci Thorn sings the **** out if it. Maybe it works better with a female vocalist, but its absolutely heartbreaking with her voice. The band were big fans of Rod Stewart and this was a very personal song sung with absolute passion.

The original artist and songwriter was Danny Whitten in 1971/2 on his only album with Crazy Horse. Looking up his story he was a great songwriter with drug issues. Neil Young fired him from the band and on the same day he overdosed. Neil Young has reflected on this often. Maybe others can say more about this.
I said a lot about this in my Neil Young countdown thread.

The first Crazy Horse album without Neil showed that Witten was a brilliant songwriter in his own right. It has several songs that are nearly as good as this one.

I also enjoy the Indigo Girls cover of this song.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

it's a lost cause, man ... i went over all this prior to you - Sir Macca ain't "too British", the song were.

happy trails, Pip 😁

📉
Those english, south africans, germans, swiss etc sure love their bagpipes......sarcasm
Rock music is littered with strange sounds, artists and yes bagpipes.

The record company put Give Ireland Back to the Irish and Mary Had a Little Lamb into the top 30. In fact every song McCartney released in the US with serious label support charted well, up to Mull of Kintyre.

Now “Bagpipes” is a lazy excuse. If the public hears this song it does what every other McCartney song does at the time and flies up the charts.

Ultimately i lose this argument because it didnt chart and it had bagpipes....The problem isnt the lack of public support. It would have hit with label support and airplay. It didnt chart cause his label went....yuck bagpipes.

I mean its not even in my top 20 McCartney solo songs, but Ive always been fascinated by why somgs chart well in some places but not others. Mull of Kintyre is STILL the biggest selling song in UK history that isnt a charity song. Only Scotland and to a lesser extent Ireland love the ****ing bagpipes. The English hate them just as much as the rest of us.

Next up in my why didnt it chart series....Sailing by Rod Stewart

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

happy trails, Pip 😁

📉
Those english, south africans, germans, swiss etc sure love their bagpipes......sarcasm

The record company put Give Ireland Back to the Irish and Mary Had a Little Lamb into the top 30. In fact every song McCartney released in the US with serious label support charted well, up to Mull of Kintyre.

Now “Bagpipes” is a lazy excuse. If the public hears this song it does what every other McCartney song does at the time and flies up the charts.

Ultimately i lose this argument because it didnt chart and it had bagpipes....The problem isnt the lack of public support. It would have hit with label support and airplay. It didnt chart cause his label went....yuck bagpipes.

I mean its not even in my top 20 McCartney solo songs, but Ive always been fascinated by why somgs chart well in some places but not others. Mull of Kintyre is STILL the biggest selling song in UK history that isnt a charity song. Only Scotland and to a lesser extent Ireland love the ****ing bagpipes. The English hate them just as much as the rest of us.

Dood!

Anyway, next up
We start with a song by a true one hit wonder. Oddly despite it sounding like US southern rock it was a much bigger hit in the UK and especially Australia where it went to #3. A remix of the song in 1990 went top 20 in the UK and Australia, but didnt do anything in the US.

After that we have an oddity that never charted, but retrospectively was covered by almost 20 artists. Diverse ones such as The Monkees, the Proclaimers, Elvis Costello, Mental as Anything and Green Day to name a few

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

happy trails, Pip 😁

📉

Me, too. And I think you've got a good handle on at least one of the "why they didn't" reasons with this song. Though, you have to wonder at the sanity of any exec wouldn't push a 1970s Paul single.

#42 - Ram Jam - Black Betty
#9 Out of 17 - Mainstream/Other

Now for an oddity. This song came out of nowhere and the band quickly disappeared soon after. Allegedly there was an issue where the NAACP werent happy about this song, but it was based on an old Leadbelly song and rocked up by Ram Jam. Seems harmless to me, but I dont know the issues. It dud make the top 20 in the US, but really did well in the UK and Australia where it went to #7 and #3 respectively. A Ben Liebrand remix version went top 20 in the UK and Oz as well in 1990.

Now for an oddity. This song came out of nowhere and the band quickly disappeared soon after. Allegedly there was an issue where the NAACP werent happy about this song, but it was based on an old Leadbelly song and rocked up by Ram Jam. Seems harmless to me, but I dont know the issues. It dud make the top 20 in the US, but really did well in the UK and Australia where it went to #7 and #3 respectively. A Ben Liebrand remix version went top 20 in the UK and Oz as well in 1990.
This was a bigger radio hit here in the States than its chart position would have you believe. AOR channels played the hell out of it. I doubt it would make a dent here if it came out today, though.

I knew a guy with a black 1970s Lincoln Mark IV with a "Black Betty" vanity license plate. Every time he drove by I thought of this song.

#41 - Wreckless Eric - Whole Wide World
#6 out of 18 - New Wave

Wreckless Eric was born Eric Goulden and became one of the first artists on the legendary Stiff Records. His debut single Whole Wide World attracted attention in critical circles but didnt sell. Somehow it has had a much stronger life post release as it appeared in a lot of 1977 lists when I was doing research. Wreckless Eric, despite having involvement in about two dozen albums, never charted, but this sng attracts other recording artists like few. Theres a list of about 20 covers on wiki including diverse names such as Elvis Costello, the Monkees, Lightning Seeds, Mental as Anything, Cage the Elephant and Green Days Billy Joe Armstrong, to name a few. Oddly enough it has a very Cars vibe to it,

all over the internet - never gets old for me ...

same.

all over the internet - never gets old for me ...

same.
So funny.

Anyway, next up
A group that for some reason I thought was black, maybe just like Pere Ubu because of their name, but in hindsight its even more stupid this time. I didnt categorize them as Black this time. They are in the International #1 category. This band did have four top 40 hits in the US. This wasnt one of them. Didnt even chart, but went big globally

After that we have a UK punk band, highly unusual even for Punk. They barely lasted a year together but left us one great song, although their album is well respected within the genre. Song has a very unusual title

Into the top 40
#40 - Manhattan Transfer - Chanson D’Amour
#3 out of 8 - International #1’s

Embarrassingly I thought this group were black. A) They definitely dont look like it and B) They definitely dont sound like it.
I blame my under 10 idiot self for misremembering. Havent thought about this song since its release at all until doing this list.
Anyway, Manhattan Transfer had a song that went to #22 in 1975 in the US called Operator. Then nada until 1980 when Twilight Zone went to #30. The Boy from New York City went to #7 the following year. After that only one song made the top 40 at #40. Now after Operator, Manhattan Transfer had 7 hits in the UK between Operator and Twilight Zone, including Chanson D’Amour which went to #1 in the UK.
All in all the band had 15 songs chart in the US or UK. Now its highly unusual that only 2 songs charted in both, while 13 only charted in one of the two regions. The 2 songs were Twilight Zone and 1983s Spice of Life

Users who are viewing this thread